Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Not unavailable, transition means they can only match any offer, no compensation if he leaves.

https://twitter.com/Patriots/status/1765103813696913421

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tampa will likely hold firm or give him an incentive deal to pretend it's over $30m

Because who is giving Baker that contract? Just because the Giants were dumbasses doesn't mean you have to be.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Russ on the Steelers is like the perfect recipe to win 9-10 games and lose convincingly on wild card weekend.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was going to post that y'all are ignoring Fields' legs, but his combined yardage is still smaller than Russ and he lost four of his ten fumbles. The bears really fell apart in the second half of the year.

Yeah, the idea of Fields is much better then the actual of Fields.

Turns out 2nd best is great except when 3-5 are Mac, Zac and Lance

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Does Russ generate enough interest for a bidding war? Besides the Steelers and Falcons, maybe the Panthers (who have publicly said they don't want him lol), there's no one who pay starter money for him.

Without a weird contract, he doesn't make any money playing (his base from the Broncos is guaranteed, and it has offset language), so he's just doing it for a chance to win / build himself up for next year.

Either the Steelers or Falcons make sense, mayyyybe the Raiders, nobody else I think works out for Russ or the team

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I loved Jonnu in Tennessee but that was four years ago, he’s probably just washed at this point. But on paper I feel like he’s a good fit with ol noodle arm

Would you believe that last year was the most productive season of his career by both receptions and yards?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mega64 posted:

Considering how laser-focused Arthur Smith was to give him the ball over targets like London, Pitt, and Bijan, yes.

Drake on a deep post pulling a safety away, Pitt and WR2 blocking, Bijan running a decoy route to Jonnu's side as he crosses over for an epic TE screen? That's winning football baby.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Patriots signed Steelers T Chunkwuma Okorafor.

He's servicably mid, which is a significant upgrade from Vederian Lowe.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Here's something I find fascinating. Offense is viewed as vastly more important then D by teams by contract:

https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/1766127184337363191

Images for both O and D:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Borsche69 posted:

that was weirdly fast. i can't remember the last time we got a franchise tagged player signed that quick

It's pretty easy I think, Aaron Donald laps the field by so much, you just go gimme inflation over the guy in #2.

The top APY IDL contracts are:

$32m Aaron Donald
$24m Quinnen William
$23.5m Jeffery Simmons
$22.5m Daron Payne & Dexter Lawrence

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If it was just a salary dump to eat that Bosa contract, I'd be tempted on the Pats for a late pick.

The only way they'll be halfway decent next year is if the defense is stupid good, so adding a guy who could be a quality pass rusher if he miraculously stays healthy is about the level of random bullshit that'd have to go right for that to happen.

And if they suck anyway and he stays healthy, they trade him off at the deadline to a contender and eat the contract. And if he doesn't stay healthy, no harm, no foul.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't think anyone was giving Baker more then that. He's shown a lot of bad football when not behind a good offensive line with good weapons.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yesssssss

Also it's allegedly 3 years $20m base with incentives up to $33m.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 11, 2024

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If it's actually that and not funny money, just under $24m APY puts him behind:

$30m Tyreek
$28m Davante
$27m Kupp
$25m AJ Brown
$24m Diggs / Metcalf
$23.8m Deebo
-----------------------------------
$23.2m McLaurin

Which considering inflation from the cap, seems... fine, even if I'd take all those guys over him pretty easily I think.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CTESPN sounds like what you'd name your edgy parody account, fail at it, then try and rebrand as a rumor mill account.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Announce some deals, think of the poor podcasters!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1767228624304775211

Johnathan Greenard isn't really a "star" he is?

Dozen sacks last year. Definitely a break out year, unknown how repeatable it is, but that'll make you money.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I was hearing around $25m per which teams were aiming at, but nah, getting close to splitting the Donald difference. Chris Jones getting the bag probably pushed this over the finish line

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Lawrence needs weapons

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They aren't, but they are.

Like RB is such a depreciated asset right now, it's kinda wild. Would you really rather have Gabe Davis or Saquon Barkley?

And mind you, the crazy number for Barkley is still cheaper then the base number for Gabe.

Like sure it's an overpay, but if you need weapons, RB on a short term contract is fine, they'll produce for a year or two before disintegrating.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

seiferguy posted:

What's the $ threshold for picks to be awarded to teams losing their FAs? I know it changes every year.

The formula is weird, and depends on a lot of things, but presume at least $20m a year for a 3rd.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Patriots signed... Antonio Gibson, hey he was pretty good... oh 3 years ago, huh

But eh, 3rd down back

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Professor Funk posted:

Antonio Gibson is like the exact tier of RB I'd be happy about spending on in free agency lol

The contract's gonna be for like nothing, and we don't have any depth on the roster behind Rhamondre.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Wow, Cousins with a non fully guaranteed contract, lost a step, where's his fastball, SMH.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I haven't heard that name in fore.... oh it's his loving son. his loving son is a free agent, jesus christ.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Professor Funk posted:

I think the Saquon-type deals rarely work out. There are tons of cheap depth signings at RB every year that work out perfectly well (e.g., Zeke last year also for the Pats).

I pretty much agree with this, with the caveat that if you need a weapon and there's none available, you're probably better off with 1-2 years of an overpriced RB then nothing.

I mean ideally you're drafting a day 3 RB every year, and one 2nd day every like 5 years, and filling in all the misses with guys near the vet minimum, but sometimes you need a guy who has done pass blocking snaps in their life ever.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Dolphins have $130m in cap space dedicated to just Tyreek, Jalen Ramsey, Bradley Chubb, Tua and Terron Armstead, and that's before paying Tua. They're gonna put the Rams to shame in the stars & scrubs roster construction department.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1767304273321140684

He was good last year, but does not come with Belichick, so *shrug*

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

YESSSS, easily our best offensive player, position versatility, can play guard and RT, and cheaper then the freaky contracts that went out today to other guards.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1767332163224047918

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I... don't know who this is:

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1767352501626405108

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think I'd much rather have Mariota at that then Darnold.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So you're saying they have a type

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mike Gesicki is such a limiting player, hated having him.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Comfortador posted:

I think anyone talking about Darnold as QB1 is asssuming they are drafting a Rookie to take over after a year or so

Joe Mixon, Derrick Henry still out there. (or will be, I dunno if they officially released Mixon)

Speaking of!

Joe Mixon has NOT been cut, and has instead been traded to the Texans

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Geez, that seems like a lot of money for a Bears WR not named Moore

E: Seriously? This gets $13m per year?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Feels weird that both the Eagles and Ravens, two teams lauded for analytics decision making a lot of the time, spent big on old running backs.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I imagine this is a play to get a better offer because the Jags are like out of cap space after signing Gabe Davis. Sure they could make the space, but that seems like... probably not the move you want to be making.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thought we'd at least lose our complimentary pass rusher:

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1767635962199253273

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

And sure, not sure why the Eagles need the definition of not getting open, but okay

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1767638836425744670

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

This is absurdly cheap. He wasn't very productive last year after Judon went down, but still, this is nothing for a 26 year old guy who had a dozen sacks in '22

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1767640391640047854