Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B Squad Leader
Nov 1, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I think they were lying to you. None of that seems right

"Thirteen lunar modules were built and six landed on the moon. No. 13, which was to have flown on the canceled Apollo 18 flight, is on permanent loan from the Smithsonian Institution to the Cradle of Aviation Museum."

https://www.asme.org/about-asme/engineering-history/landmarks/218-apollo-lunar-module-lm-13

Most were built by Grumman in nearby Bethpage, so it kinda makes sense it would be on loan to that museum?

EDIT: It might just be a simulator? Still awesome for a kid to gawk at. https://www.american-spacecraft.org/lunar-modules/lm-mission-sim.html

B Squad Leader fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if anyone itt hasnt watched Iron Sky it is a top tier space movie

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

also Moon

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Grey Cat posted:

The knowledge that I'll never get to go to space makes me sad. Dig me up in 500 years and fling my ashes into the sun whenever spaceflight is affordable.

you’re already flying through space at 66,627 mph. the sun will come for whatever’s left of you in -7.5 billions years. no need to fomo your corpse into a rocket

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm here, and I'm cool as F, attach HERE if you need to..........

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Here's a cheat sheet to humanity in space:

TL;DR: It's real hard

Otherwise, there's no where good to go

Humanity's only future in space is in spinning space stations

There's very little appealing about Mars
Or the Moon

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
The thing to know about space is that even though there are tons of stars and moons and explosions, it is still almost always nighttime there.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

The thing to know about space is that even though there are tons of stars and moons and explosions, it is still almost always nighttime there.

sorta. if you're near a sun its daytime on half of you and nighttime on the other half

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cool thing to consider: There's the visible universe, which is the measure of the furthest source of light. However, because of the expansion of the universe, there are parts of the universe from which light will never reach us - it's too far away, and with space expanding, always further and further.....

We know nothing about this unobservable universe. Like how big it might be. One can assume the laws of physics are the same, but just an assumption. And we'll never know otherwise.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Speaking of smashing rocks, we live on at least Earth 2.0, as Earth 1.0 was mostly destroyed in the collision with another small planet. Which we mostly absorbed, leading to our big iron core, and our relatively huge Moon. Earth 2.0 was a much improved planet.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

Speaking of smashing rocks, we live on at least Earth 2.0, as Earth 1.0 was mostly destroyed in the collision with another small planet. Which we mostly absorbed, leading to our big iron core, and our relatively huge Moon. Earth 2.0 was a much improved planet.

Hey, if Earth 2.0 is much improved, imagine how swell Earth 3.0 will be!

Um, we may not all be around to see that particular update, but I'm sure it will be great. Don't listen to the haters.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Hey, if Earth 2.0 is much improved, imagine how swell Earth 3.0 will be!

Um, we may not all be around to see that particular update, but I'm sure it will be great. Don't listen to the haters.

Two words: Smart Dinosaurs

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

dr_rat posted:

Oh and one more:

To quote the MIT page "Computer scientist Margaret Hamilton poses with the Apollo guidance software she and her team developed at MIT."

NERD!

We would have never beat the Russians in the Space Race and land on the moon first without Margaret Hamilton’s work. She rules :hai:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
i love space, this thread has been BOOKMARKED

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

looking forward to a gigantic spaceship launch sometime this month. orbit + landing for the booster stage mayhap?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

there were thousands of planets in the proto solar system. they smashed into each other until the elite survivors remained and aligned into the perfect delicate system of equilibrium and orbit

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bradzilla posted:

there were thousands of planets in the proto solar system. they smashed into each other until the elite survivors remained and aligned into the perfect delicate system of equilibrium and orbit

Indeed. I think what's different here (with the collision that ultimately produced the Moon) was it was pretty late in that process of building.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

B Squad Leader posted:

"Thirteen lunar modules were built and six landed on the moon. No. 13, which was to have flown on the canceled Apollo 18 flight, is on permanent loan from the Smithsonian Institution to the Cradle of Aviation Museum."

https://www.asme.org/about-asme/engineering-history/landmarks/218-apollo-lunar-module-lm-13

Most were built by Grumman in nearby Bethpage, so it kinda makes sense it would be on loan to that museum?

EDIT: It might just be a simulator? Still awesome for a kid to gawk at. https://www.american-spacecraft.org/lunar-modules/lm-mission-sim.html

no. 13 never landed? They should make a movie about that

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We have iron in our blood. Blood being super important to our success as a machine.

That iron came from a big old rear end star that exploded, long ago. And not our Sun, that's our brother/sister/uncle/aunt.

But rather, some long gone big rear end star, that exploded, and seeded the gas cloud that became our Sun and solar system.

The iron in our blood is older than the Sun, older than the Earth....

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

We have iron in our blood. Blood being super important to our success as a machine.

That iron came from a big old rear end star that exploded, long ago. And not our Sun, that's our brother/sister/uncle/aunt.

But rather, some long gone big rear end star, that exploded, and seeded the gas cloud that became our Sun and solar system.

The iron in our blood is older than the Sun, older than the Earth....

What? No it is not. The sun made the iron in our blood you jackass

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

No it did not.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

No it did not.

where do you think it came from sam?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

the sun has iron in it but it will never become part of planets. it's not big enough to nova. all of earth's heavy elements came from stars that went supernova

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

where do you think it came from sam?

Some star we'll never know. It blew up over 4.5 billion years ago.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the sun has iron in it but it will never become part of planets. it's not big enough to nova. all of earth's heavy elements came from stars that went supernova

look at this guy who has science and math to back them up.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

You could say the Sun has exactly the same percentage of iron in it that a person does....

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Some star we'll never know. It blew up over 4.5 billion years ago.

I do like that you answered to sam. You always looked like a Sam to me

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I do like that you answered to sam. You always looked like a Sam to me

I'm your Huckleberry

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

I'm your Huckleberry

:wink:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Major cum to jizz control…

This is jizz actual, over

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Toxic Mental posted:

Major cum to jizz control…

This is jizz actual, over

lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There is no short term future on the Moon or Mars. Better to spend our efforts on structures in space.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

There is no short term future on the Moon or Mars. Better to spend our efforts on structures in space.

spoken like a person who has never even made a structure on earth

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
space is cool and I hope mumpy keeps replying to every post like a reddit op

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

space is cool and I hope mumpy keeps replying to every post like a reddit op

I have an idea to harvest a Mumpy for in orbit maneuvers

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

I have an idea to harvest a Mumpy for in orbit maneuvers

took me a while to hear this

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Imagine the very center of the super massive black hole at the center of the galaxy....

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Imagine the very center of the super massive black hole at the center of the galaxy....

I'd rather not

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

redshirt posted:

done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost