Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

I somewhat feel sorry for Rochdale, he will be a poo poo MP for them. But it's very funny seeing this happen to Labour.

By all accounts he was poo poo as Bradford West’s MP, ran pretty much the same campaign as this one then never bothered to actually do any work as an MP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Outside of what you think about this particular guy, it has to be acknowledged that if someone on a 90th percentile salary can't live comfortably there must be something deeply wrong with this country.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Grey Hunter posted:

I've had a couple of people say this is why Labor have no policies. Why say something when the Tories will just steal it.
It's generous, but there is probably a grain of truth there. the non-dom was the only thing Labor haven't back tracked on, and woops, there it goes.

It's also unbelievably petty.

Then surely it'd be really helpful to us all if they proposed a of of good policies and let the tories steal them

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

But... if they reverse the 2p NI cut they can revert to exactly the plan they were already pitching?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Coming in late for the Corbyn monstering chat, but the very first one I remember was 'Jeremy Corbyn wants gender segregation on trains', and you had to read right to the end of the story to find out the actual truth, is that a campaigner had approached him with the idea of female-only carriages to reduce sexual assault on trains as some other foreign countries do, and Corbyn said that if elected Labour would consider holding a consultation on the subject. I remember reading this baffled as everyone talked about the bullshit headline rather than the actuality of what happened and realising this was just how it was gonna be.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

They're also deeply confused if they think it's the middle classes protesting private healthcare. It's the middle classes who can afford it. Working class people can't afford it.

They're not confused, it's just in their best interest to pretend that anyone left-of-centre is coming from a position of privilege

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jakabite posted:

I just remembered the next gig I’ve got planned is a full play through over two nights of The Magnetic Fields’ 69 Love Songs in London. Can’t loving wait. Any other Merritt heads in here?

Ah thanks for reminding me to get tickets for the Manchester shows

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Kojiro posted:

I'm in Bradford and a lot of pro-Palestine indepedants have won out over Labour here, so not all tories by any means. Labour hold overall though

Yeah the independent in my Bradford ward defeated the Labour incumbent. His leaflet opened with ‘a vote for Labour is a vote for Keir Starmer’, then Starmer’s quote about Israel having the right to cut off water and power to Gaza, then ‘Say no to genocide, say no to war crimes’.

Labour pretty much did all his campaigning for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

notaspy posted:

Your repayments don't stop once you have paid off the debt. You have to phone up and cancel the payments.

So many of my friends got caught out by that

I actually got a letter from them a year before mine was due to end, saying that I should call them up and switch to paying by direct debit rather than have it taken out of my pay to avoid this, thought they would have done this for everyone.