Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I thought it was a 48min bait and switch where they didn't sneak in to anything and didn't tell us anything we didn't already know or couldn't find out.

I don't know the format of the channel though maybe that's what it's supposed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

I don't really get the point of extinction rebellion loving with stressed out people in traffic during a terrible cost of living crisis. Like nobody is learning anything, traffic is the place reason goes to die.

E: good on them for caring I suppose

Konomex posted:

If we don't let them block roads in protest, they're going to start bombing poo poo.

They're a loving op, OP.

like how is 'deliberately go and get arrested to clog up the courts durrr we are big brain Extinction Rebellion' not a blatant loving op.

they are funded and headed by a bunch of rich assholes that invest in airlines and other fossil fuel adjacent poo poo.

even if you believe that deliberately getting arrested isnt an op, they are still very deliberately frustrating ordinary people just trying to get to their bullshit job they hate. it is designed from top to bottom to be ineffective.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I had a quick chat with AJ Maddah the other night, about the concert concept I pitched in GBS a couple weeks ago. He agreed it’s the way to go, but it turns out hiring the Showgrounds costs about $420K. And they keep all the food and beverage spend. So it might be better to set up in a park. Centennial is proven obviously, and would work fine (although still has weirdly difficult access considering how central it is), but I do think Newington Armoury would be lovely. One stage, 10-15 bands, preferably Aussie, good food and drinks, out on the grass, set up your spot without having to move, everyone enjoy everything all together, done. There’s even the potential to do camping there if you want to make it a whole lot more complicated. There was at least one camping festival there at one point but I can’t remember what it was.

And yes it would be especially rad if we rebuilt the wharf there, otherwise we can ride down from the Olympic park wharf. Or just get busses and shuttles from the train station.

AJ Maddah drove not only Soundwave, but the Big Day Out also, into the loving ground. He owes multiple bands up to 160k each that he just never paid. He is a piece of poo poo.

Granted BDO was on the out already, but if he had any business sense at all he would've at least made a blip - he didn't.

To answer the question of how do you fix the festival industry:
- grants and funding directly to artists. Not venues or promoters.
- reduced requirements for police presence and reduction in fees. Incentives for good behaviour/low incidents records.
- pill testing, amnesty bins, decrim drugs, ban sniffer dogs etc etc etc
- prevent or deny international megacorps like LiveNation buying venues and promoters (they own half of secret sounds that run Splendour)
- federal minimum wage/fee for all artists with a national fund for insurance to protect artists from losing money like on Splendour.

The problem is everyone at the top is copping the grants from the government and the profits so by the time it trickles down to the artist it's less than a drop in a bucket. But! along the way there is transport and stage crews and management and media and all these other 9-5 mon-fri literal non-creative industries that all get paid and pay government tax etc. so the government doesn't give a poo poo, the money is going into the industry and festivals will boom and bust and artists will lose money and opportunities and it'll keep going.

Go support local music. The best bands you've never heard are playing a bar near you nearly every night of the week in Sydney or Melbourne. It's cheaper, more intimate and it's not an overcrowded, overpriced drug slum (it's just a regular drug slum)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I would significantly more money than 86k for 24hr rotating shifts of emotional trauma

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

imnotinsane posted:

Bloody hell, this guy was spending an average of almost $1300 a visit to get a root. No wonder he's depressed, what a loser.

thats a lotta handjobs!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the website for Sensai Thai Massage (which is in burwood lol not even upmarket) looks like it was whipped up in about 30 seconds on wordpress.

Bruce Lehrmann spent 10 grand to gently caress (lets not kid ourselves it was definitely rape) trafficked women in a lovely rub n tug in burwood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I've always rounded up to the nearest $5/10 on the total bill but I usually only do sit-down dinners in a big group so its split bill anyway and it makes up for the fact we have a bunch of precious cunts that make a bunch of changes to dishes so they dont get tummy aches.