Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gonna get this based purely on how the team apparently took inspiration from fuckin Call to Power 1 and 2. God bless anyone who even remembers those strange gems of game history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Mainly because I have too many hours in Civ and want to try something new, at least for me.

Anyway, I'm trying to do a peaceful revolution from Tribalism into something else, and already have the reformed ideal. Can't find the button for a peaceful revolution tho, what's up with that

EDIT: NVM, peaceful revolution is a cultural reform, not a government reform.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm gonna restart but man, working out these resource chains and doing what was basically a powerful capital core + vassals build felt cool as gently caress.

I nearly sent myself into the Age of Blood by going hard on subjugating all my neighboring minor cities, but stopped just short of it. That said, I did get dragged into the Age of Plagues by an AI rival. In turn, you basically get an attention and improvement point tax, as whenever a plague is about to pop, the camera will go over an infected tile (stinklines and everything) and you can spend either 5 improvement points to stop it in time or 10 exploration points via your free plague doctor to do an AOE cleanse. I feel like players deffo might get annoyed by the AI getting their usual handicap cheats boosting into new tech eras but failing to accommodate the new needs and pressures of said eras and then spiraling into crisis ages.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Sounds like a memory leak.

Also FWIW, a lot of rigs can run Doom 2016 like butter because iD is still iD and they are always technical wizards, but I get the point.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Think I might pick it up next week when I get paid, even if its a bit jank right now, sounds like it will scratch the itch I've got. I tried playing Alpha Centuari the other day and I don't remember every other civ being hyper aggressive.

hello we are gaia's daughters, we love the planet!
We are Gaia's daughters, prepair to eat hot impact laser!!

lol, when the release came out on Steam I did the same thing and man, these dudes really are pricks. It didn't help that every neighbor I had was like, Svensgaard, Cha Dawn, the aliens, or good ole Sister Godwinson tho

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's certainly unpolished but I dunno about incomplete unless you count multiplayer, which I don't care about.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Specific map gen options, yeah. But there's still start options like player count, starting bonuses, and map size

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Humankind tried it and it was pretty bad, but then again that's because Amplitude has a bad eye for actually interesting synergies that aren't just "make more of the stuff you're already making so much of"

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
One thing PotatoMcWhiskey made me realize in his playthrough was that a unit harvesting resources from a tile, even within a city radius, essentially frees that citizen up to work another tile; so yeah, utility ships and the like are legit very powerful.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

fuf posted:

edit: is the "Warrior Elite" action in the Warriors national spirit bugged? It's meant to spawn two spartan units but it only spawns one.

Nah, can't be, works alright for me.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I feel like just being in a crisis age automatically adds chaos, I'm not sure

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
What are the formation rules, anyway? I assume keep as many melee/line units as you have ranged units in order to keep the backline protected? Cavalry always gets to flank?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Bremen posted:

Line units have high defense and are targeted first. This isn't numbers dependent, so if you have 4 ranged units and 1 line that line is going to take (almost) all of the attacks. The standard series of line units have a bonus against cavalry, but there are other types I've seen that have a bonus against other line units.

Leaders give a bonus to all other units in the stack, but are fragile without line units defending them. I don't know if they have any special targeting/bonuses other than the stack buffing.

Ranged units ignore target priority (can hit non line or wall units first). Most (all?) have a bonus against line units, which is sort of an anti-synergy, but does mean 50/50 line/ranged will absolutely demolish a full stack of line units.

Cavalry units always target the most damaged valid target but don't ignore target priority, so can't hit a ranged unit if there's an enemy line unit, even if the ranged unit is more damaged. They do bonus morale damage.

There's probably more to it than that but that's what I've seen so far.

Gotcha, TY. Rough rules from reading this is 1:1 ratio of line and ranged, odd numbers should be a leader or cavalry I guess.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, from what I understand, the first tier of leaders is extremely not worth it since they have Warband stats. Leader 2s last a fair bit longer, but also Leader 3s are more accessible than you think because the middle ages unlock crossbows, which upgrade to Leader 3s.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My understanding is that you can't go from Crisis Age to Crisis Age, right? Deliberately going for Age of Blood sounds like a decent counterplay to Plagues, NGL.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh sick, innovations can even unlock superior unit variants that'll outperform nearly everything in their tier until they reach obsoletion. I got a Hoplite unit innovation that had better stats than even Pikemen, a unit one Age above it.

Also another innovation gave all my line units a defense bonus vs. ranged, basically neutralizing their weakness. Game's fuckin cool, man.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gonna switch to small maps moving forward, there's just so much dead space on the standard medium map with 8 players. Really feeling the squeeze when cities start sprawling, especially since the AI does love to poo poo vassals everywhere. I can deal with forward settling, but if improvement and product chains are going to be a major thing, you need to let me make space, by the sword if necessary.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I got a +culture on hunting camps innovation with the wild hunters tree, and yeah, that poo poo is crazy good. Each camp gives you 5 food and a culture point so you're putting your buildings on grassland instead of scrubland this time, it's funny and powerful.

Also I appreciate the change of pace where I look at a swathe of desert or tundra and go, excellent, lots of space for industry while I keep the resource improvements in the good terrain

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I got age of alchemy and it's actually got a pretty cool niche: being able to convert gold, the map resource (which is surprisingly bad in early game until you unlock jeweler) into everything from food and sanitation to raw production.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The chaos meter deffo needs a breakdown. I'm sure there's always a baseline trickle of chaos that functions as a regular gold tax, but I'm sure being at war and conquering/razing cities do result in big chaos chunks.

The thing that I'm also unsure is a thing but it does feel like it is that getting a big chunk of chaos isn't just one amount: it's like, a 10 chaos hit will keep hitting you with 10 chaos every turn until you pop a chaos event. Same thing with innovation on the opposite end; they're like snowball effects that reset on event trigger.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the clarification, truly! Learning the pacing in re: to chaos events is pretty key, IMO: if my math is right, if you're going to do poo poo that creates chaos, it's probably best to do it all at once and have a reserve of gold to pay the events off.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finished my first game, colony ship victory at turn 332 against adepts. By the end I was running insane levels of production, pumping it all into the colony ship while the AI couldn't even play catch up in tech. Really big cities too, though I kinda gave up on optimizing them because holy moly it's a lot of work and math so I just played it simple and didn't even bother with trade routes.

Couple of things I concluded:

1) Production is king. Might be too powerful, if anything. Don't forget you can convert production into improvement stock from the start of the game, and that getting improvements up and running ASAP is probably better than whatever building choice you got at the moment.

2) Non-food agricultural resources feel like a trap early game, IMO. Gold is important, yes, but if you have openings for more growth and production, you should probably take those first and backfill the money makers instead. Scrapping improvements also returns a quarter of the spent improvement points so never feel afraid to rebuild your layouts.

3) Influence might actually be the secret top-tier resource, because grabbing as much land as possible without resorting to settlers and pioneers loving up your main cities' growth is extremely strong as you progress into the game. For this reason, I will be trying out God Kings next game.

4) Speaking of which, most nation ideas end up as a mixed bag. It's important to remember that you need a multiple of an idea's iconic units or improvement in order to take the final perk, and I'll be honest and say that a lot of these are not worth buying all the perks for. You kinda have to feel it out: for example, I think Moundmakers has middling bonuses associated with an improvement that needs the best terrain type in the early game, but it also has a top-tier perk that halves food requirements for the rest of the game, freeing up a lot of tiles for something else.

Not all of these aspects are obvious either; for example, Wild Hunters buffs meat sources big time, making them very good for scrubland-heavy starts and deer/cow/sheep bonuses. However, there's also an innovation that gives WH hunting camps +1 culture, which I took advantage of heavily in my game by dropping hunting camps everywhere for food sustain while also pumping my culture again to a disgusting degree, letting me spam as many abilities as I could.

5) Town adjacencies: yeah it's production >>> everything once again IMO. I try to put my towns by hills and forests as much as I can TBH, and food resources second.

6) Gold generation: it's required at a certain point but TBH you can do alright just by having citizens sitting in the T2 and onwards housing improvements. Don't take my words for gospel though.

When I can think of more I'll post them, but man I really fuckin love this game and what they're going for. I hope the devs are doing well with it!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
poo poo, I was just about to mention that. Thanks for doing the math because I spent a fair bit of my game figuring out what the optimal growth speed is, because at a certain point I kept putting citizens into middens and not realizing that just because I fulfilled that need to the extent of 200%, it wasn't actually giving me returns that were worth it until it was too late.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

Also somehow left out what I meant by thresholds, i.e. the growth rate is a constant dependent on certain ranges your needs fall on, so, for example, at average 200% it’s 25% but if it falls anywhere in-between 150% and 200% then it’s Iike 18.75% I think (not on my computer right now to check), and that value doesn’t go down again until it hits below 150%.

So basically you absolutely want to be at 200% needs on everything at all time, as even a tiny blip in one need will slow down your growth rate by more than you’d expect.

Would you say that once you hit a pop threshold that requires a new need you can't fulfill (which is very easy to do TBH), that's when you're probably way better off shifting pops off the growth mechanisms and into something else?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Fair enough, I guess, thank you! I suppose I should just eyeball that 4 turns per new pop as an ideal.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Age of Kings IMO is when you should start going for wealth; you get the treasury building (+10 gpt) and the feudalism tech gives you large plantations, which give double of their resource, so they're worth working over Public Quarters by that point.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
How do you guys space your cities? With only minor nations being able to be razed and the AI still very much willing to forward settle, spacing is important. I've noticed that filling out 2 hexes from your regional capitals and 1 hex from your attached towns is fairly quick; is 4 hexes between capitals a good rule of thumb? Cities certainly can handle more hexes than that but of course you need to account for opportunity cost and making sure the AI doesn't take too much of your land.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There's definitely native gold. That said, spamming prospectors + alchemy synergy is legit, considering that prospectors start off pretty cheap and exploration points fall off value quickly (yes claim territory is good but the cost increase gets crazy fast).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
First patch in 6 hours or so.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

THE BAR posted:

Did they release any notes?

Nah, nothing on their Discord. All I saw was that it's balance changes and bugfixes, but no big features yet,

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, figures that patch won't be changing much if it was a pre-release work. Oh well.

At least the dev diary kinda infers you'll be able to do something with vassal cities in the first real update. I'm presuming you'll get the event to either conquer them outright or do the raze and take two citizens thing that you can get with minor nations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hah, I managed to turn a Pangaea start -> Age of Heroes into a turn 210 religious victory. Turns out Age of Heroes gives you a lot of cultural and art producing buildings and improvements early (which makes sense thematically), and culture and art power feeds into religion. This meant I had the raw population lead to go into Age of Harmony without even going aggressive, and once I hit Age of Harmony I just went a-conquering and using culture/art power to rapidly spread my religion. I wasn't even planning on a religious win; I just learned all this on the fly. This level of synergy is way more impressive than Humankind reached, IMO; game's a lock in my GotY list and I sure hope they keep working on it.

Also, yeah, religion is very powerful and all the fuss needed to keep up with it makes sense. From a Mound Builders culture farm, I was still pulling a fifth of my total cultural income from owning a religion that was only dominant in my nation, and it only got better as I started to spread it around.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Does the endgame either having XCom happen or Skynet revolt derail the usual sleepwalking through the 4x endgame bc of snowballing? I’m in the middle of the age of plague rn and I gobbled up a neighbor that attacked me so I’m now 2x my closest competitor on the scoreboard and I’m afraid it’s going to be a civ type scenario where it quickly becomes an insurmountable lead

Yes but also if your lead is so dominating, you have the option to take earlier victory ages and close it out then and there. From where you are, you can't take Conquest (beat the piss out of everyone) since you're in a crisis age, but you can get Harmony in age 6 (religious dominance) or Generals in age 8 (become Problematic and out-military everyone)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I mean, I figured that's the point, more and more space for fulfilling specialized needs comes along with refinements to industry that minimize their logistical footprint.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
They're probably putting an option to disable it in the first real update

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'll say this for Millenia: over the years you got a lot of people going "gameplay over graphics" and so on, and for obvious reasons nowhere is this stronger than in the 4x/mapgamer contingent. Millenia is a real test of that adage; a game I would say looks worse than modern phone games

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, Logs never get past one per tile. It also so happens that logs -> lumber has the best production per citizen ratio for a long while since you can get the lumber camp upgrade around midgame which adds a flat 4 production to logging camps, along with a town specialization adding more production in a good cluster.

That said, I hate how unwieldy the books resource line is, though I guess it's only appropriate for the most important resource in the game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Atelier Studios are also part of a building chain and get obsoleted fairly quickly by Universities or something

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
IMO a lot of early plantation resources suck to work and are only worth it once you get the first set of agriculture upgrades so they're giving 2 resources instead of one. Working a slot for 2 gold is dogshit but 4 gold + food is much more palatable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I managed to swerve stupid loving warmongering France and beat them to Age of Monuments by literally one turn, finally (it's very tough timing and probably the hardest to achieve Variant Age in the game that's semi down to RNG). For those who've tried it, what's the best monument type for my cities? My assumption was either government monuments (lame domain power but 20% efficiency bonus to food, sanitation, and housing is nuts) or military/engineering monuments (20% to production, and production is king in this game)