Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

skeleton warrior posted:

I took God-King, made stonecutters cheaper, and then every time I incorporated a vassal, I found that literally every flat square that wasn't a special resource had a stonecutter on it. Like 9 stonecutters per city. Guess how many quarries they had?

That's my main theory for why the AI sucks at building middens to combat sanitation. It builds whatever's the cheapest that'll do -something- positive for it, and middens are 32 points.

E:

Or it builds whatever's the most expensive it can afford, and 32 improvement points is just too much for it to scrape together in one turn for most of the game.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

They were all way too busy covering up the electric car, that's where the engineering xp comes from

How much does it cost to make Steve Guttenberg a star?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
There's a new devblog out about upcoming changes and also an opt-in beta patch with some stuff I know people have been wanting, like destroying captured cities or skipping the combat viewer.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Bremen posted:

There's a new devblog out about upcoming changes and also an opt-in beta patch with some stuff I know people have been wanting, like destroying captured cities or skipping the combat viewer.

Lots of good stuff in there and coming. Combat animation skipping. More domain XP for advanced building. Force march and reinforcement change, etc.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I like the innovation buildings being more interesting/interactive. potentially hella powerful... colossus scaling with # of docks... thats a lot of Warfare

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Vassal razing yesssss

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

Increased Wealth value of Shells from 3 to 6.
understated buff to seafarers

utility boats are 2 upkeep so shells were kind of marginal in and of themselves, providing a net of 1 wealth. with this change its a net of 4 wealth. seafarers going to make a metric gently caress ton of income with this change for a relatively modest amount of exploration xp

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
And to be honest, Seafarers already felt like it was outputting decent money before, so now it's just crazy!

Haven't gotten to play a lot recently, might postpone it until all the changes come out if they're not too far away, but then again most of the games I'm playing seem to be in the middle of an update spree.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Local Reforms going from 50% for 5 turns to 25% for 8 turns is quite the nerf, gonna be interested to see how that affects early game builds.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I’m a bit confused, do domestic import slots exist? I set one of my cities to export lumber to my capital and while it’s showing that lumber is being consumed for export I’m not seeing any extra lumber in my capital. Does it just take a turn?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I’m a bit confused, do domestic import slots exist? I set one of my cities to export lumber to my capital and while it’s showing that lumber is being consumed for export I’m not seeing any extra lumber in my capital. Does it just take a turn?

There are no individual import slots. As long as the city is in the list of locations to export to, you can export any number of goods to it. They might take a turn to show up, not sure.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Is the lumber in the capital being immediately consumed for paper or timber?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

quote:

You can no longer Bribe Aliens.
:negative:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

"Your 'Earth Currency' is no longer welcome here!"

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

What's the usual spacing for your cities? is 6 hexes like in civ 5/6 usually enough? i originally built my cities so theyd get the automatic roads but now they're running out of space

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
It depends a bit for me. You control the direction a city expands in by the placement of its towns, so if I can run their expansions either parallel or in different directions I might place them closer than normal. Some terrains like deserts, forests and mountains (except in Age of Aether) are slower to expand into as well so those affect how quickly regions get in each other's way and how many regions you need to occupy most of the map. I tend towards having mine spread out fairly far apart unless I'm boxed in by the AI, though I can't say I have a hard rule on how far apart I keep them. The AI usually throws a wrench in that anyway with how aggressively they settle close to you, thankfully that's going to be a lot less of a pain once the patch comes out and we can raze them.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So some enterprising person on the official discord has made mods to select any age advancement and to destroy settlements you control.

I toyed around with the age advancement one and you can get some wacky stuff but you can also miss out on a lot of expected improvement tier ups and personally crippled any chance of making a mining based production region in my run.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Canopus250 posted:

So some enterprising person on the official discord has made mods to select any age advancement and to destroy settlements you control.

I toyed around with the age advancement one and you can get some wacky stuff but you can also miss out on a lot of expected improvement tier ups and personally crippled any chance of making a mining based production region in my run.

I think that’s the biggest issue with back to back variant ages. Techs and unlocks assume it won’t happen, so you’ll have some gaps that need fixed.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Mining and militia were the only real spots I noticed it, but being able to just pick up 4 or 5 tools from external trade made up for the production shortcomings.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

When attacking barb camps in the early game, during that half second warcry or whatever as the combat screen loads, does anyone else hear Status Quo's Whatever You Want?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I beat a barb outpost pretty early and got the option to take a cannon way before it should’ve unlocked at the cost of 20 chaos.

Which is really nothing compared to the chaos I generated with the thing.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Update now live for people off the beta branch:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1268590/view/4208126261069120016

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I was pretty impressed by the breadth of changes in the beta.

The most hilarious was finding out the x3 forest defense buff for Naturalists now applies to all pre-gunpowder units, making them virtually invulnerable on the defense. Welcome to Nam, fools!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I'm disappointed they didn't change a single thing during the actual beta. These are all the same changes we had a week ago.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

THE BAR posted:

I'm disappointed they didn't change a single thing during the actual beta. These are all the same changes we had a week ago.

I mean the Beta is just to make sure none of the changes totally break anything. I wouldn’t expect big changes from Beta to release unless something had gone wrong.

Fun thing I found out: chaos can go infinitely negative. I took propaganda early on and then didn’t really do any chaos related things for a while and got it down to like -900, so when I did a blitz war and started making 150 chaos per turn it took a few turns for it to catch up with me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

quote:

Reworked City, Outpost, and Town placement formulas used by the AI. AI players are better at spacing out their Capital Cities and are less likely to place Capitals or Outposts close to the borders of other Nations if other quality spots are available. At higher difficulties and with the less friendly AI personalities, the AI will still place close to another Nation’s borders.

I hope this means i wont find a enemy city right outside my capital and then the rest of their cities 2 screens away anymore.

Hopefully in a future update they'll deal with AI aggressiveness. I keep failing games in age of bronze because i cannot afford to build the dozens of military units i need just to avoid being wiped off the map by barbarians.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I finally got the game

BOY DO I SUCK AT IT!

I have managed to get a good run going thanks to some luck with landmarks and having a doomstack of heroes in age three

I also uh... almost put myself into the religion crisis age. managed to pull out at 19/20 charge

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

I also uh... almost put myself into the religion crisis age. managed to pull out at 19/20 charge

You don't have to fear crisis ages, unless they go against your current strategy. The Age of Intolerance is actually kinda neat if you're religious, because you gain access to Holy Avenger cavalry, which deals double damage to anything not following your religion. It's a huge shot in the arm and can really surprise an opponent.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

THE BAR posted:

You don't have to fear crisis ages, unless they go against your current strategy. The Age of Intolerance is actually kinda neat if you're religious, because you gain access to Holy Avenger cavalry, which deals double damage to anything not following your religion. It's a huge shot in the arm and can really surprise an opponent.

I wanted the age of discovery, I had gone hard into exploration

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Yeah that'd be preferable, probably.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Sweet gently caress I reached the other continent on my map and it's just a barbarian mosh pit. The ai's over here must have been dunked on. It's like nobody even explored anything, its still full of goody huts.

Its probably my fault? I got the "Last barbarian warlord" event and having a decent defensive base decided to just let it happen to me.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 24, 2024

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A chaos event where the downside is "everybody gets hosed up" sounds like you should absolutely pick it every time.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Jabor posted:

A chaos event where the downside is "everybody gets hosed up" sounds like you should absolutely pick it every time.

It's comical how Chaos either costs you 6 improvement points or spawns armageddon.

E:

Oh no, bread, the worst food, is even worse for 5 turns out of a potential 500.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jabor posted:

Relatedly, Age of Revolutions spawns rebels everywhere (regions, vassals, even outposts) 8 turns after it's reached. I think they count as barbarians for AI bonuses, so Master AIs seeme to shrug it off (even though I think some were two eras behind), but on normal it might do a lot of damage. Also gives you a whole bunch of warfare exp.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Jabor posted:

The AI tends to build way more armies than players and is not generally very bothered by random barbarians spawning in next to their cities. Especially at higher levels when they get massive bonuses against barbarians.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Not sure why they did badly, maybe the terrain over there was not good for them to develop before things got absolutely filled with barbarians? They are all stuck in deep woods or desert.

Also I found a very nice location for my seafaring build.

I have jammed the entire population into shells at 18 money a pop, and there are still more to exploit.

Don't know if thats a wise choice but I have money to burn right now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What is the best way to increase wealth early on? And I mean early on, like age of bronze, just coming out of the age of stone. As i said earlier, i cannot afford the armies I need to keep the barbarians at bay and expand unless i get real lucky with resource spawn at my homeland.

Everything i can find online is "make more cities near resources that generate wealth". Okay yea, but that doesn't help because i can't get a settler to a location because it has to run a gauntlet of barbarians between the homeland and the location I want to settle and the units guarding it don't survive long enough to get them there.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Docks give 2 wealth (plus explo XP) and can be built on any water tile next to land. That's the same as the common plantation resources, doesn't require any research beyond the age-up, and "any water at all" should not be difficult to find.

e: Once you're mid-age though, you'll want to find some of the land-based resources to start building production chains. The weaver chain gives you 12 wealth for 3 workers, so already twice as efficient as docks even before accounting for the extra food, the press gives you 6 wealth for 3 but an absolute ton of food so you can focus everything else on hammers and shovels, etc.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 25, 2024

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
IMO a lot of early plantation resources suck to work and are only worth it once you get the first set of agriculture upgrades so they're giving 2 resources instead of one. Working a slot for 2 gold is dogshit but 4 gold + food is much more palatable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think they're "worthwhile" once you have the chain up - assuming you need the wealth. (Wealth has the problem that getting more than your army maintenance doesn't really help you - until you're at the point where you're generating so much that you can actually spend it on rushing, at which point it becomes absurdly good. You're not getting to that point in the bronze age though.)

Pastures for wool or hunting camps for bone are where you really want to be early, since they give competitive amounts of food in addition to that trickle of wealth for sustaining your army - but if you literally need just a bit more coin to afford army maintenance, the docks are right there.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 25, 2024