Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Grey Cat posted:

I did admit I was lazy, but also nobody told me what a griddy is yet.

its a dance

hitting the griddy would be doing the dance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Worf posted:

its a dance

hitting the griddy would be doing the dance

So like flossing.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

its when your mashed potatoes aren't smoov

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

TrashMammal posted:

bitch, we invented emojis :dogout:

Reg date Nov 10 2022

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just endlessly painting portraits of Sydney Sweeney on my front door with my own poo poo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Actually, I think the Egyptians invented emojis.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Grey Cat posted:

I did admit I was lazy, but also nobody told me what a griddy is yet.

$4.99 at Waffle House

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

you’re never too old to understand, just too boring to care

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

Actually, I think the Egyptians invented emojis.

Wait a second, I know this one. ඞ

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Griddy is the brother of the Philadelphia Flyers mascot.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cumpantry posted:

Reg date Nov 10 2022

hmmm

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Griddy: A dance of excitement at the prospect of pancakes

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

don’t think i’d hold giving lowtax money as a point of pride

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Why would I need to know gen Z slang, I don't talk to them, why would they even want to talk to me, they don't need me

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 8, 2024

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mogging vs Mewing, or How to Excel in the LooksMaxxing Community

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

redshirt posted:

Just go to this website I've never heard of or something

Spotify and Apple Music will continuously learn what you like and suggest you more stuff you might like automatically.

Roleplaying Dad
Jan 23, 2005

Invisibilityrific
K Pop and uhhh slang. Almost all of it. I might use it in front of my husband or other millennials because we all sound equally as old and clueless but I would never use current slang in front of anyone younger. Even if I know I'm using it correctly.

Because what if they make fun of me? :(

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
youth counterculture has always forged its own intentionally inscrutable fashion and slang. if it made sense to the establishment it would cease to have value as an exclusive shibboleth, which is why it continually evolves weirder and weirder as capital co-opts and commodifies whatever gets mainstream enough to sell. most of the truly stupid poo poo i dont understand is hardly exclusive to the kids. i am generally baffled and disturbed by the absolute state of 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It was that loud, at times. It was also pretty mid times, too.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the youth, their fashion, slang, and culture, are actually very easy to understand with even the slightest bit of empathy and introspection

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

actually heres something i dont understand about Kids These Days. wtf is up with that loving broccoli hair cut

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

actually heres something i dont understand about Kids These Days. wtf is up with that loving broccoli hair cut

one sure answer to every youth fad: because gently caress old people, that’s why

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

it's bussing

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the youth, their fashion, slang, and culture, are actually very easy to understand with even the slightest bit of empathy and introspection

ya. vaping makes u look cool

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cumpantry posted:

it's bussing

its fun and funny to combine slang in this manner. i knopw what they mean and how to use them properly contexually but i'd rather just say "it's giving.... bussin"

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Honestly, despite being solidly middle-aged (40+), it's still the olds that befuddle me the most. If anything, it's getting worse.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 8, 2024

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Aramis posted:

Honesty, despite being solidly middle-aged (40+), it's still the olds that befuddle me the most. If anything, it's getting worse.

this world is a hell designed by crazed gods for people such as you. sorry you had to find out this way

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I can’t tell the difference between a dua lipa and an Olivia Rodrigo and a whatever other singers out there, they all look and sound identical to me.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Aramis posted:

Honesty, despite being solidly middle-aged (40+), it's still the olds that befuddle me the most. If anything, it's getting worse.

Accurate. The older I get the less I understand what the hell went wrong for some old people to be the way they are lol. At least I understand that there will always be new slang and styles and games, but I don't understand being a crotchety rear end in a top hat.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I went to lunch today and the person a couple booths over from me was watching something on their phone, loud, with no headphones. A few tables over same thing, full blast, music videos. Not kids, grown adults. I just don’t get that.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
we really hosed up as a global society to allow anime to continue to be around

like this dragon ball z guy? it should have been the guillotine years ago

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Grey Cat posted:

Accurate. The older I get the less I understand what the hell went wrong for some old people to be the way they are lol. At least I understand that there will always be new slang and styles and games, but I don't understand being a crotchety rear end in a top hat.

you are on the path to wisdom

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Grey Cat posted:

they stopped understanding slang and dancing and it went down hill from there

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm 37 and I still do not nor will I ever understand selfies. I don't want to look at me, why would anyone else want to

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm 37 and I still do not nor will I ever understand selfies. I don't want to look at me, why would anyone else want to

we don't

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
The lack of understanding of navigating file explorer, clearing your cache and cookies, alt+tab, win+D, how to install software

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Grey Cat posted:

It makes more sense when you realize that for all of human history until about the 60's it was standard practice to beat your children.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Vakal posted:

It makes more sense when you realize that for all of human history until about the 60's it was standard practice to beat your children.

its still legal in Liberal Bastion of Human Rights in America Massachusetts to administer corporal punishment to children as long as "they give u a reason"

cases as recent as 10 years ago were tried and basically used colonial law as precedent. ive contacted every applicable state politician to my district on this to no avail

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
People.in this thread really showing their rear end in not knowing the difference between emoji and emoticon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

TrashMammal posted:

one sure answer to every youth fad: because gently caress old people, that’s why

This is the answer really.

The whole reason young people have slang and get into new weird nonsense things is to have their own stuff and exclude the olds that dominate every other part of their life. Even if you did work your rear end off to figure out what they're currently doing, they're just gonna double down and get even weirder to keep you excluded. Let them have their skip toilets or whatever. You were just as stupid at that age too.