Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which main event are you looking forward to the most this month?
This poll is closed.
You already know how this gag works 2 9.09%
You're going to pick O'Malley vs Chito 1 4.55%
Unless you're really invested in Amanda Ribas 1 4.55%
Sean O'Malley vs Marlon Vera 2 0 0%
Corey Anderson vs Karl Moore 3 13.64%
Wait 3 13.64%
How did that get there 3 13.64%
Oh no, not more Beastin' 9 40.91%
Total: 22 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I randomly followed a self defense / combatives account from my Instagram explore page, and it seemed ok for a while.
Then one day, they posted the old Southpark clip of gay vs f--, with the caption "if you don't think this is funny, we can't be friends in real life"

And save for what I wrote, every other comment is some kind of agreement or thinking it's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oh, forgot to share these shots of Ilia making some people quite unhappy:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Song Yadong is not interested in helping anyone build poo poo. Since entering the UFC back in 2017 Song's made it clear he wants to be the best in the world, and his punching power, volume, wrestling and simply being tough as poo poo have almost gotten him there repeatedly. He went six fights without a loss in his first run at the top, but the eternally hot-and-cold Kyler Phillips halted his momentum.

He came back with a three-fight winning streak that culminated in the uppercut that knocked Marlon Moraes all the way down to the Professional Fighters League, but he couldn't avert a stoppage loss against Cory Sandhagen. To be clear, he didn't get finished--he was actually very keen on continuing--but the doctor correctly pointed out that his eyebrow was hanging off of his face and, generally-speaking, that's bad.

2023 marked his third run, and thus far, it's going extremely well. He dominated the irrepressible Ricky Simón and became just the second man to ever knock him out, he avenged Frankie Edgar's soul by completely outfighting Chris Gutierrez, and now, finally, he has his first chance to beat a former UFC champion.

It's a testament to Petr Yan's abilities that in the middle of his worst career slump, at 1 for his last 5, he's still a betting favorite. I really, really want to pick Song Yadong here. I've been rooting for him for years, I would love to see him finally break into title contention, and I think the mirror-match nature of this fight could work out to his benefit--both men are pocket punchers, both men are clinch-range grapplers, both men like to work from the chin. But I cannot help the feeling that Petr Yan is still slightly better at everything Song does. PETR YAN BY DECISION.

I've long held a half formulated opinion that Song has really poor fight IQ. That kind of airheadedness might very well lend itself to being a good fit at TAM, but he's never made great adjustments when faced with problems. Either he just manages to eke things out with physicality, or he gets safely shut out. He's even decent at being coached mid-fight, but just doesn't seem to have the smarts to radically reapproach an uphill battle. Yan stands a good chance at winning by edging out each exchange.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

I think boxers might be the best boxers after all

Taking some copium before I watch.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

It was fun while it lasted and he still earned ten times as much from one fight than he would've gotten from the UFC, so he wins, but still disappointing.

I'm sure he's got one more big money fight if he wants it. And unfortunately I suspect his ego will push him to risk the extra damage for another few million.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Mike Brown and I are begging Dustin Poirier to stop jumping the guillotine.

Did Poirier say anything about betting on himself to win by guillotine cuz jfc.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Halfway into it, I was thinking, ok, I guess he's looking for redemption after getting taken down by Khabib.
But by the end, I realized he just has a Crocop level fondness for it as part of his takedown defense game.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

OSP stands out to me as the most successful fighter with 0 gas. He got a lot done with barely daring to move before he was putting his hands on his knees.
Only other fighter that comes to mind is Shane Carwin.

Trillhouse posted:

jesus, that was way worse than I expected.

It was better that what I expected? Mostly cuz he gave a much less inflated view of himself as an actor than as a fighter, despite all the coke tics.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

The main event is a bit disappointing.

It’s a big striking differential that’s impressive but pretty repetitive.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

This file turns 24 this summer and I stuffed it into modern codecs for Mark and all of you: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...405ff31889ebb2&

Warning: it's exactly as loud as it needs to be

Lmao, Royce died on his way back to his home barra.

The technique is so much better these days but really the rhythm and chaos of an MMA fight hasn't changed much in decades.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Sean O'Malley fuckin' sucks and I will never be convinced otherwise.

He's not perfect but he's way too good for how much i hate him. The Colby Covington story.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4q_pWIPJfM/?igsh=aGJ5MmpnbGRvcGdu
Sean Strickland confessing how often he’s having mental health episodes on social media:

quote:

But then when I really think about it, this happens multiple times a month, every month.
I don’t even know why I’m telling you guys this. I’ve just kind of been going through some poo poo. I’m fine, I’ll be fine.
I’m just gonna go train right now and try to hurt all my friends, and… all the demons will go away

To which Mike Perry of all people responded

quote:

Have you tried not sparring so much man ?
Seriously if you took a break from contact and just did strength and conditioning see if the bloodlust clears up a little bit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I’m still reeling from how much of a loving wake call it is to have Platinum Mike telling you to maybe take care of yourself.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 19, 2024

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Also, rare Bellator victory:
This is at least theoretically the best distribution deal they've had since the Spike TV days.

Hunh, was Bellator streaming on Paramount+? I'm seeing that it was just replays posted the next day?
Streaming live on Max would be a big boost. It's 50% bigger than Paramount+ in terms of subscribers, but live events are a lot more relevant to Max/Discovery is trying to pivot to.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hadn't heard these

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Who tf was negotiating for the fighters?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This bums me out far more than the Hammer surviving the fire cheered me up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

... were Mark and Dean in the lawsuit?

https://www.gofundme.com/f/dean-lister-and-victory-mma-fire-support

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

When he said “they’ll write books about this,” I guess they meant the addiction.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://news.yahoo.com/entertainment/ronda-rousey-reveals-years-concerning-200803773.html
Without watching that interview, I can't help but think this is moderately sour grapes.
I don't doubt that Ronda had concussions that made her overall development and mental health a lot more difficult.
I just don't think it jibes with accepting a heavier striking gameplan in her last few fights.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

Getting hit in the head really hard can gently caress you up in all sorts of ways and I'm inclined to believe someone when they say that. Just because someone got outclassed in a fight doesn't mean their struggles aren't real.

My chief complaint is not that she is overstating how much concussions affected her career length or health. It’s that she consciously agreed to keep trying with staying on the outside and using terrible boxing in the face of those concussions.

BlindSite posted:

She made a bunch of mistakes on her own and eventually you have to take responsibility for sure but still.

Sure, she was far more susceptible to listening to Edmond that the average person. Really sad how much she didn’t listen to her mom over it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

Dustin said he was suicidal after his last loss and I don't remember a lot of criticism of him for trying to keep fighting.
Poirier is a pretty complete fighter, so by your comparison, I wouldn’t criticize him because I think he has good avenues to victory against almost anyone.
I did criticize Rousey then and now for being so dogged about the boxing being her approach.

quote:

I don't think it's realistic to expect people to be rational decision makers.
That’s fair in general, but that irrationality adds a certain amount of caution about how to interpret her memoir. I’m certainly curious what it ends up saying about Edmond.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The beauty of the trajectory of MMA is that each day, we grow closer to that fight being a possibility, up until one of them dies.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Watching and enjoying Dong-hyun Kim in season 2 of Physical 100. The other contestants revere him.
In short, cannot loving wait for Zombie to show up on this. As far as I'm concerned, that's in their back pocket as long as they want to make another season.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Perfect that a clown wig sells the Suga look so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

announced without either fighter agreeing to it

60% of the time, it works every time
-- Sean Shelby