Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

drat we were one month shy of a year old on that last thread. That has to be like the 2nd longest any of these threads has lasted.

they tend to die a dramatic death, either straight to the goldmine or taken behind the dumpster and shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Do we still have someone in that discord? Are they melting down or doubling down?

also curious, for all the screenshots directly from discord, if TDI nukes the discord entirely does it also then wipe the stored screenshots?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he may have also created and been the sole editor of his own tvtropes page and its longer than most pages on the website

its the same length as the taylor swift tvtropes page

edit: correction, it is longer

22702 words.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Mar 5, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

The Dark Id was a popular Let's Player on the Something Awful forums. He has (as of this time of writing) completed 26 Let's Plays (although, strictly speaking, two pairs of those were combined in two joint threads). All but two of them are featured on the LP Archive. Known for his wit, Alternative Character Interpretations, and low tolerance for annoying things.

Took a long hiatus following the death of his daughter in 2019, eventually quitting LPing in 2022, after Square Enix issued several copyright strikes resulting in the deletion of his youtube channel. He is either dead or had every aspect of his life revealed as a lie as of March 3, 2024.

Twitter pagePatreon page

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing a bunch of grown rear end adults he tried to hijack a plane after 9/11 and was still a free man.

tbf there's still at least one goon who believes TheDarkId was a truth teller and that all the discord screenshots are faked

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

people on his discord are not talking about any of this at all, it's very surreal, they're just talking about random poo poo on the same channel where he said he was going to die right there and then

usually the cult members will follow their leader off the cliff

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

squeenix copyright striked his youtube channel yeah, but the discord is still up

do you really think that happened?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

just for fun i looked it up and PEI's homicide rate is so low that there are multiple years last decade with zero homicides. anyway i am going to kill 30 armed gang members here.

wtf I thought he was living in like eastern europe or something when he posted that

how the gently caress can anyone believe that in Canada a man fought off and killed a gang of dozens of neo-nazis, leaving corpses all over his property like nbd?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

There are millions of people currently living in the US who literally believe any city larger than 50k inhabitants is an active warzone.

i would assume, based on no evidence, that most of those people aren't on discord with anime and furry pfps clamoring to support a person who is famous for playing certain jrpgs, describing it while injecting his own "sarcastic wit" into the text.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Stux posted:

concern troll is such a legendary term. instantly morphed from pretending to agree w people but trying to subtley gently caress with them to "made fun of me for doing something weird/insane" lol

brigading outsiders

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

normally you can tell who they are by the exaggerated swagger of a ranged shooter

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
fondly remember the goon hating on Elden Ring because it doesn't tell you where to go when there is a glowing golden trail leading you to the major destination

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
resetera getting furious at a woman gamer who beat Elden Ring with her feet, claiming she was mocking disabled people

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Eurogamer guy who said that the lack of explicit direction made Tears of the Kingdom inaccessible to people with Long Covid

Nintendo hates the Long Covids. They even have a slur they use to refer to them: Longers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I can also get lost in games like Witcher 3 or modern Zelda games too but that's because they have other things that keep my interest longer

people always want to blame Witcher 3 for the whole "MC narrates the entire game" but that is the number one example of making it work, because Geralt is offering details about the game world, ruminating on weird observations, complaining about poo poo, and can literally get things wrong during the detective stuff if you don't find the right clues.

Meanwhile GoW and Horizon give you 15 seconds before going "huh, maybe I need to push that red block into the red hole?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I just bought the Xenoblade 3 amiibos for $47 on amazon because Gamestop wants to charge $15 shipping to get them new so it's still cheaper.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
A lot of VA is only a priority because someone high up really wants to to shine, or they get big name actors to do it and have to put in the real effort.

Otherwise they send the VA excel files with the lines in alphabetical order and a deadline to finish the recordings by.

Not sure if they can hire non-union for the VA work, I'm sure some places have tried every trick in the book to cut those costs down.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

(racist youtuber from austrialia) we say the n word all the time here it is only racist in america

i don't understand why we can't say the word, what else can we call those specific types of nuts?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

send the request to Jeff, I know he's super cagey about revealing who buys AVs but if TheDarkId or his alt bought that it's absolutely worth knowing

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i'm automatically distrusting anyone who says their avatar was changed by third parties for, you know, reasons

"furiously not masturbating to anime titties guy" is sweating buckets now

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
playing Dragons Dogma for the first time, it keeps launching in offline mode. are the pawn servers down or something?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
all this talk of chrono trigger and no mention of its spiritual sequel I Am Setsuna, at least I assume spiritual sequel as the first line of their store description mentions Chrono Trigger along with nearly all their promo ads.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the spiritual sequel to chrono trigger is blue dragon. topic locked

for all the poo poo people give old games popping up on Steam for $50 or more, I would easily pay that for an as is version of Blue Dragon.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The search begins.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

The DQM2 guide book I had since the sixth grade is one of my treasures.

drat does Nintendo know about those? Everybody be stealing pokemon designs these days.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
its gonna come out Toriyama worked like a fraction as hard as modern manga authors and still managed to be the biggest thing the industry has every created

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol every other mangaka: my job is hell... i work all week i never get to see my family

toriyama: lol just do it on the last day and turn it in at the last possible minute dude

Tite Kubo: just use more white space morons

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I suddenly remember that the insane "secret trans creator is the ancestor of all modern japanese gave development" was also a Let's Play saga that included multiple people who believed some of the most bald faced idiotic poo poo possible and got genuinely angry when anyone pointed it out.

Sibyl Disobedience posted:

20k words saying literally all JRPG games are conclusively linked via things such as "sunflowers"

Actually knowing this creator existed would have meant a lot to me growing up, but even not knowing about them and also not understanding myself, their stories resonated with me in a way I’m only fully piecing together decades later. There are so many fan theories out there about this or that character being trans. In Final Fantasy 7 alone we have Cloud, Aerith, and even Sephiroth. But the thing that sucks is that so many people feel the need to preface these theories with “obviously, this probably wasn’t intended by the writers, but…” No, gently caress that. The Creator was one of our own, and so of course these stories are ours. That doesn’t mean the characters themselves have to be canonically trans. It’s genuinely a great thing if those stories resonate with cis people too. Because that makes them shared stories, and maybe that shared space can help us learn to better empathize with each other. But for this to happen, it’s necessary to establish that the trans readings are not merely fan theories. They were the genesis.

The first step on this journey will be going back to the Age of the Ancients and deciphering how the very first of these games were made, and rebuild that history with a handful of new assumptions:

1. There’s at least one major contributor missing from official history
2. They were some variant of transgender
3. They were forced out in the early 1990s
4. Their design philosophy was carried over to both the Souls games as well as the Nier series
5. Nearly everything is an allegory

It’s a set of assumptions that has completely changed the way I look at video games in the most wonderful of ways. I am in complete and utter awe. Something actually beautiful has taken place here. The patterns are too intricate to have arisen purely by chance, and I’m confident that I’m not imagining them. For one, I’m nowhere near imaginative enough to come up with something like this on my own. I’m also frankly far too cynical.

Endorph posted:

i think fiction can reference gender without it being part of an interlocking intergenerational conspiracy involving a trans person youve made up in your head, and id really like it if you could stop pursuing this line of 'logic' because its utterly deranged and unhealthy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The thread rallied behind its prophet

Vandar posted:

So...I almost wonder if it would be worth like, looking at the credits for early Final Fantasy games and cross-referencing them with the credits of some of From's output, and seeing if there's any crossover there.

Carpator Diei posted:

this thread in general is legitimately the best interpretation of themes and storytelling methods in videogames I've ever encountered, and I don't think that hinges on whether the premise behind it is correct.

Squibsy posted:

Agreed. Regardless of truth or correctness, reading this thread is both entertaining and interesting.

DurianGray posted:

I think what Sibyl has done, in finding a shape of a possible anonymous creator in the negative spaces of these games, is far more interesting than a simple "look at this explicit motif that kept showing up." Even if the shape-of-a-person she's found ends up being a case of pareidolia, the shape is still there and I think it's still well worth considering why and how. And it's not like professional/academic textual analysis isn't already full of speculation and analysis just like this.

And then the entire thing died one page later as the OP, Sibyl, then got completely obsessed with Elden Ring, getting into online fights about whether the ErdTree is techinically a parasite or not, and then was convinced of major specific FF14 events being directly referenced in ER.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Mar 9, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dongicus posted:

didn't rhe riven erp rape game take forever to get called out as well lol

4 separate threads

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
what the gently caress Dragons Dogma 2?

"let's put youtubers into our games" was a Yakuza specific thing not a general aspiration

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Gamers rise up

quote:

Krysta: TODAY! My pawn is here to bring chaos energy to all your adventures. Let's gooooo!

quote:

Maximilian:The original Dragon's Dogma offered one of the most unique adventures we experienced back when it came out. I'm looking forward to Dragon's Dogma 2 and how it can surpase that scale, combat and sense of accomplishment.

quote:

Snuffy: Hey I’m Snuffy! My pawn will have the deadliest ability known to the realm!

quote:

FightinCowboy: Every party needs a carry, lucky for you I do a lot of lifting.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

the real comedy was

- it only actually got called out because one of the people involved became an admin, and
- someone kramered into the thread to yell that it was their riven rape rp, the admin was just helping run it

One of the other participants also felt the need to accuse Bees, the person calling it out, of harvesting private communications as well.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
But C&C Generals is like insanely racist though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Al! posted:

ive only received a couple of unsolicited nudes, as a C tier poster, but i imagine forum superstars are drowning in weird dick

And not the good kind like you'd want.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

I was looking at that thread again last week because someone pointed out it's been almost exactly a year since it went down:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027368

And this is a big post but I think it recaps how poo poo got more and more toxic and why it went so long without being called out:

one nice piece of info to come out of that whole debacle was that roleplay communities have had more or less established standard rules for managing how to introduce topics like rape and sexual assault, it's not something anyone ever tries to argue without outing themselves as a freak of freaks.

some DnD streamer lucked into massive viral success and was chosen to host a live game as a DM with some popular streamers, and then he tried to drop some surprise content on them and it went over so poorly his career literally ended after that stream and his wife divorced him (may have been unrelated)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
these posts are not even a year old and the imgur links are already dead, what are we using for images now?

everythingWasBees posted:

here's the warnings we were given (in a discord comment because we don't have access to the original anymore). none of this talked about the sex dolls. a lot of the content wasnt discussed. whenever someone raised concerns we were told to " trust the staff and the writers."

this is a pretty lengthy list! you could usually assume it to be exhaustive. you usually don't expect there to be a racist Korean caricature with sex dolls and a fixation on "supreme leader" but hey I guess we were meant to expect that.

we were also told repeatedly that " Yeah some of the stuff hasn't aged well. we're going to be spending a few months going through and editing and rewriting things because of that."

renessia posted:

This was Pod's response to some folks expressing concern over how the sex-doll game was being handled.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

arcadum. sorry for knowing this

Adam kobel.

Apparently up until that point he had also tried to position himself as Mr social awareness in the ttrpg field and always be all about safety and consent issues.

The event where he, while giggling non stop over describing what to him was comedy and to everyone else was sexual assault, went down so poorly that his subsequent various apologies, backtracking, then apologies turned him into such a persona non grata his peers fled from any project that had his name attached.

He deleted his twitter, and all his named social media has been inactive since.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Marcade posted:

Like one of the last times I ever did ttrpg. DM tried to roleplay his DMPC faerie dragon waking my character up with a bj. Just picked up my stuff and walked out mid session. No idea wtf he was thinking.

drat you play with GBS posters?

be specific, was his faerie dragon the male, female, or elusive femme-male?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Marcade posted:

It's been 25 years or so but as far as I recall it was basically him as a dragon. Which I suppose raises further questions.

drat guess he failed his rizz check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I had a stream of FF7R2 on in the background while making dinner when suddenly I hear him lose it at a random chatter for backseating when it's revealed they've never played the game and don't even own a PS5 but have been telling him what to do
https://twitch.tv/videos/2077805513?t=3314s

that chatter being MonsterEnvy, better known as the goon who spent hundreds of dollars on vtuber superchats

he now joins Grouchio for being blown up live on stream by someone I follow. I just find it amusing when outside of SA I see a goon I am aware of, sometimes what they're doing is cool, usually it's something like this

for reference on MonsterEnvy not only was it a "red" which I believe is a $100 minimum but it may be different on twitch, it was to backseat her game as well

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think it’s a desire to be noticed at least it was in my case. I sent Pomu a Red a few days ago, without thinking too much about it. Despite that being a silly mistake ultimately. As I can’t really afford to spend money like that on nothing. It’s been my only red and I don’t want to get into a bad habit of super chatting like I have been doing spending 200 or so on them like I did this month. (On multiple people.)

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don’t find Hololive doing that too much. As they know they get too many.

I only ever did it this month, and I have no intention of making it a habit as I regretted the Red right away. (Also it was anime boys as well spent 40 on Ike and Vox too. Which I also regret.) this is the first month I had ever spent more then 30$ on super chats. (Most months it’s 0) I was just out of it for a few days.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am financially stable, it’s just was stupid of me to waste that money on that instead of other stuff. Like as a one time thing it does not hurt me, but it’s not something I will repeat as it ate the rest of my disposable income for the month.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Better then my Red, we’re I told her the controls to Gangbeasts and while she read it, did not understand it until much later. (Though it did lead to the funny trying to lift people without grabbing them)

MonsterEnvy posted:

I hate the thread shitters. Along with the accusations of pedofilla, when these people are almost all actual real life adults, and most of us are not sexually attracted to them. (Or at least not the ones intended to look like Children)