Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just had my door buzzed by labour canvassers. (We have intercom thing for the flats).
"We're canvassing on behalf of the Labour party"
"Oh, I'm not voting Labour"
Silence as she doesn't know how to deal with that (probably knows I'm a former member).
Me: "I'm not voting for genocide, sorry".

Ed: I decided to say that because of all the supposed reports that 'on the doorsteps, Corbyn was the reason people weren't going to vote Labour' feedback from 2019 canvas. Well they can know that Starmer is the reason this time.

Does the political plan of Not Voting Labour extend anywhere beyond that? Owen Jones communicated something approaching a plan but his take was still pretty weak.

I genuinely think the entire project of the UK left now should be Proportional Representation, ally with the Greens, Reform, whoever is also getting hosed by FPTP. Feels like an open door right now and it's the only way lefties can actually achieve meaningful change. Raging about how the Labour Party is not a useful vehicle anymore is like, yeah no poo poo? so why make them the focus at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I will vote either for Green or Plaid Cymru depending on what candidates stand.

I don't think people will coalesce around alternatives to Labour this time round, but the more people who do, the more people might be encouraged to do so. The best I can hope for this time round is a hung parliament.

Local friends who have quit Labour are torn between voting for them to Get The Tories Out on, what I believe, is the deluded notion that Starmer will move leftwards once in power, or vote for green or plaid. I don't know what other parties might stand round here, and I always forget the LibDems exist - but I classify them as a branch of tory anyway because they have always (not just when Corbyn was LOTO) refused to work with Labour while happy to stand with the tories.

A labour party led by Starmer, Reeves & Streeting is no friend to the citizenry.

One of my friends quit Labour because he along with others in the Welsh labour 'family' (I can't remember exactly who he mentioned maybe Welsh Grassroots? But don't quote me on that!) had worked hard on motions relating to PR for a long time, and Starmer stamped on the lot. That's when he decided that the notion of work from the inside to change the party was never going to work.

My current constituency has always been Tory so will vote for Labour to kick them out.

My point is that with FPTP there will never be any alternative to coalesce around. The Corbyn movement was the last time lefties were able to have political influence, the role of Starmer et al at is to block the Labour Party as a vehicle for positive political change. There's no point even talking about Labour, or Welsh Labour or whatever, we need to change the electoral system to PR. It's a big fight but it's the only fight that matters and luckily it's winnable and not dependent on electoralism.

A Democratic Alliance would involve Reform and their voters, yes. The alternative is Starmers acolytes vs Penny Mordaunt tories literally forever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the greens and lib dems don't runs my consituency, so for me it's basically just voting for any decent seeming independants.

That's cool, throw your vote away on an independent that will lose. But in the meantime maybe put time into pushing the open door of electoral reform so your next vote might actually matter.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

crispix posted:

and leaving the EU was a blindingly loving stupid thing to do

In the grand scheme it'll probably be seen as a net positive tbh.

The economic hit is quite rightly falling into the "Whose GDP? Your GDP? What's a pint of milk?" framework. The UK economic situation is completely hosed by the Thatcherite consensus, we are systemically built around natural monopolies siphoning money into the rentier capitalist class, extra tarifs on exports or whatever is bad but it's also irrelevant?

Since brexit the EU has been forced to reform, for the first time in it's history, mainly to not potentially lose France too and like, the EU was/is bad from a democratic perspective in thousands of ways. It's an evil, technocratic, raw-power little institution and giving it a black eye was good. And if you give even the slightest gently caress about Ukraines defence that lowkey justifies brexit on its own, we were able to lead the way in their defence because we left the EU and weren't bound by their lovely arming procedures.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

The first page says for you not to post here.

It adds a certain frisson, I won't lie.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

It's crazy how far Paul Mason has fallen. I remember his book Why It's Kicking Off Everywhere was genuinely a good read on the 'arab spring', had legit good insights on globalism and had an excellent title. Now he's not even fully establishment, it feels like he's patheticallly begging to be allowed into the establishment?

The fact that the establishment media went so hard on fake antisemitism claims to shut down the lefty populist Corbyn movement has hosed up any actual discourse on the problem so badly, it's still completely in-group vs out-group judgements.

On a pro-Gaza march last weekend I heard some genuinely bad stuff though, not making any distinction between Israelis/IDF actions and Jews broadly. No space for that conversation though, and cunts like Mason aren't helping!

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What's the difference between an IK & a mod?

Historically the IK was the 'Idiot King', to smooth out cultural differences between UK threads and the broader forum. Like a yankoid mod might see the word oval office, freak out assuming it's a misogyny and start making dumb probabtions, the Idiot King is there to calm them down.

Still basically a mod but implictly a better mod than the norm.

Jakabite posted:

Wrong! Your decision isn’t ’lick and kiss Joe Biden’s peepee’ and your biases aren’t ’is a stupid prick’.

Are the mods genuinely being weird about Biden? He is better than Trump no?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Cannot belive Farage here was never soy-face memed, begging for it

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

It's such a dumb document, it's using these stupid little symbols of 'Britishness' like crown stamps and passport colours, as though those mean a gently caress to anybody.

The actual value material of brexit is resisting the EU, it's actively being able to resist the dictats. It's disgusting that the EU demanded NATO nations be so slow to support Ukraine, it's disgusting that it's unelected leaders gave a green light for Israel to impose collective punishment on the people of Gaza, it's beautiful that we resisted and spat in their eye.

The problem the writer has is being afraid of poetry. "Rise like lions after slumber" genuinely isn't cringe.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

crispix posted:

it's tempting with hindsight to question why they didn't (it would have torn the party asunder), but they should really have just dished the poo poo on the labour right, properly hosed them up

as it turns out tearing the party apart wouldn't have mattered much because we now know the party will never again serve the interests of the country's shat upon

You're absolutely right, the Labour party today is systemically a method to block left-wing policy, using it's FPTP position. Was at a branch meeting this evening, an older lady asked the candidate which of the natural monopolies Starmer pledged to bring into common ownership would be Labour policy to nationalise and she got completely shut-down/actively insulted by the party officials there.

Proportional representation needs to be the political project of the UK left. The Tories are the same wierd network of inbred sex-pests, nephews, rentiers and socioeconomic murderers they've always been, and Labour now is just them but dialled back 15%. Both parties are completely useless.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

This, remember they nationalised some train operators that went bust during Covid. Sunak could nationalise Thames Water for a bit of quick popularity that he sorely needs

But he won't. Sunak is personally very comfortable losing the next election and loving off to America, even the Tory MPs sure to lose their seats can pocket the £160,000 they made from the anti-Corbyn establishment animus. Even if Penny Mordaunt became leader tomorrow and carried that sword to every constituency promising to nationalise natural monopolies they'd still lose, so why bother?

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 6, 2024

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

fuctifino posted:

I don't know what the Greens are like nationally, but in the handful of times I tried to get involved, local representation seemed to consist of shy tories, centrists and conspiracy theorists of all varieties. There are some local green campaigners here who also campaign against 5G and vaccines while spouting a hell of a lot of fash-aligned conspiracy bullshit. I just nope out each time and keep my distance.

Way back in 2015 I worked for the Greens turning their 3000+ disparate fundraising lists into 1 actually useful spreadsheet, to their credit they do recruit from members and pay everyone involved at any level the Living Wage as a bare minimum.

But as a national party they are utterly useless, the leadership are overpaid hobbyists with no interest in any meaningful change. Their response to the Corbyn movement was to piss away money on phone campaigns trying to stop young people deserting them for Labour, the leadership completely leant into the establishment antisemitism smears and honestly where have they even been for the last half-decade? Do they even still exist besides Lucas, doing her pointless Westminster thing?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

My best guess at what Starmer would do in office is try to govern as if this was a continuation of the Blair government except with total incompetents in charge.

Specifically I think this would look like:
* No independent foreign policy. Follow the US lead whatever that is from time to time. Bomb who they bomb, shun who they shun etc.
* Increase public spending (people here tend to talk as if the Blair government cut spending: it actually rose from about £400m in 1997 to about £750M in 2013 in real terms, i.e. after inflation, then very slowly fell until 2018 or so). Source
* Mostly avoid culture wars; when forced to take a view, try to be in line with the general public, who are slightly conservative.
* Be quite authoritarian. Promote and support the police, expand monitoring, default to any position that gives the state more information and control relative to the individual citizen….

…Just handled by people who are completely broke-brained by social media, who have never lived in a world where they had to interact with physical reality and who are governing a much poorer country with a lot fewer levers to pull on to change things.

That all sounds right, wierdly the alt-right think Starmer will cut immigration in an 'only Nixon could go to China' type way. You're right that the Blair government doesn't get enough credit for welfare/infrastructure spending but economic circumstances now are different, you can only free up revenue if you're willing to fight powerful interest groups.

I just hate this kind of description of policy as though wasted opportunity costs aren't a thing. That we're going to suffer 5 more years of systematic growth in inequality is just assumed, it feels like 'Starmers government will not address capital capture and it's negative consequences' should be the defining point.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've been trying threads, and to some extend it's nice not to have to deal with an entire feed of howling derangement, but also its politics side is just wall-to-wall shitlib nonsense.

Threads, Bluesky, Mastodon 2.0 etc were all doomed to failure because they were so obviously a culture war response to Musk buying Twitter. The only users that jumped on were the shitlibs, they defined the culture and ruined it. Same as what happened with Truth Social, but from the right that time. If you haven't tried Telegram give that a go.

sebzilla posted:

Do a wicked sick kickflip entryism on the Greens

The Greens are immune to entryism, the leadership have internal admin positions absolutely locked down. It's why they're so comfortable with cranks in the membership, Green members are functionally just paypigs. Members pretending they're involved in something meaningful to support a leadership pretending it's serious about change.

Rarity posted:

Wtf that's me? Are you saying my vote... matters???

Proportional representation would mean every vote matters! And it would shake up the FPTP policy blockages!

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

huh? what about Bloc Party, Snow Patrol, Feeder, Funeral for a Friend, Bring Me the Horizon, Architects, Calvin Harris, Prodigy's revival, god drat it there's too many things

The cumulative fashion and cultural impact of all of them combined is less than the influence Avril Lavigne had. If you want to argue for UK music having a legit cultural impact it's drill from the cities and the post-covid folk festivals revival.

Giant is one of the songs that defines my conception of my own life, I love it, but pretending Calvin Harris/Rag 'n Bone has some wider cultural significance is just silly. There was a time when UK music conquered the world, it was when the rhyming slang for going on the dole was "on the rock and roll", our welfare state and the access to technology created a moment in time when meaningful art could be created and more importantly heard, but that moment is ended.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

sebzilla posted:

The most impactful UK musicians of recent years are, unexpectedly, (British) Sea Power because of their work on the soundtrack of the greatest CRPG of all time, Disco Elysium.

Disco Elysium could have been so amazing, they made a 'combat system' of differing political ideas but then completely hosed it by being boring orthodox shitlibs.

Rarity posted:

Calling the IKs on everyone in this thread who doesn't recognise our lord and saviour T Swift

Not a Swiftie but Anti-Hero hits.

big scary monsters posted:

Still not really sure why it's the RAF's job to shoot down drones and missiles over Israel. Someone get the Taxpayer's Alliance on this maybe?

The amount of money we spent stopping the Houthi blockade is astounding, especially as 'Houthis are only doing actions to stop the massacre in Gaza' is a completely coherent explanation for their activity profile. Between Med naval activity, finding ways to get aid in, using our bases to resupply Israeli jets and using our own fighters to intercept the Iran attack it's bloody ridiculous how much we're spending to support an ethnic cleansing/revenge campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Pretty sure all those complaining about the NatCs being closed down in Brussels didn't raise the mildest whisper when the German police forcefully shut down the Palestine Conference in Berlin last weekend.

Nope, and the Nat Con has been reallowed and given a quiet apology for heavy-handed police activity too. If they gave the slightest gently caress about free speech they should be using this moment to argue for the Palestine Conference people being allowed to gather too.

fuctifino posted:

Have any of them come up with a clear definition of woke yet? Or is it still just a lazy catch-all for everything they dislike?

The word OG came from the US Ferguson riots in 2014, notable because presumably Federal/police assets being provocateurs was happening to an obvious level that hasn't been documented since, "stay woke" meaning 'stay alert/stay aware' became the hashtag.

Now the right-wing are using 'woke' to mean any lefty or progressive cultural action, we've all seen silly headlines like 'Woke activists want to plant trees in local park!' etc. For the LBC level stuff that's where it ends. The higher level stuff GB News has tilted at is a bit more interesting in that they seem to have a coherent concept of wokeness that is functionally alt-right; international elites and finance titans are manipulating the world towards 'globohomo', global homogenisation, and reducing the capability of historically white countries to form an ethnic identity/reducing births in that populace by any means possible. It gets wierd but I sincerely think resisting that is why 'anti-woke' gets so much energy, they are arguing against something they aren't allowed to talk about.

There's also an incredibly based and true critique of "woke" from the left, which is that since the Occupy movement identity politics has been pushed as the politically correct avenue of dissent/action. If we're arguing about minorities being under-represented in X industry then we aren't unifying as the 99% against the 1%.

Tesseraction posted:

I think they were the one who kept doing posts about how English people weren't human in a way that went past "lol yeah gently caress the english" to "is that an Austrian accent?"

The exact opposite, I was the first to call that out. Can't remember exactly why I was threadbanned, think it was just being argumentative/a rude oval office generally and specifically being very 'no a second referendum when we haven't even left the EU is morally bad/will lose the election' when the UKMT consensus was on a second-ref delusion.