Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Pretty entertaining 48 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHMa-Ba-2Mo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

It's always somewhat disconcerting when you come across a video that has 750K views in 24 hours on a channel you've never heard of before.

For youtubers they could have been more insufferable, they seem reasonably well put together. But yes, shockingly they don't actually manage to make it inside the billion dollar top secret obscenely well guarded American military base stationed in the middle of the outback, but props for actually going there to ask at least.

Watching Jordie wrestle with the will to live is pretty funny though.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 9, 2024

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Budzilla posted:

Isn't Pine Gap more of a NSA facility than a CIA one?

Same poo poo

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Well it’s a good thing they clarify that in the first few minutes of the video then I guess

e - “for all the nerds out there” lol

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 9, 2024

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hambeet posted:

you won’t believe what happened next!!!’

Unless you have any familiarity whatsoever with Auspol

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hambeet posted:

mad keen to learn the next buckyism

Well in honour of the new thread here’s a few on the shortlist for ya:

Garden Island

Literally some of the most prime real estate in the world, so kick the navy out and create an arts & culture precinct and super-yacht mooring facility.

Waste

State takes the whole thing over. No more relying on business and councils to work out a cost-positive way of doing it right. Build a big gently caress-off MRF/ recycling / organics processing facility at Eastern Creek (between the drag way and the M7). Capture all commercial and residential food waste. And a giant warehouse for council collection stuff that gets sorted into grades of usefulness and salvagability.

Eliminate disposable packaging at dine-in fast food.

X sports centre

Competition-grade skate park, big air, etc. Just next to the Wanderers football park seems like a good location.

Leppington Cargo

Already discussed, but bears repeating - move the freight depot south a few miles and extend the train line a few hundred meters and we can take a shitload of trucks off the road.

(move big red circle to little red circle)

Sydney Games

Kind of like a modern corroboree. Centennial park is a massively underused resource, so for one weekend a year, have a massive tournament. Most of the major sports. Split the city up into 32 regions to make the table easy, have primary / secondary / open divisions. And while we're at it, an Australian Games at Homebush as well.

Somewhat related, one major difference I noticed between Sydney and Melbourne, is sport. Most sports fields in Sydney are empty. Seriously. But the few nights I've spent riding around Melbourne, they're packed, with people playing relatively high grades.

Schools

Lunch provided. I am so loving sick of all the kids' nutrition relying on millions of parents having to do it individually.
Kitchen Garden in every campus, competition for best produce
More partnerships with retirement homes
Make Science Fairs more of a Thing

Aquatic Recreation

Harbour baths. Few of these things scattered around the bays would be alright:

And for those not by the harbour, an olympic-sized natural public pool at Prospect. But you can only get there by active transport. And speaking of prospect, whack in a zipline from the lookout down towards the filtration plant.

And a communal outdoor fireplace in each suburb.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 9, 2024

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Unlike your posts

Great stuff as always man! Good chat, fun times

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The Artificial Kid posted:

Russia has been exposed to be running massive disinformation efforts that were probably always there in weaker forms.

Yes they were always there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5WjRjz5mTU

I don't think this is the actual video I wanted but you get the idea

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Do I really need to explain the logic behind giving billionaires a place to open their wallets

Also the pool would be a few hundred meters back from the reservoir. The waterpark across the road is cool and all, but it’s an expensive noisy mission, and not exactly nice and relaxing.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Do I need to explain the logic of "Billionaires are the main cause of how hosed things are and can gently caress the hell off"?

It does not matter where you put the pool, it is still restricted area due to catchment for the dam. Full stop. And uhhh.... since when is a public pool NOT noisy? Season pass for Raging Rapids is hundred buck for the season, that's not exactly bad value. The main issue is there's effectively no public transport even if a suitable bike path - actually quite a good one that's getting close to completion - exists from Blacktown.

If you still are keen for a public pool in the area, Blacktown Drive-In has land around it suitable altho Blacktown itself has a public pool already

The problem with billionaires is that they have too much of the money, so if you have a more realistic way to redistribute it than to lure them to a nice dock with a guillotine inject it directly into the state economy by overcharging them for dinner and cocktails at local restaurants, we're all ears. Bearing in mind that the billionaires in question wouldn't otherwise even be in the country.

If the drive-in is the best you can do then fine I'll take it, but I'd rather be surrounded by birds and trees than asphalt and the M4. Also the speedway is closer to the reservoir than some possible locations for the proposed pool. I know it's "restricted", that is what is being reevaluated in this hypothetical.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 10, 2024

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Assessor of Maat posted:

oh, so we're in the "trickle down economics is real" phase of buckyposting now? how fascinating

You’re confusing a closed system for one with a new hose in the window.

This money would otherwise be trickling into the Caribbean or Mediterranean.

Why do you hate supporting local mechanics and hospitality workers.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah I have a proposal. Its called *Tax the ever living poo poo outta them*

Trickle down ecnomics is Reagenisque bullshit that means someone rich is taking a piss on you.

I’m talking about foreign billionaires silly. “Who otherwise wouldn’t be here”. I don’t think we can just tax them if they don’t choose to come here.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Assessor of Maat posted:

considering the "new hose in the window" you're spruiking is specifically the sewage outlet of a superyacht, having the space left entirely unused would be the greater public good (and environmental good for that matter)

No it's a literal money hose pumping millions of new dollars directly into the economy via exorbitant mooring fees.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

hi mr bucky, can you come up with a plan for a fuckin and suckin place?

we have brothels already

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Then their home loving country can tax the everliving poo poo out of them

ok but changing other countries' tax codes is a bit much even for me.

And sorry if there was any confusion, but yeah I'm not talking about Australia's 60-70 meter "nice big boats", I'm talking about international loving super-yachts. Who have to spend their money elsewhere cos there's no where for them to dock here. Which means local businesses miss out.

But mooring facility aside, we agree on the rest? Get some theatres down there never mind the specifics, just "return to the public" instead?

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 10, 2024

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hooman posted:

I don't think we need an entire island to build a guillotine.

We'd still need to get them here though. I’m told Sydney Airport is at capacity, and lol if you think they’re going to get the metro from Badgerys Creek.

(And not that it matters but technically not an island any more.)

Ok so you guys don't want hundreds of millions of virtually free extra dollars per year by just letting boats tie up here. We'll just keep using it to store massive and almost entirely pointless navy boats. Even the 5 storey carpark there underneath Embarkation Park alone would be worth billions.

Semi-seriously, I've never really understood when they say things like "This Event brought millions of dollars into the economy". Like, no, you just moved money from from one person's account to another. Now one person has a bit more, and one person has a bit less. On a "town" level, sure, but on a national level, the total amount of money in the economy remains the same. Is is it just because the transaction is taxed? Anyway, THIS is how you get actually more money in the economy.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Blamestorm posted:

Not always, but in principle, when you circulate money through the economy more flows to people on lower incomes, addressing inequality and stimulating growth (as they then have more to spend). Money locked up in bank accounts is of most use to banks. Money that is spent on goods and services produces benefits (and yes sometimes taxes) several times - I give $20 to the fish and chips shop, they spend part on wages, part to buy the fish, part on water/electricity/rent - then the people who got it as wages spend it on new clothes for their kids, petrol at the service station - that pays for the wages of the kmart checkout person, the people at the servo - etc. The more and faster the same money circulates, the more economic activity and value is produced- is the theory. And yes, this activity gets taxed too at many points. A lot of it flows nationally because we have national supply chains and our cities are big enough proportions of our population and economy that something major in Sydney or Melbourne can have an effect on national figures.

Yeah but now you're still $20 out, so someone else has to give you money for your own kids' clothes and petrol and stuff, and we're back where we started. This whole "economy" thing is sounding pretty made up tbh.

The "generally flowing downwards" makes a bit of sense though I guess. But then it just goes right back to the top when it gets hoovered up by the supermarkets and energy companies and capitalists in general, right? Like that's literally where their money comes from.

I dunno, I guess I'm just saying "the movement of money" (in a closed system) seems like a weird metric to measure anything by. But I know I'm dumb, sorry.

Appreciate the effort post though, thanks heaps.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Absolutly correct we dont want it. Billionaire pollution can just gently caress the hell off.

The under-funded womens shelters appreciate your principled stance.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Where is this estimate coming from?

Boisterous exuberance of course.

It's possibly the best place to pull up in the southern hemisphere. But you're right, the mooring fees would probably max out at a few grand a day, so only a few million per year. Might get to the hundreds once you start filling them up and servicing them though.

I really thought the hard part of that was going to be finding somewhere else for the navy.

e - lol yeah like Yeast said

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 11, 2024

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

It is a very serious joke about why they're having to build another one.

Yeast posted:

it would take an age to break even on the costs of an entirely new defence port in 2024 vs yacht fees.

Selling this carpark alone would probably cover a good chunk of it. I just want to return the land to the public, the berthing fees are an ancillary bonus.

birdstrike posted:

That seems like a bizarrely mercantilist view of macroeconomics.

you may want to skim these:

Thanks.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

foreign warships contribute to the economy

Ah, right. Peaceful pleasure crafts = bad, literal death machines = good. Got it.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Blamestorm posted:

Think about it this way. I give you $20 to you for you to cook me a meal. I am up one meal, down $20 and you are up $20 and down one hour of your time. You then give me $20 to clean up your garden. I am now quits on money but up on a meal, down on one hour. You are quits on money but up on a clean garden and down one hour.

The money changing hands was really a proxy for us exchanging time and services. This is economic activity, we are working and doing poo poo that needs doing (rather than earning money as an end in itself). The money is just tracking it. Assuming you are a cook and I am a gardener we are both more efficient doing it this way than the other way around - maybe in that case we’d each be down two hours.

Obviously more complex in the real world but that’s basically why we have money at all, in theory. When money is flying around, the faster it flies around correlates with more hours of work, things produced and consumed, services delivered. That activity is the actual economy, not the allocation of money or who currently has it. (In theory! In theory!).

That's a fantastic explanation and now it makes quite a lot more sense, cheers.

Spookydonut posted:

We could just close a few tax loopholes and implement a wealth tax

We can, nay must, do both.

EoRaptor posted:

The marina would need to be built to the standards needed to accommodate yachts of those sizes and mooring requirements, many millions of dollars that would come from the local or state government at the expense of other programs and services.

It's already built! They dock literal aircraft carriers there at the moment.

quote:

Local residents will soon find property too expensive to own, and local entertainment closed as previously unknown regulations are enforced.

I'm afraid I have bad news about Potts Point.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hambeet posted:

anyway, your harbour baths and school lunch gruel pots sound more interesting.

I like the Waste one.

imnotinsane posted:

Better rip up all those bike paths too Bucky, the super rich won't want to see riff raff while sitting in their limo being driven around and spending money

They can either take it as is or go gently caress themselves

But really we all know that less car-dependence makes cities far more inviting.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

people they pay next to nothing

I, Butthole posted:

cost more to staff than the average annual income of the citizen of said city

Hmmmmm

quote:

wield the undue influence and power from their cash reserves to change things solely for their own benefit!

Good point, we should send them the superhighway plan too.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Breakfast Burrito posted:

maybe spend time learning these basic facts about the world we live in BEFORE writing 40000 words about how to fix it

oh was one of the words wrong

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Went into the Lions Den of Libertarians last night. Their senator John Ruddick was talking poo poo on twitter, asked for a debate, and Jack the Insider was the only one to take him up on it. Jack wrote me a reference when I got arrested over the UAP thing so I hopped on my bike and went down to support. We can either give in to the increasing silo-ification of our society, or we can try and have dialogue, and I think where possible we should aim for the latter.

The format sucked. It wasn’t a debate, there wasn’t even a specific motion, it was just “Covid! Vaccines! Discuss”. 1 x 20 minute speech each, with a handful of audience questions at the end. Cool room though.

The covid stuff didn’t seem fruitful so I put that aside and tried to cut to the chase by asking how he would propose to solve the problem of corruption in the pharmaceutical industry within a capitalistic framework, and he basically said “ratings agencies”. Sadly there wasn’t enough time to unpick the absurdity of that cos the chair shut it down at 7:30 on the dot.

Somehow we all ended up at the same pub afterwards, both sides in their own camps just chatting poo poo amongst ourselves. I half-heartedly suggested that we should be over there talking to them. That was supposed to be the whole point of the evening, to open lines of communication between a culture divided. But they seemed like a pretty insufferable bunch, so it was hard to summon the will.

Eventually one of us did go over and start talking to John at the bar, and I followed in solidarity shortly after to try and continue the conversation we’d started at the thing. He tried talking about the details of the pace of vaccine roll out, I asked ok so what’s your background, he said he was a mortgage broker, and I’m like, ok, so absent any medical qualifications this conversation isn’t really worth continuing then is it.

Ruddick is an idiot, a blustering suit just reciting talking points. But another guy stood up and he seemed a lot sharper and we quickly got into the meat of it.

He’s a tax nerd, fundamentally. His whole thing is looking at the ATO data and analysing impact on government revenue. And he thinks that when Tony Abbott increased the top marginal tax rate (from 47 to 49 I think?), the overall government revenue went down. Because the people affected changed their reporting behaviour to avoid paying that extra 2%.

My fundamental question was “how do we stop corporations from doing harm”, and his answer was “with competition”.

That didn’t really make sense, so I asked how competition stops a coal plant from polluting a river, for example, and his answer was “well who owns the river”. Also the Koch brothers had thrown him some money at some point, but he's not rich, and they're mostly about religion supposedly.

Another guy came up to say bye to his mate. Turns out the tax-nerd I’d been talking to was the founder of the whole party, and this guy was the was the treasurer and the de facto president or something. He mentioned this candidate they were thinking of running in the Victorian senate who was going to be “controversial”. He pointed to me and asked his mate “can we trust this guy” and his mate was like “lol no he's a communist”, but I said who gives a poo poo it’s all going happen one way or another, why is your guy controversial, you mean like culture-war stuff?
“Nah, he’s just been in jail”
“Oh, ok”.
"That's not the problem though, we don't care about drug dealers, it's all the other poo poo he's done."
"... Ah."

By that stage we were a fair few pints in and doing our best to keep it on the rails. The quality of the discourse had been surprisingly reasonable so we quit while we were ahead, said our farewells and headed out into the rain. Got the last ferry back up the river to ride the T-way home.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 15, 2024

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

That'd be the one I guess.

That policy sounds like a reasonable idea at least.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I regret to report it's time to take the Holly Valance posters down from the walls of our childhood bedrooms.

https://x.com/WillKingston/status/1768816213520507105?s=20

Obligatory reminder that this is a product of the toxic disinformation machine.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Budzilla posted:

Why does anyone care about what Holly Valance thinks in TYOOL 2014? Let alone 2024?

We don't really, it's just another barometer of how certain conversations are going.

nocturama posted:

It’s probably a product of her being married to a British billionaire

More to do with the media diet she's consumed as a part of that.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Paracausal posted:

What loving conversations?

The conversations about climate change and our collective response to it, things of that nature

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 16, 2024

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Laserface posted:

they are funded and headed by a bunch of rich assholes that invest in airlines and other fossil fuel adjacent poo poo [...] it is designed from top to bottom to be ineffective.

Hmmmmmm

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Good news for anyone who thought the disinformation article was too long to read and suggested an audio version, it’s now in podcast form. This episode skips the ancient history stuff and gets right into who started pizzagate etc.

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/the-dirt-unit/id1701913743?i=1000649956511

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Wasn't easy

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hambeet posted:

So I dont get to hear about the little kingdom of Bavaria that could?

You can, it's just a different episode. And people generally know most of that history already. Or at least it's already been reported elsewhere. This one corrects a critical error in the current coverage, and tells you who actually started it.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I don’t know the specifics of the situation up there, and suspect it’s mostly due to other factors, but expertly placed bike paths can have a significant impact on youth employment and agency and general quality of life, yes.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

After the splendour in the grass cancellation there was a callout for submissions wrt using arts funding to figure out a sustainable way to keep music festivals viable let's not distract Bucky with petty matters of bike paths and violent racial subjugation

I had a quick chat with AJ Maddah the other night, about the concert concept I pitched in GBS a couple weeks ago. He agreed it’s the way to go, but it turns out hiring the Showgrounds costs about $420K. And they keep all the food and beverage spend. So it might be better to set up in a park. Centennial is proven obviously, and would work fine (although still has weirdly difficult access considering how central it is), but I do think Newington Armoury would be lovely. One stage, 10-15 bands, preferably Aussie, good food and drinks, out on the grass, set up your spot without having to move, everyone enjoy everything all together, done. There’s even the potential to do camping there if you want to make it a whole lot more complicated. There was at least one camping festival there at one point but I can’t remember what it was.

And yes it would be especially rad if we rebuilt the wharf there, otherwise we can ride down from the Olympic park wharf. Or just get busses and shuttles from the train station.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 30, 2024

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Funnily enough the naval base already has a ferry wharf, which goes literally no where

But yes we are talking about converting a wharf that was used by the army for loading and unloading ammo at Newington

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

bike paths are about the right size for electric golf carts if you wanna transport stuff bigger than a bicycle can handle.

what do you think a golf cart can handle that an e-bike can't

Konomex posted:

You're all missing the obvious solution to ALL of these problems. Hovercraft. No need for bike paths if everyone's using a personal hovercraft. Need somewhere for a ferry to dock? You know what doesn't need to dock? A hovercraft. Oh no, don't have a venue for your music festival? Just get a hundred hovercraft and tie them together out in the sea, no need to pay for the venue, no need to get 100,000 toilets. Just poo poo in the sea.

I think they're pretty noisy unfortunately. And powered by fossil fuels.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I used to get a regular gig with some guys I know at the Boogie music festival up in Tallarook, roughly 100km north of Melbourne. It was a real pain in the rear end to get our stuff all the way out there, better transportation would have saved us a lot of pain

Wooooo

(I haven't actually been but my friend entrusted this to me and spoke highly of it)

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Laserface posted:

AJ Maddah drove not only Soundwave, but the Big Day Out also, into the loving ground. He owes multiple bands up to 160k each that he just never paid. He is a piece of poo poo.

Granted BDO was on the out already, but if he had any business sense at all he would've at least made a blip - he didn't.

To answer the question of how do you fix the festival industry:
- grants and funding directly to artists. Not venues or promoters.
- reduced requirements for police presence and reduction in fees. Incentives for good behaviour/low incidents records.
- pill testing, amnesty bins, decrim drugs, ban sniffer dogs etc etc etc
- prevent or deny international megacorps like LiveNation buying venues and promoters (they own half of secret sounds that run Splendour)
- federal minimum wage/fee for all artists with a national fund for insurance to protect artists from losing money like on Splendour.

The problem is everyone at the top is copping the grants from the government and the profits so by the time it trickles down to the artist it's less than a drop in a bucket. But! along the way there is transport and stage crews and management and media and all these other 9-5 mon-fri literal non-creative industries that all get paid and pay government tax etc. so the government doesn't give a poo poo, the money is going into the industry and festivals will boom and bust and artists will lose money and opportunities and it'll keep going.

Go support local music. The best bands you've never heard are playing a bar near you nearly every night of the week in Sydney or Melbourne. It's cheaper, more intimate and it's not an overcrowded, overpriced drug slum (it's just a regular drug slum)

Yeah man we all know the story. For several years he put on some of the best shows with the best line ups Australia has ever seen. Then yes, a lot of things happened and he spread too thin and made some bad calls and it all collapsed, around the same time as most other big festivals like future and stereo went under too. Apparently he's still repaying people despite having no legal obligation to do so.

Of course everyone should support local music. People should also have the opportunity to dance outside with 10,000 people and a dozen great bands (that don't just play heavy stuff), and this format appears to be the best way to do that. Any good park do, but this one would be particularly sweet:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

They are famously dropping left and right, to the point where it’s a pretty big news story, and yes unless you like metal there isn’t really anything.

I think the children are alright, it’s the promoters who are getting it wrong by failing to provide a sustainable offering.

And a bunch of other kings like Aussie dollar and cost of living.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

There has been a non metal music festival once a month in Brisbane since November what are you talking about

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

top tier musicians that can't make a living playing music here

Make up your mind man!

And I'm talking about this:

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

And if these festivals are bleeding money what is the justification for publicly funding them? What is the actual cultural gain over what laserface suggests? I don't understand why you seem so put out that there isn't a festival that appeals to you. There are plenty of festivals of varying scale for a wide variety of music, and I don't understand specifically why you feel put out that there isn't a festival that appeals to you. Why is dancing outside such a big deal to you yet you apparently don't consider dance music festivals worthwhile? I'm not trying to wind you up I just legit don't understand your viewpoint here.

The cultural gain is thousands of people dancing outside, which has been a vital and universal part of the human experience since the dawn of time. If the free market can't provide that then yes it should be publicly funded, but this conversation is about exploring ways to do it within the private sector. Happy to sign-off on all of Laserface's suggestions. Dance music festivals are absolutely worthwhile. RIP Good Vibes in particular. There should also be something for the Gen Y / Millenial crowd who can't handle necking a bunch of pills all weekend anymore and want to roll out a picnic blanket and enjoy some good poo poo without having to walk all over the shop.

What have you had up in Brizzy? What kind of crowd and what kind of attendance in what kind of places with what kind of bands in what kind of format at what kind of prices? I don't get out much any more, this isn't about what I want, it's about what's healthy for society as a whole.

And you bloody brought this up didn't you!? I was responding to this:

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

After the splendour in the grass cancellation there was a callout for submissions wrt using arts funding to figure out a sustainable way to keep music festivals viable

also I'm not saying anything about Aj's moral character, just his qualifications to comment on the logistics of putting on a gig at the showgrounds, which we have subsequently ruled out in favour of setting up in a park.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

People are still dancing outside bucky you absolute loving moron why do you insist on being the densest motherfucker alive. I'm sorry if sydney sucks rear end too much to have these things. Thats the only reasonable conclusion I can come to reading your posts on the matter. We had Juicy, Good Things, a massive NYE outdoor festival, another RNB festival I can't remember the name of all taking up roughly the same market size as Soundwave/Knotfest. There are also regular outdoor festivals on a smaller scale at the eatons hill hotel and countless bushdoofs. Regurgitator did an incredible festival for the Unit anniversary and it owned. People can still dance outside.

Fucks sake Jeremy, settle down. Much-loved festivals are collapsing to the point where it's a major news story, I'm not making this up. And you were the one who specifically said we need to figure out a sustainable way to keep them alive. To which my answer is: One stage, 10-15 bands, good food and drinks, in a nice centrally located field. That's how you do it. Laserface said just go to local gigs, to which I say cool but a big crowd outside is also important. 10,000 people in a field. I'm happy for the metal-heads but the other demographics need stuff too.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

webmeister posted:

Electric Gardens music festival happened literally yesterday in Sydney, with a sold out crowd and several big name international DJs

Maybe you missed the r&b festival in parramatta last week
Or the drum & bass one that was also yesterday
Or the one in a couple of weeks with known metal bands like Blondie and Placebo
Or the sold out Field Day on NYD

But there’s no festivals these days

Good for Electric Gardens. Looks like one stage, with five DJs, in a park in a central location.

Pandemonium (with placebo etc) has apparently had to downsize on the run to one stage, possibly two.

Glad Field Day is still rocking, they managed to pick the right date to lock in.

The point is that plenty have had to pull the plug.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Trying to insist Newington - which is an environmentally sensitive area and a wharf that at low tides can't be used built on a historic site with preserivie order over it and with no existing PT other than an asspull idea of ferries that above reasons won't happen - when Penrith Lakes exist and has been used for festivals - is stupid. Not that Penrith Lakes is great for purpose but it's better than an area that also has residents close enough that may well get real annoyed by the noise

I'm not sure trying to handwave someone who sounds like they stuffed people for a lot of money is a good look either

It's a sports field you dingbat. 5 minutes from Olympic park. But Centennial is still an option too.

Good luck getting people out to Penrith for the day.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

please point out where I said we need to figure out how to keep festivals alive

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

After the splendour in the grass cancellation there was a callout for submissions wrt using arts funding to figure out a sustainable way to keep music festivals viable

A sustainable way to keep music festivals viable is to have one stage in a nice field with good food and drinks, to watch about a dozen party bands. How controversial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

So you agree they are still viable then

So you agree their ongoing viability is an issue that needs addressing then

gay picnic defence posted:

Day on the green still does shows everywhere Bucky what the gently caress are you on about. A couple of festivals got canned but they’re run as businesses and businesses sometimes poo poo the bed. It’s not some catastrophe that requires a 10000000 word medium article to fix

Day On The Green is a fantastic concept and if it didn't exist I would absolutely write a 10000000 word medium article about it. But they're not in the city so they don't answer this question.

Also username post combo, hey-yo