Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Antigravitas posted:

Gosh darn it to heck.
I dunno; I saw a few YT videos and they seemed to like it, and I certainly liked what I saw. The one thing I thought was a little iffy was that the first alternate Age, the Heroic Age, requires some RNG since it needs someone to find 3 unique landmarks, and AI players seemed to want to do boring stuff like advance to the Iron Age or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is the Olympian spirit any good? Seems very dependent on getting lots of Envoys and having other nations close by; thing is, I like to play larger maps, and in this early game barbs are freakin' everywhere. That lategame 300 Wealth and 30 Knowledge though, drat!

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 29, 2024

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

olympian is definitely the most niche age 2 spirit. even when i played Rome (disounted envoys) i ultimately didnt take it because it was too hard to access other civs

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Either I nursemaid Envoys across a Huge map (which I admit is my fault), or I never really unlock Olympians' potential. Anyone have a suggestion for a better first Age 2 Spirit?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If you want your capitals to expand quickly, would it be better to pick +Influence or Discounted Expansion costs for your custom nation?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there a mod or xml I can edit to make it so that we can chain variant ages?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

THE BAR posted:

You can't write possessive 's in your custom nation's name. This is mortifying's.

Ala's, the greengrocers' empire s'hall not reign's 'todays.

EDIT: Just entered the Age of Aether, and I have to say, the fact that it makes mountains actually useful, and VERY useful besides, might be the best reason for me to plan getting this in every game.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 1, 2024

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

babypolis posted:

The whole religion system seemed pretty halfassed to me, theres no religion bonuses or anything, as far as I could tell I was just making things harder on myself by creating a religion

While religions don't provide direct mechanical bonuses, having high levels of religion can skyrocket your Culture production. I find going Fundamentalism in the late game to be surprisingly powerful for tall empires.

babypolis posted:

Also I dont know if someone already mentioned this but on Age of Alchemy being bad without gold, I dont think you can actually just find gold in the map. You have to use a prospector using exploration xp and it will transform a hill tile into gold

There is gold present on the map, it just seems extremely rare. As does sugar, surprisingly enough. I've tried several maps, and in all of them I have buckets of olives and meat, but very little sugar. In my latest map, for example, every other city had at least 1-2 Olive resources, but as far as I could tell there were a grand total of 2 Sugar resources on the Huge map.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
...you can turn merchants into settlers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Super Jay Mann posted:

Castles with abbeys are a good way to get some needed faith if you really don't want to invest in the other buildings/supply chains and can spare the pioneers.

Honestly, considering how much effort it takes for your cities to run a single religious texts supply chain (2 citizens to harvest logs, 2 more to make paper, 1 to make the texts) having even just one outpost do all the work for you is much, much, much more practical.