Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

In my current game I had one of my starting warriors surrounded and killed by three barbarian units (and spotting two different barb camps) on turn 5. There should probably be a grace period before barbs spawn.

That said, I'm really enjoying it so far. That One More Turn feeling is absolutely there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Farms never, ever unlock special resources in Millennia. That's what Plantations are for.

Also, almost all the plantation resources just give extra money at the first stage and Plantations provide 1 less food than farms, so early on it's usually better to ignore them.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Barbarians definitely need some tuning. I don't think huge changes are needed, just a couple little tweaks. Delay barbarian spawns for maybe 7-10 turns after the start of the game to give you time to scout out a few hexes in each direction, then slightly reduce the overall spawn rate. I think those two combined would mostly solve things. If not, they'd at least give a good base for future adjustments. I don't think you want to make barbarians too scarce because that greatly decreases the value of civics like Khans or Explorers that make you neutral to barbs, and ages like Age of Aether that remove all barbarians from the map.

Some other observations from a mostly-complete game (I'm 51% of the way to an Archangel victory having wiped out two civs and am still the only one in the Age of Archangels, so it's pretty inevitable):

• If you play on an Islands map, you're NOT going to get either Age of Blood or Age of Heroes because there simply won't be the opportunity, which means avoiding an Age of Plague will take a heroic research effort on your part. I was the one who triggered Age of Iron in my game and did the three cheapest techs and I was still two or three turns behind Japan when it came to triggering the next Age.
  • I don't know if this was just my map seed or the way Islands is supposed to generate, but the map I played on had 8 large-ish islands (enough for 2-3 good cities) with one nation on each, and the islands were arranged in a ring around a slightly larger central island full of minor cities. Getting there first and vassalizing them all is part of what let me catapult past the AIs despite a pretty miserable age 4-5.
  • Don't bother with Age of Alchemists unless you have a bunch of gold nearby (or are willing to spend a bunch of exploration XP on prospectors to make your own). All the alchemy improvements require gold to work. There's useful stuff in there (one that turns two gold into sixteen food and sanitation--that's sixteen of each!--for example) but it's pretty useless if you don't have the gold to power it.
  • Age of Utopia is interesting, but I'm not sure I'll intentionally trigger it again. The underwater cities are extremely limited. They're soft capped at 10 size, they can only build a total of 4 buildings, they absolutely require your other cities to send them a bunch of goods to get anything done, and there's no guarantee you'll actually get good underwater resources near you. That said, you can have a single underwater city working two brain corals and two underwater biotech labs generating a total of 40(!) knowledge, plus using its special production conversion project to turn production into either more knowledge or innovation at a 10% rate.
  • I believe it's been mentioned before upthread, but Age of Archangels is kind of dumb. Even if you're literally the only civ in the AoA, nobody has any clue that you're the one firing the giant mega region-killer lasers. You can literally sign open borders with all the AIs and run around their territory with noncombatant units blowing up all their cities and, if anything, they actually get friendlier with you over time because they're losing big chunks of power and you aren't.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

What causes chaos? I suddenly am making 13 of it a turn but mousing over it doesn't explain anything about it.

Also its almost impossible to google anything for this game.

Jesus christ it jumped up to +16.

Check your cities to see if their unrest is high. That's the most common case of "why do I suddenly have chaos and why is it increasing?" that I've found. Unfortunately, there are no warning messages you get about rising unrest until it triggers a rebellion. There are signs (unexplained chaos increases, a tiny little icon under the city's name in the world map) but it's on you to check for it.

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, after having a modern war, this has the classic civ problem of tanks losing to spearmen because of game mechanics. Spearmen, or in this case, pikes, get bonuses against cav, and tanks are cav, so 6 modern armor ends up being wiped out by a bunch of guys with pointy sticks.

Tanks are Mobile units, but not cavalry. Pikes get no bonus against them. That said, you shouldn't be making armies that are entirely one type of unit because they're hideously vulnerable to their counter-unit.

Nektu posted:

Im pretty sure that I added abbeys to standard outposts in one of my last games.

Monasteries are the standard outpost improvements, buildable on hills. Abbeys are castle-only but buildable on any flat land.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 1, 2024

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Chaos and Innovation function in the same way. There is no such thing as gaining just one instance of Inno/Chaos. They're slippery slopes. Gaining +1 Chaos gives you +1 Chaos per turn. +10 Chaos is +10 Chaos per turn. However, whenever a Chaos or Innovation event fires, you lose 70% of your Innovation/Chaos growth. This means there's not much point to firing off the Propaganda culture power if your Chaos is higher than 10, but if it's 10 or less, you'll completely prevent all Chaos events until you gain more Chaos from something else (incidentally, Chaos growth can go negative via Propaganda).

The only things that cause Chaos are taking cities, events (all of which are clearly labeled), or unrest (which very much is not). There is no baseline trickle of Chaos. If you go the entire game without capturing a major nation's city (or razing a minor nation's city), selecting a chaos choice in an event, or gaining more than a little bit of unrest, you'll never see a Chaos event.

Innovation can be gained from a huge variety of sources, too many to list in totality, but the most common are the Cutting Edge culture power or being the first to research a new Age.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 1, 2024

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

THE BAR posted:

I'm currently doing a culture game for multiplayer with the mound builders, and you really only need the mounds themselves and the food halving thing. It's pretty fun to generate a culture power every two turns, forever, by feeding all your culture into your permanently 50% boosted capital.

Agreed. Mound Builders is absolutely loving busted if you have a start with enough grasslands. I had my capital pumping out 42!!!!!! culture per turn by the end of Age 3. Being able to use a culture power every 2-3 turns is just monstrous, and that's just one aspect of the boosted capital. You also get tons of bonus research, production, needs satisfaction, etc etc. And since the bonus lasts 5 turns, you can alternate between that and another cultural power as needed. Or just boost two cities.

Of course, if you have a city with barely any grassland, it's not going to help that much. Although don't discount the "expand into grasslands cheaper" aspect; ANY "expand your influence into X terrain cheaper" tech is worthwhile IMO.

EDIT: My capital is making 61 culture per turn under the effects of the Local Reforms culture power. For reference:

Zurai fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 1, 2024

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

So what are some pointers for a successful early game? I always feel like this is where i screw up on any of these games. I either spend too much time on research or expand to quickly or whatnot.

I've got the barbarian fighting down, 2 warbands and an archer, later 2 spears and 2 archers in age 2 will handle basically anything.

I'm still working on that myself. I always end up feeling like I'm super far behind by Age 4 (barring my most recent game where I abused the hell out of Mound Builders). I'm pretty sure the AIs expand a lot more aggressively than I do. In my most recent game, I tried spawning a settler and integrating that city ASAP after getting the bonus food and bonus research from Tribal government. It's hard to say how much that helped, though, since my capital was crazy even by that point.

Previously I've been a bit slower to expand and mostly caught up by going hard on research improvements when they come online in the middle Ages.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

my dad posted:

I have been informed by a buddy who plays this game of the following:

Spice merchants break the game's scaling completely, and let you do infinite city sprawl. Combined with feudal governments, it snaps the game in half. With the right build, you can reach 150+ vassals by turn 150 without ever having to fight a war, and as long as you keep the right kind of government, every 2 turns you can boost the population of every single one of them by 1, without any regard to other pop limits, outpacing all of the game's built in scaling limits by a ridiculous margin.

e2: The full infinite city exploit requires age of exploration, since conquistadors can drop a pioneer in places your civilian units can't safely reach, and then you can make merchants there (not limited to fully owned cities like settlers are), and convert them into settlers right away, instead of having to drag a settler halfway across the map.

I already responded to this in the other thread you posted this drek in.

quote:

my dad posted:

So, regarding the 4X game Millenia: It has been brought to my attention that spice merchants national spirit is completely and utterly busted if you have enough diplo income, or enough engineering/improvement making income to get some outpost with caravansarais, you can break the game over your knee.

The cost of buying merchants quickly caps out at a level where you can build 1 per turn with enough caravansarais, does not increase further.
The cost of converting a merchant to a settler is fixed, and very low.
The wide governments were not intended to scale with the utterly insane number of colonies you can make with this, and you'll soon get exponential growth due to spice merchants allowing diplo income to scale with the number of vassals you have.

That's not actually a thing. Caravanserais are an outpost-only improvement that can only be built on deserts. They're limited to 3 per outpost (a kind of proto-city that exists to harvest resources without requiring a full city), which since they provide 2 XP each is a total of 6 diplo XP. I don't know where merchant costs cap out, but it's at least 124 XP and probably more, which would put it at 7 outposts with 3 desert tiles each to generate that much.

For one thing, I don't think I've ever seen that much desert on a map, even in my current Huge Pangaea game. For another, each of those outposts costs you a bunch of engineering XP to build, so you're also cratering your engi income for absolute ages. For a third, caravanserais are actually very expensive to build on their own; 21 caravanserais costs 1050 improvement points which could otherwise be spent improving your actual cities. For a fourth, Feudal Monarchy already generates shittons of government and diplo XP, that's one of its entire points. You don't need to do something this moronic to get oceans of diplo XP income. For a fifth... having a billion diplo XP per turn doesn't actually do that much for you. The only things you can do with diplo XP by default are spawn envoys or merchants (which you do not need that many of), increasing vassal integration (which only matters if you intend to actually integrate them, and you probably don't), and gaining a point of Tolerance, which is the worst social fabric and has a 6 turn cooldown anyway.

This is a total nothingburger. It's beyond that, it's actively detrimental to winning the game.

Also the "increase vassal population by 1" power is a Cultural power, which means you're just not going to be able to fire off every 2 turns, full stop. I'm running an extremely heavily culture-focused game right now and even with my capital pumping out 60+ cpt it still takes 3 turns to refill -- and that requires using the "increase city yields" culture power every other use.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 3, 2024

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

LordSloth posted:

Is there something I’m missing or do I need to unlock the entire infopedia from scratch in each game? I would really love to be able to look at the spirits of the next age or so, or figure out what art could do for me in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, unfortunately the Infopedia only shows stuff that has been available in your current game. It's one of my bigger gripes with the game, along with the way units stop moving every time they see a reveal a new unit or city, even if those units/cities are not in your path and are neutral or even allied. It makes exploration and long-distance movement, especially over water, an utter pain in the rear end.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

my dad posted:

And here's a crosspost from that thread you loving dipshit. Why the gently caress is the very first thing you do when someone points out an exploit in a buggy-rear end new game to call them liars?

e: forgot to add this:

I didn't call anyone a liar. I said it's not really that impressive an "exploit". You post made it sound like the game was just carelessly broken in half with no effort at all by this, and that's just plain not the case. I don't know why you're loving flying off the loving handle, but you can loving calm the gently caress down about it.

As for your screenshots... here's from my game where I have half as many vassals:

So your friend spent all that effort to get 19 vassals over me for ... 2 government XP, 2 Diplomacy XP, less than 2 Culture per turn, and more than a hundred less improvement points per turn. The only significant gain was in wealth per turn, and I'm absolutely swimming in gold in that game anyway (as I have been in every game that gets this far).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

You literally called what he posted "drek", i.e., poo poo, which is not something to do and then get angry about the response's tone.

That wasn't angry, that was responding in kind as an emphasis for how dumb it was. Except I didn't call him a dipshit.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

my dad posted:

Having the ability to make cities for nonscaling 24 diplo points and 15 admin points each, is an exploit of clearly not intended mechanical interactions, yes.

The friend didn't go through any extra effort in this game, it was a normal game until he figured out in the middle of it that the exploit was possible and he dropped a few dozen cities in as many turns, and it's nowhere near close to being fully scaled yet. The maximizing setup I described is for the experimental game he's trying this out in.

Well, the screenshots you've posted just aren't anything abnormal. If the experimental game produces something that's actually out of scale with a normal game, that's a completely different matter and I have no problem eating my words and issuing an apology. As for the 24 diplo points per merchant thing, that's something to actually look into, because like I said, my game is 124 diplo per merchant after spawning just a handful and it's not like I've neglected my social fabrics. I'd definitely be interested in what's causing that interaction because that sounds like the real bug/exploit.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, that patch isn't very impressive, but first patches for new games rarely are. Usually bigger changes require more time and testing. It's usually a month or so before you can expect really significant changes, at a minimum.

I should probably get an early Age of Conquest victory achievement before they nerf Raiders, now that I think about it...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I think the preorder bonus has some alternate arts for specific units.

The first couple of DLCs are already announced. One adds an Atomic Age (something I noticed was completely missing from the game, no nukes, no nuclear power, no carriers), the other adds some ancient era uh, civics, whatever those are called (haven't internalized all the names yet). Both have a couple of other things but those were the headline items I noticed in the brief descriptions on Steam.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 3, 2024

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Had a quick peek at the steam page for the "full" (as much as we have right now) info.

The first DLC is Ancient World releasing in Q3 2024, with the following listed features:
A new nomadic game start option
A new National Spirit
A new economic Good
New Nation starting bonuses

The second is Atomic Ambitions in Q4:
Two new Ages
A new National Spirit
Nuclear options for the Strategic Warfare System.

And the cosmetic units aren't for preorder, they're part of the expansion pass. Just a reskin of the stone age warband and archer units, nothing else.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

my dad posted:

He noticed that merchants drop in price whenever he converts one into a settler, while the cost of settlers goes up at the same time. So this is probably the source of the cheap merchants. Converting his ancient merchants recruited early on into settlers didn't change the price, so the game probably remembers the baseline of merchant cost when you first get some of the prerequisites to the conversion ability.

That's definitely... I can't say unintended because it probably isn't, but definitely exploitative, yeah. I'll give it a run in my next game, fiddle with it some myself. I think the merchants should probably continue to scale as you buy more even if you're turning them into settlers. Especially if you're turning them into settlers, honestly.

As described, it essentially makes settlers not scale in price, which is clearly not something they thought all the way through.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

...you can turn merchants into settlers?

Only with the Spice Merchants National Spirit.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i honestly havent been super impressed by raiders. their 0 upkeep is a thing, but they tend to get slaughtered in great numbers against a proper stack, even from someone without a warfare spirit.

It's not just the free upkeep that makes Raiders OP. You get like 15 without spending a single production point or using any powers just by filling out the tree. They're also faster than other ancient units, get a 20% Combat bonus against militia, and are vampires that heal after every combat. Toss in a bit of Forced March and Reinforcements (both of which are stupid cheap in the ancient eras) you can pretty easily conquer the entire continent by the end of the third age without building a single military unit or researching a single military tech.

Plus the AI just doesn't build "proper stacks" except by mistake. I can't tell you how many Cannon/Cannon/Arquebus/Cannon/Arquebus stacks I saw while steamrolling Rome in my last game. There were some Pike/Grenadier/Mounted Rifle/Arquebus/Arquebus type stacks, but they were by far the minority.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 3, 2024

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Clothing is made at the Clothing Factory, which... appears to be only available from a tech in the Age of Rocketry. If you had a variant age there (IIRC Utopia replaces Rocketry) then you're SOL. Which is very dumb and needs to be changed.

Incidentally and tangentially related, a number of things in the game refer to a "Research" good. There is no such thing. What it really means is Analytics.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Bremen posted:

My guess is they changed that late in the game because it was confusing with research as a resource, but didn't catch all the places that used the term.

Yeah, it's pretty obviously just an oopsie from a name change. I'm positive it was caught in QA before release, and it should have been fixed because it's not even a drat code-level fix (unless those descriptions are hard-coded, which... lol). It's just sloppy, and it confused me in my previous playthrough because I thought the only way I could get a benefit from the Worlds Fair improvement was by keeping around a couple of outdated Inventor's Labs. It wasn't until I actually checked the city's goods production a couple dozen turns later that I realized it was eating the Analytics instead of Inventions.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Education represents primary education, not university-level stuff. Those are mostly represented by Specialists.

Also, secular governments do eliminate the need for religion. Both Democracy and Communism remove the religion need (Communism also removes the luxury need).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The Age of Ecology (I think that was the one) includes various ways to terraform the world toward grassland from any kind of terrain except maybe mountains.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Canopus250 posted:

Utopia was utterly disappointing as unlocking a late game option that's worse than a regular city is a choice.

They're not worse than a regular city at all. Very limited and specialized, yes, but not in any way worse. Every brain coral resource on the map represents 20 research or 20 culture (or a couple other similarly powerful options) once you refine it. That's extremely powerful. It takes way, way more investment to get a standard city producing that much.

Also, arcana doesn't disappear when you age up, it just stops appearing. Any arcana that you haven't already hoovered remains in place.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 11, 2024

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Power can be exported from your mainland cities. So can food, religion, etc. You also don't have to worry very much about needs once you hit 10 pop because they can't grow naturally anyway.

And I was absolutely able to continue harvesting arcana from my core cities after the age switch, I specifically watched out for it. This was pre-patch though, so maybe that changed things in the background?

EDIT: And again, that's 20 research/culture from a single brain coral resource. Just one. Four pop total, two to harvest and two to refine. If you're running Mound Builders then the culture may not be as important, but the research is still the best in the game.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 11, 2024

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

AG3 posted:

I'm not thrilled about the way researching automaton farms and plantations means you can't build non-aether versions until the automaton ones get obsoleted, since any city without aether supply can no longer harvest new resource nodes. You can send aether from other cities to that city of course, but you may not have the capacity for that in the aether-harvesting cities since you only have up to 3 export slots and a region can only export goods to a single target region at a time.

It's not like the improvement does nothing if you don't have aether to convert. It just won't give you whatever the aether conversion is. They still have a better return than older-age improvements. There might be other reasons for not wanting to upgrade (for example, they replace the Age of Monuments farm/plantation improvements that give housing in addition to harvesting resources, which could cause problems) but they don't remove your ability to harvest goods in cities without aether.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

AG3 posted:

It just would've been nice to have the option to build the old tech sometimes.

This I heartily agree with. there are definitely cases where the "upgrades" are downgrades in some way and losing access to the old versions sucks. This is true with both improvements and buildings.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The undo function is... rather buggy. I softlocked the game once by attacking with an army, forcing the enemy to retreat (with my army moving into the displaced enemy's hex), upgrading one of my units in that army to a leader, then undoing. What happened is that it reverted the combat, movement, and promotion... except that it didn't move the promoted unit back with the rest of the army. That meant I had a random pikeman mixed in with the enemy army. I had nominal control of the army, but couldn't actually move or attack with it, and deleting a unit from the army made it so I couldn't select the army anymore but it still showed up as an army without orders, so I couldn't progress the game.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I've found that the AI is extremely aggressive diplomatically at all points in the game, but they're extremely conservative with their armies. They'll surround a city with like 5 armies and then just sit there because they can't win without taking significant losses. They almost never attack unless they have an absolutely overwhelming 1-to-1 advantage. Their army composition also frequently sucks (I've mentioned it before but I swear half their armies are siege-siege-ranged-siege-ranged with no front line) so it's usually pretty easy to roll them up over the course of a few turns as long as you're willing to use your military XP to keep your units' HP up and withdraw them from dangerous positions. Even on middling difficulty levels the AI builds vast quantities of units, far more than I ever do, but I've never even come close to losing a city to the AI, let alone a war.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I’m a bit confused, do domestic import slots exist? I set one of my cities to export lumber to my capital and while it’s showing that lumber is being consumed for export I’m not seeing any extra lumber in my capital. Does it just take a turn?

There are no individual import slots. As long as the city is in the list of locations to export to, you can export any number of goods to it. They might take a turn to show up, not sure.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Jabor posted:

A chaos event where the downside is "everybody gets hosed up" sounds like you should absolutely pick it every time.

The AI tends to build way more armies than players and is not generally very bothered by random barbarians spawning in next to their cities. Especially at higher levels when they get massive bonuses against barbarians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Also isn't age of aether supposed to remove barbarians? I was still getting them after I moved into the next age.

It clears the map of all barbs and encampments, but more can still spawn from things like Chaos events or civs being destroyed.