Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

A few notes I’ve found on Barbarians:

* The big issue is large, open spaces (and minor cities count as open, I’ve seen barb camps in their borders) where if you have multiple camps the numbers of random raiders quickly gets overwhelming.

* The first answer is Discipline in Bronze Age. A Barb unit will often kill warbands and if even you’re winning battles it can quickly get Pyrrhic if you’re losing troops each time. Spearmen, though, generally survive, and they’re cheap to upgrade to. Unless I clearly need to Envoy a minor Civ, Discipline is usually my first Age II tech.

*The second answer is, weirdly, culture. Each culture completion can be spent for “Raise Army”, which gets you a line infantry (warband/spear) and an archer if you have Defenses researched (and a second line infantry if you don’t). It’s a lot more effective that spending production on them.

* I also think you need to make your first settler late, not early. I put my first 26 government points into +food and +knowledge in tribal government bonuses, and only after that do I get a settler. That means I’m defending less territory and I have more time to both explore and to see which areas are going to get overwhelmed. And then when my settled is ready, I usually have troops ready to go with it because I’ve hit culture a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Also: to be clear, I’m enjoying Millenia, but I think it has a fair number of issues - the UI is okay at best; there are way too many goods that aren’t distinctive enough; the fact that cities need super huge amounts of space but the AI will settle right on top of you and there’s no removing cities just seems like bad design; the whole “import/exports” mechanic is underexplained and poorly implemented; and there’s just a lack of personality to it.

Like, this other country is “Persia” but all that means is the names of the cities he settled are from the ‘Persian’ set and figuring anything out about what they’re like is digging three screens deep into the diplomacy menu and mousing over icons. I built the Colossus and mechanically it’s amazing but the game didn’t make any difference between that and me building a town hall in a different colony. I eliminated a neighbor and the notice was a pop up screen that was, just “Player 3 has been eliminated.” It’s just all very functional without being interesting beyond the innate puzzles of the mechanics.

I’ve still put like 40 hours into it, so I’m not saying it’s bad. Will likely put a lot more time in as well.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

toasterwarrior posted:

Gotcha, TY. Rough rules from reading this is 1:1 ratio of line and ranged, odd numbers should be a leader or cavalry I guess.

I usually do two spears and one archer in a group, and haven’t bothered with leaders yet. (The tutorial on them implied or stated that they get less powerful each Age so I wasn’t interested in making a unit that would be less interesting over time.) You start with two war bands, so the free archer from researching Defense makes one group and then one cultural “Raise Armies” and one “Volunteers” from Military XP gets you a second without a point of production.

Oh! Thought of something else - in my experience, every goody hut in the game is paired with one nearby camp. So if you see a goodie hut, grab it, but recognize that there’s a barb camp in the vicinity.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Age of Plague shouldn’t be that deadly to you to take that long to get through. Yes, it sucks that you lose 1/3rd of your pop and then have to play pixel hunt whack-a-mole, but because you get most of your knowledge from buildings you shouldn’t be taking a serious hit in researching out.

The most important thing to getting through a plague IMO is building up, not out. Settling new places is fine, but don’t integrate anything at all - not only is it a culture hit at a time when you want culture to be pushing you through the age and building up towns for money, but also integrated vassals become a new place plague can crop up.

Also, a few notes overall from having played more:

* Holy poo poo was I undervaluing clay. The difference in my starts between having a single clay pit and kiln out vs. not is astounding. I had ignored clay early because it takes valuable farming space and only gives one production so it looked worse than quarries and mines, but I undervalued how much the extra shovel a turn it gives you means, and how it made it easier to grow cities and get other production up and running because you have twice the improvement points. In addition, clay pits count for Mining Towns, and it’s usual for a good Mining Town site to have a grassland or two in it.

* Keeping up your religion past the Middle Ages means a lot of paper making to get religious books out.

* Always remember that there are ways to get units without production. 20 exploration points is a scout cavalry. 30-40 military is a line unit (warband/ pike). Culture bonuses can be a line and a ranged unit. In most games I don’t build units in Age I or II unless I’m in dire straits.

* Someone asked about money making, and yeah - it can be tough early. Plan for towns and make sure you’re keeping your culture up for more towns (you can build them in vassals, and once you have enough region points/techs you can get multiple towns in the same region). If you don’t have immediate resources for money, and towns don’t seem like they’ll help much, consider going Early Seafarers- their third tier power reveals a water resource for +3 wealth that is loving everywhere, and that you can send utility boats to harvest if you don’t have any immediately next to you. And then Coastal towns’ level 2 bonus is even more money.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Zurai posted:

I don't know why you're loving flying off the loving handle, but you can loving calm the gently caress down about it.

You literally called what he posted "drek", i.e., poo poo, which is not something to do and then get angry about the response's tone.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I mean development of this patch had to have been close to done when the game released so they haven’t really had time to collect feedback and integrate it into the game. That being said, with the exception of late game performance, have there been glaring issues people have brought up? I know we want more options regarding game set up, and multiplayer, but in terms of everything else there are a lot of very interconnected systems that I really think we need more time to figure out before what large changes are needed are clear.

I don't know that there are glaring issues in the sense of "this is broken and makes the game unplayable", but I'm a little miffed that the game clearly emphasizes having flat space around a city to build lots of buildings, then has the AI aggressively settle cities right up next to you without the ability to raze said cities. I feel that the game would be better and allow for more interesting play if you could raze small cities, build city buildings on hills, or begin clearing forests much earlier.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I took God-King, made stonecutters cheaper, and then every time I incorporated a vassal, I found that literally every flat square that wasn't a special resource had a stonecutter on it. Like 9 stonecutters per city. Guess how many quarries they had?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Towns make money for each improvement next to them, and double that when they're upgraded. Coastal towns make extra money for ocean improvements next to them when upgraded.

I think with Mining you can spend Exploration XP to create a prospector, who finds gold in an empty hill and turns it from +2 production to +8 money.

Edit: Somehow I missed that The Deadly Shoe said the same thing, so consider this me emptyquoting them. That and the Prospector thing.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

My standard is to grab the food bonus and the knowledge bonus, and then pop a settler, getting the improvement bonus after that, and then deciding based on how much space there is to fill whether I get the culture bonus or a second settler next. I never bother with the "spawn warband" power.

I think that at the very least you need the knowledge bonus ASAP; it's a 50% boost to research, and there are very few other ways to boost research for a long time in the early game.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

And it doesn't seem to effect empty land masses where they spawn, because when i was exploring blue water, i came across a good sized continent that every single hex had a barbarian unit or camp on it.

No, it absolutely does. I had an Age of Aether game, and when I went out to the blue water areas, the islands were completely empty, and I have never had that happen in any other game.

Are you sure you didn't download a mod or accidentally find a "spawn barbarians five times as much" setting? Because the way you're describing the amount of barbarians you find doesn't match my experience except in maybe the 10% of games where I'm a lot farther from the AI than normal. Are you playing with fewer AIs than normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

I play with 6 on a large map. I found 8 i could barely get 3 cities down, anything less and the barbs are just endless waves like wasps at an open bottle of pop.

And i don't have any models running. if someone has made a mod that reduces barbs by half or cuts down on the hyper aggressive AI, i'd love those.

No, playing on 6 in a large map completely explains it. The fewer computer players there are, the more empty space there is, and the more empty space there is, the more barbarian camps there are at the start, and the more those camps spawn new camps because their guys just wander around getting XP until they're big enough to settle places.

The latest patches cut down on the AI forward-settling as much, so maybe try going back to the normal number of AIs and see if that fixes your constant streams of barbarians?