Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Aow and SI are fantastic games, but they are not remotely civlikes. They are wargames first and only.

Anyway one I will heartily recommend that fell under most people's radar: Field of Glory: Empires. Tom Chick had some excellent writeups that sold me on the game. It focuses entirely on classical era Europe/Africa/West Asia - Romans, Egyptians, Celts and so forth. Lotta cool gimmicks that deserve a try.

Eschatos fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

habituallyred posted:

I'll ask what you recommend for playing Athens in the DLC persia campaign. I've got a game going right now, but only because Argo proposed an alliance with me. And I didn't get a crippling plague on the second turn... I know its just being historical with that but oof. You start at full military flex as far as manpower and money go.

Haven't played that one, but I'd imagine any of the smaller nations are well served by playing tall for a while and just racking up a megacity with a ton of resources before sending out the legions.

What exactly determines the kill count for age of blood? I conquered one barbarian city and it increased from 0 to 3. I conquered another and it increased to 4. A final one brought it up to 6. As far as I can tell the garrisons were identical. Wasn't goin around murdering any random barbarian armies either.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Lowen posted:

If it's like the demo then:
The only units that count are rival nations and free cities.
Garrison units that spawn in when a city/etc is defended don't count at all (I might be wrong there).
Barbarians don't count.

Well then what happened didn't make a whole lot of sense, unless free cities build units that count on top of the default garrison?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Played through the first three ages and then started over. I built a farm on some rice deposits. After building a press to make wine, I noticed that I don't actually have rice, and the farms are making wheat instead. Why is that? Don't see any kind of alternate rice paddie option.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Chaos has seemed pretty insignificant, at least early. Just save up a few hundred coins and pay off the event if it looks nasty.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

They seem to pop up instantly after I destroy one. At the end of the stone age, I had 8 armies, and as soon as I hit the bronze age, 6 barbarian cheifs appeared at my capital. I had 2 armies left after that. They were not there before the age change, it just spawned them out of the blue.

Eight full armies or just eight units? The latter is really not that much of a force. And yeah if they were all warbands I can see why you might gotten hit that hard.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Eight armies of 3 guys, either 2 warbands and 1 archer, or 2 archers and 1 warband.

How the hell did most of 24 units get annihilated by a few barbarians then?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

What are the formation rules, anyway? I assume keep as many melee/line units as you have ranged units in order to keep the backline protected? Cavalry always gets to flank?

If there's a logic to how units attack beyond them focusing the unit type they're strong against, I don't know it. I'd guess its basically random otherwise.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

I guess Ive gotten off lucky so far then. Still seems like getting one of the military techs within your first four researched techs is crucial.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

What's the deal with domestic trade? I see it mentioned in the market tooltip as an alternative to foreign trade, but I have no idea what actually grants the capacity.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Jabor posted:

It's first unlocked in age 3, and then some buildings will give you domestic trade capacity. You get to send goods from one of your cities to another.

You can use it for sending finished production goods to a city where the production is needed (perhaps a newly-settled place?), or you could send finished food goods to a city where you need more growth, or you could send luxuries or other needs-meeting goods (like books or religious texts) around the place.

It's annoyingly fiddly to use though.

Ok but what buildings? Skimming through all the techs in ages 3 and 4 and not seeing anything.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Yeah I had age of heroes. I guess they're too important to waste time trading.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh sick, innovations can even unlock superior unit variants that'll outperform nearly everything in their tier until they reach obsoletion. I got a Hoplite unit innovation that had better stats than even Pikemen, a unit one Age above it.

Also another innovation gave all my line units a defense bonus vs. ranged, basically neutralizing their weakness. Game's fuckin cool, man.

I was extremely amused at the age of heroes quest that unlocked Oni as warriors from a Demon Gate. Yes in the description it says they're just people inspired by the legend but still. I enjoy when game is willing to get a little silly.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Almost got myself stuck starting age of intolerance. It seems like that might be impossible to avoid if you start a religion while having a large population unless you have a colossal stockpile of build points. Luckily I learned that if the next age tech is already queued up already hitting the limit will not force switching ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

Certain events will cause chaos like razing neutral settlements (I wish the game was clearer to new players that you're increasing the rate of chaos gain rather than the discrete amount), though it should tell you if it does that in whatever tooltip accompanies the choices. Also having unrest in your cities adds to the chaos buildup, perhaps you haven't been keeping abreast of that? (check the circular meter to the left of the city name window).

You're not wrong but it seemed pretty clear to me that there is no distinction between chaos gain and rate. Anyway if there's any issue from my perspective it's that having a decent wealth economy makes chaos insignificant.