Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

mediaphage posted:

lmao how often do you see a riding change by 48 percent

"a riding"?! What was it like in the 19th century where you come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

xtothez posted:

"Vimes' LED headlights" doesn't have quite the same ring to it, sadly

The thing that immediately stood out to me here is that the guy is paying bare minimum into a pension and wants to pay less. The first advice people with this level of income get is to increase pension contributions where possible, as it's <=50p per £1 in your pocket now versus >= 80p towards retirement. With large enough contributions he could even be claiming child benefit for those two kids to offset the lower take-home figure, while paying substantially less of his gross income to tax.

However spunking between £1k and £2k on a car lease is obviously more important.

It doesn't say he's putting the minimum into his pension; it says he's considering putting less in which means he's not putting the minimum in. You lose your child benefit between £50k and £60k income so he would have to be putting in £14k to his pension before seeing a penny of that back so that's frankly ludicrous advice if they don't have the disposable income no matter how attractive the tax break is. Assuming he's putting in a fairly standard 10% himself at the moment that would be doubling his contributions. Nor does it say anywhere they're paying between £1k and £2k on a car lease, a quick check on Autotrader reveals estate cars (assuming as he has kids) lease deals from £390/month and the majority of all deals are under £700. If you deflate his salary to 2013 (when the high income child benefit cap was introduced) he would've been on about £55k, so the fiscal drag has notionally reduced their child benefit from 50% of it to 0% which is ~£80/month. On £74k his student loan repayments will actually be £350 a month. Given his age assuming he's on a plan 2 student loan and graduated with about 40k of debt the current interest rate is 7.7% and lets say he might have about £25k still on it he'll still be paying this off for at least ten years as the interest is gobbling up half the repayments. It's fair to say they are a good £430/month worse off than an equivalent household 10 years ago, although it's clear the punitive student debt situation is the main cause of this not tax proper; is he even wrong to not see the distinction when the reality for an entire generation of graduates is that it effectively is a tax to them? I think bozza was spot on with his take and it's baffling to see all these prolier-than-thou takes on a household with two kids that doesn't make that much given the wife doesn't work - likely because of the shitshow that is UK childcare and its associated costs.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Guavanaut posted:

It's probably because his solution to the crisis facing him and everyone on less than him is "I should pay less taxes."

If we taxed wealth properly then he probably could pay less taxes. Is your proposition that families with young children who are materially worse off than equivalent families 10 years ago and are facing decaying public services and a high interest high inflation economy should be paying more in taxes? Simply because he's baited into saying an ignorant thing by a hack journalist? I didn't realise we only wanted to improve conditions for the purest of true believers.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Guavanaut posted:

He could be on £250k a year and come out with something like "I'm worse off than 10 years ago, we should have free childcare, free meals for kids, and vastly increased child benefits, I'd happily pay double in tax for that because I'd still be better off at the end of the month" and I'd think yeah that's fine, or he could be on £15k a year and say "taxes should be lower so I get more" and I'd still think them an idiot.

I don't think he should be eaten by wolves or anything, but I don't think he was baited into anything, he's still in a trickle down economics bubble, which is probably in large part because of how insulated he was up until now.

I don't care if you think the guy's an idiot but half the goons itt are basically denying the material circumstances point blank and parroting tory tabloid talking points about how people should be more austere and complain less.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

smellmycheese posted:

It's all yet another example of how remarkably cheaply UK politicians can be bought. Chuck 10 million in the corruption fund and recieve 400 million and more in contracts. Who wouldnt?

Goon project https://www.gov.uk/find-tender

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

If you're gonna vote Tory because of VAT on private schools I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you probably aren't a centrist of any description.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

She thinks she's a centrist and she thinks she's representative of most of the UK* "everyone just wants to be in the middle" - she thinks private schools are centrist and the other thing she blames Labour for is the thing where if you are a couple & one earns more than £50k - her husband - and the other earns less (she's on about £14k - part time) you don't get child benefit but if they were both on £32k (giving same gross total) they would get child benefit and this is Labour's fault despite the fact that the tories have been in power 14 years - so it obviously suited them to keep the system - and didn't change it until this year which happens to be election year.

*heck - maybe she's right about that and maybe this group of people - mid 40s with a kid at private school - will ignore everything else & vote tory on this, their red line? I know she's pretty clueless about almost anything politics - my other colleague & I both have left wing views & we are sometimes gobsmacked at how ignorant on any number of political issues the centrist one is (she doesn't do politics).

The HICBC came into effect in 2013 and was announced in the 2012 budget by noted Labour Chancellor *checks notes* George Osborne. So sounds like she is just deluded in more than one way.

To be fair HICBC is a really stupid tax - anything that temporarily increases your marginal rate is pretty stupid. There's plenty of dumb things about our tax system that both progressive and conservative governments should be motivated to get rid of if they were interested in being a competent government and not just terrified of bad headlines if they were honest about what our tax system should look like. VAT on private schools however is a good tax; and since only a small percentage of children are actually in private school I can't imagine this middle-class-but-not-rich demographic who piss away their disposable income on a private school is very large at all. Personally I think anyone with a household income <150k are absolute fools to even consider private school. Maybe even more than that. It's so insanely expensive and just putting away that cash to buy your kid a home is going to benefit them much more.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I guess they're might be some other services that are providing education that would get swept up in a change to charge posho school fees vat.

Given that Labour haven't published the finer details and there is no legislation before parliament being debated then that's just scaremongering speculation?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

I re-learned cursive using 100 year old textbooks, also to write it right handed (I am left handed, now ambidextrous). I think cursive is kinda cool and I see why it was in use, so quick to write with. I now have a quasi-cursive handwriting with my right hand, texting with my left.

e: lol what a snipe, I would give you a cat, but you get my current project instead:

what is this?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Apraxin posted:

MP discovers the concept of 'crime'

I'm sure that Jake Berry, close friend of Boris Johnson, is shocked that people were openly doing cocaine at an event full of Tory toffs.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

smellmycheese posted:

lol no. Those kind of horse racing events are basically a football derby with the cunts dressed up in suits for the day and their girlfriends along. They are awful.

No way :thejoke:

Edit: 183 is the number of days in half a year to the nearest whole number.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Lord of the Llamas posted:

No way :thejoke:

Edit: 183 is the number of days in half a year to the nearest whole number.

Here is a very good boy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

You have to renationalise with them when they fail. Then you privatise them again obviously.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

keep punching joe posted:

My cynical take is that the Greens have been polling too well in Scotland and the SNP see them as a threat in the General Election (whenever that is). Not winning seats but splitting the vote enough that they will damage SNP chances. There was also the possibility of the Greens pulling out first, so at least by this move Yousaf can appear like it was his idea and not forced upon him.

This has the added benefit of pleasing the loons who might vote Alba, and maybe stymie some of those voters slipping away too.

And riding the tiger of right wing maniacs always works, and is a good idea for sensible briefcase technocrats.

Also gg pissing off the one bloc in Holyrood that is not psychotically hostile to the SNP, well played lads.

The Greens polling hasn't improved much at all* and currently is still within margin of error of their previous election result. The SNP vote has collapsed somewhat and it remains to be seen if that's going to manifest itself as a transfer of votes to other parties or just reduced turnout. It seems like a SNP voter is just as likely to switch to Labour as Green though.

* ~9% in regional vote vs. 8.1% in the election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_Scottish_Parliament_election

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

keep punching joe posted:

I knew this and I'm the dumbest mf ever. How come a big brain FT journalist doesnt know it?

Journalists think they're super special and probably don't realise that a "press card" is as valid a form of ID as a Taylor Swift fan club card in most situations.

edit: In a Venn diagram of "passports" and "press cards" the bit with "valid ID for voting" in is not in the intersection.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have a dot in mine and I keep getting emails from some guy in the US, it's a known bug/feature gmail won't admit is misfiring because it has huge security implications.

What's supposed to happen is if you have name@gmail.com, you're supposed to be able to enter name-suffix@gmail or name.suffix@gmail (or even namesuffix@gmail.com) on webforms, and it'll still route to your inbox. It's so you can enter eg. name.facebook@gmail and then if you start getting spam you know who leaked your email address.

Except if your registered address is name.surname@gmail then this system mistakenly kicks in (I suspect because of AI 'smart' filtering) and sometimes you will get mail from someone who has namesurname@gmail as their registered address.

At first I thought the other guy's address was just being mistranscribed on forms, and then I got a few replies from one of his family friends and the 'to' field is definitely namesurname@gmail. Keeps happening. His email address is basically mine without the dot.

---

Second call asking if there's a link to the emergency fund? Couldn't find it in the OP, is it still maugrim I PM?

I don't think this is quite right.. IIRC Gmail strips dots completely so name.surname@ == namesurname@ and any other dot in that sequence of alphanumeric characters. The whole suffix thing uses + not a . so name+facebook@ goes to name@. AFAIK you shouldn't be allowed to use a hyphen in Gmail addresses at all. Every time I've heard of what your describing it's been because you have namesurname and some other person has namexsurname where x is a middle initial or something and people keep forgetting to put it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Yes but Andrew Neil said they didn't use plastic in the old days so this can't be right.