Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Please stop doing the echo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Megabound posted:

This was the most confusing thing to me. Holding up the constitution the same way the seppos talk about theirs and expecting any traction.

Gobbled up the Advance Australia propaganda

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Maybe be a good mother and pump up the kids tyres and show her hope idk. Being a miserable shithead probably isn't helping.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I had WA cops heavy me three times returning to my home in Highgate from the pub to the point that I recognised one of them, and even then they continued to threaten and intimidate me. I never gave them my personal information (I showed them my keys and explained I was entering my home and they were free to observe) and they hated me for it.

Also very scary having three huge dickheads following you home in the middle of the night.

What this dude did is totally natural and within his rights they should lock these cunts up for murder.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

That loving sucks dude and I'm sorry that keeps happening to you. loving pigs.

Ah this was ages ago but thanks it was poo poo. Hard to discern why so many people hate cops.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm sure he's hosed up because he killed a bloke, but it's also his fault so the music should be faced. Getting PTSD because you murdered someone is stiff poo poo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Coward posted:

It's not the murdering cop who is being excused, but the other cop. The one whose gun the bloke allegedly got a handle on.

Is he the sub-murderer then?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Operation Mantus lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Not wearing a provided bodycam should be instant dismissal. In any real job when you gently caress up and circumvent the eye in the sky you get hosed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't really get the point of extinction rebellion loving with stressed out people in traffic during a terrible cost of living crisis. Like nobody is learning anything, traffic is the place reason goes to die.

E: good on them for caring I suppose

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Konomex posted:

If we don't let them block roads in protest, they're going to start bombing poo poo.

Good?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Paracausal posted:

Activism whose strategy centers on performatively being put in handcuffs may be OK for some white middle-class people who don’t have to worry too much if they get arrested. But XR members are blinkered by the dopamine hit they get from expressing their outrage like targeting public transport and forcing people to drive, thereby thinking that they’re taking action by targeting working class people instead of the actual root causes. They're loving stupid.

Yeah it seems like wealthy white people poo poo to me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Laserface posted:

They're a loving op, OP.

like how is 'deliberately go and get arrested to clog up the courts durrr we are big brain Extinction Rebellion' not a blatant loving op.

they are funded and headed by a bunch of rich assholes that invest in airlines and other fossil fuel adjacent poo poo.

even if you believe that deliberately getting arrested isnt an op, they are still very deliberately frustrating ordinary people just trying to get to their bullshit job they hate. it is designed from top to bottom to be ineffective.

They just seem like your stereotypical freak-out driven stunt hippies, but sure maybe a shadowy suit in a tower came up with it.

Their protests do look like a bunch of Zach Snyder extras lol maybe you're on the money

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Megabound posted:

A protest that doesn't inconvenience those in power is handily ignored. Peaceful protest furthers no causes.

*Inserts noise cancelling earbuds. Rests in power.*

Megabound posted:

Inconveniencing the public inconveniences the state. It's a large jump from protesting to blowing up a pipeline (which I would like to see more of) but by making people late to work or whatever you're stopping a city from functioning at capacity. The issue with doing the planned protests in my eyes is that if you're asking the states permission to protest then you're just a line in balance book, that's just the cost of running a city.

This is weak. The government doesn't suffer anything losing the productivity, they suffer from shitloads of furious electors.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Megabound posted:

Good, how do you solve that problem? You either ban protesting or make changes so that the protestors don't want to protest any more.

The people are mad at the protesters, not the issue. You just ban those protesters.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

Tbh those union protests are big inconvenience, we should really clamp down on that poo poo.

I was late to a meeting once due to union protests in Brisbane, wish they’d think about the people needing to get around rather than protesting about whatever it was (unsafe worksites)

It's scale. XR generally seems like three people. Union protests are inconvenient, but the real ones usually target industry and marches are huge. If XR went to terminal ports and hosed them up I think people would be less mad since corporations aren't popular.

There are also huge climate marches and action. XR just strikes me as clubhouse spartacists. As I said I admire the moxy.

E: terminal ports also fucks with the workers there but they can just sit around and wait I guess. Unless they're casuals then they don't get paid.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

Honestly just say that you support using the law to crack down on protests/protesters you don’t like. Hope it doesn’t get used on the ones you do!!

I didn't say anything like that. I said the government will do that. I don't have a strong opinion on XR. I ride my bike to work and if the weather is bad I work from home :)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

There are a lot of pissed off people rn due to cost of living being hosed and they're at max with what they can tolerate. If you give them the options of doing something the easy, fast way (remove impediment to car), or the difficult, slow way (redesign and reimagine transport and energy) it's not tough to guess where the vast majority are going to land.

I was looking at some polling this morning and climate v cost of living as a top five concern are on inverse trajectories.

E: quote me on this in a year, but I also don't think climate is going to factor into election campaigns much at all beside platitudes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What's the deal with the soup cans thing? It's too clever for me probably.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoldStandardConure posted:

that group 'Stop Oil' or whatever threw cans of soup onto some paintings?

Yeah just stop oil. I thought that was also XR?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

As soon as Labor ally with the greens in a formal relationship it's over for them imo. There's still heaps of "centrist" Labor people that would just flip to the libs or a teals type option if the ALP joined with the loony left.

Also internally the ALP's absolutely rabid hatred of the greens would make it a non starter. They'd reestablish the DLP it would own and be really funny tbh.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Labor are owning the immigrants again.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

Phew, good thing Labor caved to increasing violence against refugees yet again, this surely won't be a ratchet this time!

It's because they're about to get owned by the high court again. Then they'll probably get owned by the high court on the new legislation as well lmao.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It will be less funny when the libs win in a landslide because they're the only ones that can stop the hordes of immigrants driving up house prices, taking our jobs and committing youth crimes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hambeet posted:

yeah, but that's more a result of labor being just as eager to play in the gutter, than being unfairly maligned or whatever.

I think the electorate might be a bit racist

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Libs stay winning

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The liberal party believes in freedom, choice and competition. The Labor party believes in ????? enforced by party line.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Who gives a gently caress if any worker smokes weed or whatever on the weekend. gently caress off Wilkie.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

At first I assumed PEDs and was like wow what a scoop, then it turns out it's some kid doing MD on the weekend. Who cares! gently caress off!

JBP fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 27, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The next election is going to loving suck so much. Advance right flanking the libs. I guarantee the libs will have a crowd pleasing housing policy that sounds better than "government invests money and maybe one day uses the money to build a house". They're also going to win the migration arms race very easily. Very amusing/sad to watch Giles poo poo the bed and gently caress up again this week. The man looks like a cartoon strip office outcast.

Labor will go with some extremely lame women wedge that will end up being thwarted immediately by whatever inevitable scandal happens for them, while simultaneously alienating some of their voters with it for no gain. Chalmers will write an essay with three titles about how good the economy is and nobody will read it plus their rent will go up 40%.

The greens should have a good one at least.

Nobody will want to talk about climate change all that much.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

birdstrike posted:

Unless the fires return.

Possibly, but I don't think it will be enough to shift the conversation away from everyone being poor and hosed in the slightly more immediate term.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoldStandardConure posted:

Plenty of people want to talk about climate change.

They just don't want to loving do anything about it and vote Liberals or Labor.

I have doorknocked on so many people who tell you "climage change is the most important issue to me, I want there to be a habitable planet for my grandkids. We need to protect the environment. Thats why I am voting Liberals"

Ok so it's not important then I guess?

The line has gone down badly on climate at a top five concern in any case. It's not going to be consequential to winning the election this go round. The greens will tap the climate sign, but they'll be campaigning on more fertile ground to gain new votes. Which is fair enough and smart.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

All the thread dreams are coming true. Golf courses and facilities are being turned into housing! Luxury townhouses and apartments for people with money by private developers lmao

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Idk if Labor will hang onto majority or not, but the election itself is going to be grotesque

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hashy posted:

Weren't you all just saying Extinction Rebellion is preaching to the converted

I said they're doing antics to impress the other three people back at the xr clubhouse. They're not a group that respects or speaks to normal people experiencing day to day concerns.

Anyway I'm not sure what that has to do with people prioritising housing and economic security as an election issue. Climate just isn't going to cut through the financial distress right now. It's a luxury item.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

Should come to the Northern Rivers if you want to see the impacts of climate change.

Isn't that Page? Nats electorate.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hashy posted:

Anyway they're cringe and fail right? Can we all agree that they're funded by big oil? fail, cringe and a false flag. If we (the converted) keep doing cringe then labor won't be in power to reach the 2048 zero-carbon brisbane train network target

Isn't there a busload of retail casuals that can't make their rent that you could go and bother?

starkebn posted:

You're not wrong, but climate change is making those things even worse than they might otherwise be. Unfortunately we're not very good at analysing big complex systems when we've got to work to put food on the table. It doesn't help that there's a whole misinformation industry busily propagandising at the same time.

Yeah 100% it sucks. It's not like people can't make the connection, but you go into irl stressed and pressured lizard brain mode. I read yesterday that 60% of people in Aus don't have a thousand bucks in their bank account. Absolutely dire.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 28, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hashy posted:

The way to their heart is to post continuously and smugly about how the liberals are going to be in power as long as labor creeps left

Nice meltdown over election conjecture. Maybe you should glue yourself to a bridge for some fresh air.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

freebooter posted:

I dunno, it's a time-honoured tradition in this country to live paycheque to paycheque while pouring almost everything into the mortgage, and in the long run those people are the ones who end up the most financially secure

This doesn't really compute compared to the number of home owners imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Festivals are also hosed because the dollar is bad and Z tier international talent is going to other places that pay better.

Tbh I think festivals are just hosed because the culture has changed and no level of free for all drug use is bringing them back.