Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
drat we were one month shy of a year old on that last thread. That has to be like the 2nd longest any of these threads has lasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ArfJason posted:

I dont exactly know how to describe the feeling of realizing this guy playing The Bouncer while stationed in fallujah under direct orders of big boss basically made me forget ebtirely about the yospos sex freak photographer who actually makes fairly loving chill electronic music, and how that was just 2 days ago.

That guy had his time in the sun like 4 years ago when he was liveblogging how awesome it was his wife let him open up his marriage and then liveblogged his divorce. All this recent stuff was simply a long overdue mercy killing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Leal posted:

Anthony Burch?

Unfortunately, Anthony Burch persists.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's funny seeing Speedball come up again after years of not thinking about him, and having to have friends refresh me on how he used to post his transformation fetish comic in the webcomic threads for feedback at a time where people were trying to be nicer about stuff and everyone kind of going

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

maybe thats why the dark id cut him out

He was mad it stopped updating. We all have a webcomic like that in our life.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Waffleman_ posted:

Jesus there's been like 500 posts, I need the FFXVI Active Lore System to come up here so I can catch up

The recap is you should play the Yakuza/Like a Dragon series and The Elder Scrolls 3- Morrowind.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Note Block posted:

You gotta hand it to em, they understand the importance of gaming

The genre of gaming journalist articles that are trying to position themselves has insightful or socially concerned, but which make all these weird asides about backwards cultures or strange coded wordplay are the modern day equivalent to those racist G4 TV skits.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

This is a tangent but I think my favorite Jerma moment is when the Malenia fight in Elden Ring made him so mad he put a black and white filter over the stream and started talking in a carnival barker voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxPA5Zcw60g&t=434s

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Al! posted:

covid thread poster rigging up an entire remote controlled animatronic harass free sample vendors

So that's where all the defunct chuck e cheese robots went...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

If I recall the riven rape rpgs started off as mafia games which makes it even stranger

I was looking at that thread again last week because someone pointed out it's been almost exactly a year since it went down:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027368

And this is a big post but I think it recaps how poo poo got more and more toxic and why it went so long without being called out:

Bifauxnen posted:

This sums up my feelings too.

I was in the Riven game, and the other games related to it. It'll take me a while to figure out what if anything I feel like saying about it all, since I left that community before Bees' stuff happened. But my takeaway was similar to what Meinberg said here. I considered Pod a good friend who's run some incredible games, and I believe he does have the best of intentions. But he doesn't seem to understand just how unhealthy that RP community was getting. And anyone who's tried to tell him some why either gets not taken seriously, ignored, or...whatever the hell happened in Bees' game.

Their format of games just really sucks people in, to unhealthy levels. It's like having an always-on MUD or MMORPG. It used to be based off Mafia with a dayphase and nightphase, so you RP'ed in your area during dayphase then at least had the nightphase downtime while actions got resolved and everything was closed. And even that was already too much, with people having constant FOMO and getting way too much emotional bleed from how much it was consuming their life. I used to try and mention ideas for how that could maybe be scaled back some in future games. But from what I heard, it only got worse, with people able to move to different areas freely so you weren't even limited to your one spot and group during the phase. Now you've got FOMO about everyone.

The whole culture of secrecy thing is another huge part of what makes things so harmful. I played along with some very painful things in these games. I squashed down most of my complaints over the course of six real life months, waiting for a postgame debriefing where we could talk through things properly OOC. Only for that to seem impossible, since everyone's emotions were running so high, and my having problems with a villain character being celebrated was getting conflated with making GBS threads on other people's experience. (I didn't even dislike the villain's existence at all! I just hated that people wanted to forget that he tortured my character!) And it was too hard to discuss anything around what happened with some characters in the game, since their players had already left, and it felt like some huge taboo to even mention their names. That taboo feeling is the worst. I would have been completely fine with so much hosed up poo poo, if only I'd felt like I could have properly talked it through with people out of character. I wasn't around for Bees' game, but from what I've heard, a lot of the personal hurt feelings are around that culture of just booting people out and not giving them space to be heard.

I left after that game, cause it just hurt too much to see this crowd all patting each other on the back for how great and inclusive and emotionally-switched on they were when I still felt like poo poo. And Pod tried really hard to hear me out personally, I appreciate that he tried. But poo poo was so hosed up that it wasn't enough, and when I started hearing rumours of what went down in Bees' game, I stopped trying to stay in touch cause it looked like Pod and the rest of the group hadn't even learned anything.

It's not all entirely on Pod's shoulders. All the main "storyteller" admins besides him seem to enable each other to make things more toxic. I had a lot of great moments in some of these games (and Mafia games) thanks to Podima. I wish him and even the other people I didn't get along with the best. But even me, someone who really appreciates the good stuff he's done and played these RP games with all the good-faith trust in the mods they say they need, I still got pretty hurt by the games too. And I wasn't listened to either, at least no about the stuff that mattered. It's just really sad, and it took me a lot of time and therapy to sort out how hosed up and disappointing it all was.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

pentyne posted:

Adam kobel.

Apparently up until that point he had also tried to position himself as Mr social awareness in the ttrpg field and always be all about safety and consent issues.

The event where he, while giggling non stop over describing what to him was comedy and to everyone else was sexual assault, went down so poorly that his subsequent various apologies, backtracking, then apologies turned him into such a persona non grata his peers fled from any project that had his name attached.

He deleted his twitter, and all his named social media has been inactive since.

Adam Koebel is/was an rpg designer, not a D&D streamer. He was one of the creators of Dungeon World, for instance. The instance you're thinking of was part of an actual-play channel where he was GMing a scifi game. He'd done a few other actual play like that and had some uncomfortable boundary-pushing before, but that scifi game was the worst one and the reason he had to evacuate the indie TTRPG space. I don't think he had a wife though?

Arcadum did get outed as a creep, too. His was more of the standard "cultivating fan following and predating on them" style of abuser. His abuse being called out did lead to a breakup with his wife.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

For some more fun context on those two: they were cancelled because it came out that they're really lovely towards the contractors they'd work with. Lying and rewriting work they did and bilking them on pay. Also verbally abusive and super entitled. Then other stories came out about how they're nightmares to host for events because they make demands and treat everyone around them like runners as if they were A-list celebs and not middling Dungeons & Dragons influencers.

They were working on a book that had their magic elf OCs in it like this:

DoctorWhat posted:

Koebel was involved for a long time with a woman called Bluejay, who was his partner at the time of the livestream. They've broken up since and she's talked about how bad her relationship with him had actually been for her.

Ah okay that was my vague recollection, too. He had a partner but they weren't married.

Captain Invictus posted:

he now joins Grouchio for being blown up live on stream by someone I follow. I just find it amusing when outside of SA I see a goon I am aware of, sometimes what they're doing is cool, usually it's something like this

lol... but also sigh yeah that sounds like something he'd do.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably late to this but if he was on Dungeon World that explains a lot

I'm not sure what you're picturing about DW specifically, but yeah he was cultivating a whole cutesy softboy image online and like Nick Robinson it was all a mask for his lovely creep behavior.

Nuns with Guns has a new favorite as of 06:09 on Mar 10, 2024

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Heath posted:

Why the random Hindu flavor on that elf man?

The symbols tie into his actual IRL tattoo. Why is it like that? No idea. It might tie into whatever mythology he maintains for his fitness cult, I guess?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i don't really have well-formed opinions on streamers, outside of the d&d sex creeps being obviously bad. this feels a bit like the helldump thread where one diver called out another using esoteric terminology

in conclusion, i'm annoyed my morrowind save got corrupted and lost me two days of adventuring

We should try to make "stroke" a thing. As like... whatever those scuba divers meant, that is.

I'm sorry for the loss of your Morrowind save.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I found it.

hahaha

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

But, in the end, I think, we all understand one another just a bit little more. And isn't that what Boxing Day is all about?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I liked The VVitch but it's very much a movie made by Turbo Nerds for Turbo Nerds who want period accurate pilgrim-ese. Can't wait for Eggers' Nosferatu movie this year.

Al! posted:

by contrast you see a man riped to pieces by hooks and chains within the first 5 minutes of hellraiser; the perfect horror movie

Hellraiser is good, too. I watched the 2nd, 4th, and 6th Friday the 13th movies with friends last October, and I think I liked them progressively less as the movies started having more plot and clearly were forced into having fewer and less interesting onscreen kills.

Nuns with Guns has a new favorite as of 23:21 on Mar 11, 2024

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

lobster shirt posted:

its my most controversial but most correcft opinion

Gameplay-wise it's absolutely the best and I almost want to replay it just to try out a different class. But then I'd have to play through the back half of the story. Plus, outside of multiplayer the enemy variety is really limited, and the Legendary Edition did not port the multiplayer. Maybe if the most common enemies weren't the Cerberus troopers with the grunts and screams I find annoying...

:rip:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
2 is fine for the most part, but people were convinced there'd be so many variations on the outcomes of things set up in 2 that they were replaying it a dozen times to have alternate choice paths available in 3 so they could relish all the outcomes (lol)

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I endured 1 which is the worst one.

1 at least lets you do really hilarious physics things with biotics and send enemies sailing into the stratosphere. Plus rolling over things in the Mako and ramming the big geth walkers off cliffs was funny. We let them take away all our freedoms in the sequels.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'd say the biggest issue with 2 and 3 in retrospect is they hosed up the order of objectives. 2 should've been "The reapers are here, we need to assemble a crack team to go and do something to weaken them!" and then idk have the choice be between nuking a ton of them or hijacking them and gently caress whatever the green ending was supposed to be.

Then 3 should've been "We severely weakened them but we need to send your squad of bad dudes on a suicide mission final push to save the day!"

But this wasn't helped by all the behind-the-scenes drama, burnout, EA pressure, and turnover meaning that they couldn't actually keep track of consistent writing styles between all 3 games anyway.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

lobster shirt posted:

i really hate the overlord dlc for me 2 and it has detailed several attempts to replay the series. it sucks!

That's the one where a Cerberus scientist decides to plug his autistic brother into a computer to talk to robots right?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alaois posted:

It feels like a quest that was written by a guy who broke into the CDPR office one day and they couldnt get him to leave

To be fair, Elon apparently had a flintlock pistol.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Of all the things you could say about Dragon Ball/Toriyama and female characters um… I really can’t think of any curvy women? Launch has boobies I guess?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

pentyne posted:

I don't understand how any grown adult who has children knows enough about anime to watch newly released shows yet is not smart enough to read

There's been a few places where I've seen Dungeon Meshi pushed as a "wholesome" and "chill" comedy series, presumably by people who have never actually read the dang manga. People are going to be in for a rude awakening in the next episode or two when the dorky elf everyone memes on enacts a forbidden ancient blood magic ritual and then poo poo goes downhill from there. Like it's not a grim and edgy story, but it does not shy away from violence and is more than happy to dip into fantastical body horror at dramatically appropriate moments.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm confused..What was transphobic about the ending to Cyberpunk.

It’s one of those things where I guess it could be problematic if you squint and twist yourself up right?

There’s a few different ending options around if you let the player character delete Johnny Silverhand from your brain or not. In the ending where you let the player character’s self “die” and let Johnny take your body over, he ends the game by implying he’ll mod the body to his preferences. So there’s an implication he’ll swap out the genitals and voice and stuff but also he might not since it’s one ambiguous sentence.

Like even contemplating this is opening up complicated hypotheticals about how you handle giving your whole body over to a distinctly different person as your last wish before death and crap in an alternate future reality where every aspect of your mind and body are as swappable as computer parts.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Endorph posted:

that seems the opposite of transphobic because if johnny is the only person in the body then why shouldnt he make it suit his gender identity.

One would think.

And nothing’s stopping you from reading into Johnny changing as a person and not making his new body Keanu 2.0. He starts out as an abusive, toxically masculine voice in your head who also tries to goad you into suicide and keeps making whiny edgelord remarks about everything. And as the game progresses he can make peace and maybe change? Feels like some metaphors at play.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Violen posted:

can we get the guy who kept asking about lore back instead

He made a post saying he was satisfied with the lore and bidding farewell right before that stuff with TheDarkID happened. Maybe he could sense a change in the direction of the winds?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

pentyne posted:

Even better was that the whole Star Citizen thread purge was because when Hogwarts Legacy discussion started a 'valued' poster wanted to chide everyone who was criticizing JKR

Eating a week probation and running off into the wilderness to cry about it and never return while your friends treat it like a real forum ban is funny but also peak Maidenless behavior.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

symbolic posted:

any Ween fans in chat

Oh man... are there any surviving artifacts from when ArfJason trolled PHIZ with Ween?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
God a new release of Alpha Protocol... just before Dragon's Dogma 2 Eve. How does anyone keep up with all these good games?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Oh man... are there any surviving artifacts from when ArfJason trolled PHIZ with Ween?

I found it

PHIZ › what are you listening to
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2982220&userid=179334

ArfJason posted:

feelin like some heavy metal so i put on ween

ArfJason posted:

Switching gears: that's right fellas, early Ween

ArfJason posted:

just a little something to pass the time

ArfJason posted:

Hallo-Ween

ArfJason posted:

[to noone in particular]: ween

ArfJason posted:

ween

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ArfJason posted:

Ween.

ArfJason posted:

Same here, acutally.

ArfJason posted:

Mephistopheles choice: ween or hellbitch

ArfJason posted:

Ween.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Remembering when SA used its cesspool powers to get r/jailbait closed

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

pentyne posted:

yeah it was the pride and joy of the same goon who proudly wrote several chapters of A Game of Bones, the SA goon project to write porn versions of the book series.

It's beautiful how Something Awful is a land of contrasts, isn't it?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Meowywitch posted:

I forgot is that worms butthole guy or somebody else

The crazy rereg numbers guy was "ErrorInvalidUser" and a few other names. He's the one who tried to sue the forums and his local post office and poo poo. Now he's registering those multiple accounts per day that are just the date with that day's latest account on it like 032224_4. He's bought hundreds of accounts, sometimes with platinum so he can also report things.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Potassium Problems posted:

finished an elden ring playthrough to get ready for the dlc

Same... only have the Haligtree and that stuff with the Fire Giant and afterwards to finish. But I also took a break to do some Dragon's Dogma 2.

Anyway protip with pawns: any pawns from people on your friend's list are free to hire. Make some friends or I guess go ask the DD thread in Games for some quick people to add.

So far in Dragon's Dogma 2: I had some camping kits but they were heavy so I put them on my friend's pawns. I was hopping around some rocks by the river and then one of them jumped in and died. Oops. A little while later an ogre stepped out from behind some ruins. I climbed up to stab it in the face, but it decided to grab the other friend's pawn, get down on all fours, and run off with us both. Except it's pathing got weird and it as it turned onto a bridge it power drifted off and took us all in the river to our deaths. So I was out the other pawn and camping kit, but I did get a level off it!

Anyway I guess don't use your hired pawns as pack mules. The rest of the jog to the main city was a bit rough, but I did get good at climbing up a cyclops, and I learned to pick up zombies and throw them off cliffs into the water.

:eng99:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Is the game having a bunch of schmucks with no real will of their own as weird to people who have played the game as it sounds to me

I think they’re like… echoes of people from other realities basically? They only really have a personality of sorts when an Arisen (player character) is around to anchor them.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I’m personally rooting for the pregnant wife guy. I hope he makes it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm really proud of my pawn in DD2. I was playing fighter, picking up and chucking goblins with shields or ones that were getting too close to my mage pawn. Then when I swapped to archer and put her on thief, she saw a goblin was menacing me, and rushed over to pick up and chuck it away. :3:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Just got to wait for the more normal next gen people who register and quietly lurk for the standard 2-year period to feel confident about their posting jutsu and come out of their shells.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

There are zoomers on other websites that can post normal.

Yeah but those are the same places millennials and gen-xers post normal and we all know what cruel fate awaits those people.

Anyway going after Seth in the GBS Trump thread feels a lot like rolling up to the Joker’s converted carnival funhouse lair to challenge him to a clown-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

TBLALV posted:

I'm a rereg who lost their old account access and needed to lurk for two more years to start posting again thank you very much

cumpantry posted:

i'm trying

You’re all doing a great job. You all qualify for participation trophies 🏆