Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I have a strong itch to waste this long weekend with some civ-like action but I’m torn between trying this and just playing more Old World. I’ve heard too many UI complaints to feel super good about this. Jank doesn’t necessarily bother me; I love Humankind. But it being a chore to play would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It’s not actually a paradox game; they’re just the publishers.

If the interface is decent enough I may give it a shot just because I want something new.

I do heavily recommend Old World if you are ok with a game being single-era though. It’s excellent.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Alright that’s enough info for me to jump in, looking forward to ignoring my kids on Easter.

Edit: and it is much closer to an indie game than a major dev game. People get hung up on Paradox but there’s a difference between Paradox publishing and developing a game, and they didn’t develop this.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Helion posted:

Reviews for this game are universally bad, so why are all y’all stories cool as gently caress?

The reviews are below average, not universally bad.

I haven’t had time to play a lot but I got a couple hours in last night and it’s definitely interesting so far. If I didn’t already have a ton of hours in OW/Civ/Humankind would I want to play it? Maybe not, but it doesn’t seem like a dumpster fire, yet anyway. It seems like a decent indie 4X game.

Edit: unless you mean steam reviews which are mostly people mad multiplayer doesn’t work, which is legitimate but I never play MP so it doesn’t matter to me

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I guess I’m in the minority because I actually prefer each civ starting as a blank slate and acquiring unique characterization during the game.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Holy poo poo plague is annoying. Is there some easier way to find outbreaks than scrolling around hoping to see the green miasma stuff? I’ve been able to manage fine by using production to clear the plagues but it takes forever to find them. I know during the turn animation it snaps to them but that’s not really working as a way to keep track either.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I’m sure there is a good bit of balancing needed but I really like how the national spirits really alter the meta depending on what you pick. I’m fine with them being overpowered in their own way when the opportunity cost is not getting to do a different overpowered thing.

I’m finishing up my first game and frankly had a blast. It really does enough different for me to recommend this to anyone who has played through a lot of 4X games.

I am Egypt and ended up on the north end of a continent with only one neighbor, Rome, in the middle of the continent and the USA on the southern end of the continent. Spain was also in the south but Rome steamrolled them. I allied with Rome for a while but then got backstabbed and they declared war on me. I didn’t have a big army but I had good gold and production income so I was able to get one spun up pretty quick and ended up taking a city from them, promptly renamed “LOL Rome.”

Rome became a thorn in my side with us at roughly equal power. I think we had a total of 5 wars, mostly with nothing really happening besides me peeling off 2 cities, till the big last one. We hit the era with planes and the AI actually built them which I’m not used to, but I was able to get air superiority and bomb them (which isn’t very effective against ground units but did work against fortifications.) I had a brutal slog in one of their larger cities on my border on the west end of the continent, but I cracked the shell on the east end and ran wild through former Spain and some other territory, taking almost a third of their territory and getting the chaos meter up over 150 points a turn for a minute there.

Rome was my only real peer so now it’s a good bit of clicking “next turn” while I get to the last age for the final victory condition, but the game lasted longer than most 4X so before I got to that point. Gonna crank the difficulty up next time and I’m expecting to get rocked because it was fairly close this time around.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

twistedmentat posted:

I love when a patch arrives and it literally does not address any complaints the community has. Maybe the next one will help?

I mean development of this patch had to have been close to done when the game released so they haven’t really had time to collect feedback and integrate it into the game. That being said, with the exception of late game performance, have there been glaring issues people have brought up? I know we want more options regarding game set up, and multiplayer, but in terms of everything else there are a lot of very interconnected systems that I really think we need more time to figure out before what large changes are needed are clear.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

skeleton warrior posted:

I don't know that there are glaring issues in the sense of "this is broken and makes the game unplayable", but I'm a little miffed that the game clearly emphasizes having flat space around a city to build lots of buildings, then has the AI aggressively settle cities right up next to you without the ability to raze said cities. I feel that the game would be better and allow for more interesting play if you could raze small cities, build city buildings on hills, or begin clearing forests much earlier.

I agree with all those things and hope they change them soon for sure. Especially razing. I don’t really get why razing wasn’t included from the start.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I wonder if they’re gonna eventually add cosmetically differing unit/city styles. Would make starting civ have a bit more flavor. Kind of wild that there aren’t city styles at least but I guess it took the first civ 4 expansion for that, too

At the very least this seems very moddable given the low res nature of everything anyway. But I would love to see it keep with the blank slate set up it has now and pick the palate not based on the civ, but on the government or other choices that you pick.

Zurai posted:

I think the preorder bonus has some alternate arts for specific units.

The first couple of DLCs are already announced. One adds an Atomic Age (something I noticed was completely missing from the game, no nukes, no nuclear power, no carriers), the other adds some ancient era uh, civics, whatever those are called (haven't internalized all the names yet). Both have a couple of other things but those were the headline items I noticed in the brief descriptions on Steam.

I wonder if atomic will be a variant or just another age. I don’t really want more ages played through in a game but more variants would be fun.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I think you need to wait to found the religion until you research organized religion so you can get religious needs spun up quickly.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Haha I decided to try raiders and landed the perfect map for it. A ton of minor cities all over the continent, which are now a huge vassal empire of mine. Raiders really do snowball hard when you have a bunch of barbarians to turn into war XP.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I don’t hate it in principle but man making it mandatory was a choice.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

twistedmentat posted:

Its not that is ugly, its that its hard to tell what poo poo is. None of the improvements are easily recognizable at a glance outside of the terrain they are for the most part. A school and a furnace and a weaver all look basically the same.

Yeah this. I don’t mind the quality of the graphics at all, but things need more differentiated.

On another note, should I be developing cities, then revassaling them so I can develop other cities? I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me till now but that seems like a way to get things rolling in a lot of middling vassals.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Ctrl-click to attack but not advance is something I’ve wanted for literal decades in 4X game and I hope this gets future ones off their rear end to implement it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Arcanuse posted:

Hey, uh. checked the steam chievos on a whim. The hells Project Atlas? Looks like there's a whole secret victory condition folks are still lookin into

It’s been figured out; it’s on Reddit. There’s a whole series of “glitches” you can unlock by performing specific actions and then clicking certain places in the encyclopedia, which unlock the “true” ending.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Vassal razing yesssss

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Canopus250 posted:

So some enterprising person on the official discord has made mods to select any age advancement and to destroy settlements you control.

I toyed around with the age advancement one and you can get some wacky stuff but you can also miss out on a lot of expected improvement tier ups and personally crippled any chance of making a mining based production region in my run.

I think that’s the biggest issue with back to back variant ages. Techs and unlocks assume it won’t happen, so you’ll have some gaps that need fixed.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I beat a barb outpost pretty early and got the option to take a cannon way before it should’ve unlocked at the cost of 20 chaos.

Which is really nothing compared to the chaos I generated with the thing.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

THE BAR posted:

I'm disappointed they didn't change a single thing during the actual beta. These are all the same changes we had a week ago.

I mean the Beta is just to make sure none of the changes totally break anything. I wouldn’t expect big changes from Beta to release unless something had gone wrong.

Fun thing I found out: chaos can go infinitely negative. I took propaganda early on and then didn’t really do any chaos related things for a while and got it down to like -900, so when I did a blitz war and started making 150 chaos per turn it took a few turns for it to catch up with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The “spawn crusaders” culture power when you have a high enough culture generation to trigger it every ~4 turns is pretty hilarious.