Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

What you on about m8?
Tomorrow the NRL is attempting to make inroads into the American market by hosting the two opening games of the regular season in the Las Vegas Raiders home stadium.

How does the game work - allow the dulcet tones of Russell Crowe to explain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JPPzTnUZz4

Who's playing

The four teams featuring tomorrow are some of the top flight teams in the competition who figure to be well in the mix for this season's postseason. Rather than this being some Panthers vs Chicago poo poo show, you'll see the elite of the elite with three of the featured teams making the postseason and three of them being short odds to win a premiership this year.

You will see the South Sydney Rabbitohs (green and red in the vid above) taking on the Manly Sea Eagles (maroon and white) - two offensive powerhouses who fell off due to injury this year. Both teams feature a lot of talent who have represented the country, powerful forward packs and a reputation for hard nosed offensive play and violent defensive intention.

The second game features two of the most storied franchises in the NRL. Both clubs are rich, both covered in glory and each feature an aggressive engine room and world class attacking style. The Sydney Roosters are a lot like the patriots (including their blue, white and red scheme), not loved by anyone but their fans, quite successful and a bunch of cheats. They're taking on my home town team - the Brisbane Broncos (Washington commies colours) . The Broncos came within 5 minutes of winning our equivalent superbowl last year and are considered a resurgent franchise - they were once great. Went to poo poo for three years via a youth movement and now feature one of the youngest and most successful rosters in the NRL. I feel like this is the better game of the two and should showcase some intense defensive play and attacking flair the level of which you're unlikely to see in even world class rugby. Both of these teams are full of balance, running and power and it really is one of the marquee match ups of the year. A potential grand final preview in week 1.

Stuff you might want to know:
Basically all the players you'll see tomorrow are roughly the size of wide receivers, running backs and tight ends. Though we all love a fat man in athletic competitions, there isn't really a place for them in the modern NRL. The only potential analogues I can give are for you to think of the interior players - known as forwards or "the forward pack" like the offensive / defensive linemen - the blokes who do the hard work, the poo poo work and drive momentum. The "outside backs" are your skill position pretty boys who end up on the poster and get the plaudits for capitalizing on the hard work done in the trenches and the second row - generally the big athletic, hitters.

The most important positions are what we call the "spine" the hooker, fullback and halves (five eighth and half back). To try (and probably fail) to explain how these positions work - the fullback acts as both a defensive play caller - and almost a free safety and something of a running back, sweeping around "the ruck" - where a player is tackled, looking to exploit defensive tendencies. In this game you'll see four of the best to ever do it at the position. All four have represented their country and their state. The Hooker or Dummy Half distributes the ball after a tackle - almost "taking the snap" from the tackled player. They also play dead center in the defense and have to be a sound, tough, tackling machine. The Halves are the defacto punters and quarterbacks of the team. They'll normally direct the plays, set attacking formations and be responsible for the end of set (think downs) disposal, whether that being some kind of offensive gambit or a clearing kick. About as hard to find as quarterbacks. there's normally one of the duo who has to take a back seat in organizing and chance their hand in the running game (5/8th traditionally), while the 7 (halfback) calls the plays and uses a deft hand. An often used adage is that a half back on a successful team "should be able to play in a dinner suit" ideally not having to run as much, tackle as much but use their instincts, passing and kicking to run the team. These four match ups feature a rare mix of youthful exuberance and potential and veterans at the height of their powers.

I cannot stress enough - just how good these four teams are. I know the NFL usually scrapes the bottom of the barrel to throw london a novelty but these games will feature multiple players who have won MVP awards, grand final rings and representative honors - they really are attempting to put the best possible product forth.

Some hits and cool scoring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_RvzqF4ZVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn9dL2kq9Hg

How can I watch?

This link might have deets http://www.fubo.tv/welcome?irad=366904&irmp=1131770&sharedid=editorial It's also on Fox Sports at at 19:30 and 21:30.

If anyone is planning to tune in, sound off and we can use this thread as a GDT and I'll make sure I don't have too many pre-beers to help with any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Thanks for pointing this out. Stumbled across Australian Super League rugby when it was available through ESPN+ and have wanted to get more into rugby ever since.

What are some good options for watching replays of NRL or any other rugby league? Fubo's outside of my budget right now and watching the game live isn't a big priority while I'm still a casual.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Anals of History posted:

Thanks for pointing this out. Stumbled across Australian Super League rugby when it was available through ESPN+ and have wanted to get more into rugby ever since.

What are some good options for watching replays of NRL or any other rugby league? Fubo's outside of my budget right now and watching the game live isn't a big priority while I'm still a casual.

Thats a good question, I'll look into it for you tonight because I'm really not sure if there's a way for free beyond extended highlights they put up on yt for free.