Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I haven't ventured into the Graun yet today to see the handwringing over Galloway (I presume there will be some).

It would be great if they interviewed people who would normally vote tory or labour in Rochdale and see why they have lent Galloway their support. Is it perhaps a case of stick it to both tory & labour or really anything at all to do with the ongoing genocide? (I mean they might have done this but I haven't looked yet).

The BoD are on the case already "dark day" etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Microplastics posted:

I'm gonna ask here in the UK politics thread because gently caress you that's why.

Why does twitter load in Firefox but not Chrome? I've consistently got the very helpful "Something went wrong" error message on every single tweet in the past week or so on Chrome, but it's completely fine in Firefox. I'm logged out of twitter in both (incidentally I can't log in to twitter on Chrome because "Something went wrong")

It works ok for me on chrome. Maybe you need to clear cache or something? Try loading in an incognito window see if it opens.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Yesterday's massacre by the Israelis finally seems to have shaken up France, Germany, US (a bit) from their complacency, and EU to restore funding to UNWRA.
Haven't seen anything from our benighted bunch of clowns. ( I stand to be corrected if anyone has seen anything).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

Speaking of utility companies, how often do people send in meter readings? It's been a while since I sent mine in (10 months according to an angry email I just got today from e.on) but since I don't have access to the meter myself (have to get landlord to come around and let me in since it's in a neighbouring property technically) it's bit of a hassle to do.

I should be able to cover even a sizable bill if needed so I'm not too worried about the "back-payment protection" which honestly sounds a bit dodgy to rely on anyway.

e: It's in my neighbours bike shed. I could ask them but last time I did they didn't want to let me in.

I do mine weekly and get a bill every week - unless I'm going to be away then I take one the day before I go and another one when I get home again (which should either be zero - other than standing charge - if I've cleaned out the fridge/freezer before I go - or just the cost of the fridge/freezer if I have to leave it on when away). But then my meter is in my flat.
Where I used to live, the meter was in the hairdressing salon downstairs which made it too awkward to do weekly so I tried to do monthly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

They've all got their knickers in a twist.

I live by the river (10-15m depending on how high it's rising) but I'm quite a long way from the sea.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

It's amazing to see just how rattled "the establishment" is over Galloway.
It's wall to wall "this is the end of life as we know it, the end of democracy, of British values" from politicians to 'news' media.
I can't recall ever seeing anything like it, not even the anti-Corbyn stuff.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bizarre choice of venue for a photoshoot!

Apparently she wants to be known as the Iron Chancellor.

I know, I know, don't kink shame.

Meanwhile in dead bird chat: Douglas Henshall (the actor) seems like a good egg.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mebh posted:

I mean, most of us were younger and didn't have the experience to do anything but believe that they were offering good things, so you vote for the good things! Hindsight being 20/20 and all it's easy to say they were obviously poo poo.

To the more politically experienced folks at the time in the thread, was it that obvious before the GE that they were full of poo poo? I remember political satire at the time slamming the Tories and Brown a lot (hislop calling him a barnacle repeatedly) and taking the piss out of the lib Dems, but not much else. They absolutely went all in on how sensible and good the coalition was.

I was living abroad at the time and had not sorted a postal vote (let alone the postal system where I was living was virtually non-existent) so I wasn't able to vote. But having refused to vote Labour in 2005 post-Iraq despite having a wonderful MP (Walthamstow - Neil Gerrard - somewhat in the style of Michael Foot - donkey jacket, Oxford educated, genuine concern for the 'working classes') whom I wrote to and said I was very sorry I couldn't vote for him but Bliar would take it as vindication of his policies. I honestly can't remember if I voted LibDem or Green in 2005, whichever it was, it was a protest vote. I wrote to Neil G about Iraq (before it started) and he said he was voting against war but also that the decision to take the country to war did not require parliamentary approval!

In 2010 I would have been really stuck if I'd had the option (Stella Creasy replaced Neil Gerrard at the 2010 election - NB if you google Neil Gerrard put MP after the name because there's a disgraced lawyer of the same name comes up first!
Having had the experience of cheering when Labour won in 1997 & them doing quite well until Iraq, that was a sobering experience - when over 1 million of us marched in central London, let alone all the others around the country, before the war started and to be completely & utterly ignored, was a lesson learned.

The first general election I got to vote in was 1979 and I was one of very few students who did NOT vote conservative. I remember almost all my fellows coming out with "I voted conservative because my parents always do". :shame: I think out of over 200 students in my department only about 5 of us didn't vote tory. So much for universities being hot beds of left wing propaganda!

Extremists chat: When I was at uni, we used to boycott Barclays Bank as it supported the apartheid regime in South Africa. We had a little chant we used to sing on demos: "Barclays Bank is a fascist bank, give your money to me". And I remember going on big demos in Hyde Park - Anti Nazi League etc & listening to Aswad & the ANC Choir in the park. So these big demos are nothing new at all.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 3, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

wasn't the iron chancellor gordon brown's nickname?

Oh yes! I'd forgotten that!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

First, this (posted by Tom London on dead bird site).

But the Collective have protected their tweets so you can't see any original.
Whether that is as a response to this article I don't know.

https://novaramedia.com/2024/03/01/a-pro-israel-group-is-trying-to-intimidate-palestine-protesters-with-claims-of-infiltration/

quote:

A group of anonymous pro-Israel digital vigilantes which claims to surveil supporters of Palestine could be exaggerating the sophistication of its activities in order to make people scared, Novara Media can reveal.

Shirion Collective, a self-described “private Jewish surveillance force”, stated in a post on X/Twitter on 13 February that it was looking for “volunteers willing to wear keffiyehs and walk in” pro-Palestine demonstrations in seven major cities on 17 February as part of “Operation Global Insight”, an initiative “to uphold Western values and safeguard Israel and the Jewish people”.

etc

Also:

(sorry for link but there's a video). The marchers completely ignore them.

https://x.com/LensVeritatis/status/1764219103705997743?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 3, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

.nm I think it was the earlier one.

Actually I think it might be a new one but it's so difficult to find out!

Anyway this is it:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2024/3/3/israels-war-on-gaza-live-every-minute-counts-as-hunger-kills-in-gaza

I'm confused DOT com. (On that note, I stood in the queue in the shop this afternoon for 5 mins before remembering I wasn't actually buying anything - age related defects).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 4, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I was in Unison when I got made redundant from the NHS back around the late 90s and they weren't particularly great. Though it was great to see my boss shrivel when I said I was bringing my union rep to the meeting LOL.

I'm in Unite now - they're not perfect but I think on the whole they're better than the other two, not that I've had need of their services so far.

Establishment meltdown chat:

It's been wonderful to see them all meltdown over Galloway. But the question I ask myself, why is it Galloway that's caused them to get in a complete lather when other mavericks haven't? But them I'm having trouble thinking of a maverick who actually got elected - even Fromage didn't manage that.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 4, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Watching that Adam Curtis / Martin Michael Sheen drama 'The Way' and gotta say, it's pretty terrible.

I do like The Welsh Catcher though, driving around border towns with a big zoo cage full of Welsh people on the bed of his truck.

I didn't really like The Way. I found it odd, and not in an 'intriguing' way.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

Galloway is a baffling politician to me. Like maybe 60% his takes are actually very on point, but the remainder are absolute horseshit. He seems generally alright on foreign policy and economics but dear god he can be pretty reactionary socially and the gleeful transphobia is grim. I don't know how much of this is actually what he genuinely believes and how much is him actively playing to religious conservatives in his constituency, but I guess that's besides the point. I do think he's a narcissist, and he's clearly primarily interested in George Galloway first and foremost.

Still, many problematic issues aside, he's consistently been good on Palestine and he's positioning himself as a left-wing populist, so if nothing else it'll be good to have someone in the commons actually calling the centrists out, and it's nice to see the major parties losing their minds about him. I'm interested to see how things play out.

You're right that he has been consistent on Palestine for decades. Some folk on the dead bird site claim he's jumping on the pro-Palestine bandwagon but assuredly he is not. One of his ex wives was Palestinian. (Ed: to be clear I'm talking about Galloway's wife!)
I do feel rather aggrieved when some on the left start plumping him (and Chris Williamson) in with Corbyn "he should start a party with Corbyn" type comments. Other than the Palestinian position, I cannot think he has much in common with Corbyn at all. Perhaps Corbyn could do with a few lessons in assertiveness & sticking it to the man from him but that's about all - but then he wouldn't be Corbyn would he.

I think it highlights the point that people are more complicated than being 'left' or 'right', 'pro this' or 'anti that' and binary divisions are not helpful.
I've found this with quite a lot of people I know, you'll start from a place of agreement on some issue eg Palestine and then as you push on they do shift and make you go "OMG" - I do know people with start from a pro-Palestine position and then do end up in a genuinely antisemitic place. Or say agreeing on various social issues then suddenly come out with 'women have a right to say who is allowed in the ladies' powder room' and all that implies (to clarify - they mean ban transwomen which would be apparent from further conversation).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 4, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

This is what Corbyn is suing Fromage for:

Spoilered as twitter link for GBNews Fromage show video:

https://x.com/AkanKwaku/status/1764686122838298751?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dabir posted:

Our Nige's wife is German, isn't she

Yes, I was talking about Galloway's wife who was Palestinian!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Aren't those sort of curtains partly for acoustic reasons to reduce echoing? (Looks better than loads of egg boxes glued to the walls & ceiling)

I went to a conference at the big place in Glasgow (SEC?) and it was partitioned into small rooms but without ceilings of any sort over them just open to the roof and the acoustics were dreadful, you couldn't hear what the panels were saying even just a few meters away, yet the sounds from adjacent rooms were really loud. (It was 2005 so they might have improved since then).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 5, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

If the best a politician can muster is "I support puppies and kittens not being sad" then what are they even for? Do I need politicians to tell me they don't like puppies and kittens being sad? Can we get labour to support bringing israel to the ICC if we point out they're bombing puppies and kittens as well?

Actually..... this is a ton more likely to work with those who either don't want to think about Israel/Palestine or who just respond with 'they're all the same why are we even bothered about a foreign land 3000 miles away none of our business etc' or are in the 'can't we all just get along' crowd.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Given the rainbow washing approach establishing the pattern I suspect the response would be "oh you don't like us bombing the puppies well hamas personally invented XL bullies to eat western children yet you support them????"

Are you saying hamas didn't invent xl bullies? What are you, some kind of t*r*st?
=====================================================
Separate topic:

Meanwhile in other news, it seems that Daniel "Is this a calendar I see before me" Hagari has not in fact resigned contrary to all the tweets yesterday about mass resignations at the top of IDF. And there was me thinking he'd been threatened by Lieutenant Friday.

Separate topic:

ThomasPaine posted:

I remember reading Caroline Lucas' book on becoming an MP and she goes into the various weird ways the commons functions day to day and I certainly don't envy him. Even things like office allocation are done in a way that very much benefits members of the bigger parties and particularly those with the right friends. She did alright because I guess as a polite Green she probably wasn't really perceived as a threat and can be quite charming, but I imagine that Georgy, being detested by almost every MP in there, is going to be working from a stationary cupboard in the bowels of the palace, probably opposite that one remote toilet the cleaners only remember about every other month.

Don't forget he's been an MP several times so is probably well aware of what goes on. Though rumour has it he wasn't seen around Westminster much.

Separate topic:

https://www.jpost.com/omg/article-789809?dicbo=v2-JITeebP

Never mind doing a genocide, the act which gets you put on trial is cooking hot dogs on the sabbath:

quote:

Two soldiers have been sentenced to 20 days in military prison after being caught warming up hot dogs in a military kitchen on Shabbat, according to a KAN11 report on Friday.

The pair were caught by a third soldier who entered the kitchen and saw them committing the act.

They were summoned to trial, where they initially denied the charges but later confessed and were sentenced to at least 20 days in prison.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 5, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Baroness Jones, "I'm deeply offended its been brought to us.. It's a mess of a bill.. It's illegal and nonsensical.. We are being asked to indulge in pointless chatter because whatever we say the government will not listen to us"
@GreenJennyJones

"And this is partly fuelled by the Labour front bench that seems to be rewriting the Salisbury convention - that we do not try to stop anything in the government's manifesto"

"In fact the Labour front benches say the Lords must not interfere with any legislation or decision by the government or the commons because they are elected and we are not. Then what is the point of the House of Lords?"

"We have centuries of experience and knowledge and we did have the opportunity to stop this foolish bill and the Labour front bench decided that we would not.. I think that's an abdication of their responsibility"

"And it grieves me that they might actually win the election and then behave in the same way as the Conservative party"

Link to tweet with video of her saying all this:

https://x.com/implausibleblog/status/1764696351655317805?s=20

(she's a Green btw)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Bring back those 90s diesel Mercedes that will run on chip fat and rubbing alcohol too.

Am I old because I knew instantly what film that image is from?

:corsair:

Or do the young 'uns also know?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fuctifino posted:

Apparently 'Kate Middleton' has been 'seen'!

Please don't ask what's happening on the underside of the car with those spare tyres, nor why this is the best picture a pap was able to get given the technology of today.

GOD SAVE OUR FUTURE QUEEN! :toot:

Have you not read twitter? That is either Pippa OR Ozzy Osbourne pretending to be Kate to allay rumours that she is no longer of this earth.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

BBC link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-68471055

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

From what I gather (ok from watching too much Blaze channel), the Knights Templar had a complicated and not altogether adversarial relationship with the Muslamics.

Eg

quote:

Robert of St. Albans (died 1187)[1] was an English templar knight who converted to Islam from Christianity.[2] In 1187, he led an army for Saladin[3] against the Crusaders during the Battle of Hattin as well as the reconquest of Jerusalem,[4] which was at the time under the control of the Franks.[5]

Robert eventually married the niece of Saladin,[6] but was killed shortly after outside Jerusalem.[7]

Robert's conversion to Islam caused significant dismay among the Christians and sparked ill-will toward the Knights Templar in general.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_of_St._Albans

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Remember hearing him talk to mum on the phone like a year ago ranting about how a family in-law was a "capitalist pig" and hooting to myself

That's like me about 30 years ago completely pissed out of my head in Camden - in my work suit - went to the cashpoint to go get more money to spend on £5 jugs of cocktails with my friends, and this black guy pushed in front of me. I started yelling "fascist pig" at him. He turned round and said "What did you say" (in a menacing way) and I snarled "I said you're a fascist pig" he nodded his head and said "Oh, that's ok". I guess he thought I said something racist.
When I sobered up I thought I bet that's the first time a woman in a business suit called him a fascist pig.
NOT my proudest moment.

big scary monsters posted:

We're like a decade from the Poles complaining about all those damned Brits coming over there, taking their jobs, opening their weird fish and chip shops, and not even learning the language.

Almost back to the Boys from the Blackstuff era except that was Germany not Poland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aObZJN9zDtA

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 5, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2024/mar/05/talktv-to-close-down-television-channel-and-go-online-only

quote:

TalkTV to close down television channel and go online only
Move announced by News UK venture comes weeks after Piers Morgan left his daily show on channel

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

kingturnip posted:

Well, it's at least 95% of the reason that governments agree to give up control over these things in the first place.
As with most things, a portion of the blame should be held by the journalists who uncritically report on these things, since it allows the governments' narratives of "this is to ensure that local issues can be prioritised; they don't need Whitehall making their decisions" to go unchallenged.

One of my friends is a firm believer that if a Labour council goes bankrupt it is their entire fault because it is up to them how to apportion their budget - nothing to do with budget cuts from Westminster, no accounting for those services councils are legally obliged to provide. I haven't asked her how that tallies with the tory councils also on the verge of - if not already - bankruptcy. (Just avoiding all political discussions with her these days).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

This is from 2015 but still applies as far as I know:

https://www.bevanbrittan.com/insights/articles/2015/thepoliticsofsettingthebudget/

quote:

The politics of setting the Budget

Legal requirements
The provisions of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 (LGFA 1992) set out what the council has to base its budget calculations upon, and require the council to set a balance budget with regard to the advice of its Chief Finance Officer (section 151). The setting of the budget is a function reserved to full Council, who will consider the draft budget which has been prepared by the Executive (in a Leader and Cabinet or Elected Mayor model). Once the budget has been agreed by full Council the Executive cannot make any decisions which conflict with it, although virements and year-in-year changes can be made in accordance with the council's financial regulations.

Section 30(6) LGFA 1992 provides that the council has got to set its budget before 11 March in the financial year preceding the one in respect of which the budget is set, although failure to set a budget within the deadline does not in itself invalidate that budget. Such delay, however, may have significant financial administrative and legal implications, including potentially an individual liability for those members who contributed to the failure to set the budget. If a budget is not set, s.66 LGFA 1992 provides that the failure or delay to or in setting the council tax can only be challenged by an application for judicial review, with either the Secretary of State or any other person with sufficient interest (which potentially could include a council taxpayer) able to apply.

Duty to provide services
However, budget set or not, the council has a legal duty to provide a range of statutory services and these duties are not absolved if the budget is set late. Most councils must also consider the impact on precepting authorities such as the Fire Service and the Police, to whom the council will have to pay the monies due whether or not it has collected them through council tax. Furthermore, a delay in setting the budget may well affect the council's ability to enter into any new agreements unless the budget is agreed as otherwise these would be potentially unlawful as unfunded commitments. Councils also have increasingly important financial and corporate governance reputations to keep strong and the failure to set a council tax, or even informal references to a potential failure to set a council tax, would be likely to have a significant adverse impact on the council's reputation locally and nationally in terms of investor confidence.

If members decide that they will not set the council tax, there are likely to be some liability issues. Members have to abide by their council's Code of Conduct and, as members have an active duty to ensure that the council sets a lawful budget, voting against those proposals repeatedly knowing that the result will be no lawful budget is almost certainly incompatible with their obligations under the Code as it is bound to bring the council into disrepute. Furthermore, although surcharge has long since been abolished, if a councillor's wilful misconduct in refusing to set the budget is found to have caused a financial loss to the council they may, be liable to make good such loss. To get such a finding, it would have to be proved that the members were acting deliberately or recklessly and in a way which involved persistent failure to facilitate the setting of a lawful budget.

... (lots more info)

Ludicrous.

This is probably what all those people egging 'lefty' councils not to agree a slashed budget don't realize, councillors could be held personally liable at some point.

Merthyr Tydfil is on the ropes:

https://www.herald.wales/south-wales/merthyr-tydfil/merthyr-tydfil-council-could-grind-to-a-halt-without-balanced-budget

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 6, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I bet if you renamed 'disestablishmentarianism' to 'privatizing the CofE' you could get the tories to support it in an instant, it's pretty funny that one of the few Crown enterprises they haven't scrapped or sold off is the one that allows a bunch of old men to wander around the upper house scuppering all their plans.

That used to be my dad's favourite trick.

"antidisestablishmentarianism is a very long word, spell it" (to which of course the answer is I T).

Mum's just popped round, giving her the latest Kate news off twitter. Her eyes popped out of her head when I explained "pegging" to her.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 6, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I was thinking more like Bad Eel

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

The... uh.. what's going on with Kate?

She's not been seen alive in public since Xmas Day.
Twitter is rife with speculation: dead, DV so bad she was hospitalized by a huge punch to the guts, they're getting divorced & she's run away....

Then there was that photo which suddenly appeared - entirely unconnected I'm sure - which some say was her in a car, but doesn't really look like her, looks like a cross between her sister Pippa & Ozzie Osbourne.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

erm.. so much for Starmer's Good War.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NHS GP trip report:

So, for the past month I've had a 'pad' of liquid on one of my knees size of my hand. An MRI abroad in 2017 mentioned an ancient crack that had arthritis crystals (?) growing in it amongst other things. It's been really painful and making exercise difficult (depending on exactly what is going on, exercise could make it a lot worse if it is bone-on-bone action). So went to the GP today. She had a look. She thinks it's soft tissue related and that accords with other things in the MRI scan report from 7 years ago. She's no longer allowed to book MRI scans, they have to be booked by a consultant.

So she said I can book an xray myself at the nearest NHS xray place but she doesn't think an xray is going to show the problem she thinks it is.

So she's also putting me on the waiting list for consultant (18 months - 2 years) and they can arrange me an MRI scan (another 6 month - year wait). So looks like 3 YEARS before a somewhat painful and limiting problem can be looked at properly.

Or, I could spend around £400 + transport costs to go private and get it done within a week or two to fit round my commitments.

This is happening all over. Quality of life stuff that would make peoples' lives that much better is going to be a toss up between waiting for the NHS misery for 3 years or 'have credit card will travel' & get it at least properly inspected within a month (which is more to do with my commitments & transport arrangements than).

Having just shelled out £171 for emergency private dentistry I hadn't planned for, I guess I will now spend another say £450 on private diagnostics because hobbling around in pain for 3 years is just not on for me - I suffer from a lot of stiffness generally and must walk or swim otherwise I get terrible cramping in all my muscles. That is a whole month's pay gone in a puff of smoke.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Man mephedrone was great, what a time to be alive.

Edit : terrible snype 23 is a sacred number hail eris, all hail dischordia.

Oh I missed your edit.
Sat in a pub once in 1980 after the most boring of LP meetings and all they were jabbering on about was GCs & ECs etc. So I sighed and said to the bloke opposite me "Hail Eris", having looked equally as bored as me, his eyes lit up and he said "All hail Discordia!" so we left the LP behind as we compared notes on The MGT etc.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lard chat:

This is a really old website but there's some fun stuff on it. I used to watch Mold Cam back in the distant past. And as for the photos of Paul's accident bruises - well. Some of the links are long dead now.

http://lard.net/

quote:

The LARD Network is one of the first websites on the Internet. It has been continuously online since 1994, before WIFI, before Google, before smartphones, maybe before you were born. Other sites come and go (mp3.com, hotbot, webvan, altavista, kozmo, excite, pets.com, napster, compusa, geocities, infospace, and many more...), but you can depend on the LARD Network to be around for your great grandchildren to enjoy.

Material here is Copyright (c) 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 by David Lai, and is the sole opinion of David Lai. Permission is hereby granted for any use as long as you can prove to me you gained at least 25 lbs. in the past year.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Something going on in Cardiff. NOT an explosion apparently.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/live-updates-amid-huge-emergency-28769194

Live updates after reports of 'explosion' in Cardiff city centre
Part of St Mary Street in Cardiff city centre was closed in both directions

Bookmark
ByFfion LewisSenior reporterJonathon HillNews reporter
UPDATED21:04, 6 MAR 2024

There was a large emergency services presence Cardiff city centre on Wednesday night with a cordon in place as one of the main routes through the capital was closed. Part of St Mary Street was closed in both directions due to a "police incident" with firefighters called to what was initially described as an "explosion".

The road was closed from Wood Street to Mill Lane. Photos from the area showed several fire service and police vehicles and there was a cordon in place near the Brewery Quarter though the cordon came down just before 8.45pm.

A spokesman for South Wales Fire and Rescue service said they received a call at 7.06pm to initial reports of an "explosion". However they said when crews attended this was not the case but could not share any more detail of the nature of the incident.

The force confirmed the incident was centred on the Brewery Quarter in St Mary Street. They said five fire trucks had attended and they were being supporters by specialist officers, Welsh Water, the National Grid, and South Wales Police.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Not heard of this MP before.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Hello if you are reading this thread.

I feel sorry for the innocent crew members on the all the ships (including True Confidence) caught up in all this, and as you pointed out in your posts in the winter thread, the crew of these ships often are not western, and were worried about being killed at work. While the relevant govts & companies are more concerned with disruption to trade & supply chains than the actual people.

Couple of quotes from the article.

quote:

Three crew members had been killed and at least four injured, including three critically.
The vessel had a crew of 20, comprising one Indian, four Vietnamese and 15 Filipino nationals.
Three armed guards - two from Sri Lanka and one from Nepal - were also on board.

source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68490695

(sorry if the words are a bit muddled, on strong painkillers tonight!)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jeremy Corbyn
@jeremycorbyn
·
7h
The Tories like to warn people that I would have taken this country in a very different direction.

They're absolutely right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oct 7th report from the Intercept.

I know not everyone wants to read this stuff ('impotent rage' is why I have to cut off from it sometimes) so have spoilered the link and a short quote from the report.

https://theintercept.com/2024/03/04/nyt-october-7-sexual-violence-kibbutz-beeri/

quote:

A recent interview in the Israeli media with the Sharabi sisters’ grandparents offers details that directly contradict the Times reporting that the girls at Kibbutz Be’eri were sexually assaulted on October 7. “They were just shot — nothing else had been done to them,” their grandmother Gillian Brisley told Channel 12.