Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I was sick the other week and downloaded the Tetris app to play while laid out on my couch, only for it to show advertisements after every level. These advertisements were for much shittier looking games, garbageware essentially, and occurred with enough frequency that I deleted the app after about 30 minutes. I'm very crabby about ads.

What are the ad-free apps in your life? Apps where you only pay one time to be forever ad-free are also acceptable.

I have an Android phone and so I use Weawow for weather and am enjoying Just Run as I train for a 10K. And of course, there is the Awful app, which is great for toilet scrolling. I miss third-party Twitter apps a lot.

I would like a phone game that is ad-free or at least tolerably ads-lite but this seems difficult to search for. Please, help me find something to play when I should be working or paying attention to my friends and loved ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Probably one of the best free puzzle games ever: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=name.boyle.chris.sgtpuzzles

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

This, this is a great rec. Thank you for brightening my ad-free toilet time

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've got some stuff I like that's not on the Play Store. These apps are on alternative app stores with an open source focus. Installing anything from them is done on a YOLO basis, there is no guarantee anything is vetted by anyone. If this is not for you, that's fine. I sort of tumbled into that world by discovering you could search for open source on the Play Store and occasionally come up with a free app that doesn't have ads or upsell stuff. Then, through NewPipe, an app for ad-free YouTube watching, I got desensitized to using software that wasn't on the Play Store, and it was... fine? I like that on f-droid, apps get explicit demerits for having ads at all. Meanwhile Play Store vibes have gone downhill with Google inserting ads for barely related apps at the top of your search results. I know vibes aren't facts, but basically I don't trust Google to keep malware out of the store either. In any case, I'll occasionally be scrolling through these app stores and find neat utilities.

Droid-ify
Store app to access the F-Droid and IzzyOnDroid app repositories and to get notifications of app updates.

Mull
Mull is a Firefox based webbrowser with better default privacy settings. You can and should install uBlock Origin in it.

LinkSheet
You can set this as your default browser and when opening a link from another app, you'll be offered options for installed apps that can open this type of link. Android used to do this, but it was removed in Android 12+.

ImgurViewer
Opens all sorts of image and video links, including album links. The only thing it really lacks is static gif support. If someone on the forums posts a weird image or video link that doesn't embed properly, I send it to this app.

Auto Auto-Rotate
Set per app auto-rotate preferences, that you can still override manually if you need it.

KeepOn
One of many similar apps that can create a quick settings toggle to switch screen time-out behavior between time-out after a set time or keep screen on indefinitely. This can then automatically reset to default when you manually turn off the screen.

HTTP Request Shortcuts
Make home screen shorcuts for urls that open in your default browser. I think you can or could do this in Chrome natively, but Firefox based browsers can't. You can send all sorts of requests to APIs or your own servers and home automation if you want, but I'm just using it to make a glorified bookmark for my smart thermostat.

LibreOffice & OpenOffice document reader
This opens PDF files as well as Microsoft Office files and all the stuff mentioned in its name.

OSS Document Scanner
Scan documents with the camera. Automatic edge finder, optimize contrast, save to image or pdf. Has OCR built in to make PDF text searchable, though it's not perfect.

Tubular
Ad free Youtube viewing. It's a fork of NewPipe that implements SponsorBlock. Can't do anything that would require logging into Youtube.

Transistor
Simple frontend for the internet streams for radio stations found on the volunteer maintained www.radio-browser.info. I've not yet come across radio stations that weren't on there at all.

Games, though.

Super Mega Retro Wars
Tetris Asteroids, Space invaders, Missile Command, Snake. This has multiplayer options that I've never used.

Cards with Cats
Play Hearts, Spades or Oh Hell against computer controlled cats.

Simple Solitaire Collection
17 single player card games. Is ancient and won't ever get updates, but works fine.

Gurgle
This is a Wordle clone.

SuperTuxKart
Mario Kart clone. Steer by tilting your phone. You can set up matches across the internet or on the local network, apparently. I've never done that.

TowerJumper
Endless time waster. Lead a bouncing ball to the bottom of the tower.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

ReadEra - basic e-reader app that'll open just about any document type and so far has never served ads