Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Rice needs plantations, which I think are one age further along. If you build a farm on rice then it's just the same as building a farm on regular grassland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm only midway through my first game so far but honestly Raiders national spirit seemed just as busted as in the demo, absolutely trivial to poop out a 4-stack that can dunk on a warlord and have 40 move.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Is there any way to raze foreign cities, or are you only allowed to do that to neutrals?

The AI has put some annoyingly close to my cities, so I want to free up the space.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Eschatos posted:

What's the deal with domestic trade? I see it mentioned in the market tooltip as an alternative to foreign trade, but I have no idea what actually grants the capacity.

It's first unlocked in age 3, and then some buildings will give you domestic trade capacity. You get to send goods from one of your cities to another.

You can use it for sending finished production goods to a city where the production is needed (perhaps a newly-settled place?), or you could send finished food goods to a city where you need more growth, or you could send luxuries or other needs-meeting goods (like books or religious texts) around the place.

It's annoyingly fiddly to use though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Pretty much. If you're already at a chance of popping chaos events, any more chaos you generate is basically discounted by 70% - it's a good time to be conquering a bunch of cities.

Innovation is the opposite, where you want to steadily be getting a little bit to keep the innovation events ticking, rather than getting a whole dump all at once.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Using outposts (and the culture power that turns an outpost into a town instead of the one that plops a new town into play) can be a good way to fill those gaps early without having your cities crowd themselves out.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

babypolis posted:

Also I dont know if someone already mentioned this but on Age of Alchemy being bad without gold, I dont think you can actually just find gold in the map. You have to use a prospector using exploration xp and it will transform a hill tile into gold

I have seen native gold on the map, unless the AI is in the habit of burning prospectors on lovely tiles surrounded only by mountains and water.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So Raiders are even better now that you can turn a pittance of warfare xp into 0-upkeep unrest-reducing garrisons forever?

And then there's a bunch of nerfs to late-game stuff. Seems uninteresting overall.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zurai posted:

That wasn't angry, that was responding in kind as an emphasis for how dumb it was. Except I didn't call him a dipshit.

Starting an argument in two different threads to defend the honour of the videogame makes you look insanely argumentative to everyone else, FYI.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yeah, don't discount the bonus against militia. A full stack of raiders is a menace to an unguarded town even after raiders are obsolete, and can handle most cities before stone walls come into play. And you can have multiple stacks in addition to an actual production-built army if you plan on going conquering early.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
yo is it intended that the space "race" is something you bang out in 4 turns without any actual racing involved

i was expecting to have to invest a bunch of production or shovels or something into it, not a tiny pittance of wealth

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can just click the X right away instead of actually watching it. It still sucks though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A chaos event where the downside is "everybody gets hosed up" sounds like you should absolutely pick it every time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Docks give 2 wealth (plus explo XP) and can be built on any water tile next to land. That's the same as the common plantation resources, doesn't require any research beyond the age-up, and "any water at all" should not be difficult to find.

e: Once you're mid-age though, you'll want to find some of the land-based resources to start building production chains. The weaver chain gives you 12 wealth for 3 workers, so already twice as efficient as docks even before accounting for the extra food, the press gives you 6 wealth for 3 but an absolute ton of food so you can focus everything else on hammers and shovels, etc.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think they're "worthwhile" once you have the chain up - assuming you need the wealth. (Wealth has the problem that getting more than your army maintenance doesn't really help you - until you're at the point where you're generating so much that you can actually spend it on rushing, at which point it becomes absurdly good. You're not getting to that point in the bronze age though.)

Pastures for wool or hunting camps for bone are where you really want to be early, since they give competitive amounts of food in addition to that trickle of wealth for sustaining your army - but if you literally need just a bit more coin to afford army maintenance, the docks are right there.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 25, 2024