Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A buddy of mine is in Puerto Vallarta or something and the other night he posted some video he said was of a comet. It certainly looked like a comet, it had the coma tail but it moved across the sky in seconds. I was under the impression comets didn't transit thus quickly, and tended to hang around in the sky for hours or days or even weeks at a time, but when I pointed this out someone smugly shared some tracking website that seemed to indicate the opposite.

Is this possible? Are there comets with such short transits that you could miss them if you weren't looking at exactly the right part of the sky at exactly the right time? Or am I right that what he saw was likely some UAP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Vampire Panties posted:

Comets don't directly, but the Perseid meteor showers every year is from tiny bits of the Swift-Tuttle comet

but yeah what your friend saw was a meteor

I believe this, but it did look different from any meteor I've ever seen. Like I said it did have the coma tail and didn't seem to streak like ones I've seen. I wonder if i tell at this guy 'it's a meteor, not a comet' he'll fire back with some 'same thing :smug:'

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Cactus Ghost posted:

wonder what the moons favorite brand of video head cleaner is

is this a poppers joke