Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Wtf, did he lock his own thread? This was a wild afternoon. I hope you're proud of yourself Recoome, driving that poor racist to adopt the racist position he wanted to support anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

I'm just sad we'll never find out who (((they))) were.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Paracausal posted:

Weird that these guys also seem to subscribe to these other gems;
+ Putin was forced to invade Ukraine by NATO
+ Boris Johnson directed Ukraine to not pursue a peace treaty with Russia
+ Zelenskyy was installed by the CIA through a coup not a popular revolution
+ Slobadan Milosevic was unfairly attacked by NATO
Etc etc

Zelenskyy didn't even become president until 6 years after the euromaidan protests! I know asking for critical thinking skills from tankies is stupid, but come on.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I posted this in the chill thread, but now this is open I want to say it again:

I've honestly lost count of the number of times some white person in a position of authority or power has faced the slightest push back from a minority and some goon has rushed in to say that racism against white people is totally real and just as bad and quoted loving dictionary definitions at people.

And then, in the space of half a dozen posts, has gone from "I'm the only one here who's really standing up for what's right" to "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children".

100% serious - as soon as someone posts that "the dictionary defines racism as..." you can start the countdown to racist implosion.

It's really bizarre. He didn't even get that much prodding, just a few questions, a bit of push back, and he completely flipped his lid, ranting about secret groups trying to destroy 'his' country.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

The gay agenda strikes again. Jerry Falwell tried to warn us, "this homosexual steamroller will literally crush all decent men, women, and children who get in its way" (CW, lots of homophobia)

Captain Theron fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 12, 2024

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

I dunno, maybe harassing disadvantaged people isn't a good use of our resources? And maybe setting targets for the number of people harassed leads to bad outcomes. If only someone could have predicted this, but alas, this is a situation that has never occurred anywhere on earth before.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, I don't think you could get away from testifying as a witness if you were a civilian for mental health reasons, but I am not a lawyer, so please correct me if I have it wrong.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, I don't doubt it was traumatic and he should be given all the support and counselling needed, but he's still responsible for taking part in assaulting and chasing someone and that resulted in their death. Anyone else involved in something like that, even if it were lawful, would be compelled to testify.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

There's a group of them in Canberra that camp out in the centre of town every Friday and play a really lovely cover of staying alive by the beegees on repeat for hours. I used to work right next to where they set up and it was literal torture. I don't know what they thought they were accomplishing there, their audience were basically all lefty public servants who were already on board.

I really don't know what they expect to accomplish. Like blm or pride demonstrations don't aim to piss off the general public, they are demonstrating their mass support to those in power. Like be visible for sure, let people know about your cause, but don't actively piss off the general public who's support you need.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Megabound posted:

A protest that doesn't inconvenience those in power is handily ignored. Peaceful protest furthers no causes.

But that's my point, they're inconveniencing people with no power and who are often already supporting them, at least in principle. ER doesn't cause any issues for politicians and fossil fuel execs when they block commuters. I'd have much more respect for them if they were regularly blockading parliaments or mining company offices.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Precisely. They aren't wrong, but their tactics are self defeating. Protest at the people with actual decision making power, and build support among the community. We didn't win gay marriage by harassing the public and stopping them getting to work, we built support and pressured the government.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Is it though? I don't think the state really cares about their perfomative protests.
I want to be really clear, I agree with their goals, I just think their tactics are poo poo. Other climate protest groups seem much more effective. That kid who sued the government and won over their duty of care for example, or Greta Thunberg and her movement.
Extinction Rebellion seems much more concerned with making themselves feel good than actually effecting change.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Recoome posted:

Honestly just say that you support using the law to crack down on protests/protesters you don’t like. Hope it doesn’t get used on the ones you do!!

?? No one has said anything like this though?

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Like union protests are a good example of what XR should be. They have an impact on the public, sure, but they're much more targeted at decision makers and disabling sectors of the economy. And at least to my perception, people seem far more accepting of that, and subsequently supportive.
XR seems so much more focused on stunts and performance art. Can you imagine a bunch of unionists dressing up in disco outfits and dancing to one song on repeat for hours on end to protest low pay or safety conditions? No one would take anything they say seriously.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

God I haven't missed Abetz, he's such a slimy fucker.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Please don’t do this man. I appreciate the scrutiny you put it through and it withstood the lot.

Lol, like gently caress it did.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

They are a bunch of tiny things orbiting a much bigger thing with a hell of a lot of empty space in between

The common depiction of atoms in the manner of solar systems is a simplification, electrons behave much more weirdly than perfect orbits on a common plane.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

There are differences yes, but fundamentally they are still tiny things weirdly orbiting a much bigger thing, with a lot of empty space in between

In a way that I don’t think anything else does at any scale between them, does it?

Fucken nerds

Only in the very most superficial sense. Electron orbits are more of a probability space for where it could be. With planetary orbits you can accurately predict their position at any moment, even centuries from now. That's why we know exactly when every lunar eclipse will be, and what sort it will be for any given location on earth.

With electrons, we can say where they will probably be, but not with complete certainty. And if we know exactly where it is, we can't know it's velocity, and vice versa.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Still, differences aside, atoms 100% absolutely consist of tiny things orbiting a much bigger thing with a shitload of empty space between them. Which can also be said of a solar system.

:agesilaus:

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

It's still trash. If the price of the food isn't enough to pay people appropriately, increase the price. Don't hide it in a bullshit additional fee. Even if it's well intentioned, it's still deceptive and scammy.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

How is it deceptive if they have a big thing on their menu describing it. It's more transparent to do so than simply slam it into product prices which are literally inscrutable

I dunno I am very much not a fan of it but deceptive is not the word I'd use to describe the issue with it

Because they rely on you having to notice it and mentally calculate the extra %. It's like the dumb way Americans list prices without factoring in taxes, or the way airlines don't include the cost of fees in the advertised price. They're using the lower list price to drive sales, as most people won't realise the true cost until final bill comes.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I don't have a lot of sympathy for the rich cunts that eat in these places but you do you. I'm sure they care about you. Im glad the employees are being paid well.

Lol, how the gently caress is that what you got from what I said? Mandatory tipping is explicitly anti-worker and a crutch for businesses to get out of having to carry the cost of paying their employees adequately.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

They are paying their employees above well above the award already you goony weirdo the problem is Sydney is a city built around rich cunts and normal people can't afford to live there

You're the one being weirdly aggressive and patronising. Tipping culture is a cancer that is used to keep wages low. If a 10% or 20% additional fee is required to pay people appropriately, then it isn't a fee and is just part of the cost.

If some businesses are paying people well with them, that's great, but it provides cover for others to push for wages to stay low and rely more on the largesse of customers.

How can you look at places where tipping is common and see that as desirable? If the award rate is too low, we need to raise it, not come up with ad hoc solutions to structural problems.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

He is definitely enjoying himself

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

loving got him

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

A humiliating back down for Ten and Wilkinson.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Having escaped the lions den, Lehrman made the fatal mistake of coming back for his hat.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

HAHAHA LOLWUT the judge actually said that?

At the start of his conclusion for maximum impact.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

If I escaped a criminal trial unscathed, I would simply not launch a highly public defamation suit with a lower burden of evidence

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

The Judgement posted:

1074 The consequence of all this is that the actual damage proven to be occasioned to Mr Lehrmann’s reputation by the broadcast could only be slight in respect of the defamatory publications unsuccessfully defended, because he is only entitled to be compensated for the reputation he deserves.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

WHO THE gently caress IS FUNDING HIM?

It hasn't been confirmed, but it's fairly widely thought to be Kerry Stokes, who just loves backing winners.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I don't have a huge issue with a mum and pa having a single rental property. I have a huge problem with shitheads gathering up large portfolios and commercial residential landlords. gently caress off with the housing is an investment bs that is ruining affordability

Eh, I think in some ways, baring a government service to provide them, a faceless corporate landlord is preferable to the dice roll of individual landlords. Even if they each only have one, I've heard enough horror stories from friends of petty tyrants being absolute arseholes. Often the lower the stakes, the worst power corrupts.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Nobody:
Absolutely no one:
Literally not one soul:

Peter Fitz: https://x.com/peter_fitz/status/1782646299655123142

He is such a weird man.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Crypto festivals going negative

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

I find all this focus on control of the subs confusing. It's not like we aren't capable of operating a nuclear reactor due to some national deficiency of character. The Americans are very happy to let us play with their fancy toys. Bush the younger even offered Howard the F22, the plane that America won't sell to anyone.

There will probably be American nuclear naval engineers in charge for a bit until we build up a cadre ourselves, but it's just a bunch of hot rocks, not Pandora's box.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Thankfully the stat government have said they're reviewing the councils funding.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Most insurance through super isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Save 40 bill by gutting the public service so you can spend 80 bil on contractors.