Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I took proletariat regime, the communism ideal that reduces your max needs satisfaction by 50% in exchange for removing luxury needs and giving 10% regional efficiency with government complexes. The regional efficiency either doesn't work, or doesn't stack with golden age (from master artists). Halving your maximum growth speed already stings, without the regional efficiency I really wish I didn't take the ideal.

Also the clothing buff from pop culture is hilarious, 4 culture and arts exp each. I have 235 art xp per turn. With Great masters, that means I can use a culture power whenever I want, and easily get social fabric wildcards from celebrities if I wanted. And if that's not enough culture, you can also convert production to culture at 3:1. I'm using golden age on cooldown, but I'm not sure what else to do. Cutting edge is nice I guess? Eureka is giving me half a turn's worth of knowledge now, I can only get one more town in a region, I have almost -2000 accumulated chaos...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
So I really should be asleep instead of thinking about this game, and certainly instead of posting about it, but... does food just kind of suck from age 6-ish onward? You probably have a religion, so a sizable region is going to need food, housing, sanitation, faith, education, and luxuries (though that one can't go below 100%). So Food is only one sixth of your total needs. Unless you have a huge city, education is pretty easy to max out, you probably want to max out faith to convert your population for the culture, housing is easy to max out, luxuries tend to be really easy to max out too (might depend on playstyle/national spirits/government)... it's just food and sanitation that are a pain (until recycling centers finally let you deal with sanitation without much trouble). And by age 6 you're most of the way through the game. If you max out 4 needs, you still grow at 50%, and you can still get food from and sanitation from buildings, so you'll be somewhat above that. And even at only 50% growth, you're only missing out on a population every 8 turns... If you're having 10 population work tiles to produce food and sanitation to get them to 200%, and there's 80 turns left in the game, you're only barely breaking even. And that's ignoring you won't actually be at 0 food and sanitation. Aaaand you're paying upfront. Is working non-water food and sanitation improvements even worth it after you get faith, education,. and luxuries? My last game I hit Age of Enlightenment 91 turns before the game ended. Let's say you have a region with a public library/university/whatever else that needs education, you're going to need 100 food to get food to 200%, and 60 sanitation to max that out. Ignoring government/building/whatever sources, that's four trash heaps (all worked, though with 4 extra sanitation) and (without resources) five plowed farms, five mills, and five ovens, which is obivously way too much. But even with olives, you'd need four large olive plantations and four kitchens to get 96 food. And by that point in the game I don't see how you're going to come ahead in pop/hex-turns. Trash heaps do seem to do better, though.

(Fishing is different since you're probably going to spam docks/dock upgrades everywhere, so the hex has no opportunity cost. Plus utility boats exist)

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
The AI (and presumably the player) can apparently just reconvert to their old religion immediately after accepting a demand to convert. Or two turns later at most. At least there's a 10 turn cooldown on that and only 4 turns for diplomacy...? The diplomacy cooldown is really annoying in general. I guess it's to delay going open borders-peace-hostilities-war too quickly, but that could honestly be specific to those things.

Also I don't think appreciated scout cavalry enough in my first two games. They're only 10 production. Even with only 20 morale, you can have some garbage stack like 3-4 scouts and 1-2 catapults and just throw it against a walled city. The scouts will hold on long enough for the catapults to bring down the walls, and even if the stack gets overrun on the AI's turn it was pretty cheap. 92 production if you only go with one catapult. Plus you can always use them to block or even surround settlers etc. And less cheesily, having a spare scout follow your army to overrun retreating stacks is nice. And then you can upgrade some to explorers, who produce a bunch of domain exp through expeditions, and also get to 40 combat exp easily through the same, giving you really good leaders.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I completely missed that castle towns give culture. That's really good, 15 improvement points for 1 culture and 3 food (4 in jungle). I was using absorb outpost a lot, but I'm starting to think pioneers are to valuable to waste on that.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Super Jay Mann posted:

Maybe I did something wrong but I think you only get the food once from castle towns, at least if they're not on a resource.

Let's see... I have three outposts linked to one of my regions, with 6, 5, and 3 castle towns. The region gets... 4 wheat? Oh, it only gets wheat from grasslands. Deserts and scrubland give nothing. Jungles should give maize, I think? Not sure, I don't have any jungle tiles in my outposts.

But honestly, the culture is the important part. The food is just a nice extra.

(Just in case, I meant "1 wheat" when I said 3 food, I was converting it without mentioning it, oops.)

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Super Jay Mann posted:

Oh yeah, you build them for the culture anyway so it's not an issue, just didn't realize that bit from the terrain.

Incidentally, one shouldn't forget the 40 engineering XP cost for making a castle in the first place (which is on top of the pioneer cost), which can be a relevant cost if your income in that area is lacking.

That's true, 40 engineering is decently hefty. It gives 1 culture and warfare xp too, though. If the outpost has a lot of flatland (so monasteries aren't an option), especially grassland, it's still very nice.

In other news, Persia rejected my offer of peace. I closed the popup, and the next one was... an offer of peace from Persia. I wish the AI's decisionmaking on diplomacy was less opaque, especially with the cooldown (and I think you don't get your diplo exp back if they refuse your embassy?).

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jabor posted:

A chaos event where the downside is "everybody gets hosed up" sounds like you should absolutely pick it every time.

Relatedly, Age of Revolutions spawns rebels everywhere (regions, vassals, even outposts) 8 turns after it's reached. I think they count as barbarians for AI bonuses, so Master AIs seeme to shrug it off (even though I think some were two eras behind), but on normal it might do a lot of damage. Also gives you a whole bunch of warfare exp.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Did they buff gold? It at least used to only be 4 wealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Early Seafarers now get the shell goods in addition to fish, not instead of. That actually makes them useful, I didn't bother taking the ideal when I went Early Seafarers since I figured I'd always prefer having the fish instead. The Tinkerers from the Machinery NS also got a nice buff, the Improvement Points got increased by 25% and it only eats ingots instead of tools. Which is nice, because the tinkerers realy felt weak before.

This is also pretty funny:

quote:

Firing the Archangel space laser at another Nation is now considered an act of war.

also, on a more niche note,

quote:

Fixed Oath of Fealty to affect underwater Regions in Age of Utopia.
this should actually let you get your underwater cities off the ground fast enough to let them be somewhat relevant before the game ends.