Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

git apologist posted:

yeah but because it has no surface oceans it has roughly the same land area as earth

Kim Stanley Robinson reader spotted

MrQwerty posted:

still amazing that venera even managed to stay intact enough to take pictures of that blasted hellscape

And once they got it out of Russia, they were able to send it to Venus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

Kim Stanley Robinson reader spotted

LOL OMG here comes 30 pages on this particularly beautiful butte.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I return to this video sometimes just to feel ever more existentially small

NASA's channels are the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFT7ATLQQx8

This one's great too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tmbeLTHC_0

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i think sagan or drake or somewhere calculated that if you run the drake equation through with reasonable assumptions, then intelligent civilisations would be spread across the universe at an average distance of about 200 light years apart. 200 light years is not far on a universal scale but is really quite a long way indeed for widdle humans

drat you spacetime :argh:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Just for the record the "Drake Equation" is pretty meaningless and is just an idea. Drake knew it too, not like he was being fake or anything.

It's not any actual science variables or anything.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

git apologist posted:

i think sagan or drake or somewhere calculated that if you run the drake equation through with reasonable assumptions, then intelligent civilisations would be spread across the universe at an average distance of about 200 light years apart. 200 light years is not far on a universal scale but is really quite a long way indeed for widdle humans

drat you spacetime :argh:

If you can get a generation ship to a signficant percent of C it's still doable though. Would be a hell of a commitment to just to say hello and come back.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i was thinking about how loving weird it is that space is a vaccum or whatever. like the idea of there being literally nothing in a physical space is kinda counterintuitive

“some jerk” posted:

The average density of the universe, according to NASA, is 5.9 protons (a positively charged subatomic particle) per cubic meter

If you then think about the density of somewhere like earth:

- 1 litre of water contains 1.10 × 10^26 atoms
- 1 cubic metre is 1000 litres
- a hydrogen atom is 1 electron, 1 proton. oxygen is 6 electrons, 6 protons (h2o)

And that’s just earth. Obviously there are stars, planets, and all sorts of other stuff with high densities. with so much mass tied up in celestial bodies then space is even emptier than the average suggests.

https://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_matter.html

get it together ‘space’ u fucker

git apologist fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 19, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

git apologist posted:

i was thinking about how loving weird it is that space is a vaccum or whatever. like the idea of there being literally nothing in a physical space is kinda counterintuitive

apparently

If you then think about the density of somewhere like earth:

- 1 litre of water contains 1.10 × 10^26 atoms
- 1 cubic metre is 1000 litres
- a hydrogen atom is 1 electron, 1 proton. oxygen is 6 electrons, 6 protons (h2o)

so with so much mass tied up in celestial bodies then space is even emptier than the average suggests.

https://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_matter.html

get it together ‘space’ u fucker

I love this. And if the current models are correct, our Universe is heading towards an inevitable heat death some trillions and trillions of years in the future. Which will feature cool things like one atom occupying an entire galactic space, randomly. And that will continue for trillions more years....

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

git apologist fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 19, 2024

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

good article https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/03/a-cosmologists-guide-to-the-greatest-astronomical-discoveries-of-all-time/

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Apparently Betelgeuse is a hot mess:
https://streaming-eu.mpg.de/de/institute/mpa/highlights/Betelgeuse_boiling.mp4

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Issaries posted:

Apparently Betelgeuse is a hot mess

Same

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Issaries posted:

Apparently Betelgeuse is a hot mess:

What makes the bubbles fall so fast? If there's explosive fusion happening (or whatever the technical term is) seems like gravity would have a regular rate of descent?

or is a black hole eating the middle :ohdear:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

What makes the bubbles fall so fast? If there's explosive fusion happening (or whatever the technical term is) seems like gravity would have a regular rate of descent?

or is a black hole eating the middle :ohdear:

If there was a black hole at the center (and that does happen), the star explodes nearly instantly after.

I'd have to read up on it, but I assume the bubbling is the result of the extreme magnetic forces interacting.

naem
May 29, 2011

is beetlejuice close enough to hit us with gamma rays if it blows I forget

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

naem posted:

no one wants to blow us. we’re the only truckstop in the universe where you can catch herpes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

No. It's no threat.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
betelgeuse betelgeuse betelgeuce

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

git apologist posted:

it’s easy to think of the solar system as kinda tidy with the planets roughly evenly spaced out but there’s a loving shitload of nothing even in such a relatively busy place

eg mars is roughly 100 million kms away, which is kinda far in itself, but jupiter, the next planet, is another 600million kms beyond that, then saturn is another 700 million kms further on, another 1.5 billion kms to uranus and so on

space is loving huge and between the literally astronomical distances and time dilation due to relativity there’s sweet FA chance of us ever making it very far out there. lmao

tfw u realize why space is called space

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Mozi posted:

betelgeuse betelgeuse betelgeuce

nice fuckin cosmic model!

honk honk!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

adios delta iv heavy, you were expensive as heck but you mostly worked. ready for one last liftoff with a whole lot of hydrogen and a little oxygen too

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
badass

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

TrashMammal posted:

adios delta iv heavy, you were expensive as heck but you mostly worked. ready for one last liftoff with a whole lot of hydrogen and a little oxygen too

:patriot:

salute to the rocket that sets itself on fire on launch

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Anyone going to watch the solar eclipse on April 8th? I'm going to SE Missouri. Got my eclipse glasses and solar filter for the telescope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNK2LI7VeX4&t=8s

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm close enough to the center line that I'm driving. Clouds of course are my main concern. If there is partial cloudiness, I've got 4 main locations I can head to all in the same general direction. I rented a car!

Traffic is the thing I can't predict. It's gonna be busy, no doubt. But like, add a 1-2 hours to your trip busy?

I saw the aftermath of the 2017 eclipse out in Denver - no hotel rooms available in the city - and it's spooked me as to how busy it will get.

Certain places will be worse than others of course. I think Indianapolis will be a big destination for example.

IF you have the chance to see this - Monday, April 8th - you should go for it. As odds are you'll never get a chance like this again, and to see the full solar eclipse is supposed to be just incredible.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i live basically right under totality. i could drive 45 mins to see totality but nah gently caress that. my kids will be just getting out of school when it peaks so im thinking to pick them up and we can watch it together :3:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i live basically right under totality. i could drive 45 mins to see totality but nah gently caress that. my kids will be just getting out of school when it peaks so im thinking to pick them up and we can watch it together :3:

Are you under totality, but just less of it, or under partial eclipse?

Because from what I read, there's no real comparison between the full eclipse and partial. One is the big experience, and the other, it just gets vaguely darker for a few minutes.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

Are you under totality, but just less of it, or under partial eclipse?

Because from what I read, there's no real comparison between the full eclipse and partial. One is the big experience, and the other, it just gets vaguely darker for a few minutes.

i live just outside toronto so it's like 99.5%

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

i live just outside toronto so it's like 99.5%

I don't know man. You may want to make a short drive. It's a night and day difference.

Once in a lifetime....

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

I don't know man. You may want to make a short drive. It's a night and day difference.

Once in a lifetime....

Yup. If you're that close you should go. I'm staying about 2 hours away from where we're viewing the eclipse. Planning on making an entire day of it in hopes of avoiding traffic going in or coming out.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yeah you know what gently caress it. im booking a half day and taking my kids out of school at lunch. lets go

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i happen to be directly in the path of totality but i'm sure it'll be cloudy or something

got my glasses anyways

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

anybody thinking to watch the last of the deltas go up in flames?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DajlB_jUPM

t-16 mins or so

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

anybody thinking to watch the last of the deltas go up in flames?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DajlB_jUPM

t-16 mins or so

oh hell yeah. all cops are bastards, but at least this one has the dignity to self immolate when it’s done narcing

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

scrub duie to too windy :(

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

see yall tm for the next attempt

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

yeah you know what gently caress it. im booking a half day and taking my kids out of school at lunch. lets go

Hell yeah brother.

Now we pray for blue skies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

redshirt posted:

Hell yeah brother.

Now we pray for blue skies.
Looks like the delay will be longer than initially expected, they'll have to pick a new launch date
https://twitter.com/ulalaunch/status/1773498611164160165

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

e lipses are when the sun saddles on up behind thay twink lil moon and says aw you done wrong moon and youre gonna take every bit of me to make up for it and the moon is like oh my stars cause all yhe stars come out while the suns balles deep in the

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

wonder what the moons favorite brand of video head cleaner is