Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

space is aptly named

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

I keep forgetting that Mars is so small relative to Earth - always thought it was like Venus in that it was approx Earth-sized

I'll hand in my space card and badge now

yeah but because it has no surface oceans it has roughly the same land area as earth

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it’s easy to think of the solar system as kinda tidy with the planets roughly evenly spaced out but there’s a loving shitload of nothing even in such a relatively busy place

eg mars is roughly 100 million kms away, which is kinda far in itself, but jupiter, the next planet, is another 600million kms beyond that, then saturn is another 700 million kms further on, another 1.5 billion kms to uranus and so on

space is loving huge and between the literally astronomical distances and time dilation due to relativity there’s sweet FA chance of us ever making it very far out there. lmao

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it’s just really loving big and large, like ur mum

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i think sagan or drake or somewhere calculated that if you run the drake equation through with reasonable assumptions, then intelligent civilisations would be spread across the universe at an average distance of about 200 light years apart. 200 light years is not far on a universal scale but is really quite a long way indeed for widdle humans

drat you spacetime :argh:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i was thinking about how loving weird it is that space is a vaccum or whatever. like the idea of there being literally nothing in a physical space is kinda counterintuitive

“some jerk” posted:

The average density of the universe, according to NASA, is 5.9 protons (a positively charged subatomic particle) per cubic meter

If you then think about the density of somewhere like earth:

- 1 litre of water contains 1.10 × 10^26 atoms
- 1 cubic metre is 1000 litres
- a hydrogen atom is 1 electron, 1 proton. oxygen is 6 electrons, 6 protons (h2o)

And that’s just earth. Obviously there are stars, planets, and all sorts of other stuff with high densities. with so much mass tied up in celestial bodies then space is even emptier than the average suggests.

https://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_matter.html

get it together ‘space’ u fucker

git apologist fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 19, 2024

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

git apologist fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 19, 2024

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

good article https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/03/a-cosmologists-guide-to-the-greatest-astronomical-discoveries-of-all-time/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

is this a poppers joke

no it’s a serious question, don’t be so offensive