Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Poohs Packin posted:

You mean like a Garmin?

It would probably be better for walking than driving, but it would be nice to have the path highlighted or even just arrows. Basically video game GPS in real life. It would be great in an unfamiliar city.You can use a phone, but walking around with it out or constantly stopping to take it out kind of suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

strapping yelp to your face? :whitewater:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It would probably be better for walking than driving, but it would be nice to have the path highlighted or even just arrows. Basically video game GPS in real life. It would be great in an unfamiliar city.You can use a phone, but walking around with it out or constantly stopping to take it out kind of suck.

still going with the balls in hot oil over this but I can remember things like "walk 2 blocks then turn left".

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Worf posted:

you dont really need to because these are not things ive ever heard discussed outside of the internet, largely by ppl that i assume stay inside

i teach middle school and let me assure you kids say all of this poo poo on a regular basis

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

babypolis posted:

i teach middle school and let me assure you kids say all of this poo poo on a regular basis

Goondolences

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

babypolis posted:

another sterling example of goons having no insight whatsoever into the lives of normal and popular people

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
What ever happened to G1mmel, that's what I wanna know, he was the home of the g1mjob!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

TrashMammal posted:

another sterling example of goons having no insight whatsoever into the lives of normal and popular people

yeah that poo poo might have been true in our times but these days theres zero separation between online and real life

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

babypolis posted:

yeah that poo poo might have been true in our times but these days theres zero separation between online and real life

Yea in literal middle school

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

AKA Pseudonym posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs

no. never. stop it.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Worf posted:

Yea in literal middle school

those middle schoolers will one day grow up into adults and i bet you they will maintain the same relationship with online content as they do now

TIMES HAVE CHANGED OLD MAN

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MY X-MEN, TO ME!!!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Do a black mirror where after generations of this the Internet goes out and it stops working and people starve almost immediately not understanding they could take the food without the overlay.

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
childrens television. primary coloured featureless space, some building blocks and a toddler being directed around, a cgi mascot doing some vague something i dont know

but I am not a toddler I am just a big baby

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
XD is the best proto emoji. Prove me wrong :colbert:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dixville posted:

( . ) ( . )

Or 80085

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Dixville posted:

ʕ´•㉨•`ʔ

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

big fan of -_-

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TrashMammal posted:

ʕ´•㉨•`ʔ

And they tell me Ra has been defeated!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Worf posted:

( . ) ( . )

Or 80085

Fair

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Dixville posted:

:3

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Dixville posted:

=^..^=

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Worf posted:

Yeah youve never had a job and I suspect your self employment income comes from the government/ your mom

Respecting other people's time when you know that regardless of your own outlook,they're going to be bound to a schedule isn't a vice

It's being part of society / not a narcissist / sociopath

I couldn't convince you of this, ofc, because you're a self described hermit

FKB is right. Timeliness is a fetish and one day we'll realise imposing it on others without consent is just as unacceptable as turning up late.

I'm self employed, and an employer. None of our employees have hard start times, we trust them to get the work done and deal with client jobs in a reasonable time.

Gonna be late because you need to drop your kid or hit the DMV when it's not busy? Cool. Make it up later and don't take the piss.

We've been running 3 years, still turning profit, paying mortgages with full health cover. Even picked up an investor.

Anyway I gotta go, gonna head into the office for like, maybe eightish today.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dixville posted:

Nothing tops the universal usefulness of :-/

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

AEMINAL posted:

what the gently caress are emojis? why are there so many? i swear there are more than a million available. it's become a freaking chore picking one that fits whatever context is required, and people will think you're weird if you don't use them lol

back in my day we did fine with:
:-)
:-D
:-(

and perhaps maybe if feeling a bit adventurous... ;-)

sigh, simpler times!

I agree! When I was 13 there was no internet so we had to just use our faces!

To make emojis!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I barely understand facebook, instasnaptok is beyond me. I just know they should probably be banned along with phones and computers that are not beige.

Non CRT technologies are also sus.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ReelBigLizard posted:

FKB is right. Timeliness is a fetish and one day we'll realise imposing it on others without consent is just as unacceptable as turning up late.

I'm self employed, and an employer. None of our employees have hard start times, we trust them to get the work done and deal with client jobs in a reasonable time.

Gonna be late because you need to drop your kid or hit the DMV when it's not busy? Cool. Make it up later and don't take the piss.

We've been running 3 years, still turning profit, paying mortgages with full health cover. Even picked up an investor.

Anyway I gotta go, gonna head into the office for like, maybe eightish today.

So you have no problem showing up to meetings late if you schedule a meeting with somebody? Do you just tell them that timeliness is a fetish?

There’s a difference between dropping your kid off somewhere or just not giving a rats rear end about peoples time because you don’t believe in time as a concept. Showing up to some shift at a certain time is not really something that I worry about too much.

But I’m sorry it’s not real that you just set meetings and then show up 20 minutes late to your own meeting because you believe that other people are going to find your time fetish excuse acceptable lmao

They could even agree with you and they would still be beholden to the 90% of people that think that’s a crock of poo poo which is basically the point

Congratulations on your mortgage though I paid my first one off years ago. In a timely fashion actually.

Worf fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 14, 2024

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Worf posted:

So you have no problem showing up to meetings late if you schedule a meeting with somebody? Do you just tell them that timeliness is a fetish?

Timeliness is a fetish and only matters if you're at the DMV

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

b mad at me posted:

Timeliness is a fetish and only matters if you're at the DMV

So you have no problem making a room full of people wait on you regardless of what they might have going on after?

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Worf posted:

So you have no problem making a room full of people wait on you regardless of what they might have going on after?

This is a question without a predicate.

Why is the room full of people waiting on me?

What do they have going on after?

After what?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

b mad at me posted:

This is a question without a predicate.

Why is the room full of people waiting on me?

What do they have going on after?

After what?

If you actually read the first post that you quoted, you would see that I’m talking about a meeting.

You win though dude I’m done with this. You’re a slob I get it lmao

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Worf posted:

( . ) ( . )

Or 80085

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Worf posted:

If you actually read the first post that you quoted, you would see that I’m talking about a meeting.

You win though dude I’m done with this. You’re a slob I get it lmao

go gently caress yourself you self-righteous piece of poo poo

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

b mad at me posted:

go gently caress yourself you self-righteous piece of poo poo

- Posted from my CPAP

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If timeliness is a fetish then insisting on a lack of timeliness has gotta also be a fetish right? It's like the tits v rear end of time management if you think about it.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Worf posted:

- Posted from my CPAP

How do you post from a CPAP?

Only you know, apparently.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
again with the making people wait for you strawman.

You can allow yourself in your daily routine to be liberated from the concept of timeliness without "imposing" anything on anybody else.

What are these "meetings" of which you speak? From past experience in the horologically enslaved world under Corpo I know that there are types of work setups that only function with synchronized facetime and meetings all the time. So I don't institute such work setups in my small but successful organization.

Everybody you interact with can in principle just share their thoughts asynchronously via emails or in a slack channel or whatever. Raise issues through there. Only if exceptions arise of immense importance threatening to bring down the show do you need to ever hit the call button which is an imposition, a demand for your attention, disrupting whatever you're presently doing. The assumption is that it must be pretty urgent and it's the yellow button next to the nuclear option.

But even for those rare situations our rule is to only let the call chime ring for a few seconds. Enough so that if you're within earshot you know someone wants a realtime conversation and the assumption is that it must be pretty urgent. So I respond to that within a few minutes usually. Take a piss first or get a coffee from the machine and check my appearance before I sit down ready to be on voice and/or camera. The other party wants my attention, and now I'm comfortable and focused and ready to have that conversation. Go.

I suspect that most work-from-home orgs could adopt these principles if they wanted to. Obviously not applicable for a worksite with lots of realtime orchestration and micro-coordination. And that's not the kind of work that I do or care to be involved with.

But to answer the question you keep bringing up, of course I show up on time if we have agreed on a meeting. My phone has a google calendar chime thing. I do know what a schedule is and if I have to take like a flight or something of course I can't expect them to wait for me. But this happens so rarely, like a few times a month, so that I can mentally switch, temporarily, from our civilized and gentle "island time" to the barbary which is the "city time" world of the horologically enslaved, emissaries from which we mustn't disappoint by letting them waste precious expensive seconds of their so-efficiently packed schedules.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

b mad at me posted:

How do you post from a CPAP?

Only you know, apparently.

It was a reference to your propensity for sloth

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Worf posted:

It was a reference to your propensity for sloth

Please explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just get an automatic watch and never bother to sync up the time so it is constantly adrift. If you really need to tell the time, you have a phone.