Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Rock Paper Shotgun has a pretty negative review up

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/millenia-review

TL;DR they’re not a big fan of the era system and how it often ended up out of their control.

There are a bunch of other objections, but I’ll take the review with a grain of salt and an objective memory of at launch Civilization games. I might end up agreeing with various points or I might just conclude the reviewer just had trouble adjusting to a new system in a limited review window.

I think it was worth a read but I’m not letting it sway my opinion- I’m leaning towards post-release coverage.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I'm still a bit optimistic about the game, tbh.

I read RPS often and subscribe to 3MA, but their tastes haven't always coincided with mine. (and I think I might be conflating them with two other podcasts)

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

If you start with a random empire bonus like increased influence or cheaper settlers is there a place you can find out what it is or …

Edit:
Thanks Invader Zym

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 30, 2024

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Started listening to the latest 3MA podcast on Millenia before I lost my patience with it.

Having only dabbled in the game so far, my take on the era system is a bit opposite of theirs. I’m more frustrated by my own ability to trigger an alternate age than by the AI’s. I’d personally prefer less ability to direct the next era altogether for everyone, rather than being able to plan for a particular variant age and succeed or become thwarted like Civilization’s Wonders.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Sybot posted:

Is there any reason to try and beat the AI to the next Age if you aren't aiming for a specific one? Domain XP and national spirits seem like a good way to specialize your nation, though I haven't gotten far enough to really see much yet.

While you do get bonus points for taking a national spirit no one else has, it increases in value for every spirit already taken. So there is a slight catchup mechanic, albeit tied into the gamble of whether that spirit is useful to you.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I’ve been experimenting with Naturalist, and while I’m not convinced it’s good, I’m a bit impressed by it.

That one innovation that gives you treehouses, plus the spirit that gives improved foraging can mean an awful lot of ‘free’ production. It’s kind of interesting skipping the workers tech and having nothing for your rear end in a top hat neighbor of Russia to raze when they declare war on you yet again.

I haven’t gotten to mid or later ages yet, but I’ll probably get further before restarting in my next game since I’m learning.

Is there something I’m missing or do I need to unlock the entire infopedia from scratch in each game? I would really love to be able to look at the spirits of the next age or so, or figure out what art could do for me in the grand scheme of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

It’s surprisingly tough to avoid, but iirc you can often bypass the battle animation by right-clicking on the icon. I still end up accidentally watching it frequently.