Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
In today's pedantry corner, I must ask why we say "a few minutes" when "a" is singular and "minutes" is plural. We don't say "a several minutes" or "a many minutes," do we?

P.S. "Few" is a word that sounds weird when you say it a few times. Fyoo fyoo fyoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Because few is singular. There is only one few being counted but multiple minutes.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
------------------------8<------------------------

Close thread, goldmine.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

A bunch of
A plethora of
A couple of
A few of

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The English put on a good show but basically they don't know what they're doing op

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

A butt load

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
hang on a minute

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
It’s the same reason you own several pairs of pants and a pair of shoes. English is messed up.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Pick your poison: analytical language with articles? Or synthetic language with a dozen cases and three genders?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Think of it like "A cup of beans".

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Do you understand how groups of things work, OP?

Or maybe I should say: do you understand how a group of things works, OP?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

XYZAB posted:

Pick your poison: analytical language with articles? Or synthetic language with a dozen cases and three genders?

ein eine einen few

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Minutes probably have a dumb collective noun the english pulled out of their rear end/asses like with lions and crows etc.

A porcelain of minutes or something

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

None, zero, one, a couple, a few, several, many, numerous, countless, infinite.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Icochet posted:

Minutes probably have a dumb collective noun the english pulled out of their rear end/asses like with lions and crows etc.

Yeah they're called hours.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Fyoo Fighters

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Because the person saying it is giving as little consideration to your request as they have their response.

Are there people that really receive "a few minutes" as anything than, go away, I will get to it if I happen to remember it before you bother me with it at a more convenient time? I thought this was a universal "the check is in the mail", "I'll get you next time" situation.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Three Olives posted:

Because the person saying it is giving as little consideration to your request as they have their response.

Are there people that really receive "a few minutes" as anything than, go away, I will get to it if I happen to remember it before you bother me with it at a more convenient time? I thought this was a universal "the check is in the mail", "I'll get you next time" situation.

I always tell people I'll be there or ready in a few minutes instead of saying I'm on the toilet so... yes?

Or if dinner is almost done.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

composer Percy Grainger funded a museum dedicated to himself at the University of Melbourne and along with his letters, manuscripts, and other personal effects he included a package they had to agree to open and display 10 years after his death and when they opened it up it contained bloody shirts and whips and photos of him self-flagellating and pics of his wife in bondage poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4q3oK8_BQ0

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Tarkus posted:

None, zero, one, a couple, a few, several, many, numerous, countless, infinite.

None means less than zero? But none is everything in that case, at least according to Elvis Costello.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Voting this thread few

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9E9LPao2uM

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

In a similar vein I recently argued with a friend about whether "a couple" means "two" or "a few".

I said it means "a couple" but I'm aware some people use it wrong.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

kiminewt posted:

In a similar vein I recently argued with a friend about whether "a couple" means "two" or "a few".

nah, you are right, it means a couple

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Then what the hell does my wife mean when she says she finds our couplings unsatisfying?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Then what the hell does my wife mean when she says she finds our couplings unsatisfying?

nothing good my friend

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Just explain how you don't find her physically attractive anymore, she'll understand

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

kiminewt posted:

just wait until you throw several into the "how many is a few and how many is a couple" argument

a couple is 2 or very little
a few is 3-5
several is like 5-7 idk

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

RavenousScoot posted:

just wait until you throw several into the "how many is a few and how many is a couple" argument

a couple is 2 or very little
a few is 3-5
several is like 5-7 idk

I feel the same.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Few is a noun. The other examples you give are adjectives. This is a total failure of pedantry.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Few is a noun. The other examples you give are adjectives. This is a total failure of pedantry.

But that would be "a few of minutes."

Icochet posted:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When it comes to time, people are predictably imprecise.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

Worf posted:

Voting this thread few

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

love to be pedantic about things i didn't actually know.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

NoiseAnnoys posted:

love to be pedantic about things i didn't actually know.

moving the thread to D&D

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Worf posted:

Voting this thread few

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
few is actually a determiner, and, yeah, it does have some strange properties

por ejemplo, the word "anything" generally can't be used in affirmative sentences. that is, you can say "he didn't do anything," but it would sound odd to say "he did anything." one'd more likely phrase it as "he did something." correct?
but when "few" is used, this property changes; it sounds perfectly fine to say "few did anything."
this is called licensing negative polarity items. to "license" in linguistics just means to make something grammatically valid and "negative polarity items" are terms or constructions that are only found in negative contexts (negative here meaning "denoting the absence rather than presence of distinguishing features")

😮‍💨

SO,
the other unusual property of "few," as you noticed (I would say rather astutely!), is that when modified by a second determiner, an article, its meaning changes
to wit, the sentences "I have few apples" and "I have a few apples" have subtly different meanings. they both express, literally, "I have an indefinite but small quantity of apples," but the former specifically stresses that it is not many (often comparative to a real or potential larger amount), while the latter is the more neutral quantification that most of us are talking about itt

we're pretty deep down the grammar rabbit hole now, though, and if that simple descriptive distinction doesn't satisfy your curiosity, I'd have to take a few levels in word nerd to even begin speculating as to why it's like this. I suspect that that would fall under historic or diachronic linguistics? my guess would be that the negative connotations (negative here meaning "not desirable") of "few" came first, and the use of the indefinite article "a" was borrowed from the similar term "a couple" in order to distinguish when it's being used strictly as a quantifier (in that way that the sort of fuzzy grammar of everyday speech doesn't follow strict rules and is only concerned with mutually intelligible meaning) but that's just a guess

edit: :doh: jesus christ, I forgot. the whole reason I brought up licensing negative polarity items is, while "few" licenses negative polarity items, "a few" doesn't.
so while "few did anything" sounds fine, "a few did anything" sounds as wrong as "he did anything"
isn't that fascinating?

also I forgot to mention, using the definite article, "the few" has a similar effect to "a few" à la "the few, the proud, the brave"

I'm also like 90% sure that there are other examples of words having slightly different definitions when paired with specific qualifiers, but I'm struggling to think of any right now. sorry. it's late and I'm tired

Cubone fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 2, 2024

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
a couple is precisely 2 wtf

a few is from 3 to maybe 6

several is from maybe 5 to 8 i guess???

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
A few can be a couple but several is more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I neatly side step this by never committing to any time frames and get weirdly aggressive if pressed