Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

space freaking rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

im gonna buy a solar filter for my scope and look directly at the eclipse and its gonna be epic

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

like my dad is super big into astronomy and astrophysics and I'm just like "why?"

shut the gently caress up bitch

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

this mission patch owns so hard

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Prettz posted:

space is awesome when there's spaceships in it

space ships rule and as always bigger = better

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lmao

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

looking forward to a gigantic spaceship launch sometime this month. orbit + landing for the booster stage mayhap?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

What? No it is not. The sun made the iron in our blood you jackass

the sun has iron in it but it will never become part of planets. it's not big enough to nova. all of earth's heavy elements came from stars that went supernova

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the Big loving Rocket just did a wet dress rehearsal and got these sick af photos

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bradzilla posted:

you're supposed to roll it down all the way to the base

magnum dong problems

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

either its going to orbit and the booster is gonna land or we're gonna get another epic explosion. can't lose

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

No one's gonna just foot the bill for the enormous cost of long term human habitation on the Moon

it's happened plenty of times in history, so why not. probably not right now cause current political climate is bad but who knows. stranger things have happened

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

What has happened plenty of times in history?

enormous capital outlays on prestige projects or adventures that have no certain payoff

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

Doesn't seem likely in this political environment.

oh you mean right now, by americans? thought maybe you meant ever. yeah i agree. china tho...

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i just fundamentally disagree that without profit motive, we won't explore or inhabit the extraterrestrial. but now we wade into one the oldest forum arguments about space. an absolute classic

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

flubber nuts posted:

There are over one billion rocks in space.

oh wow

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

this

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

spacex's bigass rocket is gonna blow up another pad on thursday. 8 am. i'll be watching

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

is this thing gonna launch or what

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfnkZFtHPmM

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

drat wild that was only 3 years ago. the development pace is crazy

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

oh sick they put a timer lol. t-15 mins

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

successful launch, here comes the landing attempt

e: booster probably blew up on its landing run lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

Everything looks great so far

yep. starship in orbit now. cool poo poo. hope they got video of the booster blowing up, looks like it ran out of fuel or all the engines didnt turn on or something? in any case huge improvement, and it looks like they didnt utterly devastate the launch pad this time too lmao

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the re-entry shot with the plasma is incredible lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Scam Likely posted:

It's incredible what a team of talented determined people can accomplish in spite of their CEO.

yep.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

looks like starship probably broke up on re-entry. looked like it was tumbling a bit at the start. that camera shot of the plasma tho - goddamn. what a time to be alive

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Scam Likely posted:

So Superheavy booster failed at landing burn relight, and Starship failed due to loss of attitude control before re-entry.

not sure if that was the cause/timing of the booster failure, i think some of the engines may have lit? but yeah seems starship had an attitude problem. im not sure, but during the stream it also seemed like it was venting something in space? not sure if it was leaking or what

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Scam Likely posted:

Welp see you lads again in 6 months.

you think itll be that long? they already have stacked rockets, and this mission was pretty dang close to a full success

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

Imagine being the guy who sends an update command to freaking Voyager. No pressure there!

i was thinking the other day how cool it must be to be part of the legacy crew for voyager and similar

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

TrashMammal posted:

been hearing that space is a worthless place for worthless people lately. what say ye about these accusations, space bros?

you can tell the state of the publics psyche by evaluating how much they hate space. and boy is the publics psyche in trouble right now

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

TrashMammal posted:

adios delta iv heavy, you were expensive as heck but you mostly worked. ready for one last liftoff with a whole lot of hydrogen and a little oxygen too

:patriot:

salute to the rocket that sets itself on fire on launch

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i live basically right under totality. i could drive 45 mins to see totality but nah gently caress that. my kids will be just getting out of school when it peaks so im thinking to pick them up and we can watch it together :3:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

Are you under totality, but just less of it, or under partial eclipse?

Because from what I read, there's no real comparison between the full eclipse and partial. One is the big experience, and the other, it just gets vaguely darker for a few minutes.

i live just outside toronto so it's like 99.5%

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yeah you know what gently caress it. im booking a half day and taking my kids out of school at lunch. lets go

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

anybody thinking to watch the last of the deltas go up in flames?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DajlB_jUPM

t-16 mins or so

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

scrub duie to too windy :(

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

see yall tm for the next attempt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i happened to hear a tidbit from a coworker watching the falcon launch today. this is the 279th falcon landing to date. crazy how routine these have become