Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I’m all aboard the MHJr pick @ 3 now.

I feel like it’s a huge risk these days taking any QB top 5 and having it end up being a huge miss. I’m sure Daniels is an exciting pick @ 3 but with no superb talent around him he could just end up being Bryce Young or injured. I just don’t see how you can miss taking MHJ, even a middle of the road average QB can throw him the ball. He’s another Jefferson or Chase that just gets it.

I see that we resigned Bourne for 3 years and Jr. would be a great pairing. Give me Kirk for 2 years and sure up the D and let’s gooooooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I think it's pretty clear the Pats are drafting QB at #3.

If Daniels goes to Washington at 2 I don't see them taking Maye at 3 the way he's losing stock rapidly with each day.

I also don't see them reaching for any other QB @ 3 so if they don't end up trading for Fields or signing a FA in the next 48 hours then they should take MHJ.

Taking Maye @ 3 and running things back with Parker and Bourne as their top two receivers would be malpractice for a team that won just four games last year while ranking 31st in points per game last year

Lieutenant Centaur fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 11, 2024

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Jacoby! Lol let's go!

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Nodoze posted:

I hope this is just posturing and he isn't for real

MHJ @ 3 is the safest and best pick.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

t a s t e posted:

I would like the Buffalo Bills to draft Marvin Harrison Jr.

If we pass on him I'm going to be pissed.

I'm already prepping for the meltdown

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

if?

lol they are taking a qb

There is nothing you can tell me or convince me (you can try if you’d like) that he shouldn’t be the pick @ 3.

If you look at the stats of any QB taken in the top 5 for the last decade it doesn’t really pan out on being the smartest pick. It’s so loving easy to miss on drafting a QB and I don’t have to sit here and start naming names from the last 5 years. The Patriots are not a better team if you take the roster as it currently sits and put Maye/Daniels at the helm of it. I’m sorry, but that’s just facts and taking a Maye/Daniels “bECaUsE wE nEeD QB” isn’t the answer.

We haven’t had an outside target that teams feared or had to gameplan for since 2010? Harrison solves that problem and will make Brissett better for it while MHJ is the closest thing to a surefire prospect as you can get.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Also, the notion that the Pats are open to trading 3 because they're not in love with the prospects tells you exactly why forcing a QB pick is a terrible idea.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

To play devil's advocate, the thing is when is the next time the Patriots will be sitting with a #3 draft pick in their hot little hands?

It ultimately *should* come down to how much the team believes in whatever QB they have their eyes on. But I suspect it's as much about appearances and pleasing ownership than rational decision making.

Like if they think whatever QB they draft only has a 20% chance of being a franchise QB, and MHJ has like an 80% of a being a stud, then they are morons for passing on MHJ.

I get you and I don't mean to pick on the Jets but when the team is putting out they're not in love with the prospects and compiled with a QB not making this team better with the current roster I just really fear a situation where we draft someone @ 3 like Darnold who ends up sucking and then in a year or 2 we're back in the top 3 and we're taking a QB like Wilson because "Welp, the last guy didn't work out so roll the dice on another one and hope it works"

I'd rather sure up the other positions of the team with better rated prospects and come back for a QB later or while putting the pieces together to get an eventual long term starter in there where he some talent around him to win.

All day I'd rather have Brissett/Zappe to MHJ which opens up the secondary WRs/TE and a running game instead of Daniels/Maye to JJSS/Boutte/Bourne while opposing teams Defensive coaches look at this and laugh like "come the gently caress on they're starting this against us?!" which was basically what this season was.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Well I don't know how you get a QB if you don't keep taking one until you find one that hits.

I'm fine coming back later and looking at guys like Nix or Pennix although him being a lefty with bad knees scares me but looking in later rounds or pushing it off a year is not an idea I hate. When I see Daniels and Maye at 3 all I think about are Trubinsky, Jake Locker, Dwayne Haskins, Josh Rosen, Marcus Mariota, Bortles etc.

Give me the almost cant miss WR prospect that can give me 10 good years that makes my team as it is infinitely better vs rolling the dice and going "Welp, hope this guy doesn't suck"

Anderson Koopa posted:

Go QB in the middle rounds, sign UDFAs, take a chance on someone with high upside. Aaron Rodgers went at the end of the first, Lamar Jackson went in the second if I recall, and Russell Wilson was a third rounder.

Need I remind you about Round: 6 / Pick: 199 in 2000?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Lieutenant Centaur fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 28, 2024

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

of all the teams in the top 3 the Pats are the only one where it'd make sense to trade out for a boatload of picks. that roster is just loving brutal right now and I dont think any of the available QBs is going to make it look any better

And that's why you take MHJ like I've been saying.

I'm also fine Vikings trade for the haul of picks.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Nosre posted:

MHJ would be the worst of the 3 options [him, QB, or trade down]

Nodoze posted:

Taking a WR at 3 is stupid when you have many holes and it's a really good QB draft and need one. WR is a deep class this year, they can still get someone better than on the current roster in the 2nd round and maybe the 3rd lol.

I will be accepting apologies in December when MHJ has a Chase like rookie season and the Pats have 4 wins and one of the 5 worst ranked offenses in the league with a rookie QB.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Anderson Koopa posted:

I can see why GMs have such a hard time of it. Drake Maye felt more of a high risk / high reward signing to me. It is entirely possible his running threat and ability to make every throw would make the offense functional. I could just as easily seeing him not being able to deliver a ball to a covered JJSS, Hunter Henry, or Kendrick Bourne coming off of a leg injury. His Offensive line is likely to be not great next year and I could envision a David Carr situation where he just gets destroyed and is never competent again.

I went Marvin Harrison Junior because I looked at the Patriots' WR depth and he would instantly be the near the top of the depth chart. I am also banking on him being a day starter. I figure Zappe / Brissett can chuck fifty fifty balls to him and he might do amazing things and the offense might score a fluke touchdown. I just want to feel some excitement on offense. I think Maye would give the offense a higher ceiling at the cost of a lower floor. I think MHJ gives the offense a focal point and something to plan around. MHJ also gives marketing someone to put on posters to get butts in seats.

That being said, if I was the actual GM I would probably trade down and get more picks. I don't have very high hopes for the Patriots next year and I don't think they will be competitive in their division. I would love to be proven wrong, but I view next year as a rebuilding year as well. I'd rather start the rebuild with some actual offensive talent that they can build around. They have enough cap space to sign extensions to the key guys that they find while they wait for their QB to fall to them.

Finally, RIP to Vontae Davis, 35 is too young.

This was the correct pick. Anyone who is telling you Maye/Daniels should be the pick doesn't know poo poo.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Anderson Koopa posted:

If the Patriots drafted the following players how happy would you be?

1. Marvin Harrison Junior
2. T'Vondre Sweat
3. Jonathan Brooks

As long as they draft MHJ @ 3 Im happy. We are instantly a better team right away than taking a rookie QB and starting him with no offensive talent to make him successful.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Nodoze posted:

The QB they take isn't starting, so that doesn't matter. Taking a WR at 3 in a deep QB draft when you have no QB is stupid, especially when it's also a deep WR draft

If they are stupid and take Maye he will be starting by week 5 when they're 0-5 or 1-4

Lieutenant Centaur fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 15, 2024

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Nodoze posted:

Taking Maye isnt stupid and having him sit all or most of the year isn't dumb either. They are gonna be mediocre at best next year even if they take Marv, and then they still need a QB

Posts like these make me question if people actually follow football or the trends in the league that over teams have done. You do NOT take a QB #3 (let alone 1 or 2) and stash them on the bench for a year and hope that at the start of their "sophomore" year they take over and have all the issues that caused them to be sat in the first are placed magically fixed.

If we take MHJ this team is INSTANTLY better the second they call his name at the podium. It doesn't matter if Jacoby/Bailey (or some other QB drafted 2-7 is throwing to him.) Defensive coaches now have to plan for MJH and that opens up lines for our TE's and already lovely WRs to not be focused on as #1 threats. As the team currently sits there is no DC in the league sitting at their desk thinking "Ok, so what's the gameplan to contain Kendrick Bourne/JJSS and Tyquan Thorton this week. The last 2 years are proof of that.

You guys who want Maye 3rd and your only legitimate reason for it is "Well we need a QB" or "We're never drafting this high again" are going look real silly when we're drafting in the top 5 again next year.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Lolololololol. What an absolute moron. I've been saying the opposite of this for a month now. I will be proven correct when we draft Maye and this franchise is the complete shits for the next 3-4 years

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Just like when your high school math teacher made you "show your work" to get to the answer I'd love for Elliott to draft a 5 page report to back up his reasons how he got to these conclusions.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

The more sports talk radio says the Pats need to pick a QB at #3 no matter what, the more convinced I get they need to trade out and get more picks.

The more and more people expose themselves as not knowing poo poo

https://heavy.com/sports/new-england-patriots/drake-maye-draft-marvin-harrison-jr/

Lieutenant Centaur fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 22, 2024

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I think the Patriots should trade the pick so I'm hoping they stay at 3 and take a bust QB.

Please don't draft Maye for the love of all that is holy

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1782487713662288084?t=SrCDVgxH1pekAiRUKYTHtg&s=19

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

fsif posted:

That's a pretty zany framing of my post.

The Patriots have a golden and rare opportunity to draft a decent rookie QB prospect now. What exactly is the plan at QB if they just spend a year or two creating a good team sans QB? Is it a fool's errand to have some kind of medium term plan for acquiring a QB?

These kind of posts make me lol

fsif posted:

The Patriots have Henry and Bourne

The Patriots receivers are lovely but they're not a historical anomaly for a lovely team.

lmao, they're drafting #3 and were bottom of the league with like 13 PPG but no, it wasn't a WR problem

this is exactly why they need to draft MHJ, he would instantly make this team better at the position and open up lanes where these lovely rear end WR's like Bourne/JuJu/Boute/Henry can be maybe a little effective. Doing with with Brissett or Zappe or someone they trade up for later for like Penix or Nix is insanely the better option than just drafting Maye and putting him at the helm of this poo poo show. i literally don't know how anyone is a fan of this team for the last few years and thinks that a QB has to be the pick.

Lieutenant Centaur fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 23, 2024

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

edit: dupe

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Like I don't literally know what to say to someone who thinks that:

Maye/Stevenson/Bourne/Schuster/(maybe Mitchell with an 2nd round pick)/Henry

is better than:

Brissett(maybe a QB they trade up for late? Nix? Penix?)/Stevenson/Harrison Jr/Bourne/Schuster/Henry.

Lieutenant Centaur fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 23, 2024

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

fsif posted:

Schuster isn't starting over Osborn, Douglas, or the likely second or third round pick.

If you think Maye as a prospect sucks that's fine and I would agree it's not a good idea to draft him. If you think ANY QB is destined to fail because they spend one season throwing to high second round WR/Bourne/Osborn/Henry, that's nuts.

Bro, you can say what you want about Mac Jones as a QB and that's fine. But we are drafting 3rd because we had Jones throwing to Schuster/Bourne/Douglas/Parker/Reagor/Thornton.

If you drop in Maye at QB add MAYBE add in a guy like Mitchell in the 2nd round with these same WR's and are expecting better results then I don't know what the hell to tell you.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yea, that’s the point, bad QBs make it really hard to tell whether you even have good players on offense, so maybe try to fix the QB problem and then see what you’ve got. Brissett is Case Keenum tier.

I think the bottom lineup makes you, like, the Saints. Not awful but definitely not good and stuck trying to find a QB that can move the needle. The first roster might be worse next year but has a higher ceiling because Maye has a higher ceiling than Brissett and is more likely to reach it than some guy they gamble on later. And who gives a poo poo about next year because you’re going to be poo poo anyway.

The Lions went 0-16 with Calvin Johnson. The Cardinals were bad for most of Fitzgeralds career because he had jobbers throwing to him. Justin Jefferson hasn’t been enough to drag the Vikings to anything meaningful. A merely good QB is more valuable than an elite WR.

I see your point and feel it's good. I just can't shake my belief that drafting Maye with the team the way it's set up now makes the team worse not better and then we'll be like the Jets and drafting another QB in a year or two because we reached for this one when the team wasn't built to support one.

I"m also coming around to the idea that it's fine to trade 3 for extra capital.

I also am just a moron with an opinion so I guess we'll see how it shakes out in a few days but I look forward to chatting about the entire 1st round with ya'll

Lieutenant Centaur fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 23, 2024

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Nodoze posted:

This is such an insane argument. The Pats have more functional WR (2) than QBs (0) on the roster

Can you please state your rationale for making this asenine claim multiple times now?

They were 30th in the league for yards and last in the league in points per game. This is directly due to the WR's being absolute dogshit where if they were on any other team they would be WR 3/4 at best.

You make it seem like we have this solid corps of WR's but poor Mac Jones just couldn't throw the ball to them to be effective. Did you even watch a Pats game this year.

You take this WR corps we have now and add some 2nd round pick and put Drake loving Maye at the helm and we are winning 4 or less games this year.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Docjowles posted:

But if the patriots don’t draft MHJ at 3 it is the greatest draft blunder in the modern era :thunk:

This is a factual statement actually

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

I feel like the team isn't smart enough to see they need MHJ as the pick.

Just loving trade it. Drafting Maye is just going to be the balloon farting around the room with the air flying out. A pick which will ruin this franchise for years.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if the pats miss on a QB pick at 3rd they are gonna get plenty of additional shots at it in the near future

Which is why there is 0 justification to take a QB @ 3 tonight, let alone Drake Maye

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the idea that the wrong draft pick is going to ruin the pats is hilarious

Mac Jones? edit: EFB

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

lmao we are the stupidest loving team in the league.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

lmao i will be accepting all posters groveling apologies later in the season when we are a < 4 win team and mhj has 1k yards and 10+ td's

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

It's obvious that teams don't do what they should. Don't get your hopes up

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

look at it this way mcmagic, you didn't draft drake maye

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

fsif posted:

Like Maye might suck but he'll probably be a pretty fun watch. Josh Allen's rookie year was a blast

Yeah man, it will be great watching him throw to the worst WR corps in the league and then listen to all the excuses why he was the justified pick

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Nosre posted:

Maye is probably going to sit anyway, at least for part of the year. WR round 2 or 3, and try to find a stud for year two

You don't draft a QB @ 3 and let him sit. He will be starting by Week 5 at the very least

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Kalli posted:

Yeah, that's the thing that's killing me, talking about trading our 2nd this year for Aiyuk which I mean yeah sure in a vacuum, but if we don't find a LT somewhere, we literally just saw what happened, and we've gotten worse at the position this offseason! We're going to ruin Maye if we don't get that fixed.

Yeah man hving a young QB have zero weapons worked out so well 2021-2023. Surely it’ll be different this time right 🥴

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

i can't believe i'm still watching this poo poo

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

afce has to be the stupidest loving division in the league

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

I had a bad dream last night we drafted Drake Maye

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

i will NOT be buying a drake maye jersey!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

actually if we draft texas wr guy or end up trading for either 49ers guy i'll be alright.