Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
ff14 is the only ff I've played and it will probably stay like that forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I feel insane for xenoblade 2 being my favorite one. I liked 3 but I felt like I spent like 75% of the time swapping jobs around to try to make the numbers go up.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I rather enjoy it, even if the community online is extremely :sam: tier. But just for the story and raids...I play a real game if I want good moment to moment gameplay.

lol yeah raelly its entirely the playerbase being intolerable

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

If you want a single player MMO you should play Xenoblade

whenever anyone says single player mmo all i can think ab out is the original .hack games but idk if they were actually alright or if i just had extremely low standards when i played them

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Just bought a third copy of final fantasy x. I'm going to play it on my switch this time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

whenever anyone says single player mmo all i can think ab out is the original .hack games but idk if they were actually alright or if i just had extremely low standards when i played them

They're cool but insanely hard to go back to. They play very badly lol. Would love a more modern revival. Even the GU series which had better gameplay than the original 4 is not very good.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Soul Dentist posted:

The first FF is the only good one because any other game belies the word "Final" in the title

Heh.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There is an emulated server for the actual .hack mmo that never left Japan + a english translation but I've been too lazy to get it set up.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

speaking of things that i vaguely remember being awesome but i am scared to try to revisit: serial experiments lain. dare i?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I think XIII-2 is better gameplay wise and therefore the better game, but X-2 is unfathomably Based.

The size of the stages and how you travel between them always makes me think 13-2 is a bulked up psp game. It’s good.

Edit: tell Square I want FF 13-1-3 on switch 720 p capped at 30.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

what would make you scared to revisit a classic?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

what would make you scared to revisit a classic?

just because what if it’s not as good as i remember, mostly. it’s not like an anime that aged badly because it had weird content or anything as far as i remember.

ah what the hell, why not? it’s not like I’m goin anywhere for the next few days

also that opening song still slaps

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I think 16 really drags but there's something insanely funny about it that reminds me of the ff7 remakes and I just wish the combat and side quests were punchier

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The side quests in 16 get really dire

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Stux posted:

lol yeah raelly its entirely the playerbase being intolerable

There was periods of time when Walmart had nothing but .jack//whatever games. Never played one though.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They're cool but insanely hard to go back to. They play very badly lol. Would love a more modern revival. Even the GU series which had better gameplay than the original 4 is not very good.

The gameplay sucks but what made them so memorable was all the things surrounding it. The forums, news websites, email, the lore and anime/manga/novels that all connected together, all that stuff. It’s a shame most of the stuff after GU kinda sucked though.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

NoiseAnnoys posted:

just because what if it’s not as good as i remember, mostly. it’s not like an anime that aged badly because it had weird content or anything as far as i remember.

ah what the hell, why not? it’s not like I’m goin anywhere for the next few days

also that opening song still slaps

its a classic for a reason

Heath posted:

The side quests in 16 get really dire

The characters are so good but they really did stuff the end with some of the worst sidequests

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I played the first one way back. I thought it was dope that you could browse a fake message board and get emails outside of the fake mmo client but the game itself gets dull. Once you get your grunty you can ride it in high level areas and nothing will attack you. Felt hollow.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
My primary exposure to Final Fantasy was through the first few Kingdom Hearts games before I stopped following those. I did get The Story So Far Collection that came out ahead of KH3 so I could catch up on Leon and see if his gunblade is still cool. Hmm but then I'd have to play loving Chain of Memories again...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nuns with Guns posted:

My primary exposure to Final Fantasy was through the first few Kingdom Hearts games before I stopped following those. I did get The Story So Far Collection that came out ahead of KH3 so I could catch up on Leon and see if his gunblade is still cool. Hmm but then I'd have to play loving Chain of Memories again...

Do not worry, KH3 just doesn't have any Final Fantasy stuff outside the spells.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NoiseAnnoys posted:

speaking of things that i vaguely remember being awesome but i am scared to try to revisit: serial experiments lain. dare i?

lain is great but 99% of the people online who use lain as a profile picture or put her on album covers are the worst human beings imaginable

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Alaois posted:

lain is great but 99% of the people online who use lain as a profile picture or put her on album covers are the worst human beings imaginable

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

yokohama kaidashi kikou is fated next, the stones tell me

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I allow myself one super bummer show every 4 years so based on what I’ve heard about Lain I keep putting it off.

My last one was Eva Rebuilds 3 and 4.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I'm still mad that they cancelled FF Record Keeper

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Fluffdaddy posted:

its a classic for a reason

The characters are so good but they really did stuff the end with some of the worst sidequests

The ones revolving around the main cast at the end are alright but for some reason they saw fit to absolutely bloat the gently caress out of the final chapter of the game with quests. They're all abysmal and offer very little benefit to do them and every time you finish one it opens 3 more like a loving hydra of poo poo. But if I have unfinished side quests I always feel like I need to do them or I'm going to miss some thing that might actually be cool

The back half of 16 ricochets so wildly between some of the highest highs in gaming and the absolute bottomed out pits of the worst things about modern game design. Everything on the critical path is awesome and great and tight, but all of the side stuff really works to the detriment of the game overall because it's just bloat. To their credit they gave the bloat a lot of story padding to try and make it have at least some texture but 3/4 of the side quests boil down to the same formula.

NPC: Oi, me nan's been missin' for two days, she went to investigate a rock called Bahamut's Ballsack
Clive: That sounds bad
NPC Nan: Oi, I've been investigating this rock, it's related to Bahamut somehow. Wait, look there
*4 bandits identical to the ones you were fighting five chapters ago amble up slowly in the same formation as the last twenty quests you've done*
Bandits: Oi, we'll be takin your research
Clive: *draws sword* This is one Ballsack you won't be robbing

Then you have a super boring fight and finish the quest and you get an accessory that's slightly better than one you got from the last quest, repeat until you die

I'm looking forward to a NG+ game where I can just not do the side quests and hope it changes my opinion of the game but I had a severely Persona 5-ish time with it where my hype levels were very high and it was a slow descent into what ended up feeling like a better-than-average game with some big gaping flaws in it. I hope the DLC adds some compelling reasons to play because I've been stuck at the very end of the game with no will to pick it back up because the last chapter's bloat killed my motivation

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol, and lol at the :thisagain: emoji

dragon quest 11 is 40% off again on steam! buy it!!

lol

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Alaois posted:

got episode 1 queued up as we speak

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heath posted:

The ones revolving around the main cast at the end are alright but for some reason they saw fit to absolutely bloat the gently caress out of the final chapter of the game with quests. They're all abysmal and offer very little benefit to do them and every time you finish one it opens 3 more like a loving hydra of poo poo. But if I have unfinished side quests I always feel like I need to do them or I'm going to miss some thing that might actually be cool

The back half of 16 ricochets so wildly between some of the highest highs in gaming and the absolute bottomed out pits of the worst things about modern game design. Everything on the critical path is awesome and great and tight, but all of the side stuff really works to the detriment of the game overall because it's just bloat. To their credit they gave the bloat a lot of story padding to try and make it have at least some texture but 3/4 of the side quests boil down to the same formula.

NPC: Oi, me nan's been missin' for two days, she went to investigate a rock called Bahamut's Ballsack
NPC Nan: Oi, I've been investigating this rock, it's related to Bahamut somehow. Wait, look there
*4 bandits identical to the ones you were fighting five chapters ago amble up slowly in the same formation as the last twenty quests you've done*

Then you have a super boring fight and finish the quest and you get an accessory that's slightly better than one you got from the last quest, repeat until you die

I'm looking forward to a NG+ game where I can just not do the side quests and hope it changes my opinion of the game but I had a severely Persona 5-ish time with it where my hype levels were very high and it was a slow descent into what ended up feeling like a better-than-average game with some big gaping flaws in it. I hope the DLC adds some compelling reasons to play because I've been stuck at the very end of the game with no will to pick it back up because the last chapter's bloat killed my motivation

the DLC is more of the same. first one is basically one very large dungeon with a bewildering amount of filler at the start (you spend it jogging across the countryside after three buffoonish con artists who keep doing the "hey look over there" routine to get away), the second is a new region that's mostly made up of the above sidequests, though the new powers you get are satisfyingly punchy

since you spend it with the two companion characters i was hoping for some more decent interaction with them at least, but didn't get much of that either. really called to attention how shallow 16's cast is despite being so much smaller than most of the other games

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They need to re-release Xenoblade X on the switch asap.

they do, and I will 100% it again

without muting the music

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Looks like I'll hold off on it then and just play Rebirth

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
all i wanted from rebirth was for red 13 to get a little more attention, and my wish was fulfilled beyond my wildest dreams

original-flavor red was little more than a way for square to show off their new polygonal modeling tech, rebirth red is in top-five characters for the entire franchise

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

NoiseAnnoys posted:

got episode 1 queued up as we speak

its good but yeah its one of those bits of media with a larger than average ratio of weird-rear end fans you wanna avoid talking to

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I am looking forward to the FF Magic the Gathering crossover stuff even though I generally dislike Universes Beyond because I want to make a Terra commander deck but I am afraid she is going to be yet another red blue copy instants and sorceries thing and I'll be sad

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

its good but yeah its one of those bits of media with a larger than average ratio of weird-rear end fans you wanna avoid talking to

i dont think most of the people i'm talking about have even seen the show, is the really stupid part

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

poo poo I bought Nier Automata and played the opening for like 40 minutes and ended up inside one of the two buzzsaws and died before I got a chance to save. Maybe I shouldn't be playing this when I've had a drink lol

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Heath posted:

I skipped all of the side stuff and went to the end and I enjoyed my experience.

I wanted more time with my BFF Jill and Torgal

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Alaois posted:

i dont think most of the people i'm talking about have even seen the show, is the really stupid part

I don't think these people have existed in nearly 20 years

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i havent played ff16 because it's not on pc but clive came off as a real dumbass in the ff14 crossover

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fluffdaddy posted:

I don't think these people have existed in nearly 20 years

NEET linux nerds still exist in plenty of spots on the internet
and for whatever reason they all love lain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!