Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

frumpykvetchbot posted:

again with the making people wait for you strawman.

You can allow yourself in your daily routine to be liberated from the concept of timeliness without "imposing" anything on anybody else.

What are these "meetings" of which you speak? From past experience in the horologically enslaved world under Corpo I know that there are types of work setups that only function with synchronized facetime and meetings all the time. So I don't institute such work setups in my small but successful organization.

Everybody you interact with can in principle just share their thoughts asynchronously via emails or in a slack channel or whatever. Raise issues through there. Only if exceptions arise of immense importance threatening to bring down the show do you need to ever hit the call button which is an imposition, a demand for your attention, disrupting whatever you're presently doing. The assumption is that it must be pretty urgent and it's the yellow button next to the nuclear option.

But even for those rare situations our rule is to only let the call chime ring for a few seconds. Enough so that if you're within earshot you know someone wants a realtime conversation and the assumption is that it must be pretty urgent. So I respond to that within a few minutes usually. Take a piss first or get a coffee from the machine and check my appearance before I sit down ready to be on voice and/or camera. The other party wants my attention, and now I'm comfortable and focused and ready to have that conversation. Go.

I suspect that most work-from-home orgs could adopt these principles if they wanted to. Obviously not applicable for a worksite with lots of realtime orchestration and micro-coordination. And that's not the kind of work that I do or care to be involved with.

But to answer the question you keep bringing up, of course I show up on time if we have agreed on a meeting. My phone has a google calendar chime thing. I do know what a schedule is and if I have to take like a flight or something of course I can't expect them to wait for me. But this happens so rarely, like a few times a month, so that I can mentally switch, temporarily, from our civilized and gentle "island time" to the barbary which is the "city time" world of the horologically enslaved, emissaries from which we mustn't disappoint by letting them waste precious expensive seconds of their so-efficiently packed schedules.

The vast majority of meetings that I take are with the CFO and CEO, or sometimes VP or president, depending on the company layout, externally.

Quantifiably only about 15% of my meetings are internal and ultimately most of those are optional if something else is going on that actually addresses the business in a meaningful way

But it’s pretty funny that suddenly, of course, timeliness is something that you adhere to when XYZ circumstances are met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Worf posted:

It was a reference to your propensity for sloth

I hope I never meet anyone who is so annoying about punctuality itl

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Worf posted:

The vast majority of meetings that I take are with the CFO and CEO, or sometimes VP or president, depending on the company layout, externally.

Quantifiably only about 15% of my meetings are internal and ultimately most of those are optional if something else is going on that actually addresses the business in a meaningful way

But it’s pretty funny that suddenly, of course, timeliness is something that you adhere to when XYZ circumstances are met.

Shut the gently caress up you tedious dullard

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

I hope I never meet anyone who is so annoying about punctuality itl

Don’t worry, I guarantee that you won’t Lmao

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

Shut the gently caress up you tedious dullard

That’s cool I’m guessing you’re like a sandwich engineer or something

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Y'all are still experiencing time linearly? Lol that is so past present and future.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Worf posted:

all right Gordon Gecko you're very cool I like your watch

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Cool or not, my interests aren’t served by showing up 20 minutes late and acting like timeliness is a fetish

Retiring in a timely fashion is going to be my fetish

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Embrace it. It's truly you. Much cooler way to look at it than heart attack from stress as your pitiful epitaph.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
8===D

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Bluemillion posted:

Flipmode is the greatest.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i dont think punctuality/timeliness is something you can be too old to understand. again, it's largely cultural. you can continue your slapfight in pms or maybe start a "concept of time" meGATHREAD

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I like punctuality but london's transport system and everyone I know being queer means that I've had to give up on expecting anyone to be anywhere near on time for anything

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I'll start the megathread

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

frumpykvetchbot posted:

You can allow yourself in your daily routine to be liberated from the concept of timeliness without "imposing" anything on anybody else.

What are these "meetings" of which you speak? From past experience in the horologically enslaved world under Corpo I know that there are types of work setups that only function with synchronized facetime and meetings all the time. So I don't institute such work setups in my small but successful organization.

Everybody you interact with can in principle just share their thoughts asynchronously via emails or in a slack channel or whatever. Raise issues through there. Only if exceptions arise of immense importance threatening to bring down the show do you need to ever hit the call button which is an imposition, a demand for your attention, disrupting whatever you're presently doing. The assumption is that it must be pretty urgent and it's the yellow button next to the nuclear option.

But even for those rare situations our rule is to only let the call chime ring for a few seconds. Enough so that if you're within earshot you know someone wants a realtime conversation and the assumption is that it must be pretty urgent. So I respond to that within a few minutes usually. Take a piss first or get a coffee from the machine and check my appearance before I sit down ready to be on voice and/or camera. The other party wants my attention, and now I'm comfortable and focused and ready to have that conversation. Go.

I suspect that most work-from-home orgs could adopt these principles if they wanted to. Obviously not applicable for a worksite with lots of realtime orchestration and micro-coordination. And that's not the kind of work that I do or care to be involved with.

But to answer the question you keep bringing up, of course I show up on time if we have agreed on a meeting. My phone has a google calendar chime thing. I do know what a schedule is and if I have to take like a flight or something of course I can't expect them to wait for me. But this happens so rarely, like a few times a month, so that I can mentally switch, temporarily, from our civilized and gentle "island time" to the barbary which is the "city time" world of the horologically enslaved, emissaries from which we mustn't disappoint by letting them waste precious expensive seconds of their so-efficiently packed schedules.

jesus christ lol

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

my eyes glazed over when i saw that post the first time but i'm glad i read it again because lmao

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I like punctuality but london's transport system and everyone I know being queer means that I've had to give up on expecting anyone to be anywhere near on time for anything

Hello, bad public transit buddy.

Oh the Q train isn't running this weekend. I guess I won't be seeing my friends :smith:

peachy...
Jan 15, 2020

~hey~
Time sucks. It never stops

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Sobriety is a fetish, really, and while I'll entertain it for things have to (court hearings, job interviews, etc) I just think people should do away with this fabrication of "alcoholism is bad" and embrace who they are: alcoholics.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

syntaxfunction posted:

Sobriety is a fetish, really, and while I'll entertain it for things have to (court hearings, job interviews, etc) I just think people should do away with this fabrication of "alcoholism is bad" and embrace who they are: alcoholics.
I've been struggling with sobriety for years now and think it might be time to give an alternative the chance it needs.

Also regarding being on time. I'm always late, but that's because I'm a lazy selfish rear end in a top hat, not because I'm trying to undo years of culturally imposed timeliness.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Yeah this.

Mostly though I try to do business with people who aren't uptight assholes. I'm meeting my accountant tomorrow to talk about some stuff "after 4" if I get there at 4:30 my accountant will have just been catching up on other poo poo. Might grab a drink after.

There's an important difference between "X needs to be done by [datetime]" and "you need to be at your desk by 9 doing X because I say so".

In conclusion

frumpykvetchbot posted:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

shut the gently caress up about being on time!!!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Oldstench posted:

I've been struggling with sobriety for years now and think it might be time to give an alternative the chance it needs.

Also regarding being on time. I'm always late, but that's because I'm a lazy selfish rear end in a top hat, not because I'm trying to undo years of culturally imposed timeliness.

It's not for everyone but Medical weed for my arthritis stopped my need for alcohol entirely. I only drink for occasional fun or usually taste these days and bars are so much better with soft alternatives now I usually don't even need to.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i dont think punctuality/timeliness is something you can be too old to understand. again, it's largely cultural. you can continue your slapfight in pms or maybe start a "concept of time" meGATHREAD

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

shut the gently caress up about being on time!!!

3 hours between these, you're late

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

look you can call me anything you like, just don't call me late for dinner haha

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

3 hours between these, you're late

*atpping the "Final Warning" sign*

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4056432

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

:thanks:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

we need a finger guns smiley.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

peachy... posted:

Time sucks. It never stops

just move at lightspeed, lol

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
"Repent, Harlequin!" said the Ticktockman

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

yeah i'll post there....LATER

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Today I saw a clickbait post on FB that "BBLs be stinkin" so I had to look up what a BBL is (acronym for Brazilian butt lift) and why they be stinkin. It's a hygiene issue. Women aren't prepared to take care of their new gigantic asses. Another instance of learning something new and feeling dumber despite it.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Today I saw a clickbait post on FB that "BBLs be stinkin" so I had to look up what a BBL is (acronym for Brazilian butt lift) and why they be stinkin. It's a hygiene issue. Women aren't prepared to take care of their new gigantic asses. Another instance of learning something new and feeling dumber despite it.

i find that immensely hard to believe tbh

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

redshirt posted:

I have no idea how to find new music, and I've given up trying.

https://www.gnoosic.com/

I miss the Waffles.fm spider web, that thing was great

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

loving lol.

You are really gonna type this self masturbatory nonsense out and still expect anyone to believe you function as a self employed person? With clients that you actually interact with and that pay you? Or is gonna paid for your services a fetish too? Is that just something for the corpos?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

big nipples big life posted:

we need a finger guns smiley.

:ocelot:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i find that immensely hard to believe tbh

It didn't seem very empirical - just some guys on tiktok posting about a BBL that be stinkin and then the response https://www.theroot.com/men-on-tiktok-complain-bbls-do-be-stinkin-but-women-1851303225

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

ReelBigLizard posted:

It's not for everyone but Medical weed for my arthritis stopped my need for alcohol entirely. I only drink for occasional fun or usually taste these days and bars are so much better with soft alternatives now I usually don't even need to.
Sorry, you misunderstood. I've been sober for years and am struggling with that. I'm looking to get back into intoxicants. Riding this poo poo out bareback ain't working for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Oldstench posted:

Sorry, you misunderstood. I've been sober for years and am struggling with that. I'm looking to get back into intoxicants. Riding this poo poo out bareback ain't working for me.

Oh lol fair enough I definitely recommend vaping the devil's lettuce. No smoke, no hangover just fun times and it makes your knees work again. Or hell just find some gummies that work good for you.