Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Idk op I got a $30k promotion with a wfh job pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Wendigee posted:

Ughh don't be the guy that wants to small talk during the daily standup I got poo poo to do I don't care what your 30 year old daughters weekend was like

*notes "wendigee not leadership material, do NOT promote" and circles it three times and underlines it*

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Bad Purchase posted:

it might be different at smaller companies dominated by the whims of mercurial bosses, but in large corporations promotions and raises are entirely vibes based. performance matters, but only so far as it leads to good feedback from you peers and management. that means you have to please management by making them look good, and generally for your peers i find it's easy to please them by proactively helping them when they're stuck or overloaded, even letting your own work fall behind sometimes to accommodate them.

middle management at every large corporations is dominated by incompetent self-interested people trying to climb the ladder while contributing nothing except the occasional bark in the 6 daily meetings they put on the team calendar, like "awesome sauce", "happy hump day", and "let's be part of the message, not the mess". the way to please them is to never come to them with problems that you haven't already solved. they will enjoy the illusion of shared success and the reinforcement of the reality bubble they make their home. sometimes you'll find competent managers, in which case you can work with them in a more honest manner, but the bad news is that you might actually need to be good at your job to succeed, so fair warning op.

but performance is not actually needed for advancement the majority of the time, which should be self-evident simply by looking at corporate pyramid which is top heavy with some of the most foolish people you'll ever meet. the reason is that corporate culture is metric obsessed and measures so many different aspects of job performance at so many different levels that nobody in management really understands what they're looking at when they "pull the metrics". and so they will immediately begin to manipulate and cherry pick things from the metrics based on the vibes-based narrative they already believe to be true, or flat out ignore them as wrong or misleading rather than change their opinions when presented with cold hard facts about their team.

i was a bit worried when i told my boss and boss's boss a loud and clear "No, never again" when the company did the return to work thing a couple years ago, but so far it has not mattered. everything above still holds true, and i've gotten not earth-shattering, but still decent raises since (~5% each year for the past two years, plus a 3 year vesting stock bonus that is pretty uncommon at my company) which is the same or better than the peers i've talked to who are back in the office. i am not currently angling for promotion because the levels above my current one come with strings i don't want attached, but i do not think WFH would hold me back at all if i pushed for it, because i've spent long enough cultivating vibes and mythology about myself that it would be tantamount to corporate heresy for a manager to give me a bad review at this point.

This right here, people pay tens of thousands of dollars to have career advice that isn't as good as this, and this is succinct.

e- I will also add another path that is possible is doing good work for a good boss who already has the vibes/mythology built up and show yourself competent and able to communicate. If they aren't a POS their good performance reviews and how they talk about you with other people when those people are considering for internal roles, can really juice you up past what you could have done on your own in the same timeframe. If they are a decent person and want to see good people succeed and not just hog good people for their own department. But those opportunities are pretty rare.

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 3, 2024

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
You dont get promoted because you do what you are already doing very very well. You get to keep your current job because you do what you are doing very very well, maybe with a cost of living adjustment and profit sharing if youre lucky.

You do get promoted because of vibes, as mentioned before, plus the company has to actually want you to do more. If there is not funding for a new senior/executive whatever, and there is not an open job that needs doing at that level, it would be really really weird for a company to promote somebody to do a job it does not need done.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Okay here is a step by step plan for doing this OP.

1. Find the funniest post on these comedy forums
2. During your next call with your boss read that post to him
3. Enjoy your new senior position with a 30% salary increase, bonuses and extra pto

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Ah yea also this was said before too but again: do not ever present a problem to management and ask them to solve it for you.

Present a problem to management along with several possible solutions ranked by cost and effectiveness. The goal being to get them to point to a solution youve already identified and say “do that one.”

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Next webex meeting bring the laptop and your biggest fart into the shower. Unmute, drop trou, spread your cheeks and fart against the wall of the shower.

Whether the camera is on/off is up to you.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

bradzilla posted:

Idk op I got a $30k promotion with a wfh job pretty easily.

:worship:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I can't actually imagine OP having a job where they would ever need to consider "promotions" or "future viability" if I'm honest. I kind of figured it was posting bad threads and their Professional Twitch Stream.

How would a streamer even ask for a promotion? Who would they ask? I guess the real promotion is they get to stop streaming.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
you start the streamer company and the streamers work for you

or you stream presentations on how to stream

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

You start a steamer company and leave steamers on the hoods of cars

After word of mouth gets out bout the quality of your work youll have to start hiring on people to leave enough steamers but thatll be the hard part - expanding the business without compromising quality

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
don't know, don't care

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dee eight posted:

don't know, don't care

Did you work the promotion line at the old logging mill?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

redshirt posted:

Did you work the promotion line at the old logging mill?

they had a bid system based solely on seniority

it took me a long drat time to score one of the gravy train gigs (grader/operator) but once i was there i camped out

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dee eight posted:

they had a bid system based solely on seniority

it took me a long drat time to score one of the gravy train gigs (grader/operator) but once i was there i camped out

How long did you work at that same place? How many promotions the whole time?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I work from work myself. But honestly op if you bring your own computer to the WFH situation it works

Maybe I can pull a score on your Xbox one and you can self find a PC

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

redshirt posted:

How long did you work at that same place? How many promotions the whole time?

30 years and no promotions, just better or worse lateral moves

there was a forming line operator that got offered a foreman position and said lol no gently caress you it took me 20 years to get into the cozy spot and i am not leaving it

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Increasingly depraved acts posted to OnlyFans.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

dee eight posted:

30 years and no promotions, just better or worse lateral moves

there was a forming line operator that got offered a foreman position and said lol no gently caress you it took me 20 years to get into the cozy spot and i am not leaving it

Yea op like what does “advance your career “ even mean?

Get paid more to do the same poo poo you already do? Do different poo poo entirely and also paid more? Be a boss? Be a bosses boss? Be the old grump that knows how poo poo works but doesnt give a rats rear end anymore?

Some of those options only become possible when youve been there 20 years and everyone else who knew how to do that left or died.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

fresh_cheese posted:

Yea op like what does “advance your career “ even mean?

🅾️🅱️ thinks apple goggles are the be-all end-all future tech

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
In the before times, WFH was death for career advancement. If you don’t get face time with other managers and your director then you’re not going anywhere.

In the new world whether it is or isn’t depends on company culture and what you do.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Same as in the office OP. Blowjobs.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Thinking to cop promotion while petting cat and learning jujitsu and "working"

Lol lmao

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Now for the effort post: how do you get promoted, and how is that affected by wfh?

You get promoted by
1. Already performing at the next level in your career
2. Making sure the relevant people see you doing this

If you’re just starting, this is easy. Tell your immediate boss what you’re doing, how you’re doing it, what you’ve learned, etc. They should recognize your status and bump you up as necessary.
If you’re farther in your career, this means expanding the scope of the impact of your work. Instead of just working in your group, you work with other groups. Or other divisions. You make decisions or take actions that affect bigger projects and more people. You materially affect how much money the company is earning or how work gets done. You do this without being explicitly told to do it. And as you’re doing this, you’re continually doing what you need to do to make sure your bosses, and the other managers, and everyone else along the line sees you doing it and knows you’re in there.

So, wfh? In some companies this is as easy as if you were on site. In others this is impossible. And it depends on your communication skills. Just like talking people up in person, you can talk to them over email and slack and zoom, and in meetings. You don’t have to kiss rear end, but you do have to give them the impression that you’re valuable and you’re helping their group or the company meet its goals. This may actually be easier if you’re not great at in-person meetings.

Your biggest problem is that there are people who are coming into the office that may also be angling for promotion. Depending on the types of managers they are working, this may be an advantage for them. On the other hand, if you’re not as good at social stuff as they are, this may be a boost for you

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

During my "hungry" days, I'd actively try and make my job obsolete. By making other processes more efficient, of course.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022

Maudib Arakkis posted:

This is gonna give the air a few whiffs. If you can “work” from home your job is fake and you should be retrained to contribute something useful. Mad?

I'm thinking maybe your question wasn't sincere at all, OP...

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

kill ur boss

wear his skin

gently caress his wife

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I draw a dumb or stupidly complex picture on every project so people will remember me.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

One word...teledildonics.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Make an ai-generated sexy lady and pretend it’s you, get hired with it, make all your coworkers think you’re a sexy woman, talk suggestively to your bosses, send them nudes, threaten to send their wives a copy of your conversations if they don’t give you a promotion.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

The Management posted:

Make an ai-generated sexy lady and pretend it’s you, get hired with it, make all your coworkers think you’re a sexy woman, talk suggestively to your bosses, send them nudes, threaten to send their wives a copy of your conversations if they don’t give you a promotion.

this worked for me

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

🅾️🅱️ how are your apple powergoggles helping u get a raise

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

redshirt posted:

Jedi Mind Powers OP. They work great remotely.

yeah be a fuckin wizard

curse your boss so their reproductive organs shrivel until they pay up hard cash

if you're not blackmailing your boss you're losing out

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Management posted:

plausible fallback

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Justin Credible posted:

This right here, people pay tens of thousands of dollars to have career advice that isn't as good as this, and this is succinct.
Seconded.

This is incredible not only for advancement but successfully navigating the corporate world.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
My partner works computas for a big bank, and was considered "permanent work from home" but now they have some new idea about "hubs" and since we live by a hub they are talking 3 days a week in office.

No one on her team is in the state, so she will trade zoom calls in her quiet home studio with zoom calls from a cubicle office full of irrelevant chatter?

Me and my buddy think this is their brain trust trying to get people to quit without laying them off.

death to the fuckin business man

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

The Management posted:

Powerful name/post combo

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I meticulously document an HR incantation containing all the proof and metrics HR demands for a promotion which is used to summon them contained in circle of salt at which point I can invoke their true name and bind them to a promotion workflow on Workday.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
"meticulously document" triggered something that I find easier to do when WFH: Log what you do.

It doesn't need to be "meticulous" but broad strokes journaling of what you did organized daily. One line bullet items such as:
  • A ticket link and status ("Completed"/"Worked on"/etc)
  • "Helped so-and-so with this task"
  • "Did that other task"
If you ask me what I did last week without my log, I will draw a blank. With my log, I can look at those shorthands and fill in details.

I've never done this in my thirty year career until four years ago. I was always extraordinarily lucky with having good management who recognized what I did. And then I didn't. I pre-emptively started doing it because of that. It was a bit of a struggle at first, but the first time I was called out and being able to immediately cite "No, actually what happened was..."

It also absolutely killer for end of year review processes that begin with "employee starts the draft".

It seems like it can translate to supporting cases for advancement as well.

I don't share what I do with my employer because it's not of their business. As for making it work, in my WFH workflow, I have three monitors connected to my personal laptop. I RDP two of those for my work laptop and leave the third visible for personal apps like OneNote for doing my logging. I'm not sure how I'd do it if I were in the office to maintain that same separation except use my phone or an actual notepad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Then the HR lich laughs and says “you think these incantations give you power? Lol. Lmao. No. You forgot about Relative Contribution. Vp Timmy’s nephew did a bang up job on the department web site and is going to get the nod for senior director, not you. Loooooooooool!”