Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I put this on and man, it's getting dusty in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HleU_FiQFa0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Is this one of those things where only a handful of people online are outraged?

yes, but they're the worst loving people so

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Rise of the Ronin previews are out and I'm seeing comparisons to Way of the Samurai so I am watching very closely

melinda....

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

No, they did a whole pop-up event for WcDonald's. There's also tie-in webcomics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DudcvoffiVo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Shard posted:

that is so oddly specific. Does Russia have a big market that it's a big loss?

I don't think that's what the reporting actually says, it's that by doing this, Embracer will no longer have any assets based in Russia, because none of the studios they're retaining after the Saber sales are there.

Historically Saber Interactive was known for funneling cheap Russian labor into development support for other game studios

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

how many people have played Cosmology of Kyoto versus brought it up in games-as-art discussions

I read an article about someone playing it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of which, I got the Jeff Minter Digital Eclipse collection.

It's still a fine package but it's definitely less focused than the Making of Karateka. Also most of these old Llamasoft games are pretty unplayable lol... I wonder if I would have gotten into games if this was what I grew up with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX_RLpMppeI

This came out a year before Super Mario Bros., and ironically for VG history purposes my takeaway from this collection has been "Nintendo was so important for having guys who thought 'What if we made a game character where it felt good to jump and it wasn't like pushing a sack of rocks'"

The music light machine thing is interesting though and I could probably see myself playing more Tempest 2000. I might also go back and check Polybius for a Llamasoft with contemporary design

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh yeah the game where you mow the lawn is also less unplayable than others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlKgm6AfHcs

Love the "Dog Tolerance" stat

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Most people who participate in the "X as art" debates are using "Art" as a shorthand for "activity that is socially acceptable for me to spend hours and hours of my life on'

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This is art

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

Rory has enchanting eyes

Apparently Rory was the pet of a Llamasoft fan who wrote to Minter and asked if he could put her pet guinea pig into a game. There was never a full Rory game but he has a cameo

This is now the most important historical fact I've learned from this collection

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Does anyone else find weird synchronicities between games they're playing and real life...

I was just reading Jeff Minters newsletter where he mentions drinking Inca Kola and somehow the next day I'm in a Peruvian restaurant drinking one... I didn't plan this I just noticed this on my drive home today

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

That's just the power of the Inca People

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deqzy_tifRU

I still think about "Gilles dutweeb"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I'm gonna say that most Llamasoft games are more interesting to look at and admire than play lol????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piKFh84lU30
I thought Llamatron 2112 would be the first one chronologically that I could just intuitively play and actually get into... then i started randomly dying in wave 10 lol? Also I guess I'm an idiot for thinking a glowing label pointing to "laser" would be a good thing I guess

It was released in 1991.... I know I'm comparing basically a AAA juggernaut release to the visionary independent underdog or whatever but I was playing UN Squadron as a kid that same year, if I had been given Llamatron at the time would I have ever gotten into games lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIqbh-OTPSE&t=118s

Edit: lmao I guess jeff pre-emptively called me out... I'm a "Darren" apparently

I'm easily impressed by graphics and music, that is true

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 20, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Reviews for DragDog 2 are beginning to trickle out

https://x.com/RPGSite/status/1770466882044207112?s=20

According to RPG Site, the system requirements are so high that there is not a computer that you can build today that will run the first city in the game without some sub-60 frame dips

This explains why the PS5 version is a rough 30fps I guess lol

I guess I'm building a 4090 super PC or whatever

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Maybe this is time for me to learn what people mean when they say "no cap"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

you didn't learn. you didn't grow.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

Suzy Hunter has a 4090 beast rig and said in her video that it still drops significant frames in certain situations/locations

Wavering on whether to get DD2 or let it be for the time being. I did enjoy the original but it never quuuuite clicked for me, combat felt somehow just a touch off but I couldn't pin down why. Maybe I'll grab it and make sure to keep an eye on the refund window.

I think some people were saying it's not a GPU bottleneck but a CPU one for the city stuff?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The more i think about it the more the collection makes me think less of Jeff Minter, where does he get off

Yeah music is good jeff, like gently caress off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8it7FMxDTA

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Shard posted:

jesus are there any good game news sites these days?

i was asking about this elsewhere, jeff gerstmann seems to source most his news from "Video Games Chronicle"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

PC and mobile game Undawn launched in June to much fanfare that revolved around the digital recreation of Will Smith in-game. The Oscar-winning actor plays Trey Jones, who acts as a guide to help players navigate the world four years after a global disaster.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

no one here reads/cares about reviews

what if they're from "God is a Geek"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Zokari posted:

i played the movies like 4 separate times and every time i made it to the second era and lost interest like 5 minutes later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p51BE1UoPUE

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Aren't these things in a non-server based game something you could just mod/cheatengine?

Is there an anti-cheat on it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oh lol....

is this a case of all the glowing reviews coming in before the cash shop was enabled

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What is the difference between A B C

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

njsykora posted:

There was some lovely match 3 game that seemingly spent a bunch of money on getting basically every British television celebrity to do actual studio filmed ads for it and those were a pox for a full month.

I mean you have big actors on Cameo these days, it's basically the same thing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Super Mario Maker 1 has been officially cleared, in a somewhat anticlimactic way. The creator of the last uncleared level admitted that the level had been illegitimately uploaded with a TAS clear, so it was officially disqualified.

This is scandalous

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I enjoyed how they spent all this time developing a professional league then just decided "oh we are literally removing one of the positions that all you league franchises built your team composition and hiring around"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I will start Princess Peach Showtime today I think

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not the only game that moved out of that window. SMT Vengeance moved up a week.

There was also an Italian-themed Soulslike that was scheduled for that exact date and they had to bump their release date a month lol.

I had never heard of it until (former) Xbox fanboy Timdog got mad that they canceled their xbox version

https://twitter.com/enotriagame/status/1770910701038571709

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

like michael jackson's bad?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Was Netease the one that tried to license elden ring to make a gacha version

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Should have gone with "Ruthkanda Forever"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

After finishing Rebirth I'm probably going to immediately start Infinite Wealth, then it will be Dragon's Dogma 2, that should see me up to Elden Ring DLC

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Khanstant posted:

There are zoomers who will never know the feeling of sitting in a car on the way back from the store, reading the manual to learn the game and admiring the cool art and stories printed next to them before you get to play.

They've already watched three hours worth of TikToks about the game before they play

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess it's impossible for games to have any real mystery to them anymore in terms of discovering some random gem in the game store, every game even if it doesn't have some immense marketing campaign will have influencers making 40 hours of speculation/explainer videos for clout

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Zokari posted:

.....the business genious.....

It would have been genius if Saudi Arabia had bailed him out.... now he's done his part to slouch the industry towards catastrophe

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

There is no one playing Warzone that was born in the 90s even, much less the 70s. I was born in 1984 and I don't even know who these two characters are.

I was reminded of their existence because there's like 100,000 ads for Chong's (or maybe Cheech?) thc gummies on twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The last news I remember reading was about XDefiant failing console certification which, like.... how do you make a AAA game and get to that point lmao

Jeff Gerstmann on his last podcast was looking for news about it and the lead dev had more recent updates on the game on his own personal account compared to the official socials which were all silent for months