Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I thought healthcare here was no good?

Even by your standards this is really lovely thing to say.

Hopefully you'll have sobered up this morning; I'd recommend that you consider the impacts of your drinking on yourself and others, and think about cutting back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Wow, he's not even just a bit racist, he's a proper turbo racist.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Answers Me posted:

Imagine being an actual billionaire and spending all day on twitter. I can’t wrap my brain around it

It's just more proof that money can't buy you happiness, or it's certainly not guaranteed.

JKR is smug as hell and is constantly bragging about her success, but everything about her suggests a deep, deep insecurity and malaise of the soul. Exactly the same as Elon Musk, in fact.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Otoh, as someone who suffers from a lot of climate anxiety, yes the anxiety is logical and has a tangible external source, but there's also absolutely nothing to be gained by constantly worrying about it, as there is literally nothing I can do about it. So then the only sensible thing to try to do is just not think about it/internalise it, and just accept that there's this constant shadow over every moment of my life :classiclol:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

ChickenDoodle posted:

Sorry to trouble you all, but I could use the help of those of you in England.

My uncle died last year in Manchester. I live in Vancouver, Canada with my mum. We finally got approval from the solicitor (long story) to bring the family violin over, which is over 100 years old.

Does anyone know of a reputable instrument shipping company we can use from England to Canada? We can’t get over there at the moment ourselves.

I'd suggest using an antique or arts courier company like this one. https://www.iscafineart.co.uk/fine-art-shipping

To be clear, I haven't researched this company specifically, but I guess you'll just want to make sure whoever you use has airtight guarantees, are insured to the hilt etc etc.

Speaking of insurance, if you now own the violin you should try to get it insured ASAP, then speak the insurer about what you need to do, and to get their advice as well.

I'm kind of operating under the assumption that this violin has a lot of financial value rather than just sentimental ; if that's not the case then the expense of the above may not be justified, although I think it's gonna cost you a bomb no matter how you do it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
That sounds really grim, but it also sounds like your wife is in the grip of a pretty awful addiction. I hope you both get the help you need.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
But she looked so healthy in that grainy farm shop footage!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Just saw Peter Mandelson walking across London Bridge. At least I'm pretty sure it was him. I kinda thought he was powerful and hated enough that he wouldn't be out and about by himself like that.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Most of the bullies from my school have gone on to upsettingly senior positions in global banks and other financial institutions. But then they all came from very wealthy families and played rugby at county level, so idk if it's more just classic British nepotism coming into play rather than the bullying.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I have very much enjoyed watching idiot Simon Jenkins getting torn to shreds in the comments below this article he wrote where he defends his Garrick Club membership and denies that being a member of a club stuffed with judges and cabinet ministers confers any benefits or status whatsoever.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I have a mostly disintegrated armchair that I just keep stuffing duvets and cushions into to restore sittability. TBH I can't get away with office chairs because I can't sit like a normal person anyway.

Lol this is the most owlish post. I always just picture you being this hagrid-esque figure trudging around covered in blankets and animal skins, and the fact you sit on furniture stuffed with duvets and cushions just adds to the picture.

I say this with love btw, you are my favourite poster.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Goons sit down way too much, drat

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Tesseraction posted:

I think they were the one who kept doing posts about how English people weren't human in a way that went past "lol yeah gently caress the english" to "is that an Austrian accent?"

No, I think vit p is the one who often descended into calling posters in here 'woke scolds' and talked about cucking a lot.

Idk, that was a few years ago and I believe in redemption, perhaps they should be allowed back if they promise to be good!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Angepain posted:

probably involves something more involved than constanzaing in one day and pretending nothing ever happened

This is a good point. Weird behaviour in any other circumstance. Perhaps a full and frank apology for the original offence, and a description of the lessons learnt?

I believe they can change, I just don't want to get hurt again.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
The thing that gets me about the video of the st George's day racists is that the main bloke they interview is so close to getting it. He's aware that we're surrounded by corruption, incompetence and institutional apathy, but then chooses to rail against immigrants rather than direct his anger at the people and institutions in charge of the whole loving thing

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Having a young daughter waiting for you to finish work tends to make you forget about doing anything work related after the moment you finish.

This.

Also, all the work I do is ultimately to contribute an infinitesimal increase in profit to the billionaire American family that owns the company, and I find it genuinely impossible to give a gently caress about that.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Found this chap in my garden :

Would any entomologists be able to confirm whether it's a fall armyworm , which is what Lens results seem to suggest?

If so, seems bad, given it's meant to be native to Southern America, and its propensity to 'damage and destroy a wide variety of crops, which causes large economic damage.'

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I am reassured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Lol UK was the only country to receive 0 pts in the public vote. Poor old Olly, I thought he was alright.