Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
hey yall! my normal office is closed for repairs today, so I’m a digital nomad! currently posted up in the break room in one of our other offices and sipping a complimentary espresso. going to find a quiet hotel space in a little bit, then later I have to find somewhere private to join a meeting. it’s like a little vacation, except I still have to work. the coffee is nice though

anyone else living the life? I’d love to hear your stories :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah op i have a sprinter van converted to a camper and i post my adventures on instagram. 2 hours a day of coding, 4 hours of posting and managing my socials, 1 hour of filming and 4 hours of editing.

i do get into a lot of arguments with my spouse since it’s so cramped in here tho

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

digital? no, mad!

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

git apologist posted:

digital? no, mad!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
friend of ours went on the digital nomad life around the world a little before covid with his very longtime girlfriend. they posted pictures of all their travels a lot, loved it. then like two years ago he has a wife (that is not the girlfriend) that we found out about on an instagram pic and nobody knows anything about her lol

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Silver Alicorn posted:

complimentary espresso

the best kind :yum:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I'm really more of a digital homebody

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

git apologist posted:

digital? no, mad!

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
At hospital, now digit all no mad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

digital nomad, aka committing tax fraud and violating the terms of your tourist visa

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

there was a canadian guy that weighed like 350 lbs at the restaurant we visited recently who was alone and sparked up some conversation with my friend

he said he was an it consultant, identified himself as a digital nomad, and said he was currently attending a “virtual conference” that he occasionally put his headphones in to listen to

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bullshit. canadians would use kilograms. very weird post either way

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

bullshit. canadians would use kilograms. very weird post either way

lol nobody in canada would use kilos to describe personal weight

as you expect it’s a weird mix of the us and terfidious albion

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How long are you going to be notmading?

Not really living it full time. I can only work abroad for a month per year for tax/insurance reasons and there isn't anywhere locally I'd need or want to nomad in when I can drive there from home within a few hours. The other limitation is that this is still a corpo job so while the hours are somewhat flexible, I can't blow off meetings or just randomly be unavailable because the power/internet went down in some shithole I'm staying at. Also need quiet and private spaces for some meetings, and a big monitor really helps.

Still, trying to take advantage of the situation to mix things up.
  • I just spent two weeks in Spain, staying in hostels but going to our local offices in Spain and Barcelona to work.
  • The last week of my trip to Costa Rica was after my vacation and I just worked (a little, everyone was still off) remotely from the beach in Tortuguero.
  • Next winter I'm thinking of going to something like Malaysia (maybe, haven't checked the visa situation) for two months, working for one month and doing day/weekend trips nearby. Then taking ~3 weeks off for other destinations in SAE.
  • A few years ago I bought a first-gen Honda Fit for a rally, it survived it and I still have it as a beater. It could make for a nice minimalist camper to drive around southern Europe without shelling out $100k on an RV. A power station and solar panel is probably all the extra equipment I'd need.

Overall it's fun to add some variety and see new things and do stuff. On the other hand, it can be pretty frustrating to be in some exciting new place and have to sit and work all day, especially if you're there for a fairly limited time as I tend to be. Like I was in Valencia between Barcelona and Madrid and just wasn't able to see some of the stuff because there was literally no time, but I had to move on. More of a problem if I stay in the same timezone and everything closes by the time I'm off. It can also end up costing quite a lot of money to, again, sit and work in a hotel all day, especially if paying NA or European prices for accomodation and eating out.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

mediaphage posted:

lol nobody in canada would use kilos to describe personal weight

as you expect it’s a weird mix of the us and terfidious albion

yea lol

this graphic is very true

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

digital nomad, aka committing tax fraud and violating the terms of your tourist visa

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

im more of a digital vagrant, op

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

faxlore posted:

same except digital degenerate

that would be a good username hm

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

OldAlias posted:

yea lol

this graphic is very true

ya that is pretty spot on

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

AlbertFlasher posted:

ya that is pretty spot on

what about alcohol? when you go to the bar, do you get a pint?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Poopernickel posted:

yes

we also used ounces for weed up until it became legal and now everyone uses grams. you don't gently caress around and smoke an ounce to this anymore, you gently caress around and smoke 28g

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

git apologist posted:

digital? no, mad!

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Poopernickel posted:

Yes but our pints are 568ml (20 fl oz) instead of 473ml (16 fl oz) which you get in the US because of the hold over when we used imperial.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

that just sounds like too much beer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it ends up the same, because of the canadian exchange rate

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
more like digital monads

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

rotor posted:

more like digital gonads

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

a digital nomad is just a digital nomoid in the category of endofuckers, what’s the problem?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

also ive seen coke sold in 250mL, 500mL, and 591mL plastic bottles since i moved here lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pepsi has stuck to the 591mL (20oz) bottle sizes, coke has dropped to 500mL but charges the same price (lol up to $3.99 occasionally for a goddamned <20oz sodurr pop wtf)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

more like digital monads

hello

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

faxlore posted:

tell me your story

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

faxlore posted:

i like to think of myself as more of a digital roustabout

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you're definitely a digital guy, rotor, after all you were there for the invention of zero and thats half of the equation

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i keep thinking id like to try the digital nomad life, seeing as i work for a fully remote company with no coworkers in a US timezone anyway, but then remember that it kinda sucks to work out of an airbnb with none of my poo poo other than what fits in a suitcase. it's not like i actually have the energy to go ~experience the world~ after work anyway, and posting's the same wherever you do it

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

posting's the same wherever you do it

real poo poo

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

i keep thinking id like to try the digital nomad life, seeing as i work for a fully remote company with no coworkers in a US timezone anyway, but then remember that it kinda sucks to work out of an airbnb with none of my poo poo other than what fits in a suitcase. it's not like i actually have the energy to go ~experience the world~ after work anyway, and posting's the same wherever you do it

sounds more like a digital ronin, imho

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

posting's the same wherever you do it

yep.

like I've spent a long time bringing all the things I like and all the things that make me happy and comfortable into my home. Why would I leave?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

pepsi has stuck to the 591mL (20oz) bottle sizes, coke has dropped to 500mL but charges the same price (lol up to $3.99 occasionally for a goddamned <20oz sodurr pop wtf)

soda companies would have to pay _me_ before I would drink that poison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Poopernickel posted:

soda companies would have to pay _me_ before I would drink that poison

:goonsay: