Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Were you part of a clique? In middle school I was a disaffected punk skateboarder type but by high school I had downgraded to band geek. Where were you on the hierarchy? Any prom queens or kings here? I'm doubting it but I think it may depend on the culture of the school, like I went to a fairly big public school vs some private schools or the STEM ones may have less traditionally popular kids be popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I was super popular, feel free to ask me about the highs, and yes, the lows, of massive popularity.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I didn't have any friends in school, op. Thanks for reminding me.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the clique i belonged to, we did a lot of one man shows, it was tight af

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I guess I was in the nerd clique, but had alliances with the weeb clique, furry clique, and the queer clique because the bi girls at school were all really into me which makes sense in hindsight.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I was the absolute bottom of the social barrel and it was a good day if I could just be ignored by everybody long enough to get through it and go home. I was a military kid and had the misfortune of moving to a different state between middle school and high school which was awful and I just sort of gave up on everything as my agoraphobia started to manifest itself along with a fun depression that lead to two hospitalizations and I began responding to any attempt at bullying me by throwing a punch because I knew it meant a week off from school and that was worth it even if it meant I got an rear end beating. I ended up being put on a home bound program my senior year and if I'd had access to firearms I could have easily been a school shooter.

Thanks for asking, OP

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
No I was never a part of any clique. I have intensely strong negative feelings about cliquishness, but I might feel differently about it if I were, you know, good at it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

They let me read the morning announcements over the intercom every morning. I'd mock teachers, other students, had a joke of the day.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I thought this was gonna be a thread about Screeching Weasel. Now my brain hurts. THANKS.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I was the school slut

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The music makers (band, orchestra, and mariachi classes) were all a tight knit bunch who hung out in the band room and orchestra pit together and tried to play off each other. Good times, good people.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ever heard of the PEN15 club?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I moved every year (twice 2 years) of school until freshman year of high school.

As such, I had honed my popularity seeking techniques to perfection.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I was a dangerous loner OP.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

redshirt posted:

I moved every year (twice 2 years) of school until freshman year of high school.

As such, I had honed my popularity seeking techniques to perfection.

Military family here, there were two kinds of military brats, those that learned to ingratiate themselves to the locals quickly, and the really loving weird kids.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

Military family here, there were two kinds of military brats, those that learned to ingratiate themselves to the locals quickly, and the really loving weird kids.

lol right? Yep, sometimes on base (which in retrospect was a kid's paradise; behind a fence, lots of other kids, it was long ago so we were free to just go play....), othertimes off.

I had a gameplan and my father would coach me up (hard) that first day.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I was bizarrely lucky my senior year in high school. I had my toes in all the social circles; the jocks and cheerleaders, the science nerds, the art geeks, the mods/goths. Not because I tried, just because I had classes and was friendly with anyone that would talk with me.

This resulted in the strangest twist of events my senior year. I got voted in as Homecoming King. I have no idea how this happened. I remember a friend telling me my name was on the ballot and just assumed he was pranking me. With zero effort, I won. I had beat the sport jock kids and everyone else while not wanting to and putting zero effort into it.

The upside was that this meant I got paired with the Homecoming Queen; which happened to be one of the best looking, smartest girls in the school. She was miles out of my league, but a super decent person. She was well-liked and popular; but she also did not put herself out there with any particular social circles.

We had to attend a couple of events together, which was as wild as; going onto the field with some other kids at halftime of the football game and waving to the crowd. We even road on a float and waved to the crowd. At the homecoming dance we got crowns put on our heads that you'd think was some royal coronation. The whole time my friends and I were thinking; WTF, how did this happen? I got lucky and we actually kissed! A few years later I ran into her at a college party and we kissed again! We talked about it and she also thought it was the strangest/luckiest thing that could happen in high school.

That was my big brush with being in the circle of cool/popular kids. To this day I have no explanation for it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Internetjack posted:

I was bizarrely lucky my senior year in high school. I had my toes in all the social circles; the jocks and cheerleaders, the science nerds, the art geeks, the mods/goths. Not because I tried, just because I had classes and was friendly with anyone that would talk with me.

This resulted in the strangest twist of events my senior year. I got voted in as Homecoming King. I have no idea how this happened. I remember a friend telling me my name was on the ballot and just assumed he was pranking me. With zero effort, I won. I had beat the sport jock kids and everyone else while not wanting to and putting zero effort into it.

The upside was that this meant I got paired with the Homecoming Queen; which happened to be one of the best looking, smartest girls in the school. She was miles out of my league, but a super decent person. She was well-liked and popular; but she also did not put herself out there with any particular social circles.

We had to attend a couple of events together, which was as wild as; going onto the field with some other kids at halftime of the football game and waving to the crowd. We even road on a float and waved to the crowd. At the homecoming dance we got crowns put on our heads that you'd think was some royal coronation. The whole time my friends and I were thinking; WTF, how did this happen? I got lucky and we actually kissed! A few years later I ran into her at a college party and we kissed again! We talked about it and she also thought it was the strangest/luckiest thing that could happen in high school.

That was my big brush with being in the circle of cool/popular kids. To this day I have no explanation for it.

My man!

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
drop kicked the math teacher in the tooth because he denied the existence of God and got to sit at the jock table. for two weeks i was a king until they suggested i go back to the school shooter table so they wouldn't get too lonely

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't think we had like strict cliques like you see in American movies. Like a bunch of my friends were nerds, but I also hung out with the "cool kids" or the sports kids or arty ones. Like you just talk to people right? People are just people, no one was being all "you can't talk to them!" cause that'd be weird as hell. I knew most people I was graduating with and had a decent rapport with most of them.

I don't think I've willingly talked to anyone from high school since I graduated that weren't already close friends, but I figure that's because people are meant to move on in life right? I don't remember a tonne about high school, it was a pretty long time ago and it wasn't exactly clutch for my life.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I know this isn't realistic for most, but here's my "new school popularity template":

1 Observe and do nothing for some time, till the existing Bully is identified
2 Kick the bully's rear end
3 Do NOT take up any of the Bully's tribute streams
4 Savor the popularity for the rest of the school year as you have liberated an entire class

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

I was super popular, feel free to ask me about the highs, and yes, the lows, of massive popularity.

what happened? Why aren't you super popular anymore?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what happened? Why aren't you super popular anymore?

Massive concussion. Night and day, became a completely different person.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Massive concussion. Night and day, became a completely different person.

I don't believe that. gently caress you for saying CTE is a joke.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I don't believe that. gently caress you for saying CTE is a joke.

Huh.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
1st board on the chess team :smug:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My buddy's dad was in the Rotary Club and I found that mysterious and alluring.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

no worries man. Go back to what you were doing

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i was into wrestling and japanese Yakuza movies. played a lot of DDR and was good enough to AAA some songs. all my friends were in punk bands and I went to their shows in basements. high school was great.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Massively bullied in elementary and middle school (preacher's kid that endured a poo poo ton of belt punishment) but kiiiinda turned it around after I became a marching band nobody in 9th. By 11th I found out that being a class clown was still a viable strategy and I was head tuba player. Became popular-ish with the marching band kids but still hated the rest of the school until I graduated.

Joined the Army after high school and really figured out how to be "one of the dudes."

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
I was bullied hard through most of highschool and I never understood where it came from. Like, complete strangers would shove me in to lockers

I luckily had a fairly large circle of friends, though, that spread throughout many different cliques, even a couple of the "cool kids" I was secret friends with outside of school.

My final year of highschool I switched to be in the same as my girlfriend and a couple of good friends. My friends were on a different schedule than me where we had completely different break times so we never saw each other and my girlfriend dropped out a few months in. Her circle of friends were all jerks who didn't like me and they constantly tried to get her to break up with me so once I had no obligations to spend time with them, I stopped.

This school had pretty much no bullying of anyone, but everyone was also incredibly clicky. That left me with pretty much zero friends for the remainder of the year so I just smoked by myself and made niceities with the other smokers but we didn't hang out more than that.

Somehow, this was kind of worse than having friends but being constantly bullied?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i got voted "best penis" in my graduating class

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

PokeJoe posted:

i got voted "best penis" in my graduating class

pics or it didn't happen

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

wow this guy wants to see a high schooler's penis. mods????

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

PokeJoe posted:

wow this guy wants to see a high schooler's penis. mods????

I saw a hichshoolers penis like 20 years ago. wasn't impressed

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
22 years ago if im being real

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I don’t remember anything of middle school because I was relentlessly and ruthlessly bullied almost every day I was there. I don’t even remember cliques existing that early, but I wouldn’t have been in one, anyway.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

We weren't a clique so much as a fairly heterogeneous group of people who liked to get drunk, smoke a lot of pot, do a lot of drugs, and be generally irresponsible. Surprisingly few of us have died over the years.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

We weren't a clique so much as a fairly heterogeneous group of people who liked to get drunk, smoke a lot of pot, do a lot of drugs, and be generally irresponsible. Surprisingly few of us have died over the years.

I did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Travis? That you?