Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Uncool Keith and the Ultrarepellant MPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

justcola posted:

old goons: what was working in an office like before the internet/computers? Was it just rooms of people typing and smoking cigarettes? I imagine it would be such a clatter that it'd make me spring from my desk to see what was the matter.

Also; did meetings happen with less regularity as it was more of a pain to organise, or did a telephone and a switchboard do all that work?

I have worked with some older people who used to work for councils etc. who have hinted at such things, like filing cabinets, and similar skeuomorphs, but I want the real deal. I was thinking of these boxes earlier and made me wonder what the differences would have been having to do everything analogue style.

My dad did an office job in the 70s and was proper old school vibes "defer to the boss" kind of thing. It was a financial company still in its old victorian offices, brass nameplates on the door, metal filing cabinets, green glass desk lamps, furniture that looked like it had had the building built around it. All the customer records lived on these weird square cards and came home with him in a metal box about a foot cubed that hinged open like a packet of fags. He was issued a mechanical typewriter for doing work on and a mechanical adding machine - we were still finding stashes of the rolls of paper for that when we cleared their house.

Mum was still working at the deaf school in those days and I have memories of being told to sit in this massive draughty office and wait for him to finish and that it was very important I was quiet because of the boss, you see. Didn't want to get Dad in trouble. Part of me thinks that was just a thing they said to keep me quiet but it really did feel like there was this strict hierarchy there, seeped into the walls of the building. Don't remember smoke except EVERYTHING look like it had had smoke in it for 100 years.

They cleared out and moved into "modern" 80s offices not long after which had Computers and he was given a ruggedized thing that looked like a ZX spectrum with a LCD screen that he had to connect up to a modem to talk to the mainframe. (Till he died, he pronounced it "modum"). Dad didn't get on with it, hated the electronic typewriter, hated the company's sans serif rebrand, hated the surreal adverts on TV but especially hated having to call his new boss by his first name. Man was analogue as gently caress.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
All jokes aside you do have to wonder if it's starting to sink in at the palace how tenuous their control on the media is getting.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
"the Kate Middleton pic was taken last year because if you look at this picture from then you can compare the outfits. Now, they all look different but they just shows how drastic the photoshopping is" is an AMAZING take

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

OwlFancier posted:

I do honestly wonder if there isn't some perverse attraction to being told to gently caress off by the plebs. Like they get deference in the rest of their life so they're unable to really deal with someone just telling them to eat a dick.

People are disagreeing with me and I don't like it = They are bad people and they are being nasty

Bad people are being nasty = I am, by contrast, good

Lots of people are being nasty to me in quite a big number = Wow, I must be brilliant

Narcissism all the way down, basically

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Always nice to see the Tories getting a kicking especially when it involves justly calling them out but the thing is they've been enacting racist policies their whole tenure and are still doing, and will keep doing as long as they're in. The racism never stops. If you're in power these days you can do or say anything you like as long as you do it with enough decorum, and I can't help think that the only thing that's tripped them up this time isn't that the racism was especially egregious for them, it was just delivered in an indecorous way, and that kind of takes the sheen off it a bit.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Vodka, midori and lemonade is a nice melon flavoured drink.

But also you can freeze chunks of watermelon and use them with rum and lime juice and a few other things and make watermelon daiquiri. I forget the recipe I have to look it up every time

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
They also have Greggs Outlet stores that sell unsold food at a discount to cut food waste and help people on low incomes

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Did you know Milton Keynes is named after neither Milton, nor Keynes

Edit: Someone told me this and it was only when I hit enter on this post I thought "wait, surely that's bullshit" and sure enough...

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 23, 2024

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Rarity posted:

I see the cops have already made Scotland's anti-hate law irrelevant by giving JK a free pass

No though it's great, official sign-off at the highest level in the land that we can just ignore laws we disagree with! I can think of a few amazing ones if we can use this excuse

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

keep punching joe posted:

He made it to the new money, I wonder if he'll live to see them in circulation?

He appears to be the king of *squints* Sugland

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
We can't all be Necrothatcher

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
It is exhausting and confusing trying to square in my head the kind of poo poo that is being pulled with Cass and the responses to it, and the love and support I get from places like here and my day today. Yesterday depressed me mostly because I'm thinking of the trans kids I met on my own journey who are being talked about but never to in this endless loving "debate". Kids who had a sense of clarity of self and bravery that I never had at that age.

Worrying about my own safety feels abstract and indulgent (it's not, but a voice inside tells me it is). But the kids in the path of this that society had started to accommodate that have just had the rug pulled on them, that's just depressing up and down. It feels like we're standing *this close* to a better loving world and the Starmers and the Streetings of the world are standing in safety on the wall of it kicking people back into danger.

There are lots of people out there with their heads on right that are furious as I am about this, I know. Not least the trans kids themselves. It seems telling that we are never allowed to hear from them in the news, just what Reasonable Concerns from Tunbridge Wells thinks about them while people with nothing to say and nothing to add poo poo up this thread and every other outlet with "well actually, if you listen to what Reasonable Concerns is saying raar raar". gently caress that, listen to trans kids

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Josef bugman posted:

I am glad that there are a lot of supportive people in the thread. Does anyone know what we can do in practicalities to help people suffering from this, is their a pressure group or organisation specifically helping out or setting up opposition to this poo poo?

Off the top of my head and things that aren't like "your local queer bookshop probably has a bunch of stuff", Good Law Project amongst other things does some good work trying to challenge the legal/political system. As does Gendered Intelligence.

And if your access to healthcare has been shut off, hrtcafe.net exists

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Bone density is fucky, obvs I transitioned late anyway, but they warned me about how hormones can do a number on your bones because of something to do with calcium, but the answer was "keep an eye on it, drink milk and make sure you get lots of vitamin D cos it metabolises to something that helps wtih that". It's not like it's an insurmountable problem, it's like anything medical.

Either way it's wildly, massively preferable to not transitioning, there's no world where I'm sitting there in my old body going "ah well, at least I have really dense bones".

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Lately I've been listening to DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ whos last album was a 4 hour album of plunderphonic outsider house. She's anonymous but apparently from London so go British music I guess.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Genuinely pathetic to see these papers contort themselves to give a poo poo about *checks notes* tabletop gaming.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
"people died so you could have that vote" is wild when you think about it. Invoking legalised state violence as a defence of a system that arguably exists to stop illegalised violence *against* the state. I dunno maybe the most "well duh" thing I've ever said but it's never really clicked for me how succinct that little nugget is. Then you think about the people that died at the hands of the state directly and indirectly...

Crazy how these little things people just embed so many contradictions within them

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

forkboy84 posted:

OK, standard fare at the start but going from that to "we need a general election" just makes it sound like he doesn't realise that the Scottish elections are different to the Westminster ones.

For a long time now we've had a whole bunch of fundamentally unserious people in politics who don't seem to have much of a grasp of how the system works at all sorts of levels but the amount the whole thing's bent to accomodate and protect them means it doesn't actually have any consequences for them. They kind of just say whatever they like and pretend whatever happens was what they want to do all along.

Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak as those kids at the amusement arcade "playing" the "insert coin" screen, in a Tory Power Stance.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Nothing going on in my deep blue southern seat so no ballots to spoil. I'm moving up North soon though (to a city!) so hopefully something meaningful to do by the time a general rolls around.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Pistol_Pete posted:

He really does have a remarkable propensity for provocative, extremely badly thought out actions, doesn't he?

His whole shtik is riding the "you can't do anything nowadays" outrage but because the thought police state he's conjuring is totally imaginary, the only way he can get the pushback he wants is by committing actual crimes. Absolute batshit kicking yourself in the nuts behaviour.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

And you may tell yourself - "This is not my beautiful country!"

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Uncanny valleys

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
God, I can see getting to the beach and being determined to have your holiday but why would you paddle in that? Get out of the water :gonk:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Get one of those fancy see through toasters so you can see how done the toast is and stop it when its the perfect shade of done

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Guavanaut posted:

Cooper: I will ban each of these by name to look tough

"Bec De Corbin :argh: "

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
That's rough, Jaeluni, I'm so sorry. All I know about cancer is what I've seen from watching family members and friends deal with it so all I can contribute about treatment is it can be very individual what people can get on with and what works best. But the flip side of that it is absolutely out there, there are lots of options, and I've seen it work. I hope you find something, and all goes well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

keep punching joe posted:

Daily Mail ran two articles today complaining about pubs favouring cashless transactions. I don't get it, why are old people so wedded to using cash for everything.

With the cards they can track you, yeah? Everything you spend goes into a computer and stores it against your number and they can keep an eye on if you're eating what they want you to eat and doing what they don't want you to do. And the pounds have the queen's head on them cos they're British but they don't want you thinking about that cos it's not allowed

Or something like that