Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Some more 'Vanias down, some more hot takes

it's funny that whoever pitched Castlevania Chronicles to me in the last thread said it was a mediocre game only worth playing for the soundtrack because I think it's in the upper echelons of the classic-style games. Brutally difficult but just sort of a tight design, good pacing, and fun-to-solve encounters. My main complaint is I wish the game wasn't so dang stingy with subweapons. Trying to figure out which one to bring along to make the latest seemingly-bullshit fight winnable is part of the fun of these games but until the last two levels you just don't ever really get a choice because there just aren't any to choose from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

What kind of brain worms causes you to put IV in D tier?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the kind where every enemy in the game is solved by standing somewhere they can't hit you and whipping, and all the difficulty comes from traps that give you a tight frame window to jump or dodge them or you instantly die

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm generally of the opinion that aesthetics alone can't ruin a good game or save a bad game, but it doesn't help that the game is ugly and only has one good non-remix song. It opens with a banger with Simon's theme, then has a long sequence of awful music, then only starts climbing out by just reusing the music from a better game in the last act.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
talking to an irl who only ever plays nintendo games and is like chronically uninterested in non-nintendo franchises. how do i convince them to broaden their tastes without being passive aggressive abt it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they sound based to me

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Tell them that breath of the wild was inspired by assassins creed

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
"But think of all the Battle Passes and Season Passes and cosmetics you're missing out on!"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Tell them that pentiment will soon be on switch

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Jay Rust posted:

Tell them that breath of the wild was inspired by assassins creed

no im not going to recommend ubisoft

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

call them a Nintendork

never fails

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
by non-nintendo franchises i mean alan wake (stuff thats good)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

euroshopper posted:

talking to an irl who only ever plays nintendo games and is like chronically uninterested in non-nintendo franchises. how do i convince them to broaden their tastes without being passive aggressive abt it

It is impossible. Nintendo adults are just like Disney adults. They can not be talked to or reasoned with.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

alan wake? but he went woke

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

call them a Nintendork

This too.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

euroshopper posted:

Honest question why do you care?

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Honest question why do you care?

as someone interested in media preservation it mildly annoys me

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have friends who won’t watch black and white movies, or foreign language movies, or movies made before than 1988. And ive learnt to accept it. They’re the ones going to hell, and that’s ok

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Still waiting on the captain toad souls like

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Jay Rust posted:

I have friends

Well you don't need to brag about it

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

euroshopper posted:

All becomes dust, including your boring friend. Embrace it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

euroshopper posted:

i am too but if your friend don't wanna try new stuff that's on them for being boring/middle aged

Veotax
May 16, 2006

euroshopper posted:

What the gently caress does someone only playing Nintendo games have to do with media preservation? Do you think that if this person played something else they would magically stop something from becoming lost media or something?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Semi annual reminder to watch and donate to jeremy parish, man is doing God's work with his many video series and writings about old games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm generally of the opinion that aesthetics alone can't ruin a good game or save a bad game, but it doesn't help that the game is ugly and only has one good non-remix song. It opens with a banger with Simon's theme, then has a long sequence of awful music, then only starts climbing out by just reusing the music from a better game in the last act.

You're insane CV4 has one of the best soundtracks in the series

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

i am too but if your friend don't wanna try new stuff that's on them for being boring/middle aged

me and my friend are both zoomers i met them in college

Veotax posted:

What the gently caress does someone only playing Nintendo games have to do with media preservation? Do you think that if this person played something else they would magically stop something from becoming lost media or something?

they come from a rich family and hoards a bunch of nintendo games/products so it kinda confuses me why they spend all that money on an incredibly narrow range of items

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

not sure you know what media preservation is

Veotax
May 16, 2006

euroshopper posted:

they come from a rich family and hoards a bunch of nintendo games/products so it kinda confuses me why they spend all that money on an incredibly narrow range of items

What the gently caress does this have to do with media preservation? Are they buying rare Nintendo games and prototypes? No? Then why the gently caress do you think they would suddenly be a champion for games preservation if the played Dark Souls?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

euroshopper posted:

Ah my sweet Zoomer child, you never grew up during The Console Wars.

You just found a Nintendo house.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

They like Nintendo. So what?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i also like nintendo

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
media preservation wasn't an accurate term probably uhhh

i also like nintendo and i own a bunch of nintendo stuff but i try to consume media from other places idk. like i have a bunch of pentium 3 computers on a network so i can play old multiplayer games and emulators but i often feel like i need convince other people why my tastes are valid. for example i often shut up when my irl friend pogs over the mario movie since i know if i talk about my disinterest over it they'll take it as a personal offense

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jay Rust posted:

Hell yeah, that's what good friends do :hai:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jay Rust posted:

It's on Switch now.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I feel that after 170 hours Noita is becoming one of my all time favourite games. There's just so many weird and interesting ways to mess with and completely break the systems presented to you - the only thing that really holds it back is that the first level or so can get very boring on new runs when the true joy of the game is creating insane wands that can and will kill you and end your run at a moment's notice. It's entirely possible to make a safe wand that'll get you all the way to the end with patience and careful planning but you never will because the Icarus call of making a wand of ultimate destruction is just too compulsive to resist

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of the things I genuinely love about Noita is that I've also pumped close to 170 hours into it, I've "beaten" the game twice, I've done so much... but if I go into the Noita thread I haven't got a loving clue what almost anything they're talking about is, because I've somehow only barely scratched the surface of what the game has to offer.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People talking about consuming media is gross. Consumption implies a means to an end, the experience of art should be an end to itself. One should not talk about consuming Deus Ex, Dr.Strangelove, or Wuthering Heights anymore than one should talk of consuming a Three Star Michelin Meal; consumption should be left for the useful but unstimulating and bland things like protein shakes.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

euroshopper posted:

middle aged is a state of mind

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Consume content not media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

euroshopper posted:

media preservation wasn't an accurate term probably uhhh

i also like nintendo and i own a bunch of nintendo stuff but i try to consume media from other places idk. like i have a bunch of pentium 3 computers on a network so i can play old multiplayer games and emulators but i often feel like i need convince other people why my tastes are valid. for example i often shut up when my irl friend pogs over the mario movie since i know if i talk about my disinterest over it they'll take it as a personal offense

It sounds like your friend has weird parasocial relationships with their media. Maybe just find a new one who isn't weird.