Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’d be a great spin and somewhat realistic if the Raider spirit would come with some sort of a big disadvantage in later ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
How do I see what's generating chaos? I don't get it. Unrest is 0 and needs met in all cities, but I'm generating 18 chaos per turn?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Did you attack a city somewhere? Taking over cities by force generates Chaos (I think 20-ish, but could be less earlier) that lasts until the event pops.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Jossar posted:

Did you attack a city somewhere? Taking over cities by force generates Chaos (I think 20-ish, but could be less earlier) that lasts until the event pops.

I think that's just a one off addition of 20 chaos to your total though. I'm talking about generating chaos per turn. Maybe you generate some chaos just from being in a war of being hostile, I just wish there was a breakdown of the causes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I feel like just being in a crisis age automatically adds chaos, I'm not sure

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

fuf posted:

I think that's just a one off addition of 20 chaos to your total though. I'm talking about generating chaos per turn. Maybe you generate some chaos just from being in a war of being hostile, I just wish there was a breakdown of the causes.

There's no such thing as a one off addition of chaos. All sources of chaos or inspiration are permanent increases to the amount you gain per turn, until you have an event that reduces the meter.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Gadzuko posted:

There's no such thing as a one off addition of chaos. All sources of chaos or inspiration are permanent increases to the amount you gain per turn, until you have an event that reduces the meter.

Ahh ok, that makes sense

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Chaos has seemed pretty insignificant, at least early. Just save up a few hundred coins and pay off the event if it looks nasty.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Eschatos posted:

Chaos has seemed pretty insignificant, at least early. Just save up a few hundred coins and pay off the event if it looks nasty.

Sometimes even if it sounds nasty it actually isn't. I got a chaos event that caused a knight and a pike to spawn outside each one of my cities but most of them just suicided into my town militia individually. The ones that didn't ended up fighting the opposing armies that were trying to invade so it was a net gain :shrug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is there a way to change your goverment that's not violent revolution? I found when I did that, its when my civ started to go downhill.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

If you complete the dynastic tree, it opens the peaceful revolution option. I recon other trees do that too. I think the idea is you evolve to a new government by completing a tree or you bail out and thus have to pay the bloody rev tax.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Is there a way to change your goverment that's not violent revolution? I found when I did that, its when my civ started to go downhill.

Once you complete the last perk in your government tree, you can do peaceful revolution with your culture power. Very good since you can save up a whole bunch of government exp before you reform the government so can immediately get some perks from the next government tree instead of running empty.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is the Olympian spirit any good? Seems very dependent on getting lots of Envoys and having other nations close by; thing is, I like to play larger maps, and in this early game barbs are freakin' everywhere. That lategame 300 Wealth and 30 Knowledge though, drat!

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 29, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

CommissarMega posted:

Is the Olympian spirit any good? Seems very dependent on getting lots of Envoys and having other nations close by; thing is, I like to play larger maps, and in this early game barbs are freakin' everywhere. That lategame 300 Wealth and 30 Knowledge though, drat!

It lets you convert your culture power into a lot of domain xp (and knowledge/wealth with the perks). I'd say it's probably best for going tall since you're likely to have more culture available but not a ton of domain xp. I haven't played much with it, though.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 29, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

olympian is definitely the most niche age 2 spirit. even when i played Rome (disounted envoys) i ultimately didnt take it because it was too hard to access other civs

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The biggest issue is that playing nice with people doesn't really work. The treatise system, where you both gain some kind of resource after paying an exorbitant amount of diplomacy, doesn't work as of this patch. Both players get a big, nice zero added to whatever resource you're making a treatise for.

The AI is also very unwilling to make friends on harder difficulties, so you really do need the extra 10 movement to your envoys from the Olympian spirit, just so they can sneak past all the AI units and set up shop in its city.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Dunno, I was making a ton of gold from treatises in the last game that I posted. Maybe International Finance overrode the bug? That run also made me more understanding as to why Chaos events draining gold can be annoying - even if you don't use gold that frequently in the early game, there's still a lot of value in rushing Culture out a turn early or banking up to save on a really annoying build.

I think what my runs have taught me is that you can make friends, but you need to beat up somebody else first (or at least build up a big army) to show that you're not an easy target. Then the early-game stomping tends to calm down and settle into a more "diplomatic" situation unless you're locked into a forever war by bad luck. But as THE BAR said, might not apply on Master or higher. I hear on Grandmaster the AI gets REALLY aggressive.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 29, 2024

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

olympian is definitely the most niche age 2 spirit. even when i played Rome (disounted envoys) i ultimately didnt take it because it was too hard to access other civs

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Either I nursemaid Envoys across a Huge map (which I admit is my fault), or I never really unlock Olympians' potential. Anyone have a suggestion for a better first Age 2 Spirit?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It took me very long to understand properly how the outpost and town system works and how to make the best of it. It’s a bit complicated, but not impossible.

I’m also just understanding to resource juggling system and realized how I was massively overfeeding my cities - plopping down an improvement on every deer and fish you see is only necessary in the beginning, and even then you need pops to work it. This is the Civ way, but other improvements quickly outperform the camps - a plantation gives +6 food on top of the resource. That camp plot can often be better used for a factory, housing or midden.

Huge map feels properly huge! I love how unlike in Civ, the terrain is such a hindrance here.

Gonna put it on my Deck next, apparently it plays well there just in tine for my holidays.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 29, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Either I nursemaid Envoys across a Huge map (which I admit is my fault), or I never really unlock Olympians' potential. Anyone have a suggestion for a better first Age 2 Spirit?

Kinda hard to say without at least cursory knowledge of what your area looks like. Any chance we can get a screenshot?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Here's my thoughts on the Age 2 ones:

Ancient Seafarers: Improved coastal improvements (fishing boats and harbors), and cheaper utility boats means you can have a dozen or more of them instead of just a few without this spirit. Obviously, you take it if you have a lot of coastline and a lot of fish resources visible.
Naturalists: The nominal bonus is better unimproved tile yields, which I dislike; you shouldn't be working unimproved tiles if you can help it, and that will fall off steeply in the mid to late game as tech improves. It does give extra housing and food from housing improvements so it's not like there's no bonus lategame, but this feels like a spirit that falls off fast.
Wild Hunters: Lets you produce improved archers that can harvest wild animal tiles for you, and greatly improves the yield from animal resources (+food and +improvement points). Downside is the bow hunters cost production and I never have enough production early game, so they're harder to spam than utility ships. And of course they use land instead of water, which can be tight later game as cities need room. Good if you have lots of scrubland and deer/sheep/cows/etc resources.
Raiders: Currently considered the OP spirit, at least for early war. +warfare xp on fights and letting you spawn massive amounts of units with warfare xp is a broken combo, and the +xp will be useful through the game so it doesn't even fall off completely. If you're planning on invading someone, you take this one.
Warriors: A more defensive war option. I guess if you think you're going to get attacked it would be a good choice, and some of the defense bonuses are lasting I guess, but this one just feels kind of like you'd only take it if you're desperate to survive an attack.
God-King: Bonuses to stone based production chains, gives a free stone (+2 production) in every city, and the pyramid improvement which is kind of nice. Good if you have a fair number of hills and stone type resources in your starting area.
Mound Builders: Gain the burial mound improvement on grasslands which can produce a lot of culture and also some sanitation, but you probably won't need sanitation when you first get the spirit. The big bonus is permanently halving all food requirements, though, which will make food almost a non-issue (but doesn't help with the other needs). Good if you have lots of grassland, particularly any large patches so you can have a bunch of burial mounds around a town and use the custom town specialization.
Olympians: See discussion above. Also gives a permanent +10% defense to line units which is a minor but nice game-long bonus. Good if you're going tall and want to try to be more diplomatic.

If you're feeling up to doing a lot of planning, it helps to consider what kind of XP you'll have excess as well. Pastures produce exploration xp, for instance, and if you don't have any coasts (so no utility boats) you'll likely end up without a lot to spend it on, so might want an exploration spirit. Similarly if I'm running a clay and brick economy I expect to have more engineering xp, so might consider one of those.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 30, 2024

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I am trying to figure out how Naturalists can even be useful. Maybe for a building wide strategy (how? you'll bottleneck government exp for a long time) where you build a massive amount of regions and you cannot keep up with improvement point production. Only thing that looks good is cultural pt from working forest, but that's negated if you build wide. Exploration exp is also somewhat limited early on.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

pedro0930 posted:

I am trying to figure out how Naturalists can even be useful. Maybe for a building wide strategy (how? you'll bottleneck government exp for a long time) where you build a massive amount of regions and you cannot keep up with improvement point production. Only thing that looks good is cultural pt from working forest, but that's negated if you build wide. Exploration exp is also somewhat limited early on.

The expand fast into forests bonus could be useful, but yeah, overall it seems kind of lacking. Honestly I feel like maybe naturalists should be the one getting the half food needs bonus.

However, I disagree about exploration xp. It's one of the most common in the first few ages, and if you don't take an exploration spirit the uses of it are kind of limited; claim territory's cost goes up fast and spawn utility ship is only a thing if you have a coastal city and take shipbuilding.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I’m enjoying it, it’s very more-ish. There’s always something fun to be trying to get.

I really like the production chains in cities.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Quick Steam Deck report - game runs fine and the interface works on the OLED. Might be a tad small on the old Deck. No special control scheme, but the Deck control are ok.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pedro0930 posted:

the intent seems to be being good for wide builds, you can go hella wide and your cities will work Ok with minimal IP investment. you get significant food from unimproved tiles and some free housing points and other stuff. The forest parts are just kind of there, the warband buff in forests is especially dubious since it doesnt apply to spears. Should be like a +5 flat defense buff to line units in forests or something.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I finally got over my constant restarts and am up to turn 191, the age of enlightenment. I could have gone for age of harmony but I want to try mostly vanilla ages first. And honestly the more I play this game the more I love it as I learn all the intricacies of the mechanics.

Unfortunately I am running into performance issues. The game isn't unplayable but it's chugging, both on turn generation and just me panning the camera around, medium map. Admittedly my PC is no spring chicken but it seems a bit odd considering the relatively basic graphics. I might try it on my Steam Deck just to see if it's a hardware issue.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Barbarians are really the only issue I'm having with the game. Its just not fun to play the barbarian fighting sim for most of the first 2 ages. There's just so many spawning, and they only spawn as 1s so its just running your armies around playing wackamole trying to kill them

And its almost impossible to expand because you put your settler in an army, but the barbs just attack it and kill the settler from within the army.

I really don't understand why this aspect of the game is cranked up so high? Isn't the purpose of barbarians in these games so you just don't endlessly expand from the get go, needing to build an army to defend yourself?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

just kill the nearby barbarian towns (a full stack should do it, esp if its 2 warrior+1 archer) and it mostly sorts itself out. if you're on a big map with not a lot of civilizations, it could be a problem, i suppose. ime they get all but exterminated by age III.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

just kill the nearby barbarian towns (a full stack should do it, esp if its 2 warrior+1 archer) and it mostly sorts itself out. if you're on a big map with not a lot of civilizations, it could be a problem, i suppose. ime they get all but exterminated by age III.

They seem to pop up instantly after I destroy one. At the end of the stone age, I had 8 armies, and as soon as I hit the bronze age, 6 barbarian cheifs appeared at my capital. I had 2 armies left after that. They were not there before the age change, it just spawned them out of the blue.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

They seem to pop up instantly after I destroy one. At the end of the stone age, I had 8 armies, and as soon as I hit the bronze age, 6 barbarian cheifs appeared at my capital. I had 2 armies left after that. They were not there before the age change, it just spawned them out of the blue.

A few turns after the age of bronze starts barbarian warlords seem to spawn at each city. I'm not sure why but I've seen it happen enough I'm pretty sure it's scripted.

From what I've seen if you haven't taken the defenses tech, they can one turn a town, but your capital or a town + defenses tech can usually hold them off.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Is there any way to raze foreign cities, or are you only allowed to do that to neutrals?

The AI has put some annoyingly close to my cities, so I want to free up the space.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jabor posted:

Is there any way to raze foreign cities, or are you only allowed to do that to neutrals?

The AI has put some annoyingly close to my cities, so I want to free up the space.

Nope! Eat that Chaos and bad tiles.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hesitated on this because of the reviews but the impressions in this thread convinced me to give it a go, and well, I quite like it! The comparisons to Caveman2Cosmos are apt in certain respects, especially in trying to manage the many production chains and the feeling that there's a ton of fiddly levers you have to push and pull pretty finely in order to actually do anything. In particular I really like the domain system, you have a fairly simply abstraction of different facets of empire building that reminds me a lot of Monarch Power from EU4, but instead of giving you a hundred different things to spend those points on piecemeal that have incremental effects as in those flavor of GSG games, you instead have a narrow but powerful selection of options that can have game changing effects and also have real opportunity cost. And you don't just get all those options for free for playing the game, your range of options are determined by the given Age, your choice of National Ideal and your choice of Government (and maybe more? I still have a ways to go in my game). In that sense it also reminds me Old World where the actual mechanics of how you interact with your empire change drastically due to higher-order factors.

The improvement system is fine I guess. I quite like micromanaging workers but that may just be Civbrain etched into my very being. At the very least the abstraction is a straightforward one; improvement points are a dedicated resource that you spend on improvements you can put wherever. This is functionally the same resource as "worker turns" in Civ so it's all the same core loop: more IP means faster improvements, which means more food and production to get bigger cities and more stuff, which lets you build improvements faster and get more pop and etc. etc. I will say, that tiny little button on the corner of the screen is not ideal, nor is the button vomiting every available improvement in a basic menu with no organized UI whatsoever, a fact made even more confusing by the fact that clicking on terrain does give you an organized infographic menu that categorizes improvements and tells you specifically what you can build on that tile.

Combat is straightforward enough, which is fine by me. A combat which would definitely result in a kill being cut short because of morale loss is kind of irritating, but I get what they were going for there. Just get another stack to clean them up nbd. :hist101:

It's far too late to post more but I definitely don't regret my purchase, expected jankiness aside. I mean, I tried (and failed) to fully LP Caveman2Cosmos, there's no way anything in this game will be able to compare to the experience of queueing 37 buildings in Civ 4's hilariously cumbersome city queue to ensure that you get all those buildings without accidentally wasting gobs of overflow production :v:

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Bremen posted:

Mound Builders: Gain the burial mound improvement on grasslands which can produce a lot of culture and also some sanitation, but you probably won't need sanitation when you first get the spirit. The big bonus is permanently halving all food requirements, though, which will make food almost a non-issue (but doesn't help with the other needs). Good if you have lots of grassland, particularly any large patches so you can have a bunch of burial mounds around a town and use the custom town specialization.
The early sanitation from mounds synergizes incredibly well with stealing pops from minor cities. You can basically grow your capital into the teens one age earlier.

Bremen posted:

A few turns after the age of bronze starts barbarian warlords seem to spawn at each city. I'm not sure why but I've seen it happen enough I'm pretty sure it's scripted.
Nah, not scripted. That's just a crisis event that popped for one of the AIs.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 30, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Oh hey, SJM! Should have figured you would enjoy this game, given that you're the one who got me to try out C2C in the first place.

Anyways, last night's game is...

A guide to making the most of a bad situation? Sure, let's go with that.

I spent most of my early game getting bodied by Spain and the Ottomans. Wild Hunters is great for food, but unfortunately its other various bonuses don't really cohere into a neat and tidy whole unless they're otherwise paired with a bunch of good on-map resource/tile drops. Or maybe I was just unlucky in that this was sort of a hybrid Seafarers/Hunt spawn. I couldn't really think of a good pivot, so I decided to find religion, but didn't really expect that I'd be able to catapult myself to conquering the continent with Crusaders, so I went Theologians. On the one hand I couldn't really fight for good outpost spots, but with all the extra Culture I was able to keep spamming the Truce Diplomacy power to force stop all my enemies' wars until they got bored and left for more profitable prey.

So I had finally reached the point where I was left alone, but I had three core cities, a couple of outposts, and a single vassal I captured from the Ottomans. So it was time to go tall. Over the course of the rest of the playthrough this became a frankensteinian mash up of Science and Culture, going through Scholars and Pop Culture respectively to round these out. Using Culture to boost Science is kind of a wonky proposition as Eureka's science output falls off a cliff after using it about 2-3 times in an Age, even with Scholars, but if all you're trying to do is outrace the other players, that's all you need. Standard tall early game governments (Imperial Dynasty/Republic) apply, but Fundamentalist worked better to round out the build since I was the world leader in religion due to Spain adopting mine by default.

Transcend is usually the easiest of the "I need to win right now" endgame victory conditions, and honestly if I'd been going all in on it from the start I might have been able to do it (using a combination of Pop Culture Celebrity abilities and the final tier government for Religion's Cultural Power that lets you generate 50 of each XP), but this was such a ramshackle mess that I went for the saving grace of all hopeless runs - the AI Crisis Age. I initially thought that this would destroy all the other players who were still in Age VIII and let me win by default, but it turns out that there's a lot of things wonky about the in-game text (you need 30 Crisis Charge to lock in the Age, but you only get the message after 50, for instance) and it only destroys all the players from BEFORE Age VIII. Winning legitimately took a bit more effort, requiring a beeline to the victory Improvement and then having my vanguard cities hold out against the Rogue AI while I cannibalized all of my Improvements to make room for Brain Trusts and AI Personality Cores. Ten cores later and victory.

Lessons to be learned: I keep inadvertently forgetting that you have to assume the AI thinks you're a weakling and will try to bully you unless shown up. Otherwise, I dunno... don't focus so much on trying to maximize out the National Spirit that you miss the core production focus of the early to midgame? Eh, win's a win. Should probably at least try Master difficulty at some point soonish though. Felt a little too easy, even in this scenario to just force the Nation AI to leave me alone for the rest of the game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bremen posted:

From what I've seen if you haven't taken the defenses tech, they can one turn a town, but your capital or a town + defenses tech can usually hold them off.

Yea, it has to be similar to the barbarian invasions that happen after a bunch of turns have elapsed in civ. Its just really annoying because you're probably still dealing with the single barbarian armies running around.

I wish there was an option in setup to disable new camps from spawning in already explored land. There is no way to quickly expand in this game, and even then, as i mentioned earlier, there is no safe way to get a settler to where you want it to go. I think i need to stop playing on large maps, there's just too much empty space that the game seems to think needs to be filled with barbarians. Before i went to bed, my scout moved into one part of the fog of war, and every hex around them was a barbarian unit. Also, I hate when games do this, but barbarians do target your stuff over AI civs. There was a Aztec settler next to my army of 2 archers and 2 spears, and the barbarian went after my army rather than the undefended settler. That's just bad design. They should at least always prioritize the weaker target.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
If you start with a random empire bonus like increased influence or cheaper settlers is there a place you can find out what it is or …

Edit:
Thanks Invader Zym

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 30, 2024

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002

LordSloth posted:

If you start with a random empire bonus like increased influence or cheaper settlers is there a place you can find out what it is or …

Click on your own nation in the diplomacy menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How can i build a burial mound? Its not in any of the improvement menus or something you can build in a city.

And yes I tried googling it, and that just gives me a ton of info about the actual mound builders.