Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Some more 'Vanias down, some more hot takes

it's funny that whoever pitched Castlevania Chronicles to me in the last thread said it was a mediocre game only worth playing for the soundtrack because I think it's in the upper echelons of the classic-style games. Brutally difficult but just sort of a tight design, good pacing, and fun-to-solve encounters. My main complaint is I wish the game wasn't so dang stingy with subweapons. Trying to figure out which one to bring along to make the latest seemingly-bullshit fight winnable is part of the fun of these games but until the last two levels you just don't ever really get a choice because there just aren't any to choose from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the kind where every enemy in the game is solved by standing somewhere they can't hit you and whipping, and all the difficulty comes from traps that give you a tight frame window to jump or dodge them or you instantly die

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm generally of the opinion that aesthetics alone can't ruin a good game or save a bad game, but it doesn't help that the game is ugly and only has one good non-remix song. It opens with a banger with Simon's theme, then has a long sequence of awful music, then only starts climbing out by just reusing the music from a better game in the last act.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i also like nintendo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nintendo's case hangs on a specific very dumb clause in the DMCA. Idk how many countries have equivalent clauses, but presumably it isn't all of them. Emulation is far from dead, even if this specific project with these people is

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

njsykora posted:

Yes, but part of the settlement is apparently that the source code stops distribution and no doubt there'll be people watching any new Switch emulator that comes up to see if it uses old Yuzu code.

The agreement says that the defendants have to delete/dehost their copies. It does not, and cannot, bind everyone in the world to not use their previously-downloaded source code

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For clarity, the actual legal argument isn't really based on the patreon. It's based on a very dumb clause in the DMCA that breaking DRM is always illegal even if you don't do any copyright violation. Because of technical details, this applies to modern consoles in a way it didn't to older ones

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

njsykora posted:

PC gamers acting like it's their divine right to play every videogame ever made because they spent 4x more on their gaming machine than everyone else is one of the more tiresome trends of this console generation. Reminds me of when the Switch was new and the immediate response to every new game was begging for a Switch port.

every game should be ported to switch

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Discord is significantly better than professional services like Teams and could probably make a go at offering services to non-gamers for coporation-level money

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Piracy is extremely ftw

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lament of Innocence is so boring it's ending my second Castlevania arc, just in time for Unicorn Overlord. Thank you, Lament of Innocence. I did play all the Gameboy games though, so some more hot takes for the pile:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DLC Inc posted:

Super Castlevania 4 in the same tier as Legends? Were you smoking crack when you made this?

love to effortlessly breeze through all the enemies because your whip hits the entire screen, and then die repeatedly to a platform that kills you if you don't jump in a three frame window. riveting gameplay

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Most people who participate in the "X as art" debates are using "Art" as a shorthand for "activity that is socially acceptable for me to spend hours and hours of my life on'

Posting is art

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with an action game where you're supposed to repeatedly try and fail sections and solve them like a puzzle, rather than having everything be sightreadable. Whether this particular game does it well is another question, but the idea of an action platformer that's basically unfair if you try to play it as a twitchy reaction game, and only becomes doable as you come up with strats over multiple attempts, is not an unreasonable one. That's basically the core of how classicvanias work.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The play pattern I specifically like is like, where you reach a new room, maybe a bit damaged because you didn't do the previous room perfectly yet, and then it just seems overwhelmingly impossible. You die, but then sit down and think about what you could have done differently. To use castlevania examples, you might think: would this section be easier if I had the cross instead of the axe? What if I stood further back while fighting? What if I didn't jump? Should I switch to the other character here?

And then over the course of another few attempts, you figure out how the room works, which of your options are good here, and develop a plan. The level is sort of a rolling series of solved rooms, rooms you're still figuring out but can limp through with damage, and the room that still kills you. Each attempt, you push it back a little bit at a time until you've managed to limp through the boss and you're onto the next level, reseting it.

It's not really a play pattern you can get with designs that are supposed to be sight readable. If the way you react to a challenge is obvious on the first try, and you only die because it's hard to do, you never have that moment of thinking "hm, what could I do differently next time?", you already know what to do, and just need to do it better.

I think both approaches have their place in the toolbox of game design, and definitely completely disagree that if a challenge isn't sight readable, that's inherently bad.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
basically agree that while there's nothing wrong with preferring easy mode in general, I can't think of any game where easy mode is better even for someone who usually prefers normal or hard.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
gamers love talking about frames because it's a number they can use to decide if a game is good or bad without ever engaging more deeply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

goatface posted:

Where are all the uploadable content options?

mario maker