Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

thank goodness im young enough to not be confused by the poo poo old people are i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

satanic splash-back posted:

Goon slang blindness strikes again

yea its kinda embarrassing ngl, considering this is (presumably?) coming from the generation of people that acronymized entire sentences as shorthand lmao

if youre like 32 and struggle to communicate with a 25 year old this is probably on u

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I was like why is everyone freaking out about Sydney Sweeney she’s conventionally attractive and then she took her boobs out and I was like oh this is America going simple over boobs which is something I do relate to.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

dee eight posted:

think young, stay young, AARP can suck my balls

*paints a meme on the cave wall with my own feces*

whats your fee to paint one with my feces

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Grey Cat posted:

I did admit I was lazy, but also nobody told me what a griddy is yet.

its a dance

hitting the griddy would be doing the dance

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Grey Cat posted:

Accurate. The older I get the less I understand what the hell went wrong for some old people to be the way they are lol. At least I understand that there will always be new slang and styles and games, but I don't understand being a crotchety rear end in a top hat.

they stopped understanding slang and dancing and it went down hill from there

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Vakal posted:

It makes more sense when you realize that for all of human history until about the 60's it was standard practice to beat your children.

its still legal in Liberal Bastion of Human Rights in America Massachusetts to administer corporal punishment to children as long as "they give u a reason"

cases as recent as 10 years ago were tried and basically used colonial law as precedent. ive contacted every applicable state politician to my district on this to no avail

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Spagghentleman posted:

I didn’t understand the whole Zyn craze thing for a while. But I hopped on that bandwagon and haven’t had a smoke for over a week now and it wasn’t even that difficult.

I mean I just substituted one thing for another and now I have to wean off these stupid nicotine lip pillow things. Better for my lungs anyway. :coolspot:

soak it in ur coffee like teabags imo

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

MoonshineWilly posted:

Stop calling them apps, they’re programs, you fuckers.

holy poo poo no lmao

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I still don't know what a sigma male is.

you dont really need to because these are not things ive ever heard discussed outside of the internet, largely by ppl that i assume stay inside

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The TikTok trend of people pooping their pants. The kids are calling it PooPoppin

You ppl can finally be cool

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i have a lil calculator watch

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Squiggle posted:

Do X , but do not ever become a X Person

ftfy

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

dreezy posted:

if there was only one exception whats the best thing person to be

alive

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

frumpykvetchbot posted:

I think it's unhealthy to worry about time more accurately than that.

its cool that in your life, nobody gives a poo poo if you arrive to anything 10 minutes after it has started

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

syntaxfunction posted:

Things goons can't understand:
Taylor Swift
The way those kids talk
Time???

So basically goons can eat and poop

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

frumpykvetchbot posted:

be self employed,
live like a hermit
=
all interaction on your terms

I've been self-employed and still had to make meetings with people that got me money

It's cool that you don't care about punctuality though but that's not really a function of being self-employed lol

And then when I consulted with people that were self-employed, they still had to make meetings that I set with them so I'm not really sure I see the correlation. I'm sure it's working out well for you though

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

frumpykvetchbot posted:

the fact that you fret about this time thing only proves my point.

I couldn't convince you that you're wrong about it and that timeliness is a vice,
any more than one of those urbanist youtubers yelling about stroads
could change the minds of typical carbrained americans who actually love
their stroads and suburban cul-de-sacs far removed from any chance at salvation.

Yeah youve never had a job and I suspect your self employment income comes from the government/ your mom

Respecting other people's time when you know that regardless of your own outlook,they're going to be bound to a schedule isn't a vice

It's being part of society / not a narcissist / sociopath

I couldn't convince you of this, ofc, because you're a self described hermit

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The Bible posted:

So just let it go, you're arguing with some guy on the Internet.

Nah

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Yes I do tend to ignore advice from people that can't follow it in spirit and engage me while telling me not to engage others

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Chicken Butt posted:

I actually quite like these Zoomers, they never talk on the phone or watch television, and I deeply respect those choices. TV and phone calls are gross mind-numbing 20th-Century trash.

Yea

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Grey Cat posted:

I'm only punctual to a flight or something like that. If you think I'm showing up to a get together or work on time for minimum wage then lol.

tbf if somebody works for minimum wage their time literally isnt valuable so its kinda moot

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i think theres probably more medical benefit to certain wearables than anything at this point

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

TrashMammal posted:

numbers say the wearable market just keeps getting bigger and is likely to keep trending that way. goons ain’t got no insight whatsoever into the lives of normal and popular people

lol p much this

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lol at kids not knowing how analog clocks work

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

babypolis posted:

yeah that poo poo might have been true in our times but these days theres zero separation between online and real life

Yea in literal middle school

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dixville posted:

XD is the best proto emoji. Prove me wrong :colbert:

( . ) ( . )

Or 80085

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ReelBigLizard posted:

FKB is right. Timeliness is a fetish and one day we'll realise imposing it on others without consent is just as unacceptable as turning up late.

I'm self employed, and an employer. None of our employees have hard start times, we trust them to get the work done and deal with client jobs in a reasonable time.

Gonna be late because you need to drop your kid or hit the DMV when it's not busy? Cool. Make it up later and don't take the piss.

We've been running 3 years, still turning profit, paying mortgages with full health cover. Even picked up an investor.

Anyway I gotta go, gonna head into the office for like, maybe eightish today.

So you have no problem showing up to meetings late if you schedule a meeting with somebody? Do you just tell them that timeliness is a fetish?

There’s a difference between dropping your kid off somewhere or just not giving a rats rear end about peoples time because you don’t believe in time as a concept. Showing up to some shift at a certain time is not really something that I worry about too much.

But I’m sorry it’s not real that you just set meetings and then show up 20 minutes late to your own meeting because you believe that other people are going to find your time fetish excuse acceptable lmao

They could even agree with you and they would still be beholden to the 90% of people that think that’s a crock of poo poo which is basically the point

Congratulations on your mortgage though I paid my first one off years ago. In a timely fashion actually.

Worf fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 14, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

b mad at me posted:

Timeliness is a fetish and only matters if you're at the DMV

So you have no problem making a room full of people wait on you regardless of what they might have going on after?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

b mad at me posted:

This is a question without a predicate.

Why is the room full of people waiting on me?

What do they have going on after?

After what?

If you actually read the first post that you quoted, you would see that I’m talking about a meeting.

You win though dude I’m done with this. You’re a slob I get it lmao

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

b mad at me posted:

go gently caress yourself you self-righteous piece of poo poo

- Posted from my CPAP

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

b mad at me posted:

How do you post from a CPAP?

Only you know, apparently.

It was a reference to your propensity for sloth

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

frumpykvetchbot posted:

again with the making people wait for you strawman.

You can allow yourself in your daily routine to be liberated from the concept of timeliness without "imposing" anything on anybody else.

What are these "meetings" of which you speak? From past experience in the horologically enslaved world under Corpo I know that there are types of work setups that only function with synchronized facetime and meetings all the time. So I don't institute such work setups in my small but successful organization.

Everybody you interact with can in principle just share their thoughts asynchronously via emails or in a slack channel or whatever. Raise issues through there. Only if exceptions arise of immense importance threatening to bring down the show do you need to ever hit the call button which is an imposition, a demand for your attention, disrupting whatever you're presently doing. The assumption is that it must be pretty urgent and it's the yellow button next to the nuclear option.

But even for those rare situations our rule is to only let the call chime ring for a few seconds. Enough so that if you're within earshot you know someone wants a realtime conversation and the assumption is that it must be pretty urgent. So I respond to that within a few minutes usually. Take a piss first or get a coffee from the machine and check my appearance before I sit down ready to be on voice and/or camera. The other party wants my attention, and now I'm comfortable and focused and ready to have that conversation. Go.

I suspect that most work-from-home orgs could adopt these principles if they wanted to. Obviously not applicable for a worksite with lots of realtime orchestration and micro-coordination. And that's not the kind of work that I do or care to be involved with.

But to answer the question you keep bringing up, of course I show up on time if we have agreed on a meeting. My phone has a google calendar chime thing. I do know what a schedule is and if I have to take like a flight or something of course I can't expect them to wait for me. But this happens so rarely, like a few times a month, so that I can mentally switch, temporarily, from our civilized and gentle "island time" to the barbary which is the "city time" world of the horologically enslaved, emissaries from which we mustn't disappoint by letting them waste precious expensive seconds of their so-efficiently packed schedules.

The vast majority of meetings that I take are with the CFO and CEO, or sometimes VP or president, depending on the company layout, externally.

Quantifiably only about 15% of my meetings are internal and ultimately most of those are optional if something else is going on that actually addresses the business in a meaningful way

But it’s pretty funny that suddenly, of course, timeliness is something that you adhere to when XYZ circumstances are met.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

I hope I never meet anyone who is so annoying about punctuality itl

Don’t worry, I guarantee that you won’t Lmao

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

Shut the gently caress up you tedious dullard

That’s cool I’m guessing you’re like a sandwich engineer or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

frumpykvetchbot posted:

all right Gordon Gecko you're very cool I like your watch

Cool or not, my interests aren’t served by showing up 20 minutes late and acting like timeliness is a fetish

Retiring in a timely fashion is going to be my fetish