Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm here, and I'm cool as F, attach HERE if you need to..........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Here's a cheat sheet to humanity in space:

TL;DR: It's real hard

Otherwise, there's no where good to go

Humanity's only future in space is in spinning space stations

There's very little appealing about Mars
Or the Moon

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cool thing to consider: There's the visible universe, which is the measure of the furthest source of light. However, because of the expansion of the universe, there are parts of the universe from which light will never reach us - it's too far away, and with space expanding, always further and further.....

We know nothing about this unobservable universe. Like how big it might be. One can assume the laws of physics are the same, but just an assumption. And we'll never know otherwise.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Speaking of smashing rocks, we live on at least Earth 2.0, as Earth 1.0 was mostly destroyed in the collision with another small planet. Which we mostly absorbed, leading to our big iron core, and our relatively huge Moon. Earth 2.0 was a much improved planet.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Hey, if Earth 2.0 is much improved, imagine how swell Earth 3.0 will be!

Um, we may not all be around to see that particular update, but I'm sure it will be great. Don't listen to the haters.

Two words: Smart Dinosaurs

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bradzilla posted:

there were thousands of planets in the proto solar system. they smashed into each other until the elite survivors remained and aligned into the perfect delicate system of equilibrium and orbit

Indeed. I think what's different here (with the collision that ultimately produced the Moon) was it was pretty late in that process of building.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We have iron in our blood. Blood being super important to our success as a machine.

That iron came from a big old rear end star that exploded, long ago. And not our Sun, that's our brother/sister/uncle/aunt.

But rather, some long gone big rear end star, that exploded, and seeded the gas cloud that became our Sun and solar system.

The iron in our blood is older than the Sun, older than the Earth....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

What? No it is not. The sun made the iron in our blood you jackass

No it did not.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

where do you think it came from sam?

Some star we'll never know. It blew up over 4.5 billion years ago.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the sun has iron in it but it will never become part of planets. it's not big enough to nova. all of earth's heavy elements came from stars that went supernova

You could say the Sun has exactly the same percentage of iron in it that a person does....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I do like that you answered to sam. You always looked like a Sam to me

I'm your Huckleberry

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There is no short term future on the Moon or Mars. Better to spend our efforts on structures in space.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

space is cool and I hope mumpy keeps replying to every post like a reddit op

I have an idea to harvest a Mumpy for in orbit maneuvers

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Imagine the very center of the super massive black hole at the center of the galaxy....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fun fact: So called "shooting stars" are just the size of grains of sand, falling onto Earth from space. Every single day, about a ton of material from space falls to Earth. A ton, every day!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fusion is so cool. Little spheres of magic contained within giant orbs of gas.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

I think life exists or has existed at some point in the universe because no way are we the only dumb ape to ever be around

It seems inevitable.

Single cell life on Earth began very close to the beginning of the planet. And this is after a major collision that turned the Earth into magma. Give the endless amount of exoplanets and all the same conditions and materials, how could life NOT exist elsewhere. Everywhere.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I think we'll find other life right here in our solar system, in the various ice moons. Saturn's moon Enceladus would be the best bet due to relative ease of sampling the water. Europa, another candidate, will be much more difficult.

That's one of the greatest discoveries of the last 30 years by the way, and it sorta goes under the radar: There's water everywhere. Earth is dry in comparison to some of the ocean moons out there.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We'll never know until we have a second detection of life, and that detection will have to be very "clean" and methodical, as the possibility of contamination from the probe is real and has to be addressed in a variety of ways.

BUT, given that single cell life on Earth started up pretty much as soon as the planet was not a fiery ball of magma, it seems highly plausible to me that life will also start up elsewhere given the right conditions. Like a chemical reaction.

Now whether that life evolves into anything complex is a whole other matter, and that complex life being "smart" an entirely different matter still.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I love space and space related stuff, so excuse my enthusiasm. I'd like to share this cool mental image with you:

The Oort Cloud
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oort_cloud

This is essentially the outer boundary of the Sun's gravitational influence. And it's a giant sphere of ice. An ice cloud.

And every other similar star likely has a similar ice cloud. Maybe all stars.

So, you probably have a mental image of the solar system (and thus, every solar system) as flat plane of planets in orbit around the central star, and that's accurate. But now imagine that orbital plane enclosed within a sphere of ice particles, ranging in size from super tiny to Manhattan sized, maybe bigger. And now imagine every star out there a brilliant point of light encased in a sphere of ice particles. Little glowing snowballs in the vast darkness.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

I bet Venus' gross rear end ocean of acid is host to life

I'd bet against life on Venus. And if it exists it's super rare and in isolated craters or caves.

Conditions on Venus are harsh. Hottest place in the solar system outside the surface of the sun. It's literal Hell.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

yeah and snails live on ocean vents making metal shells, the atmosphere of a runaway greenhouse planet is the best possible place to look and something is fixing gases there

Just getting to the surface of Venus would be a challenge. Let alone discovering life.

I am very interested in the phosphine in the atmosphere debate that's going on. It's going back and forth currently.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Venera did it plenty, it wasn't worth poo poo.

Venera lasted like 8 minutes or something before it melted. Still, a real accomplishment for the Soviet space program.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Despite Musk being a colossal dipshit, I am super excited to see Starship succeed. More mass to orbit for far cheaper = a lot more ideas getting into orbit.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My opinion on the future of mankind in space:

Mankind will only live and work in space long term if the money is there. So how do you make profit in space?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TrashMammal posted:

most ferengi brained post in the space thread

No one's gonna just foot the bill for the enormous cost of long term human habitation on the Moon

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My space colony: We get a real big asteroid and put it into lunar orbit. We then have a big giant spinning ring housing hundreds working on mining the asteroid and other asteroid related industries.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

it's happened plenty of times in history, so why not. probably not right now cause current political climate is bad but who knows. stranger things have happened

What has happened plenty of times in history?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

enormous capital outlays on prestige projects or adventures that have no certain payoff

Doesn't seem likely in this political environment.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

There's a multinational space station without a profit motivation, right now.

The profit motivation is keeping the Russians on board. Also the ISS is clearly not a profit center.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mnoba posted:

helium 3 is the best fuel for fission reactors which don't exist yet, but is very rare on earth but easier found on the moon

Tell me when we build a profitable Helium 3 infrastructure. For the imaginary Fusion reactors.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

A buddy of mine is in Puerto Vallarta or something and the other night he posted some video he said was of a comet. It certainly looked like a comet, it had the coma tail but it moved across the sky in seconds. I was under the impression comets didn't transit thus quickly, and tended to hang around in the sky for hours or days or even weeks at a time, but when I pointed this out someone smugly shared some tracking website that seemed to indicate the opposite.

Is this possible? Are there comets with such short transits that you could miss them if you weren't looking at exactly the right part of the sky at exactly the right time? Or am I right that what he saw was likely some UAP?

Comets don't enter Earth's orbit.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

I believe this, but it did look different from any meteor I've ever seen. Like I said it did have the coma tail and didn't seem to streak like ones I've seen. I wonder if i tell at this guy 'it's a meteor, not a comet' he'll fire back with some 'same thing :smug:'

Meteors in the atmosphere can have flaming tails, but they are fundamentally different "tails" than comets - one is burning up in the atmosphere, the other is being outgassed by solar pressures.

Fireballs I think they're called, and they're just bigger meteors with more mass and a chemical composition more prone to "burning".

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fun fact: Most "shooting stars" you see are the size of grains of sand.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm gonna go on here about gravity points. It's something I think about all the time.

To wit, we live in Space-Time, a 4 Dimensional fabric that is shaped by gravity. Gravity is created by mass.

Everything with mass shapes this space. You have mass, as does the Earth and Sun and Milky Way.

Mass changes, as everything changes, including Space-Time. Thus, we live in a 4 Dimensional cube of Space-Time in constant modulation based on mass.

Now, that's the big picture - planet, star, collection of stars, super massive black hole, galactic cluster, we go on and on in gravitationally shaped space. Forever.

So, that understood, you can understand yourself as 4 geographic reference points.... with some flair.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Praise Him!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Reggae music plays

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Seriously though, think of the structure of space, and this vast well we find ourselves, going ever down....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There's space stuff going through you right now. So small that it doesn't smash into anything.