Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How long are you going to be notmading?

Not really living it full time. I can only work abroad for a month per year for tax/insurance reasons and there isn't anywhere locally I'd need or want to nomad in when I can drive there from home within a few hours. The other limitation is that this is still a corpo job so while the hours are somewhat flexible, I can't blow off meetings or just randomly be unavailable because the power/internet went down in some shithole I'm staying at. Also need quiet and private spaces for some meetings, and a big monitor really helps.

Still, trying to take advantage of the situation to mix things up.
  • I just spent two weeks in Spain, staying in hostels but going to our local offices in Spain and Barcelona to work.
  • The last week of my trip to Costa Rica was after my vacation and I just worked (a little, everyone was still off) remotely from the beach in Tortuguero.
  • Next winter I'm thinking of going to something like Malaysia (maybe, haven't checked the visa situation) for two months, working for one month and doing day/weekend trips nearby. Then taking ~3 weeks off for other destinations in SAE.
  • A few years ago I bought a first-gen Honda Fit for a rally, it survived it and I still have it as a beater. It could make for a nice minimalist camper to drive around southern Europe without shelling out $100k on an RV. A power station and solar panel is probably all the extra equipment I'd need.

Overall it's fun to add some variety and see new things and do stuff. On the other hand, it can be pretty frustrating to be in some exciting new place and have to sit and work all day, especially if you're there for a fairly limited time as I tend to be. Like I was in Valencia between Barcelona and Madrid and just wasn't able to see some of the stuff because there was literally no time, but I had to move on. More of a problem if I stay in the same timezone and everything closes by the time I'm off. It can also end up costing quite a lot of money to, again, sit and work in a hotel all day, especially if paying NA or European prices for accomodation and eating out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU