Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Songbearer posted:

and I'm inside yoooooooou

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You know those creepy stories of having remnants of twins still in their bodies as grown adults, and these remnants have been growing too?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

redshirt posted:

You know those creepy stories of having remnants of twins still in their bodies as grown adults, and these remnants have been growing too?

Sometimes tumors grow hair and teeth and poo poo too

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

redshirt posted:

No, I don't

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Grey Cat can't hear you whippersnappers very well... she needs hearin' grey-ds!! I hope she doesn't develop cat-aracts!!! What's next, whiskers on her chin?! She better be careful with that blood pressure, else that cat will have a stroke!! Time for her to reup on her medicine paw-scriptions!! She's so old I bet she has some real tall tails!!!! Hope her fangs don't fall out or she'll need dent-mew-ers!! Be real embarrassing if she wound up with a clawlostomy bag!!!!! She gets sad when she doesn't hear from her grandkids, they never collar!!

cat

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

...! posted:

No, I don't

Little teeth growing hairs inside WICKED children!!

Sorry meant to post that in the teeth thread.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Songbearer posted:

Grey Cat can't hear you whippersnappers very well... she needs hearin' grey-ds!! I hope she doesn't develop cat-aracts!!! What's next, whiskers on her chin?! She better be careful with that blood pressure, else that cat will have a stroke!! Time for her to reup on her medicine paw-scriptions!! She's so old I bet she has some real tall tails!!!! Hope her fangs don't fall out or she'll need dent-mew-ers!! Be real embarrassing if she wound up with a clawlostomy bag!!!!! She gets sad when she doesn't hear from her grandkids, they never collar!!

cat

:chanpop:
Furgot a mew jokes there. Almost purrfect.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

oh yeah, tinnitus, too. My mom's side of the family has always been prone to it, I've had it since childhood, and I really did a great job by *checks notes* playing drums and going to metal concerts without earpro for 25-30 years

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

oh yeah, tinnitus, too. My mom's side of the family has always been prone to it, I've had it since childhood, and I really did a great job by *checks notes* playing drums and going to metal concerts without earpro for 25-30 years

Little tiny, like super tiny, cymbal hi-hat, just going you know.....

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Grey Cat posted:

That's right, I, Grey Cat, have grey hairs now. That means I'm officially old. My life as a young person is over so just cart me off to the old folks home already.

My entire life is now everyone else's problem so watch out:
I'm going to start using early bird specials.
I'm going to register as a hard right conservative.
I'm going to sit out front and get mad at kids riding their bicycles referring to them as riffraff and hoodlums. "KIDS THESE DAYS!" I yell as I shake my fist :argh:
And you better believe I'm going to drive 20 under the speed limit from now on.

I am now accepting questions on my grey hairs and cool new nickname suggestions that fit my aging appearance such as "grandma" and "that old person."

I have had grey hairs in my beard since I could grow one. I'll call you grandma if you want
:shrug:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

redshirt posted:

Little tiny, like super tiny, cymbal hi-hat, just going you know.....

I don't think 5 years in an aseptic cleanroom helped, either

8000 HEPA (ok thats an exaggeration) doing ~600 5000ft3 air changes/hour go FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 23, 2024

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I don't even know what a cat is

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

...! posted:

I don't even know what a cat is

It's a fuzzy round thing that gets angry when you use it to play the drums from Phil Collins' "In The Air Tonight" on its bum bum

Source: ow my hand :(

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

MrQwerty posted:

i've played drums since childhood and always had a lighter touch on them out of necessity. playing louder without ear plugs was too uncomfortable, even painful. i think my hearing is still unusually sensitive despite going to live music and drumming. it must be due to constantly having earbud headphones i could use as protection if needed. i've heard that even an 8 hour airplane flight can cause damage as it's a sustained medium/high level. constant in ear headphones for life

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Songbearer posted:

It's a fuzzy round thing that gets angry when you use it to play the drums from Phil Collins' "In The Air Tonight" on its bum bum

Source: ow my hand :(

Oh so that guy who punched me in the face is one of those cat things

Interesting :thunk:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

MrQwerty posted:

I've also had Tinnitus since I can remember. I had a lot of ear surgery as a tot so I'm not sure if that caused it or made it worse. Also missing eardrum layers not sure if related :shrug:

It's gotten bad enough lately I've thought of looking into hearing aids. This would also increase my old person look.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Grey Cat posted:

I've also had Tinnitus since I can remember. I had a lot of ear surgery as a tot so I'm not sure if that caused it or made it worse. Also missing eardrum layers not sure if related :shrug:

It's gotten bad enough lately I've thought of looking into hearing aids. This would also increase my old person look.

Do you have an AARP card yet? Or a mobility scooter catalog?

https://mymobilitystore.com/product-category/mobility-scooters/

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I don't have AARP I'm not old enough yet :( And idk how it compares to USAA.

But I've driven a golf cart before, does that count?

E: Sweet catalog, thanks!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Grey Cat took the last green jelly cup at Golden Corral

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Go get checked out if for no reason to find out if they can help you. Hearing aids can't help all forms of hearing loss.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

That isn't very reassuring. I just always crank up my headphones or tv to hear over the ringing.

Or the classic, "WHAT?"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Grey Cat posted:

That isn't very reassuring. I just always crank up my headphones or tv to hear over the ringing.

Or the classic, "WHAT?"

WHAT?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Grey Cat posted:

Or the classic, "WHAT?"

NERD!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Grey Cat posted:

Or the classic, "WHAT?"

mine comes and goes but man when it comes it's like a 500+Hz tone directly into the left side of my brain

...!
Oct 5, 2003

whoa! :mods:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Or the classic, "WHAT?"

I'm pretty much deaf in my left ear from some childhood illness, but its an "odd" deafness in that I can actually still register sound. I can tell if you're clapping or speaking or there's a dog barking in that ear. So that's cool. But I can't understand anything from that ear, it's like nothing. You could whisper straight in my left ear and I would know you are whispering but have only about 10% chance of understanding anything. And so as you can extrapolate, a hearing aid - which does nothing but amplify noise - would do nothing to help my hearing issue.

But go get checked out, all of you! If you think you're having hearing issues. Hearing aids CAN help a lot of people.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

I'm pretty much deaf in my left ear from some childhood illness, but its an "odd" deafness in that I can actually still register sound. I can tell if you're clapping or speaking or there's a dog barking in that ear. So that's cool. But I can't understand anything from that ear, it's like nothing. You could whisper straight in my left ear and I would know you are whispering but have only about 10% chance of understanding anything. And so as you can extrapolate, a hearing aid - which does nothing but amplify noise - would do nothing to help my hearing issue.

But go get checked out, all of you! If you think you're having hearing issues. Hearing aids CAN help a lot of people.

WHAT?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Huh huh Mumpy that's the joke. But let me tell you for real at some point you just stop asking what and go on, not really understanding what people are saying sometimes. You'd be amazed how often a head nod, eye lock, and an "yup" is enough apparently to have a conversation.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Huh huh Mumpy that's the joke. But let me tell you for real at some point you just stop asking what and go on, not really understanding what people are saying sometimes. You'd be amazed how often a head nod, eye lock, and an "yup" is enough apparently to have a conversation.

I know my man. Was just being a pain in the rear end. We cool?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Hot spicy old man chat happening right now itt

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I know my man. Was just being a pain in the rear end. We cool?

We cool

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

Hot spicy old man chat happening right now itt

looks like someone is jealous

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

looks like someone is jealous

I just want to be part of you and redshirt's lemon party :sigh:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

I just want to be part of you and redshirt's lemon party :sigh:

All are welcome friend! I was just trying to share some basics about hearing loss which can actually impact folks at any age.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

All are welcome friend! I was just trying to share some basics about hearing loss which can actually impact folks at any age.

plus Redshirt is still in his 30's he isn't an old man yet

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

plus Redshirt is still in his 30's he isn't an old man yet

I will forever be a vigorous 33.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Man I miss Gutter Phoenix, he would be a great addition to the old people thread

...!
Oct 5, 2003

WHAT?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

redshirt posted:

woah, so do you know if this is actually brain damage instead of ear damage?

i guess they'd probably have to put you in one of the fancy mri scanners that show brain activity to know for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Klyith posted:

woah, so do you know if this is actually brain damage instead of ear damage?

i guess they'd probably have to put you in one of the fancy mri scanners that show brain activity to know for sure

Maybe. They gave me some long technical term for it but I forgot it and don't care, because as soon as I learn "no treatment possible" I just stop caring about it and go on with my life.