Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What the hell was all that about? I gave up trying to work it out.

Why yes I'm also sleep deprived. Is that why I didn't understand any of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Sorry for the paywall

quote:

A suspected high-ranking member of the Calabrian mafia and a former Liberal Party donorhas been executed in an apparent gangland-style killing overnight, putting police on high alert for possible revenge attacks.

John Peter Latorre, 64, who was killed outside his Greenvale home in the early morning hours of Tuesday, has for years been regarded by law enforcement authorities as a quiet but influential member of the ’Ndrangheta.
Company records show Latorre was a director of Latorre’s Fruit & Vegetable Wholesalers, which is based at the Melbourne Market in Epping.
This masthead has previously reported Latorre was part of a small group of businessmen linked to the Calabrian mafia that donated tens of thousands of dollars to the Liberal Party as part of a suspected plot to get a visa for crime figure Francesco (Frank) Madafferi.
In 2005, then immigration minister Amanda Vanstone granted Madafferi a visa to stay in Australia, but he was later convicted over his involvement in what was at the time the world’s biggest ecstasy bust. He remains in jail.

And this

quote:

The best man at John Latorre’s wedding, as well as his former boss at Melbourne’s wholesale fruit market in Footscray, was Alfonso Muratore, who was gunned down in Hampton in 1992.

Prior to this still unsolved execution, Muratore was a candidate to take over the Melbourne arm of the mafia.

When police interviewed Latorre after Muratore’s killing, he told them he knew nothing about who pulled the trigger. Latorre did let on that he worked for Frank Benvenuto, another reputed Calabrian mafia leader who was shot dead in 2000 in what police suspect was a killing to avenge Muratore’s death eight years earlier. This murder, too, remains unsolved.
My interest in Latorre was sparked after I uncovered $10,000 in donations he contributed to the Liberal Party between 2003 and 2006.

Latorre was one of several mafia-linked figures who had donated large sums to the Liberals as part of a lobbying effort targeting then immigration ministers Philip Ruddock and Amanda Vanstone and aimed at getting a visa for Latorre’s close friend, convicted mafia figure Francesco Madafferi.
Ruddock rebuffed the lobbying, but Vanstone approved the visa on the basis of an argument that deportation would have an unfair impact on Madafferi’s children and wife. After getting his visa reprieve, Maddefferi was charged with drug trafficking.

Latorre would later seek to again look out for his friend, testifying in Madafferi’s trial in an attempt to shore up what would ultimately be a failed defence that police had confused drugs with pumpkins.
I absorbed it, and then took a punt, asking him why he had donated to the Liberals and what he knew of the mafia.

Latorre nonchalantly recalled his donations, as well as the fact that he had made one of them — worth $5000 — at a 2004 function in which Vanstone was the guest speaker.

He made no secret of the fact that the donations were given to influence the visa decision (there is no suggestion Vanstone acted improperly), but shrugged this off as nothing more than a case of reputable businessmen, once again, looking out for a friend.

AFAIK Vandstone is still on RadioNational Monday afternoons doing CounterPoint.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 12, 2024

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Did 4 corners play Russian propaganda on Monday ?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So Andrew Wilke revealed that the AFL and Players Association has been corrputing the team doctors by having players who have been taking (illegal) drugs and telling the coaches and teams it's been "injuries".

All fine and totally normally...except I think WADA would be banning the players if THEY find out after 3 strikes. Which they have not. Because the AFL and Players Association got the doctors to lie to everyone else.

Cool and Normal.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

And if these festivals are bleeding money what is the justification for publicly funding them?

There should be public funding for tabletop wargames, roleplaying games and boardgame conventions!

Granted the smell might be worse and holding them outdoors would only work for the LARPers.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Ten wins bombshell bid to reopen defence in Lehrmann case

quote:

Network Ten has won an eleventh-hour bid to reopen its defence in Bruce Lehrmann’s defamation case after raising explosive allegations that the former federal Liberal staffer leaked confidential information to Seven including more than 2300 pages of texts between Brittany Higgins and her ex-boyfriend.

On Tuesday evening Federal Court Justice Michael Lee heard an urgent application by Ten to call fresh evidence in the defamation case from Taylor Auerbach, a former producer on Seven’s Spotlight program, less than 48 hours before the judgment was due to be delivered on Thursday morning..

I await the news that Bruce Lehrmann continues to face no consequences for his crimes.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
News on the street is that he was known to Police and this is not terrorism.

Aka, not a muslin.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Channel 7 apparently name the wrong guy as the attacker. Absolute scum.

A good payout is in his future at least.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The sole dead male is a Pakistani refugee who was working his first day shift as security after starting this week.

I guess that answers the question on where was security.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Auspol 2024 Mark 3: He was convicted of rape

We need a new thread title or something.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
My kids school just announced 2 days AFTER they discovered it that there is Asbestos on the school oval. Nothing to worry about, they just put some fencing up and assured everyone there's no harm to anyone. Ah ha.

Cool and Normal.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

JBP posted:

Starting to enter the phase of life where Pocock and the Greens can gently caress off with removing negative gearing.

Stop being a land lord who losses money.

Try buying less candles.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

JBP posted:

The market rate is going up 4% a month, so probably.

Your inability to take a risk in your investment is not our problem. The rest of us pay for your tax benefit.

Also this makes you a landlord. Everything you do is bad, evil, parasitic or all three.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Saw a printed out A4 sign the other day saying CASH IS KING and it's like, why do these motherfuckers think anyone is going to get rid of hard currency. WHY

Cash is doomed. Visa and Mastercard will see to that. Armarguard is also doomed unless the government gives them big sacks of cash in electronic form.

No you won’t escape their middlemen parasite charges either.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
For reasons that have been in the news last day or so, I need to move to a new Industry Super fund that is not apparently run by incompetent baboons.

Any suggestions? I can only move of course after the incompetent baboons have found the Google passkey I suspect they lost.

Assuming they didn't invest the entire fund in a cryptocoin.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

JBP posted:

drat what happened? I've missed this news.

Unisuper has been offline completely for over a week. They are currently blaming a never before seen google cloud bug.

There would have been a run on the fund already but no one can get money out (though I trust the insiders already have).

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

snail posted:

Google has gone on record to accept their blame and role in the issue. I'd be on the lookout for the final postmortem before shooting from the hip. Your super isn't the same as a US hedge fund, and they've said that the trading systems are separate and safe.

They announced at midnight that Google fat fingered the delete key and deleted their account and then needed to take 8 days to restore from backup.

When I thought Google was undergoing enshittification, I didn't think it meant something like that. In other news, who has good email account I can transfer my google account from?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
An investigation into the investigation into the investigation into the investigation.

quote:

ACT Integrity Commission investigating suspected corrupt conduct of Walter Sofronoff, who chaired inquiry into Bruce Lehrmann's prosecution

Everything that man touches leads to disaster for everyone involved! He's a walking catastrophic legal and personal nightmare!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’m 99% sure said it guy got outsourced a month or so prior to this

The manager who approved this went to work at a major health care provider who just got ransom wared.