Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Darn good safeties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

lol $44m a year for Baker

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Chris James 2 posted:

Kirk's either staying or going to Atlanta, Russini's hearing lean toward Atlanta

https://twitter.com/damski32/status/1765728567231422862?s=46

Is Russini a good media source or a bad media source?

I remember somebody in one of these threads claiming something about her but I can’t remember specifically.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Unreliable reporting… Sad!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Huh that seems like a bit more money than I’d give if I was the Bucs FO and a bit less money than I’d take if I was Baker.

I guess that means it is a good faith compromise?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Blind Pineapple posted:

Russ is slightly better than the garbage the Steelers have been trotting out at QB the last 3 years, but not good enough to get them past a first round exit. Basically trying to buy time for a mulligan on the horrible Pickett pick.

Would be kinda funny if Russ leads Tomlin to his first losing season, though.

Wilson’s rate stats were fine considering his coach hated him, his OL was injured, his main WR was banged up, and his age continues to go up up up.

Completion % (12th) :)
TD % (4th) :)
Int % (13th) :geno:
Y/A (21st) :geno:
Sack % (27th) :(
Rush yards per game (6th) :)

He was also 2nd in 4th quarter come backs and 2nd in game winning drives, per game, among qbs with significant starts.

Meanwhile Pickett was 27th or worse in basically everything (including dead last in TD %), except hilarious int % where he was 2nd best lol.

Pickett is really really bad and the Steelers still won 10 games in 2023, with Matt Canada at OC. Russ and Arthur Smith at OC seem like clear upgrades.

Winning a wild card game in a 7-
team playoff structure doesn’t seem impossible. So I think it’s reasonable that Pittsburgh could do better than a first round playoff exit.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Then again defense effectiveness can vary wildly year to year so maybe the Steelers face plant. That’s why they play da game babey.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Isnt Russ bad at throwing over the middle and Arthur Smith's offense relies on throws over the middle? I have nightmares about AJ Brown catching a pass over the middle from Tannehill for a big gain from Arthur's days as the Titans OC.

He’s fine at throwing over the middle. If we split “over the middle” into three depths, 0-5, 6-10, 11-X, he’s been good at the short and at the long. He’s been solid at the 6-10.

The meme that he *can’t* throw over the middle is because he’s historically chosen to throw over the middle, as a proportional share of all his throws, at a rate less than the NFL average. His accuracy has been fine when he does choose to throw over the middle.

Wilson played behind literally the biggest college OL when he was at Wisconsin and he made it work.

Wilson is probably missing some over the middle opportunities that he could otherwise realize if he were like 6’4”, but it’s not some critical Achilles heel that makes him a worthless qb.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Fair deal for player and for team.

Also a fair deal for player and for team! I thought he’d try and hold out for several mil more per year.

I love contracts!!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kalli posted:

If it's actually that and not funny money, just under $24m APY puts him behind:

$30m Tyreek
$28m Davante
$27m Kupp
$25m AJ Brown
$24m Diggs / Metcalf
$23.8m Deebo
-----------------------------------
$23.2m McLaurin

Which considering inflation from the cap, seems... fine, even if I'd take all those guys over him pretty easily I think.
My reaction exactly. Given how much the cap went up I expected more inflation.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Greenard is also a plus run defender, which is a nice combo with his double digit sacks.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Entirely too many reasonable contracts

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

xbilkis posted:

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1767380882417930295

Carolina paying their guards $33m a season and I still can't definitely say they're going to be good

(the guards, not the team itself)

Seahawks IOL was bad last year. Lewis was the least bad.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

fast cars loose anus posted:

Going all in when you have a great QB on a rookie deal is the correct choice, happy to have Hunter

Idk why Houston didn’t get Hunter and Greenie. They have the cap space and in the modern nfl I want 3 good edges, not 2.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dexo posted:

wonder if this means the Falcons and Titans are out of the WR draft market.

Heck no, imo. Both could go OT or WR with their top 10 picks and both could go OL or WR with their second pick.

Mayo-man needs weapons!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1768368337606651972

LOL @ the idea of Howell beating out Geno Smith.

What an awful loving trade for Seattle.

They now don’t have a second or third pick.

If they are going to trade, maybe trade for Justin Fields??

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Cavauro posted:

reader was so good. poo poo rear end

I love big dts and he is one of the biggest and strongest

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

He’s decently good but different dcs and schemes did interesting stuff with him which might be some type of canary.

But the Harbs can prolly unlock whatever power Poona has left.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Intruder posted:

I'm bummed, day 1 holds no excitement for me now

Other than the new jersey reveal I guess

You have a good team now, my friend. Excitement shifts from draft to the season! CJ Stroud!!!!

I hope the revamped jerseys are good. I got a lot more excited about them when I learned that they are actually gonna be new-new rather than slight tweaks!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

A Sneaker Broker posted:

What if...and hear me out here.

Pick 11
Pick 23
2025 3rd

For Justin Herbert. The Vikings get their guy. The Chargers can rebuild completely.

Lmao no

If you threw in the 2025 first and second I’m still keeping Herbie.

He’s a 26 year old saiyan-level elite QB, for Pete’s sake!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I blame the bears

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

JJ may have a lower ceiling than the other top qb prospects but he also has a lower floor.

The perfect prospect.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

Chicago - QB
Wash - QB
NE - QB
ARi - WR
Chargers - might be willing to trade
Giants - QB is a possibility but probably 2nd best WR in the class
Tennessee - not a QB
Atlanta - probably an edge
Chicago - who knows.

I mean... They might be able to stand pat and get who they want anyway but I think the most likely candidate to trade back would be the chargers. With their current cap they might want as many rookie contracts as possible but they did lose Allen and Williams this offseason so you'd think for sure they're staying to take the best receiver they can.

I think the Arizona situation is illustrative of the conversation we’re having about the trade back with Minnesota taking them out of blue chip prospect range.

If Minnesota was at 9 then I’d be much more willing to trade if I was Arizona. Because you’d still have a chance at one of the elite 3 WRs. But because Minnesota is at 11, there’s minimal chance Odunze or Nabers lasts that long, and as such I’d be hesitant to trade down if I was Arizona unless the package was astronomical.

><><><><

Also, I strongly disagree with the Falcons going defense at their pick. Obviously their pass rush has been awful the last few years, so I get why it’s mocked to them… but the top WR prospects and OT prospects are such better quality than the top defensive line prospects, and are positions of need, that I’d prioritize maximizing the offense around Kirk.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’ll take a point guard

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

mcmagic posted:

The whole Kyle Pitts saga makes me nervous about taking Bowers in the top 10.

And Bowers seems worse than Pitts in most ways… size, speed, contested catches…

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

This dude fell off hard, right?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

They are a really bad team with a really bad qb, but winning less than 5 games in a 17 game season seems pretty tough to do.

I believe in the panthers though. They can do it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Obviously injuries and variance and general NFL year over year change… but yeah I agree. Tomlin is gonna get a good season out of his team.
  • upgrades at QB
  • upgrades at OC
  • maybe healthy defense this year
  • slight downgrades at WR (so far)

Just seems like Steelers are a better team than last year, so far :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The Ravens' best draft picks of the past decade are from Louisville, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame. Not too worried about any specific college pipelines breaking down.

After this upcoming season, add Minnesota to the list of schools.

Danny F is gonna be an all pro.